PDA

View Full Version : Reserved Slots

mynamestoobig
04-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Rant On:

This "held slot" bullcrap on servers is getting on my nerves. Every time, I do a server search, and every time, certain servers show up with 24/32 players, 28/32 players, etc, and I think, "Yay! Free slots!" and go to join. Lo and behold, This Server is Full. (http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn8/comradelion/bfbc2-20100405-201911.png)

Fantastic. Try another one with empty slots. This Server is Full! #$@#@$^SHENANIGANS. Refresh list. The SAME servers have the same amount of free slots, and the server is STILL full when I try to join in.

FFS, is it so hard to just boot people as reserved slots come onto the server instead of having ten empty slots that other people would love to join? I, honestly, would not mind in the least if I was kicked to make room for a person that paid to have their spot saved, but it annoys the bejayzus out of me to see half the servers on my refresh list seem partially empty only to get the same "Server Is Full" message over and over.

Rant off.

majorpayne
04-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Yup, noob admins.

Gman03
04-05-2010, 06:22 PM
I agree, though I would like a warning before it boots me for a reserved slot, so that I could leave myself and keep anything I've earned in my time there.
At least, it was my impression that you don't record stats for a round you are booted from.

digitaL.braVo
04-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I agree, though I would like a warning before it boots me for a reserved slot, so that I could leave myself and keep anything I've earned in my time there.
At least, it was my impression that you don't record stats for a round you are booted from.

No, you get to keep it. In fact, stats are added in real time as you earn them. Note, rank/weapon unlocks are instant. Server admins couldn't deny you this if they tried.

On topic:

/signed

deadheadbill
04-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Reserved slot is broken. If EA would fix it, this would not be an issue.

digitaL.braVo
04-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Reserved slot is broken. If EA would fix it, this would not be an issue.

EA is a publisher, not a team of programmers. EA can't fix anything. It's DICE. You should be complaining on the EA forums about this; where the DICE developers can actually read it.

deadheadbill
04-05-2010, 07:24 PM
EA is a publisher, not a team of programmers. EA can't fix anything. It's DICE. You should be complaining on the EA forums about this; where the DICE developers can actually read it.

I bet you were the teachers pet weren't you? You knew what the ♥♥♥♥ I was saying. Don't be a ♥♥♥♥.

zacoman1
04-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Rant On:

This "held slot" bullcrap on servers is getting on my nerves. Every time, I do a server search, and every time, certain servers show up with 24/32 players, 28/32 players, etc, and I think, "Yay! Free slots!" and go to join. Lo and behold, This Server is Full. (http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn8/comradelion/bfbc2-20100405-201911.png)

Fantastic. Try another one with empty slots. This Server is Full! #$@#@$^SHENANIGANS. Refresh list. The SAME servers have the same amount of free slots, and the server is STILL full when I try to join in.

FFS, is it so hard to just boot people as reserved slots come onto the server instead of having ten empty slots that other people would love to join? I, honestly, would not mind in the least if I was kicked to make room for a person that paid to have their spot saved, but it annoys the bejayzus out of me to see half the servers on my refresh list seem partially empty only to get the same "Server Is Full" message over and over.

Rant off.

is it that hard to buy\rent your own server? dont bite the hand that feeds you

digitaL.braVo
04-05-2010, 07:43 PM
I bet you were the teachers pet weren't you? You knew what the ♥♥♥♥ I was saying. Don't be a ♥♥♥♥.

Got enough butthurt here? People complain in a place it'll never be seen then continue to complain that it never gets seen.

Sounds like self fulfilling prophecy to me. If half of you people knew was EA was even responsible for, then they wouldn't have quit the bad reputation they have.

fosul
04-05-2010, 07:55 PM
I agree with OP, it get really annoying at times to see that. I remember going down my list and getting about six of those in a row. :/

Sincere It Is
04-05-2010, 08:01 PM
is it that hard to buy\rent your own server? dont bite the hand that feeds you

Yes, it is that hard to buy/rent a server. It's expensive...

⌐_⌐

Justin K.
04-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I get what your saying OP, but people pay for these servers, and they can be expensive. It's their server not ours they can do what they want with it.

digitaL.braVo
04-05-2010, 08:10 PM
I get what your saying OP, but people pay for these servers, and they can be expensive. It's their server not ours they can do what they want with it.

Reminds me of America's Army servers...

Unless players start boycotting these servers and letting admins waste their money on empty servers then the habit will never change. I know I personally used to love a server that was always 30/32 due to 2 locked slots.

PhenomX
04-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Complain to DICE or EA on their forums about the server browser not updating.

Simply, we (admins/clans) pay for these servers and if we start kicking people for members the servers end up empty because they (pubs) get pissed off and don't come back.

To be honest, even though the browser IS the problem I still hate how UNGRATEFUL pubs can be that there are people who foot the bill for them.

zacoman1
04-05-2010, 08:28 PM
pubs are the welfare people of the internet

digitaL.braVo
04-05-2010, 08:30 PM

Simply, we (admins/clans) pay for these servers and if we start kicking people for members the servers end up empty because they (pubs) get jarateed off and don't come back.

To be honest, even though the browser IS the problem I still hate how UNGRATEFUL pubs can be that there are people who foot the bill for them.

pubs are the welfare people of the internet

God, if you two are gonna start crying about how offended you are then just cancel your server and get over yourself.

PhenomX
04-05-2010, 08:33 PM
God, if you two are gonna start crying about how offended you are then just cancel your server and get over yourself.

Not crying at all. It's just the truth. We owe them nothing and people like the OP here think we do.

zacoman1
04-05-2010, 08:35 PM

how is that crying?

solidmoose
04-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Not crying at all. It's just the truth. We owe them nothing and people like the OP here think we do.

I don't think that was ops point, more that there is probably a better way of implementing reserved slots.

My idea, if you join a server that has 30/32 and 2 reserved slots, it gives you a message - "You are joining in a reserved slot, you may be kicked from the server if a reserved user joins".

No butthurt, everyone wins.

digitaL.braVo
04-05-2010, 08:40 PM

how is that crying?

Switch your servers to private and go clan only. How much fun you'll have playing the same 10 people on 32 player maps. Full servers are fun, pubs bring full servers.

If that wasn't true you'd have private servers already and this discussion wouldn't have happened.

zacoman1
04-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Switch your servers to private and go clan only. How much fun you'll have playing the same 10 people on 32 player maps. Full servers are fun, pubs bring full servers.

If that wasn't true you'd have private servers already and this discussion wouldn't have happened.

soo how is that crying again:?
op comes into a forum and crys, we tell him he is but hurt and we are crying some how?

da80m8
04-05-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm currently renting a server and I agree with the OP. This situation sucks. When I first set up the server I reserved about 4 slots for myself and a few friends. And then I became aware that the server browser wouldn't report correctly and people were getting turned away left and right when they tried to join my server that allegedly had 4 slots open. It even reported 4 slots open when *I* was playing.

The other thing: I really don't like getting asked to leave a server that I'm having a blast on to make room for the admin's friends. I mean I completely understand it, but it still bothers me. But that's just me. As such, I have a really hard time asking someone to leave my server to make room for a friend of mine. And I certainly wouldn't kick someone without warning to do so -- that's just a d*** move. It's a tough spot to be in.

I really hope DICE/EA/whomever addresses this issue soon. (as in right after they fix the autobalance. oh -- and kill "play now")

mynamestoobig
04-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Simply, we (admins/clans) pay for these servers and if we start kicking people for members the servers end up empty because they (pubs) get jarateed off and don't come back.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm infinitely grateful for the people that host the servers, and if the admin of a server is currently playing when I'm playing, I don't hesitate to tell them. I could never afford a server of my own, and I will be the first to admit I'm being housed on the hospitality of others.

I'm in no way saying it's the admin's fault that the reserved slot feature in this game is cockface 'tarded. The admins fall victim to this feature just as much as anybody else, since, for them, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I'm just used to servers running on VALVe's games where the reserved slot is always there for anybody to join, but if a reserved slot signs on, the server automatically boots a person at random to make room. Sorry if my original post makes it seem like I'm blaming the admin, instead of the reserved slot system itself.

/$0.02

PhenomX
04-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm infinitely grateful for the people that host the servers, and if the admin of a server is currently playing when I'm playing, I don't hesitate to tell them. I could never afford a server of my own, and I will be the first to admit I'm being housed on the hospitality of others.

I'm in no way saying it's the admin's fault that the reserved slot feature in this game is cockface 'tarded. The admins fall victim to this feature just as much as anybody else, since, for them, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I'm just used to servers running on VALVe's games where the reserved slot is always there for anybody to join, but if a reserved slot signs on, the server automatically boots a person at random to make room. Sorry if my original post makes it seem like I'm blaming the admin, instead of the reserved slot system itself.

/$0.02

I appologise then, I misunderstood the argument you were making.

:P

deadheadbill
04-06-2010, 05:53 AM
Got enough butthurt here? People complain in a place it'll never be seen then continue to complain that it never gets seen.

Sounds like self fulfilling prophecy to me. If half of you people knew was EA was even responsible for, then they wouldn't have quit the bad reputation they have.

Sorry, but no I wasn't butthurt and nothing you said here changes the fact that you are a d!ck. 25 posts and you've yet to post anything positive or helpful in any way ie: d!ck.

OJ191
04-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Reserved slots are so that the people who pay for the server can actually use it. Unfortunately it actually reserves a slot instead of just kicking to make room.

digitaL.braVo
04-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Sorry, but no I wasn't butthurt and nothing you said here changes the fact that you are a d!ck. 25 posts and you've yet to post anything positive or helpful in any way ie: d!ck.

You definitely aren't too mature to have a discussion. Now are you gonna stop being butthurt to actually have a discussion or are you incapable of personal attacks without presenting an opinion on the subject matter?

//Edit//

Oh and deadheadbill. Steam emails me a copy of what you say when you respond. Don't be spineless and edit your post! But hey, the fact you are dodging the word filter would probably go over well with the mods.