PDA

View Full Version : NFS: MW's SecuROM-Is It *That* Bad?

fyrevortex
04-09-2010, 08:29 PM
After grinding away at Undercover, I missed playing Most Wanted at my friend's house on his PC.

Most Wanted is probably never going to get onto Steam and I'm thinking about buying a physical copy, but when I went to Amazon I saw tons of reviews ranting about SecuROM.

So is it really that bad, to the extent of being classified as a rootkit as some people?

Should I buy MW?

Jito463
04-09-2010, 10:24 PM
It's never caused me any problems in XP, XP x64, Vista x64 or now in Win7 x64. If it does cause you problems, there are...ways to remedy the situation. However, I doubt you'll need to worry about it.

fyrevortex
04-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Lol. I don't really want to pirate it but the SecurROM stuff sounds terrible too. Since it probably now sells for $15~20 legally somewhere (I guess.), I'll go get it. :)

Btw, any chance of MW getting onto Steam? I'd be looking to gift it to some of my friends if it went on and I see tons of threads going on about wanting MW here but nothing much has been done.

arizonachris
04-10-2010, 02:28 AM
I've also installed Most Wanted on several different PC since I bought and haven't had any trouble.

I think EA has only been selling games on Steam for a few years, and it doesn't seem like they have any desire to make older games like this one available here.

fyrevortex
04-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Hmmm... :\ What a pity then-I could really imagine EA having one of those huge bundles of all the previous NFS games-Kinda like Codemaster's.

I've also installed Most Wanted on several different PC since I bought and haven't had any trouble.

Alright then. :D To the store!

Jito463
04-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Lol. I don't really want to pirate it

Nor was I insinuating that you should. I was simply saying that in cases where SecuROM might cause you trouble, there are options. It's absolutely worth buying. I bought the Black Edition 2 or 3 years ago. Not sure what the difference is from the standard version, but I was compelled. After all, it's the *Black Edition*, and black is a cool color (or lack thereof...). ;)

arizonachris
04-10-2010, 09:57 AM
I also got the Black Edition, pre ordered it from Game Stop. Not sure what extras it has but it is still my favorite NFS title.

Undercover was, underwhelming but I enjoyed it more than Carbon. ;)

fyrevortex
04-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Nor was I insinuating that you should. I was simply saying that in cases where SecuROM might cause you trouble, there are options. It's absolutely worth buying. I bought the Black Edition 2 or 3 years ago. Not sure what the difference is from the standard version, but I was compelled. After all, it's the *Black Edition*, and black is a cool color (or lack thereof...). ;)

I understand-I believe no one on the Steam Forums would endorse and encourage one to pirate. I'm quite sure SecuROM won't cause me troubles as I do not have any imaging or ISO utilities installed but I had been slightly concerned from the tone of the negative reviews at Amazon about NFS: MW/MW Black Edition.

I think there are more cars in it available and I'm just going to get what I find as there are very few retailers here that carry legitimate games (I'm not sure. It's a guess.) and if I find a genuine copy of MW I would be very lucky.

What other features do SecuROM have? I was browsing the forum and there had been a thread saying that SecuROM was better than the constant online connection that Assassin's Creed 2, Silent Hunter and RUSE™ was using.

I also got the Black Edition, pre ordered it from Game Stop. Not sure what extras it has but it is still my favorite NFS title.

Undercover was, underwhelming but I enjoyed it more than Carbon. ;)

I haven't played Carbon before so I can't really have a verdict though. Undercover is a more realistic version of Most Wanted-Cop cars don't tip and break as easily and that was the most enjoyable part of Most Wanted.

The world in Undercover is huge, however and I got lost even after playing it for 20 hours. Most Wanted, on the other hand, I had basically memorized the roads. Good days.

Thanks for your opinion. :)

MADDOGGE
04-29-2010, 08:00 AM

Undercover was, underwhelming but I enjoyed it more than Carbon. ;)How do you get Carbon to play at other than a laging slideshow on the PC?:confused: I finally gave up after re-installing it this week and went and got a copy for my 360 where I can at least play it.:D

arizonachris
04-29-2010, 10:05 AM
How do you get Carbon to play at other than a laging slideshow on the PC?:confused: I finally gave up after re-installing it this week and went and got a copy for my 360 where I can at least play it.:D

The only problem I had with Most Wanted or Carbon was when I had an Athlon X2 6400 CPU and all you have to do is install the Dual Core CPU driver. It would speed up and slow down, repeat, repeat, repeat. And that was with a 9800GTX.

Carbon played fine on this PC:
Phenom II 940
4Gb 1066 RAM
EVGA GTX260
started with XP but then also ran fine on Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I just let the game auto detect settings, but then there was some stuff I had to dummy down a little, can't remember all of them but it had to do with road reflections, how shiny the car was, maybe overall scenery detail. It's not a very well optimized game by any means.

Oh, and turn off that stupid camera that shows you the other driver's face in the Canyon Challenges. And the rear view mirror will kill frame rates, too.

But, I gave up when there just was no way to win the canyon races.

H2OVapour
05-23-2010, 01:32 PM
After grinding away at Undercover, I missed playing Most Wanted at my friend's house on his PC.

Most Wanted is probably never going to get onto Steam and I'm thinking about buying a physical copy, but when I went to Amazon I saw tons of reviews ranting about SecuROM.

So is it really that bad, to the extent of being classified as a rootkit as some people?

Should I buy MW?

Most Wanted is, in My opinion, the best NFS-game of them all. So I would definitly recommend buying it.

I don't think SecuROM is much for You to worry about. They have had afew funny business with it back in the days but since version 7.1 and up they have cleaned up their act considderably. There is no rootkits or background services anymore, just an annoying unremovable regkey. Is SecuROM really even an issue by the way? I though Most Wanted used Safedisc.

Jito463
05-23-2010, 02:30 PM
You know, I hadn't even thought to verify. I was just going by what the OP wrote. After taking a look, I realized that my copy of Most Wanted Black Edition is indeed Safedisc. Although, some regions may have had SecuROM on them. Different regions have different copy protection.

MADDOGGE
05-26-2010, 09:00 PM

Undercover was, underwhelming but I enjoyed it more than Carbon. ;)Carbon has always been unplayable for me on the PC. P4 or quad. Finally broke down and got it for my 360 at least I can play it there. badly badly coded.

The only problem that I remember you may have with MW is if you already have Underground 1 installed. Seems EA is so stupid that the exe files are named the same thing in both games. Going into the registry and changing the name of the exe file to something different will fix that.

arizonachris
05-27-2010, 12:49 AM
The only problem that I remember you may have with MW is if you already have Underground 1 installed. Seems EA is so stupid that the exe files are named the same thing in both games.

Yup, you are right, I forgot about that little mess. Trying to install both games, you will get an error message saying the game is already installed.

Zikco
06-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Most Wanted's version of SecuROM is only a disc-check.
It was released before they went nuts with the online verification debacle, IIRC.