PDA

View Full Version : Question.

Danezilla
04-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Since Steam is giving away Borderlands for $24.99, why can't the price be permanent? Because I'm sure most people will buy the game to take advantage of the low price, but since most people will now have the game, then only a few people are gonna buy it in the future. So why not just keep the price so that more gamers can buy it in the future?

ultradude25
04-05-2010, 06:23 AM
People actually buy Borderlands? Wow.

davlyn_20
04-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Since Steam is giving away Borderlands for $24.99, why can't the price be permanent? Because I'm sure most people will buy the game to take advantage of the low price, but since most people will now have the game, then only a few people are gonna buy it in the future. So why not just keep the price so that more gamers can buy it in the future?

Thats what we call business, time is money, money is doing stuff not too right. :p

davlyn_20
04-05-2010, 06:29 AM

lol, you are funny :D

natemckn
04-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Why do all stores have limited time sales? A really low price and a time limit make people think "the price will not be this low again for a while, I better get it now!" whereas a permanent price drop makes people think "wow, thats a good price, but maybe it will drop more if I wait another week or two" and then they get distracted by a different game and don't end up buying it. The temporary sale creates a large demand thus resulting in more sales and more money.

Example: Borderlands and L4D2. Valve just cut the price for L4D2 from $50 to $30, at the same time Borderlands is a temporary markdown from $50 to $25. Borderlands is currently the top seller on Steam, L4D2 is 6th

Danezilla
04-05-2010, 06:46 AM
Why do all stores have limited time sales? A really low price and a time limit make people think "the price will not be this low again for a while, I better get it now!" whereas a permanent price drop makes people think "wow, thats a good price, but maybe it will drop more if I wait another week or two" and then they get distracted by a different game and don't end up buying it. The temporary sale creates a large demand thus resulting in more sales and more money.

Example: Borderlands and L4D2. Valve just cut the price for L4D2 from $50 to $30, at the same time Borderlands is a temporary markdown from $50 to $25. Borderlands is currently the top seller on Steam, L4D2 is 6th

But LFD2 is selling good too! And the price is permanent!

L.o.D.
04-05-2010, 06:49 AM

Considering that there's almost 5,000 people playing it right now, I would have to say yes, they do.

Skaery
04-05-2010, 07:04 AM
But LFD2 is selling good too! And the price is permanent!
Not as good as when there was a big 50% off sign on it.

This is how a lot of minds work (put as an example).
Game price = X
SALE price = 0.5X - "I need to get this game right now before the sale ends"
Game price = X - "Ahh, I'm too late for the sale, but all my friends bought it. Guess I'll have to buy it for X"
New price = 0.5X - "Nice new price, but there will probably be a sale soon, and, thus, I will wait"

Washell
04-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Since Steam is giving away Borderlands for $24.99, why can't the price be permanent?

Answer: because they make more money the way they do it now. They're a business, not Santa Claus.

mouton
04-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Not as good as when there was a big 50% off sign on it.

This is how a lot of minds work (put as an example).
Game price = X
SALE price = 0.5X - "I need to get this game right now before the sale ends"
Game price = X - "Ahh, I'm too late for the sale, but all my friends bought it. Guess I'll have to buy it for X"
New price = 0.5X - "Nice new price, but there will probably be a sale soon, and, thus, I will wait"
Not to mention the fact that the normal price can, in extreme circumstances, be two times the retail one. "Ooooh, 50% sale, MUST BUY"