PDA

View Full Version : Strange Graphical Problems

Lucky_guess
04-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I used to be able to play the game fine on lowest settings (I have a dual core CPU, and it's a laptop), With 25ish fps. While painful to look at, I could somewhat play the game. However, recently (within the past week or two I would imagine) I have encountered some seriously strange graphical problems.

If I switch back to dx 10 instead of forcing 9 this problem goes away, however the fps I get from dx10 is about 15 fps, pretty much unplayable. When I load the game forcing 9 in settings.ini, the game loads fine, I can connect to a server fine, my hud and weapon viewmode is displayed fine - however everything else has this strange problem, converting the entire map into lovely triangles that glitch and flash all about on the screen rapidly, as shown in this screenshot. http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1893/bc2glitch.jpg

Doesn't matter if I am spectating, spawning, or ingame, these triangles of terrain flash about the screen rapidly, no matter where I look.

Specs:
Windows Vista SP1 32 bit
4 GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 512 mb
Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1GHz

ATI settings are lowest everything, AI on highest - I confirmed that I get more fps with it on highest, and turning it down or off does not fix this problem.

Conents of my settings file from [Graphics]
[Graphics]
Effects=low
Soldiers=low
Vehicles=low
Overgrowth=low
Undergrowth=low
StaticObjects=low
Terrain=low
Shadows=low
Bloom=false
HSAO=false
MSAA=0
Water=low
MainQuality=custom
Texture=low
DxVersion=9
Aniso=0
Detail=low
RenderAheadLimit=0
Fov=65

Any ideas on what is causing this, and how I can fix it?

5hi7h34d
04-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I had an old Nvidia 7900GT I put into service recently on an extra machine waiting for an RMA and it did exactly that. Your card looks like it might be new enough to RMA the entire laptop? I think it's bad.

It is a laptop right? This brings heat into the realm of likely issues also. Raise it up and blow a fan under it to dissipate as much heat as possible when playing.

Lucky_guess
04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
It isn't a heat problem and I can run the game on dx10 no problem for hours on end with no heat issues either - just on dx10 I have very low framerate (about 10 less compared to 9, and I only have 30ish on 9)

A few weeks ago I could run 9 without this problem - Could it be a recent update to the game that caused this, or did something change/happen with my hardware possibly?

5hi7h34d
04-04-2010, 06:29 PM
More stress from the dx10 features? Run speedfan and monitor it. I still think it's heat.

Lucky_guess
04-04-2010, 06:38 PM
I do actually have a small external fan under my laptop, and a stand that has it raised about 6 inches off the surface, and it is near a window blowing relatively cool air, ideal conditions really. The fact that dx10 runs fine just with less fps and dx9 has better framerate but these strange triangles flashing about the screen makes me think it is a software issue, something in the ATI settings trying to smooth something over or something, but as far as I can tell I have everything turned to lowest in the ATI settings.