PDA

View Full Version : Episode One Speedrun, game finished in 35:31

inexistence
04-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Me and some friends have worked about 9 months on this. We completed a speedrun of HL2:EP1 in 35:31. Thread about it (http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php?topic=6475.0) Video links are at the bottom of that thread.

Hope you enjoy :D

damonstein
04-15-2010, 12:24 PM
wow thats fast

AguyinaRPG
04-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Torrent has possible virus. Youtube link ahoy!

http://www.youtube.com/cptcool2#p/c/1B0BB6B38F66C3B4/0/D87etr3tcb0

Nekolo
04-22-2010, 04:21 PM
you tube videos are having troubles some I saw part 1 and 2

3 was missing completely "removed by user" and 4+5 were re-uploaded... odd

inexistence
04-25-2010, 04:03 PM
The video was reuploaded in the highest quality we had rendered. The first part is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnXJB2Mv4Zk)

ThatoneJeff
04-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Um... that's epic.
have some rep

webbdogg
05-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Nice, took me like 2 hours to finish it :)

JustLinkStudios
05-13-2010, 03:32 AM
Im sorry but this is a load of ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. The walk speed has clearly been altered, you can tell from the first jump he makes off that ruined collumn.

gorpie
05-13-2010, 07:09 AM
I will never totally understand speed runs, but that's okay. What I don't get is someone claiming to have such a great time when they use techniques that essentially amount to cheating... That's so lame.

CptCool4
06-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Im sorry but this is a load of ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. The walk speed has clearly been altered, you can tell from the first jump he makes off that ruined collumn.

If you watch the AUX levels on the side, you'll see he clearing sprinted to make the jump, it's not hard at all, and if you don't believe us, download the demo and watch for yourself, we didn't alter anything in the run.

I will never totally understand speed runs, but that's okay. What I don't get is someone claiming to have such a great time when they use techniques that essentially amount to cheating... That's so lame.

How so? Speedruns are meant to take advantage of every and all glitches to get through the game as quickly as possible, some might disagree, but that's just how it is.

spencer102
06-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Awesome, +rep.

Thortok2000
06-18-2010, 08:43 PM
You didn't change any settings but you used scripts. And I've tried that whole 'put a prop on their head to make them move' trick and I've never gotten it to work. That's not to say it doesn't, it's just that there must be more to it than is easily apparent.

There's a couple cool moves in there, like shooting the ball at the prop and having it catapult you, and a couple explosions to sacrifice life to toss you far and fast, and the first few puzzles with having to shoot the balls in their energy holders are good showing great aim and reaction time. There's a couple places where talent showed in sliding around corners with precise movements.

But for the most part, the sprint-bunny-hop script and the 'ride a prop to the ceiling' script are what made this speedrun a speedrun. Without that, it's only a couple steps shy of nothing.

Also, the elevator that you have to watch for debris from above moves faster than it does in game. And there's a couple glitches where within the same map but you switch to a different person playing that appears to shave off some seconds.

I don't think it's that great of a speedrun honestly. Interesting to watch, but more to see the glitches than to see the speed.