PDA

View Full Version : Retail or Steam version?

dinamita95
04-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Hello everyone, what is the difference between the retail one and the online digital one? Or is it the same old thing, retail you get the disk with the manual with the code and digital you have to download the game with no physical purchase?

Also, I've read here on the forums that some of you guys have trouble to register the game?

Zithoraxx
04-06-2010, 07:41 PM
There's no difference in the versions here. Steam's version is the exact same as the version released on their website. I would suggest buying (if you plan to) it off of their website though, because Steam seems to have issues with some people and activating their game correctly (not everyone).

dinamita95
04-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Yea, because I've also heard that if you buy it retail, you will get a steam version activation code, then you will have to activate through steam and then get your cd key from there. However, I am a bit worried about activating the game if I register it on steam.

Thanks for the help, I'll buy it from their website then.

Steelbarrier
04-06-2010, 07:44 PM
The difference?

One you can hold in your hands physically.
The other is downloaded to your harddrive digitally.

I usually always prefer Retail but I bought it on Steam since it was cheaper at the time.

TimeNinja
04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
they sell boxed copies? I thought it was all digital through their site

Zithoraxx
04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
they sell boxed copies? I thought it was all digital through their site

It is all digital through their site, I was just pointing him that direction since Steam was having a few issues with not activating some people's games.

Steelbarrier
04-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Yes both sites are digital however Amazon.com and other retailers do have physical, boxed copies. Was referring to that.

Zithoraxx
04-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Oh, in that case, I wasn't even aware of that.

AeneasXI
04-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Oh, in that case, I wasn't even aware of that.

Paradox Interactive has his own sister company (GamersGate)
If you don't know GamersGate its like steam but no programm installing just internet site to buy games. This was founded by paradox interactive who later stepped back from beeing involved directly.

Thus that fact Paradox Interactive has strong concentration on digital selling just like Valve. But like all publishers they can't completely forget boxed versions either, because alot of ppl still go into the shops to buy their games.