PDA

View Full Version : War huh, what is it good for? Absolutely...

Validuz
04-05-2010, 04:16 PM
EVERYTHING... god i hate peace... no battles no quarrels and no helping my fellow lords out to gain their respect...

not to mention the gold, loot and castlecrashing! anyway... every now and then my king decides he dont want to fight anymore(what a duche, right?) so i ride around for a while... and then for quite some time more... untill my king gets pissed at the neighbour and declares war... BUT! that usually takes too damn long...

in normal M&B u could raid enemy supply caravans and the enemy usually declared war upon ur country and that fixes my whole problem... but i did it and my king got pissed and i lost 10rep with him... is there any other way to start a war?

warmonger23
04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I havent delved that deep in the politics stuff. But seeing alot of old features from the original M&B are in. I assume if you get a good standing with a lord you can make plots and im sure your not the only lord who hates peace.

And if not, I guess tournaments are a good income during peacetime and you got your fights

Oriental Sniper
04-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Look for someone to plot with, see what lord is in bad relation with the king, befriend him, he will give you quests to provoke wars or..... make your own faction, play by your own rules, that's what I did after the Vaegirs dint't compensate me for helping them.

Validuz
04-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Look for someone to plot with, see what lord is in bad relation with the king, befriend him, he will give you quests to provoke wars or..... make your own faction, play by your own rules, that's what I did after the Vaegirs dint't compensate me for helping them.

Ooooh... damn intresting... :) here on forth Caladria shall be reformed under a new banner and the kingdom shall be called Valination! Bwahhahhaa... ^^

thx for the tip!

kenoxite
04-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Raiding caravans by yourself only makes _you_ to be at odds with that faction (the faction will only attack you and your fiefs, your reputation with them will automatically go down to about -30). The fact that your king declared war to that faction in the past is more a coincidence than anything else, unless I'm mistaken.

So, to do it properly start talking to the lords of your faction. Ask if they need anything done and soon you'll find someone as bored as you that will give you a quest to start a war with a random faction. The quest itself does indeed involve raiding a couple caravans of the faction you want to be at war with. Once you're done and talk to the lord again the quest will be complete and the war will start automatically.

Just have in mind that completing the "start a war" quest will affect quite dramatically your reputation among the other lords (some will like you more, most will hate you more).

Validuz
04-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Raiding caravans by yourself only makes _you_ to be at odds with that faction (the faction will only attack you and your fiefs, your reputation with them will automatically go down to about -30). The fact that your king declared war to that faction in the past is more a coincidence than anything else, unless I'm mistaken.

So, to do it properly start talking to the lords of your faction. Ask if they need anything done and soon you'll find someone as bored as you that will give you a quest to start a war with a random faction. The quest itself does indeed involve raiding a couple caravans of the faction you want to be at war with. Once you're done and talk to the lord again the quest will be complete and the war will start automatically.

Just have in mind that completing the "start a war" quest will affect quite dramatically your reputation among the other lords (some will like you more, most will hate you more).

bummer... :/ bah... my previous thoughts of making my own kingdom was twarted by my husband! xD i noticed that that he was pro Yargolek... haha... and then i'd figured id speak to some of my Lord-friends and as it turns out like 90% of them are pro-Yargolek too... so i'd stick with my king and hope he'll reward me for my actions (heck, i got to give the king credit for granting me a castle, six towns and a capitol city... xD )

i guess ill wait for him to see for himself what the Nords are made for... Target practice!

(ps. i cant believe he made peace with the nords when they got like two castles and a single capitol city left... -_- )

shadowdragon970
04-05-2010, 05:54 PM
And if you start getting bored and aggravated, start putting throne pretenders in place. Its not quite the same as becoming the king, but it is kind of fun to make the world your puppet.

Edit:

On the P.S.
Same thing happens to me all the time. I think its some kind of noble courtesy, and they always seem to recover a little before the next war.

Validuz
04-05-2010, 06:26 PM
On the P.S.
Same thing happens to me all the time. I think its some kind of noble courtesy, and they always seem to recover a little before the next war.

aye... id figured its either 'oh.. i kinda feel bad for you..' or 'REBUILD AND I SHALL STRIKE YOU DOWN ONCE MORE! BWAHAHHAHA..!!' :)

MaddPhish
04-05-2010, 06:47 PM
bummer... :/ bah... my previous thoughts of making my own kingdom was twarted by my husband! xD i noticed that that he was pro Yargolek... haha... and then i'd figured id speak to some of my Lord-friends and as it turns out like 90% of them are pro-Yargolek too... so i'd stick with my king and hope he'll reward me for my actions (heck, i got to give the king credit for granting me a castle, six towns and a capitol city... xD )

i guess ill wait for him to see for himself what the Nords are made for... Target practice!

(ps. i cant believe he made peace with the nords when they got like two castles and a single capitol city left... -_- )

Jeez, how did you get that lucky? My renown is sky high, and I've been licking boot like crazy to try and get some holdings to my name, after I couldn't convince the current Marshall to defend a castle and lost the village I had near it. The king has given all 4 castles I've knocked over to some clown named Turya. I'm about ready to renounce and take the castles back.

shadowdragon970
04-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Jeez, how did you get that lucky? My renown is sky high, and I've been licking boot like crazy to try and get some holdings to my name, after I couldn't convince the current Marshall to defend a castle and lost the village I had near it. The king has given all 4 castles I've knocked over to some clown named Turya. I'm about ready to renounce and take the castles back.

It depends on a number of factors. I'll list some of them for you, in rough order of importance:

1. Relationship with the King. This is the most important/obvious.

2. How much land the Kingdom has overall. I find it works out roughly to one castle or town for every country destroyed most of
the time.

3. How much respect the Kingdom as a whole as for you

4. Did you take it yourself.

5. Less sure about this one, but I believe that at some point the king feels threatened by you and starts cutting you off. Marry into the family or overthrow the sod. This game is about forcing yourself higher and higher, after all.

When you take a property, send a request and stay in the property for a while (save if you wish). If you don't get the property, leave it with no garrison. If its near your enemies, its not uncommon for them to take it back and leave a very small garrison. You can take it again or just leave it as punishment.

MaddPhish
04-05-2010, 08:52 PM
It depends on a number of factors. I'll list some of them for you, in rough order of importance:

1. Relationship with the King. This is the most important/obvious.

2. How much land the Kingdom has overall. I find it works out roughly to one castle or town for every country destroyed most of
the time.

3. How much respect the Kingdom as a whole as for you

4. Did you take it yourself.

5. Less sure about this one, but I believe that at some point the king feels threatened by you and starts cutting you off. Marry into the family or overthrow the sod. This game is about forcing yourself higher and higher, after all.

When you take a property, send a request and stay in the property for a while (save if you wish). If you don't get the property, leave it with no garrison. If its near your enemies, its not uncommon for them to take it back and leave a very small garrison. You can take it again or just leave it as punishment.

Thanks for the rundown. Pretty sure the King Ragnar is just concentrating power between him and Turya. With the exceptions of Chalbek and Knudar castles they own every major settlement and castle. Seeing how I'm not getting my due, I think I'll head south and borrow a Khergit castle, seeing how right now they're being squeezed by the vice of both the Rhodoks and Saranids being mad at then.

Geowil
04-05-2010, 08:52 PM
EVERYTHING... god i hate peace... no battles no quarrels and no helping my fellow lords out to gain their respect...

I have to agree with you. On my Native Expansion char I started out in Swadia. Was on everyones good sides.

Then after we, and by we I mean I; lol, took out the Dark Knights, Nords, and Khergit, I decided to form my own nation out of what was left of Rhodokas.

Took out Viergis and started to take out Swadia (which then held 75% of the map; currently they only hold 45%). I stopped for a bit though to beef up defenses on my towns.

After 5 days of peace I started war again cuz I got bored lol, in hind sight that was a bad decision, to go to peace, because it cost me 190K :O

Mr_Eon
04-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Once you have a sizable realm it's a shame you can't go find Pretenders and stick them on thrones as your puppet rulers. I'd far rather be a Shadow King than a huge target for assassins!

When they tell you to swear fealty to them you could be all "No. You swear fealty to me, or the closest you'll get to being royalty is working at Burger King."

If you worked through a Pretender it would be nice if that stopped troops you recruit from the target faction from losing huge chunks of morale, because you'd actually have a legitimate claim on the throne.

Denamic
04-07-2010, 12:14 AM
When my king went all pansy and made peace with both the khergits AND the nords at a very short interval, I resigned as a vassal and took over his country by force.
Now to take over the world...

Validuz
04-07-2010, 07:51 AM
haha... i got my three cities, a capitolcity and a castle (along with 2 cities moreover since a capitol is a huge city and 2 villages.. :) ) by being nice, talking to everyone and when they WE conquered Wercheg i asked everyone whom they support, and 85% was me, and the ones that didnt i convinced to support me

(and i had about 400renown? or something like that)

rial2209
04-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Use peace to gain money and train units. Always when it's peace time I go trade to get a few thousand bucks, and then I don't have to stress about money once I wage war.