PDA

View Full Version : Maybe its not the hit detection after all? (NOT a whine thread)

Bullett00th
04-05-2010, 09:20 PM
ive seen loads of complain threads about hit detection and i completely agree with them, though there is nothing we can do.

BUT

hit detection complaints are mostly about hits not being registered. well just now i stumbled upon a different situation. there was an assault guy hiding behind a rock. his head was HALF WAY above the rock (everything below the nose level was behind the rock), i was sniping him. it was mid range, using GOL + magnum bullets. he did not move (was shooting smb on the side), i did not move. solid static aiming. good ping, no lag etc.
two hits didn't register - thats ok, im used to it. but the third hit actually registers... and the guy is alive. 5 seconds later he is finished off by smb else and i get critical kill assist reward.

so i shot him, the hit registered and did damage. but it was DEFINITELY a headshot, simply because no other body parts were open for a shot. so maybe the game somehow messes up the damage when registering a hit? i dunno, i find this really weird.

KiloOscarTango
04-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Some models have invisible molds around them that can be seen through, but not shot through.

The greatest example I can think of off the top of my head are the concrete blocks with square metal skeleton. When you shoot away some of the concrete inside you can see through to the other side, but cannot shoot anyone hiding right behind it.

On top of that there are latency issues, not only for you, but the other player as well, so if you have a low ping you may still have lag-like issues hitting the other player. There is also invisible server lag spikes, EA's wondrous auto-saves and so on.

Bullett00th
04-05-2010, 09:26 PM
erm.. so? that wasn't my point

KiloOscarTango
04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
erm.. so? that wasn't my point

Your thread is entitled "Maybe its not the hit detection after all? (NOT a whine thread)", making it related to all hit detection issues. I added to your point with other possible reasons for what people blame as hit detection. If everyone left threads at the initial point there would be no replies.

Bullett00th
04-05-2010, 09:43 PM
well i just dont want this thread to become the standard hit detection discussion one - theres already too much. its about the damage registered when hit

shotbirds
04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I think sometimes the hit registers but the damage doesn't. I've seen people flinch and blood fly when I shoot them but when they kill me they have 100% hp left

n3wb5un173d
04-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I think it's hitreg. I think we've all been shot in the head by a recon, heard the bullet's woosh, heard the clang of your helmet being hit, saw the blood fly, saw the bullet's trail, and not take any damage whatsoever.

I've also seen and heard teammates get sprayed by someone's automatic, and hear this crazy rapid clanging only to run over and see their health has barely taken a hit.

Kevonovitch
04-06-2010, 01:48 AM
from what ive found out, its broken server side, it was fixed in R5-7, but R8, its worse than when it was busted in R3. also, im not sure exactly how they do pings for this one, but apparently its some weird loop instead of the "usual" methods, ie server-you/you-player pings, its some weird loop that dosent make any sence to use...