PDA

View Full Version : i want my money back.

nimrod121
04-09-2010, 01:05 PM
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220289

thats just lame , i bought it and i cant even play it

The|Gunslinger
04-09-2010, 01:19 PM
contact steam support, they'll probably say no

nimrod121
04-09-2010, 01:20 PM
contact steam support, they'll probably say no

yea , i though so

AngryJens
04-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Why don't you post your issue on the Beatnik forums, rather then giving up after waiting less then half a day for the issue to be resolved.

nimrod121
04-09-2010, 01:27 PM
i already did , got no answer tho

An Anarchyyt
04-09-2010, 01:51 PM
I will personally give you $10 (if you come pick it up), if you learn some patience.

nimrod121
04-09-2010, 01:53 PM
im just frustrated , thats kinda sucks u know

Freyar
04-09-2010, 08:19 PM
The first time it failed, but the second time worked just fine.

Aura891
04-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Also, you could try and put your IP on your router to a DMZ (De-militiarized zone i believe is what it is called) temp. to create the account, as if it's not working for you at all, even the 2nd time etc. then it's more then likely on your end and sounds like something in your router/firewall is not letting through the information

Edit: also, reading through your other thread, have you tried re-verifying the integrity of the game files? if it worked before, but not now, that might also be a problem

nimrod121
04-09-2010, 11:56 PM
well the game works now (nothing change since yesterday, my computer was on through the night)

i dont know ;p

refraxion
04-10-2010, 12:13 AM
well the game works now (nothing change since yesterday, my computer was on through the night)

i dont know ;p

I know, you're clearly impatient.

Trashcantoy
04-10-2010, 04:11 AM
making a thread just to link to a thread you already made? :/

budd_wm
04-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm actually with nimrod on this one, though making a thread about it is no help. This game was released and even advertised on Steam with the impression that it would at least run properly. Since I've installed it yesterday, it doesn't even start! And it's been confirmed by Beatnik to be an issue with the game that they are going to look into...

How the hell do they release a game that obviously still has many bugs to the point that it WON'T EVEN RUN?? I love to support indie game makers, but not ones who are irresponsible about their quality assurance of their product right out the gate.

I've already logged a complaint to Steam support, and I'll do what I can to spread the word about this horrid experience. A lot of my friends were actually interested in this game, but not now after watching me just trying to get it to run. I'll make sure to spread the word about this company and my horrible experience with this game.

Aura891
04-10-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm actually with nimrod on this one, though making a thread about it is no help. This game was released and even advertised on Steam with the impression that it would at least run properly. Since I've installed it yesterday, it doesn't even start! And it's been confirmed by Beatnik to be an issue with the game that they are going to look into...

How the hell do they release a game that obviously still has many bugs to the point that it WON'T EVEN RUN?? I love to support indie game makers, but not ones who are irresponsible about their quality assurance of their product right out the gate.

I've already logged a complaint to Steam support, and I'll do what I can to spread the word about this horrid experience. A lot of my friends were actually interested in this game, but not now after watching me just trying to get it to run. I'll make sure to spread the word about this company and my horrible experience with this game.

You obviously do not understand what it means to make a game, nor what it is to make a game as an indie developer, and i'm glad that you do not understand this, because if you did, then that might mean that your "word" meant something to anyone, but thankfully, it does not

budd_wm
04-10-2010, 03:00 PM
I do know what quality assurance means. And at least my word means something to those I know - which in turns mean those people won't buy this game. I'm also sure that people that read the issues with this game will at the very least make them think twice about purchasing it and other games from this company.

Saijin_Naib
04-10-2010, 03:07 PM
I do know what quality assurance means. And at least my word means something to those I know - which in turns mean those people won't buy this game. I'm also sure that people that read the issues with this game will at the very least make them think twice about purchasing it and other games from this company.
I'd understand your attitude if the Devs had not replied to your issue and had not issued a response saying that they would fix it. They've shown themselves to be very motivated to fix the issues in the game and have released many patches since its launch only a few days ago.

I say give them a chance and to try and relax.

budd_wm
04-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I can understand issues with the game that devs will fix - but an issue that prevents people from even running the game at all?? That's a serious quality assurance issue. The game should still be statused as BETA in my opinion, not a final product ready for sale. I would have never bought it had it been so.

Saijin_Naib
04-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I can understand issues with the game that devs will fix - but an issue that prevents people from even running the game at all?? That's a serious quality assurance issue. The game should still be statused as BETA in my opinion, not a final product ready for sale. I would have never bought it had it been so.
Fair enough. However, I bet you are one of a VERY small percentage that has hit this show-stopping bug. From what I can tell, many more have had little to no issue.

If you're still after a refund, Steam will issue you ONE (ever) to your account. To be honest, I'd save it for MW3 or some other big-budget fail-fest when they come.

budd_wm
04-10-2010, 03:35 PM
How do I go about getting them to issue that refund? So far Steam Support has stated they won't do it. Even if they did fix the issue by next week, at this point I'm so upset that I don't even want to play the game. I don't even want it in my Steam game list anymore.

As for bigger title games, I normally do heavy research on the game and wait a bit to see support issues before I go and purchase it, so that's never an issue for me. I guess I'll have to start doing that for the indie games as well, though I never expected to run into a game that won't run at all.

AngryJens
04-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Fact of the matter is, Beatnik games has around 6-8 guys working for it. That's ridiculously small when it comes to games development.

Furthermore, no amount of testing is going to reveal all the problems in a game. Plain Sight had a Beta, a good and long one at that.

But even in the BEST Beta, not every single system is going to play the game. It's impossible to test how the game runs with everyone's system, since everyone is different(Which is why Console games have a tendancy to have waaaay less bugs then PC games, because Consoles are all the same).

So in short, be happy Beatnik games is so dedicated that they are working on your problem, and it will be fixed.

budd_wm
04-10-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't care if it's fixed as I'm not going to play the game anyhow. I feel cheated in the fact that this was advertised on Steam's front page that this was a final product game, when it's anything but that - I purchased it and thus far, for two days, all it can do is sit in my game list. My system is not an out of the ordinary system - Intel Quad Core, ATI 4890, Onboard motherboard sound (Realtek chipset, about everyone has that now days), Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Edition. Again, I feel this is awful quality assurance, and from reading many of the other issues users are having, I believe they should have kept this at BETA for much longer and worked out these bugs before they decided to advertise it as a finished product on Steam's front page. I would have never purchased it had I known about these issues - they honestly should move it back to BETA right now. I have never experienced a game that simply could not run on a system when touted as a finished product - ever, and I have quite a few games, including other indie games.

I'm waiting on support for a response - if the moderator is correct, I should be able to get a refund and the game removed from my list. That's all I want at this point.

AngryJens
04-10-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't care if it's fixed as I'm not going to play the game anyhow. I feel cheated in the fact that this was advertised on Steam's front page that this was a final product game, when it's anything but that - I purchased it and thus far, for two days, all it can do is sit in my game list. My system is not an out of the ordinary system - Intel Quad Core, ATI 4890, Onboard motherboard sound (Realtek chipset, about everyone has that now days), Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Edition. Again, I feel this is awful quality assurance, and from reading many of the other issues users are having, I believe they should have kept this at BETA for much longer and worked out these bugs before they decided to advertise it as a finished product on Steam's front page. I would have never purchased it had I known about these issues - they honestly should move it back to BETA right now. I have never experienced a game that simply could not run on a system when touted as a finished product - ever, and I have quite a few games, including other indie games.

I'm waiting on support for a response - if the moderator is correct, I should be able to get a refund and the game removed from my list. That's all I want at this point.

I was going to reply, but honestly the reply you deserve would have gotten me banned.

So I'll just say this. You are highly overreacting.

gnoupi
04-11-2010, 01:31 AM
I was going to reply, but honestly the reply you deserve would have gotten me banned.

So I'll just say this. You are highly overreacting.

Don't lose time answering to idiots. He obviously can't understand that the game works for 99% of people, and that you don't see that on a forum. He probably doesn't understand either that PC programming involves problems on particular configurations, when it works perfectly on most.

For example, my particular graphical card makes me see most of textures in black in this game. It happens only with the series of card I have. And yet developers said they are working on a fix, they are going to tweak their rendering engine to make it work.

It's not even their task, because the game they made just WORK on most computers. But still, they are dedicated enough to answer to every bug report and fix it as soon as possible.

If he is not satisfied about the game he bought, he can for sure be satisfied with the quality of service and support they provide.

And saying "I don't care i won't play it anymore" is just acting like a little kid. Grow up.

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 03:21 AM
You make it sound as if I have a system that isn't very common. If you go read the tech support forms at Beatnik, you'll see that there are quite a few others that have the exact same problem that I do. I believe that is one of the main reasons they are confirming the bug, not just because of me. I would say that more than 1% (a lot more) of the people that wanted to play this game are affected by this.

Again, and I'll just keep saying this until you people get it - never before have I seen a game that touts itself as a finished product, that absolutely will not run on my (and other people's) systems - it speaks of very poor quality assurance. Now if this were just a graphical bug or sound issue, but I could at least still play the game, that's perfectly understandable - but this is a MAJOR bug, one that does not reflect what is advertised on the front page of Steam - my system is more than adequate for the game according to the system requirements, all dependencies were properly installed (and reinstalled, and even reinstalled again), and the game properly installed as according to the devs and Steam. And yet it still did not work, and it has been confirmed as an issue with the game. Just due to the fact that it can't even run on some common systems says to me that this game is clearly not ready for sale yet as a finished product.

I'm not advocating any kind of radical position here - I'm just saying I bought the game, didn't get what was advertised, and so therefore I want my money back. I went through a situation that upset me when I reinstalled and tried various drivers for my sound and video card, reinstalled and tried different versions of .NET (even 4 RC), installed and tried various versions of XNA, and reinstalled Steam more than once. So yeah, at this point I don't want the game, and I can care less if they fix this. My position is that I don't deserve the grief this game gave me, and they don't deserve my hard earned money for it, esp since it was falsely advertised as a finished product. How hard is that to understand?

Red Scent
04-11-2010, 04:40 AM
I have NO idea wtf you mean by a finished product - Tell me one game released in the last year that is "finished" cos all mine seem to get regular patches.

You have a legitimate complaint btw - it's your perspective that's totally wrong and applying rationale about something that isn't as cut and dried as it would be if you were buying a new car, for instance, doesn't validate that perspective. It doesn't work for you so they "falsely" advertised it as finished? LOL you can post that over and over... you are only deluding yourself. Dissatisfied customers is to be expected but they don't define whether or not the product is worthy of sale.

Also it's a well known fact that many games fail to run for some ppl for various reasons.

Some need a windows fix, some have driver issues, some have conflict with other software, some have a bug in the actual game. I have experienced all of these. I also never count my chickens with every game I buy.

Anyway, personally I rise above these little tragedies in life. I bought BC2 on preorder and it was unplayable for me until the second patch. I never got angry or upset while I waited for the fix... which I knew would come eventually. I enjoyed myself playing other games while I waited. If I had been bothered I woulda sought counselling. I can't be doing sad myself - life is too short.

Trashcantoy
04-11-2010, 07:25 AM

you simply dont deserve a refund considering your attitude.

you bought it, there was a problem that IS going to be fixed. it IS a final product, numerous other games have had major problems after launch and the launch of this title is very smooth but for a tiny amount of unlucky users. and NOW u are suddenly stating "you wont play it anyhow", you are the weakest link, gbye!

Saijin_Naib
04-11-2010, 07:57 AM
I can't help but feel like we're getting trolled hardcore by this kid. That or he really believes that he is acting appropriately. In any case, I'd say wait the remaining 5, maybe 6 days until they time when they WILL release the patch for your bug and then try the game again.

If you're still butthurt about the whole thing, hide it from your games list and move on. If not, be happy they fixed the bug and the software is no longer "beta". LMFAO...

I've yet to play ANY game that upon launch, worked 100% properly for 100% of the people. Christ, ID couldn't even pull that off with the Quake games and those were some seriously scalable and adaptive engines. They received patches and fixes years after their releases.

An Anarchyyt
04-11-2010, 10:30 AM
I have no choice but to demand a refund from budd_wm for wasted time reading this thread. Generally, for big posters with thousands of posts, I do thorough research into their habits, so this never happens to me. However, in this case I proceeded to read all posts.

As lost time can not be reimbursed. I am requesting that I have roughly $1 per minute wasted, coming out to about $10. I have already contacted Steam support on how to resolve my claim, and where to pick up my $10. However, I hope budd_wm sees the light, and personally cuts me a check.

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 11:18 AM
I can't help but feel like we're getting trolled hardcore by this kid. That or he really believes that he is acting appropriately. In any case, I'd say wait the remaining 5, maybe 6 days until they time when they WILL release the patch for your bug and then try the game again.

If you're still butthurt about the whole thing, hide it from your games list and move on. If not, be happy they fixed the bug and the software is no longer "beta". LMFAO...

I've yet to play ANY game that upon launch, worked 100% properly for 100% of the people. Christ, ID couldn't even pull that off with the Quake games and those were some seriously scalable and adaptive engines. They received patches and fixes years after their releases.

I still need to know what you mean when you say "If you're still after a refund, Steam will issue you ONE (ever) to your account." Please clarify as I'm referencing you in the support ticket 3554-OGJX-4280. I am not trolling, rather others are trolling my position on this matter. All I want is a refund, and once that is done, I will simply leave the matter as is.

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 11:20 AM
From all the posts read, I can see the Steam community will be no help. I feel like I had a bad experience with a game clearly still in BETA stages, one that I paid moeny for and STILL cannot playm, and I just want my money back. Yet I get ridiculed and insulted on these forums when I have done no such thing to the members...

An Anarchyyt
04-11-2010, 11:25 AM
You seem to be continuing to post without giving said reimbursement. Not to mention, I am noticing all kinds of spelling and grammatical errors. I am going to have to add those to my reimbursement bill.

If I am not awarded this reimbursement in a timely manner, I am going to have to retain legal council.

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
You seem to be continuing to post without giving said reimbursement. Not to mention, I am noticing all kinds of spelling and grammatical errors. I am going to have to add those to my reimbursement bill.

If I am not awarded this reimbursement in a timely manner, I am going to have to retain legal council.

The above post is called trolling. I'm merely advocating my position on the matter.

An Anarchyyt
04-11-2010, 11:31 AM
No, the above post is simply asking you to reimburse the time you have wasted of mine.

I am merely explaining my position on the matter of your reimbursement. If we have to settle this matter in the courts, then so be it.

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 11:46 AM
No, the above post is simply asking you to reimburse the time you have wasted of mine.

I am merely explaining my position on the matter of your reimbursement. If we have to settle this matter in the courts, then so be it.

Anarchyyt, if you feel you are wasting your time, simply don't read this thread. It is your choice. I have a legit complaint and this thread is part of that in the support ticket. I need the forum moderator Saijin_Naib to clarify what he means when he says we are allowed one refund "ever."

Folks, again, I feel (and please note, it is my opinion - if you don't agree that's perfectly fine) that the game was rushed to release, that it isn't ready as a final product reflected in the fact that it won't run on some common systems. Since I cannot play it after troubleshooting the problem and getting confirmation that it is indeed the game causing it, and from going through what I would consider a terrible experience in trying to run the game, I'm not satisfied at all as I clearly did not get what was advertised on Steam's front page. So therefore, I simply would like a refund - that's all I'm asking.

I would ask members to please refrain from insults to community members and not troll the thread. I think the "opposition," if you want to call it that, has been made painfully clear, and I believe I've stated my position on the matter quite thoroughly.

So now, while I wait on a 2nd response on the support ticket (which I imagine won't happen until Monday, unless they are there on Sunday), Saijin_Naib, can you please clarify the comment about having one refund "ever" on our accounts? Thank you.

RUSBoris
04-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Anarchyyt, if you feel you are wasting your time, simply don't read this thread. It is your choice. I have a legit complaint and this thread is part of that in the support ticket. I need the forum moderator Saijin_Naib to clarify what he means when he says we are allowed one refund "ever."

Folks, again, I feel (and please note, it is my opinion - if you don't agree that's perfectly fine) that the game was rushed to release, that it isn't ready as a final product reflected in the fact that it won't run on some common systems. Since I cannot play it after troubleshooting the problem and getting confirmation that it is indeed the game causing it, and from going through what I would consider a terrible experience in trying to run the game, I'm not satisfied at all as I clearly did not get what was advertised on Steam's front page. So therefore, I simply would like a refund - that's all I'm asking.

I would ask members to please refrain from insults to community members and not troll the thread. I think the "opposition," if you want to call it that, has been made painfully clear, and I believe I've stated my position on the matter quite thoroughly.

So now, while I wait on a 2nd response on the support ticket (which I imagine won't happen until Monday, unless they are there on Sunday), Saijin_Naib, can you please clarify the comment about having one refund "ever" on our accounts? Thank you.

forums mods are in no way related to Valve/Steam. They can not access your billing records or see anything about you, let alone have a say about Valve's policies.

Saijin_Naib is simply a volunteer mod for a specific game section of the forum (not Plain Sight), all he can do there is delete comments at most, most likely. Maybe temporary ban.

What is your graphics card, by the way?

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 12:13 PM
forums mods are in no way related to Valve/Steam. They can not access your billing records or see anything about you, let alone have a say about Valve's policies.

Saijin_Naib is simply a volunteer mod for a specific game section of the forum (not Plain Sight), all he can do there is delete comments at most, most likely. Maybe temporary ban.

What is your graphics card, by the way?

Hey Boris,

I understand he can't see the support ticket itself or the billing side of this. But he did say "If you're still after a refund, Steam will issue you ONE (ever) to your account." I just need clarification as to what that means.

My video card is an ATI 4890.

RUSBoris
04-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey Boris,

I understand he can't see the support ticket itself or the billing side of this. But he did say "If you're still after a refund, Steam will issue you ONE (ever) to your account." I just need clarification as to what that means.

My video card is an ATI 4890.

It means that if Steam finds a valid reason to give you a refund, it will only issue it to you once.

For example if you credit card was stolen and someone bought Call of Duty, Steam will give you a refund. But if your card gets stolen again, they won't give you any more refunds.

I don't know exactly what the problem you are having is, and that card SHOULD work in theory, but I'd suggest you try this:

First, right click the shortcut and click run as administrator. If that doesn't work, uninstall your graphic card drivers, restart your PC, DON'T LET WINDOWS UPDATE INSTALL GPU DRIVERS, go to ATIs website yourself and get the newest drivers for your card, restart again and try once more to play

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 12:27 PM
It means that if Steam finds a valid reason to give you a refund, it will only issue it to you once.

For example if you credit card was stolen and someone bought Call of Duty, Steam will give you a refund. But if your card gets stolen again, they won't give you any more refunds.

Ah I see...that is understandable. I wonder why he put it this way then:

"If you're still after a refund, Steam will issue you ONE (ever) to your account. To be honest, I'd save it for MW3 or some other big-budget fail-fest when they come."

That makes it sound as if we get one refund to our account ever if the circumstance calls for it (i.e., you wouldn't get a refund for a game you owned for a month, etc). In any case I'd like him to clarify what he meant. If there's no way Steam will issue a refund, then I will simply have to chalk it up to something I've learned and will warn people I know against buying the game, at least for now. One thing is for certain - I will start to doubly research games and their issues before I purchase again, esp if the majority of people don't feel this as a big QA issue.

EDIT: I already tried what you mentioned Boris. Believe me, I tried everything I could think of before I even decided to post here in the forums. I have a thread about it here on these forums and one at Beatnik support. In both I was told that the devs would look into the issue next week. Others are having the issue too, and it seems that they believe this to be a show-stopping bug with the game itself.

dupton69
04-11-2010, 12:37 PM
this games a lot of fun for 8 an certainly does not feel like a beta =S i also bought a pouch of tobacco earlier for 7 i bet thats not as fun as this game ! Be happy with what you've got !

RUSBoris
04-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Ah I see...that is understandable. I wonder why he put it this way then:

"If you're still after a refund, Steam will issue you ONE (ever) to your account. To be honest, I'd save it for MW3 or some other big-budget fail-fest when they come."

That makes it sound as if we get one refund to our account ever if the circumstance calls for it (i.e., you wouldn't get a refund for a game you owned for a month, etc). In any case I'd like him to clarify what he meant. If there's no way Steam will issue a refund, then I will simply have to chalk it up to something I've learned and will warn people I know against buying the game, at least for now. One thing is for certain - I will start to doubly research games and their issues before I purchase again, esp if the majority of people don't feel this as a big QA issue.

EDIT: I already tried what you mentioned Boris. Believe me, I tried everything I could think of before I even decided to post here in the forums. I have a thread about it here on these forums and one at Beatnik support. In both I was told that the devs would look into the issue next week. Others are having the issue too, and it seems that they believe this to be a show-stopping bug with the game itself.

Here's how refunds work for most companies:

First and for most it's in their best interest to NOT give you a refund. They want the money. There are some exceptions where they won't dispute. Cases such as stolen cards, you were phished (once), or the developers explicitly asked the company to issue a refund if a user mentioned confirmed problem X.

Some other refunds they will usually not give you under most circumstances. Obviously, they won't give you a refund for any reason if you just don't like the game.

For other issues you usually will have to fight hard for a refund. Something like "the game doesn't work"/"is buggy". Those, believe it or not, are about 95% users fault. A system that has viruses that prevent some programs from running or crashes certain programs, or graphic errors due to the user having drivers from 2006.

Companies just can't take your word for it when you say it doesn't work. Else everyone would make tickets after every purchase they just didn't like, saying the game crashes on them or something, and get a refund for every game they don't find enjoyable. This is why you most likely will not get a refund for this unless you can provide decent proof that you indeed have a compatible card (4890 definitely should work), and that the issue has not been taken care of/ignored and this is not just you who is having problems. But you'll still have to fight for that.

Here's a tip: In the future if you need a refund for something and customer service denies it to you, ask for their manager. Managers will usually give you a refund with little hassle if you explain the situation to them (just don't expect it more than once per company per ~year or so). Sadly Steam doesn't have a customer support phone number so you can't directly ask for a manager and you're left at the mercy of a tier 1 help desk.

WaZzUp115
04-11-2010, 12:55 PM
budd_wm, you may not realize it now, but you're taking all this way too seriously..
No game will ever release fool-proof, games from larger development studios have had issues like yours on release.
Because all the different hardware/software a user can have it's impossible to make anything fool-proof.

The difference between a game in beta or a game that is ready for release is if there's 5% chance that the game won't run or if there's 0.001% chance that the game won't run..
Since this is an indie game as well you need to take into account how much you've payed for the game and how fast the developers can actually fix the problem, they don't have a huge budget like larger studios who can spend a fortune on QA and bugfixing, yet most indie devs are more devoted to fixing bugs than larger companies who just move on to their next project..

You're being totally unreasonable here, consider the price you payed for this title and just wait until they fix the game..

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Here's how refunds work for most companies:

First and for most it's in their best interest to NOT give you a refund. They want the money. There are some exceptions where they won't dispute. Cases such as stolen cards, you were phished (once), or the developers explicitly asked the company to issue a refund if a user mentioned confirmed problem X.

Some other refunds they will usually not give you under most circumstances. Obviously, they won't give you a refund for any reason if you just don't like the game.

For other issues you usually will have to fight hard for a refund. Something like "the game doesn't work"/"is buggy". Those, believe it or not, are about 95% users fault. A system that has viruses that prevent some programs from running or crashes certain programs, or graphic errors due to the user having drivers from 2006.

Companies just can't take your word for it when you say it doesn't work. Else everyone would make tickets after every purchase they just didn't like, saying the game crashes on them or something, and get a refund for every game they don't find enjoyable. This is why you most likely will not get a refund for this unless you can provide decent proof that you indeed have a compatible card (4890 definitely should work), and that the issue has not been taken care of/ignored and this is not just you who is having problems. But you'll still have to fight for that.

Here's a tip: In the future if you need a refund for something and customer service denies it to you, ask for their manager. Managers will usually give you a refund with little hassle if you explain the situation to them (just don't expect it more than once per company per ~year or so). Sadly Steam doesn't have a customer support phone number so you can't directly ask for a manager and you're left at the mercy for a tier 1 help desk.

I used to be a manager at a phone call support center, so I know how all of that works. ;)

Yeah, I understand that most of the time when someone says a game won't run on their system, it's usually their fault. I normally shake my head at those posts/calls, as I'm sure most people here have done that to mine. No matter what the issue, I've always been able to get a game (purchased as a final product) to run on people's systems, including my own.

This is the first time I've ever run across a game that calls itself a finished product but just won't run on some very COMMON systems due to some bug. Now I've run across BETA and ALPHA games that won't run due to bugs, but I would expect such from an unfinished product (ah the old Counter-Strike days when it was just a free HL mod). To me, it seems as if they rushed this game and should have spent a few more months debugging or solving some of the dependencies (and I think this particular bug is some kind of dependency issue that the devs somehow missed, maybe for Windows 7 64-bit users as that seems to be the commonality among those reporting this error).

Anyway, thanks for your comments and trying to help.

At dupton69, I'm glad you enjoy it and had a great experience with the game thus far. I wish I could say the same for myself.

WaZzUp115
04-11-2010, 01:06 PM
So you want them to postpone the game "a few months" to fix a problem that you and only a few people are experiencing?
This sounds especially dumb when you consider the fact that a patch will be released soon.
You might as well just un-install the game and wait "a few months" and play the game then and pretend it just got released..

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 01:11 PM
So you want them to postpone the game "a few months" to fix a problem that you and only a few people are experiencing?
This sounds especially dumb when you consider the fact that a patch will be released soon.
You might as well just un-install the game and wait "a few months" and play the game then and pretend it just got released..

Nope, I'm saying the game should have never been released as final yet. Since it was, I purchased it, went through a bad experience when I tried to get it to work, and am simply asking for a refund as the game has left me with nothing but this bad experience and does not run. Even for an indie game company, I view this as a serious QA issue. If you disagree, I respect that, and I do understand your point of view.

WaZzUp115
04-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Well I can't understand your point of view at all..
Do you want to play the game or do you have some sort of grudge against the developers now?

If you want to play the game just wait for the patch..

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Sigh...I don't have a grudge against the devs. And no, at this point I do not want to play the game. The experience I went through has thoroughly ruined any chance for me that I will enjoy the game. When Steam advertises a game on their front page, I would expect that game to properly work unless it were advertised as an unfinished product, and it didn't work. Because of troubleshooting (at people's suggestions to fix the issue), the game has left me with a Steam in which I have to reinstall all my games and had lost all my saved games - not that big a deal, life isn't all about games, but it's still an experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone else - a system in which I had to reinstall drivers, reinstall .NET, reinstall Windows services, reinstall XNA, etc. To put it in other words - it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

So like I've said countless times, because of this experience, I've requested a refund, and I've told those I know not to purchase this game because of my experience with it. My experience with it was due to a game bug, one which leads me to believe the game was rushed and exposes some serious QA gaps. It's as simple as that - no grudges, no ill-will towards anyone. It is what it is.

dupton69
04-11-2010, 02:16 PM
I can understand your opinion i would'nt like it very much if it caused all this drama tbh. But i dunno i kind of have mercy on small developers like these they are probably working on the bug you have been experiencing as its probably been drawn to their attention, i guess if you dont get a refund its not the end of the world right ? And if you want to be sure that your problem wont go un-addressed head over to the forum where all the devs will be looking at first http://beatnikgames.co.uk/index.php/forums/

WaZzUp115
04-11-2010, 02:20 PM
the game has left me with a Steam in which I have to reinstall all my games and had lost all my saved games

a system in which I had to reinstall drivers, reinstall .NET, reinstall Windows services, reinstall XNA, etc.

No one forced you to do any of that?
You could have just patiently waited for a patch.

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 02:22 PM
No one forced you to do any of that, you could have just patiently waited for a patch.

It wasn't confirmed as a bug at the time, so I thought, as everyone else did, that it was my system - not the "ready-to-sale" game.

WaZzUp115
04-11-2010, 02:27 PM
It wasn't confirmed as a bug at the time, so I thought, as everyone else did, that it was my system - not the "ready-to-sale" game.

Well obviously it's not only an issue with the game since other people can play it without issues..

You're putting to much focus on the fact that it's been advertised on steam..
All games that are released are advertised as working games, yet all games have bugs.

What happened to you with the reformating and all only happened to you, since you're telling everyone not to buy the game you clearly have a grudge against the developers, unless you actually tell them to buy the game after the bug has been fixed.

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Well obviously it's not only an issue with the game since other people can play it without issues..

You're putting to much focus on the fact that it's been advertised on steam..
All games that are released are advertised as working games, yet all games have bugs.

What happened to you with the reformating and all only happened to you, since you're telling everyone not to buy the game you clearly have a grudge against the developers, unless you actually tell them to buy the game after the bug has been fixed.

Well first, I didn't reformat anything, not sure where you got that. Secondly, when trying to get a game to work, I want to troubleshoot every aspect of what I think the issue may be so that I can narrow the issue down and perhaps understand it - though there is a point where it can be very annoying and tiresome, and I had reached that point.

Thirdly, I guess you know more about me than I do. Not recommending the game to people I know based on my experience does not equate having a grudge against the devs. Not recommending a game that they may make in the future because of my experience with their previous game does not equate a grudge. It simply means I don't recommend the product because of what I went through - plain and simple. So please don't read anything else into it.

Lastly, as I've already said countless times, I view this issue to be a serious QA gap. I think the game was rushed. It's advertised on Steam as a finished product, and I believe it clearly isn't. That's my opinion based on what I've had to go through with the game thus far. If you don't agree with that, you don't have to - that's perfectly fine and many people have made that view clear.

Trashcantoy
04-11-2010, 03:27 PM
he already said, suddenly, that he isnt going to play it anyhow. His assessment that its in beta (cause of one serious bug) is flawed logic and not worthy to feel sorry for.

and budd, if you just want a refund and "simply leave the matter as it is" you shouldnt be posting in these forums with this elitist attitude. just go away and i hope you learned your lesson in buying games right after they are released.. if your too impatient to wait for a patch and if you cant tolerate bugs you shouldnt be buying games at release.

dupton69
04-11-2010, 03:29 PM
http://beatnikgames.co.uk/index.php/forums/ <- go here sign up an then go here ->http://beatnikgames.co.uk/index.php/forums/viewforum/18/ an spew all this out on there instead its the official plain sight forum where the devs of the game are actually looking.............

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 04:04 PM
he already said, suddenly, that he isnt going to play it anyhow. His assessment that its in beta (cause of one serious bug) is flawed logic and not worthy to feel sorry for.

and budd, if you just want a refund and "simply leave the matter as it is" you shouldnt be posting in these forums with this elitist attitude. just go away and i hope you learned your lesson in buying games right after they are released.. if your too impatient to wait for a patch and if you cant tolerate bugs you shouldnt be buying games at release.

I merely posted my opinion on the board and agreed with someone else's point of view. I'm not attacking anyone, I'm not calling anyone names - simply doing what anyone would do in a forum. That's what they are for. I also posted to get information on the details of my refund request, and some have been very helpful in giving me advice and info, and I thank them for that.

If I have to continue to post to defend my point of view, it is my right and will continue to do so until the moderator thinks otherwise. I don't understand how my attitude is elitist. It's simply my point of view. I'm sorry you don't agree with me, but I'm not forcing you to accept my position, nor am I lambasting you for not doing so.

Also, I've never said that I cannot tolerate bugs - please do not put words into my mouth. Read carefully on my previous posts if you don't understand. There's no point in me restating it.

At dupton69, I've already posted in their forums. That is where I received suggestions on reinstalling Steam, etc, and where I was told the devs would look into the issue. They are aware as others have also posted about it in their forums as well.

An Anarchyyt
04-11-2010, 04:53 PM
I still do not see any indication of recieving my money. My attornies, Rothschild, Goldestein, Deutsch, Gold, and Hammerstein will be serving you shortly. I just thought you should be made aware of this, since you seam unable to furnish my refund.

xchapelx
04-11-2010, 05:28 PM
My attornies, Rothschild, Goldestein, Deutsch, Gold, and Hammerstein will be serving you shortly. I just thought you should be made aware of this, since you seam unable to furnish my refund.

Surely this is a joke?

If not, you really need to get over it and over yourself. It's a neat little $10 game, If you really don't like it then put it down to a bad purchase, delete local content and get the f_ck out of these forums.

w*nker

Red Scent
04-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Surely this is a joke?

If not, you really need to get over it and over yourself. It's a neat little $10 game, If you really don't like it then put it down to a bad purchase, delete local content and get the f_ck out of these forums.

w*nker

Hmmm - I think you'll be next for a lawsuit with that attitude :P

Oh and maybe read the whole thread ;)

AngryJens
04-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Surely this is a joke?

w*nker

Read the thread. Anarchyyt is suing budd_wm for wasting his time.

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 06:16 PM
He wasted his time on his own accord. ;)

Anyway, I continue to wait for a response from Steam Support. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for all those who helped, I really do appreciate it.

Saijin_Naib
04-11-2010, 06:28 PM

Anyway, I continue to wait for a response from Steam Support. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for all those who helped, I really do appreciate it.
All I was saying about the refund was that, to my understanding, under extenuating circumstances, Steam will offer you one refund of one purchase to your steam account, EVER.

My suggestion was to take the 9.99$ loss and then save that one refund for a more expensive game that is a total failure that you may or may not purchase down the road.

A bit of a joke more than anything. Again, I'd venture that you should wait for Beatnik to release the patch before you push through with Steam and waste your one refund.

RUSBoris
04-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Surely this is a joke?

w*nker

I will have my people get in touch with your people.

You can expect a call from my lawyer soon. You'll regret ever setting foot in these forums with your attitude.

Visailli
04-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I will have my people get in touch with your people.

You can expect a call from my lawyer soon. You'll regret ever setting foot in these forums with your attitude.

MEGA ROFL lol i almost died laughing at this i think ima cry xD
xD
XD

lol высокомерным много? ^^

budd_wm
04-11-2010, 07:28 PM
All I was saying about the refund was that, to my understanding, under extenuating circumstances, Steam will offer you one refund of one purchase to your steam account, EVER.

My suggestion was to take the 9.99$ loss and then save that one refund for a more expensive game that is a total failure that you may or may not purchase down the road.

A bit of a joke more than anything. Again, I'd venture that you should wait for Beatnik to release the patch before you push through with Steam and waste your one refund.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info Saijin.

An Anarchyyt
04-12-2010, 06:24 AM

This is an erroneous assumption. Perhaps you can tell the future. I however, did not know that these posts were going to be that horrible before reading them. And as such, it was not my fault that I wasted my time.

So, unless you can prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that I have ESP, your argument doesn't hold water. Meanwhile, I will continue to wait for my $10.

TitanClash
04-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Budd_wm, you have a legitimate complaint -- and most people here recognize that. The reason you're receiving such opposition though is because you've decided to not play the game, even if your problem is resolved. To most people here (and I would wager in most gaming circles period), that's as much 'holding a grudge' as you can get: especially against an indie company.

It's understandable your upset about not being able to run the game, but to completely become "so frustrated I don't even wanna play it anymore" because the issue wasn't resolved immediately -- is ringing as immature, stubborn, and unreasonable. This fact stays true no matter how well worded your posts are stating your position, or how justified you feel. That's all.

MrHaxx1
04-13-2010, 03:39 PM
There is SOME things i agree with you in. They rushed when they released the game, no doubt. But you could also wait a few days before you buy check out their forums, to see what people says.
My game works perfectly fine, so i don't really have a problem. But as you buyed a product, that is supposed to work on your computer and it doesn't you really are supposed to get your money back.
But anyways, what do you expect for the price of three cups of coffee?

Saijin_Naib
04-13-2010, 05:04 PM
There is SOME things i agree with you in. They rushed when they released the game, no doubt. But you could also wait a few days before you buy check out their forums, to see what people says.
My game works perfectly fine, so i don't really have a problem. But as you buyed a product, that is supposed to work on your computer and it doesn't you really are supposed to get your money back.
But anyways, what do you expect for the price of three cups of coffee?
Three? Must be nice :P That is barely 2 at most boutique shops here in the US. Good thing I only drink tea :D

An Anarchyyt
04-14-2010, 05:35 AM
Three? Must be nice :P That is barely 2 at most boutique shops here in the US. Good thing I only drink tea :D

I can get a cup of coffee for $2, I don't know what you're talking about. $2.50 as well in many places. This is more like 2 Soy Lattes.

Snubbie
04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
How do I go about getting them to issue that refund? So far Steam Support has stated they won't do it. Even if they did fix the issue by next week, at this point I'm so upset that I don't even want to play the game. I don't even want it in my Steam game list anymore.

As for bigger title games, I normally do heavy research on the game and wait a bit to see support issues before I go and purchase it, so that's never an issue for me. I guess I'll have to start doing that for the indie games as well, though I never expected to run into a game that won't run at all.

It cost $10, shut up and wait a week. Most likely a day or two.
I payed $50 a month in advance preordered for L4D2 and my game broke for literally a week and a half after release, I was annoyed but waited and when I got to play it I was happy :D

budd_wm
04-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Just to update everyone, I did get the refund (actually very surprised, but it feels good that Steam Support listened to me). I wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me advice and were patient with me.

An Anarchyyt
04-15-2010, 09:55 AM
A further update: I have still not received my money and have begun legal proceedings.

budd_wm
04-15-2010, 01:19 PM
A further update: I have still not received my money and have begun legal proceedings.

I love you too Anarchyyt. :D

Thanks for your support.

Tumdace
04-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Jeez coffee in the US is expensive. $1.56 for a large coffee in Canada.

I expect the devs to send me 6.41025641025641 coffees in the mail pronto!

Just kidding, I love this game!

In all honesty: Reinstall Windows and I guarantee the game will work for you. It probably doesnt like the fact that you probably have crap spyware and viruses or other stupid programs on your PC.