PDA

View Full Version : Before you buy this game.

stinkytaco
04-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Some things they misled or left out of the store page.

1> Gamespy account and login needed for ALL gameplay not just for multiplayer like the sales page claims. (Do i sense some data mining gong on here?) YOU CAN NOT PLAY THIS GAME IF YOU ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET!!! NOT EVEN SINGLE PLAYER!!! so those of you with laptops, envisioning playing this game on a long train or plane trip, forget it. Big brother needs your data, or you can not play.

2> Unreal game engine with quirky options for the graphics settings. Try to over ride the settings with the Nvidia control pannel, and you should expect to see a "Service exception" BSOD upon loading the game.

3> This is just one game, not 2. There are 2 "episodes" in a single game.

4> Multi player, and CO-OP are dead, there are no people playing this game online as of 7:am HST, 4/10/2010. I will keep checking back, but I see absolutely no dedicated servers running this game.

5> Single player in-game cut scenes have some of the worst lip syncing I have ever seen. It is like they originally did the voice overs and syncing in Mongolian, then translated it to English without changing the lip syncing.

6> Xbox 360 rumble not fully supported, and the controls are absolutely backwards. Mouse + keyboard are a must for this game.

7> Well, it is sort of obvious but, this game carries the "GameSpy" seal, which just like all other games they brand, has a terrible game browser that does not even show ping rates! They obviously want you to get frustrated, and download the Gamespy adware / spyware to find Multiplayer games with a ping rate listed.(Data mining is spyware in my book, I dont care what anyone says)

8> Even on the highest settings the textures are very low resolution. The normal maps show pixelation and the banding really bad. The diffuse textures dont match up with the normal maps in all cases making it look terrible on HDTV's.

9> Poorly made Collision hulls. At the beginning of the SP game some of the rocks have oversize collision hulls, so when you are trying to shoot over the rocks, the bullets hit an invisible barrier, and stop. (killing any immersion you may have had.)

10> Squad AI is TERRIBLE, you tell them to attack a target that is right in front of them, and they run and duck for cover. They get lost when you are down too, so sometimes you will not get revived, even when they are just a few feet away from you.

Things I liked:
Nice artwork... the concepts are quite nice for the players and the enemy.

At a distance, the maps look really well made.

For under $20 it will give all you single player fans out there a jolly. Do not buy this game for multiplayer, or Co-op unless you have friends that live near you, and you have a really good cable modem connection for the guy who is serving.

Krapo
04-10-2010, 12:23 PM
No games in coop ?
are you kiding ?
you're probably on LAN, there are 30+ coops servers actually !!

mriguy
04-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Gamespy account and login needed for ALL gameplay not just for multiplayer like the sales page claims. (Do i sense some data mining gong on here?) YOU CAN NOT PLAY THIS GAME IF YOU ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET!!! NOT EVEN SINGLE PLAYER!!! so those of you with laptops, envisioning playing this game on a long train or plane trip, forget it. Big brother needs your data, or you can not play.

This is just as bad as Ubisoft's DRM !!!

It's really sad when a small developer/publisher behaves in this manner. This needs to be posted as 3rd party DRM in the store page. For the price, I thought to give it a try but this DRM = No Sale !!!

Can someone confirm single player requires the internet?

omnithrope
04-10-2010, 12:41 PM
This is just as bad as Ubisoft's DRM !!!

It's really sad when a small developer/publisher behaves in this manner. This needs to be posted as 3rd party DRM in the store page. For the price, I thought to give it a try but this DRM = No Sale !!!

This isn't correct.
There is an "Offline" mode in the main menu, and it doesn't require Gamespy to play.

McTecman
04-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Um, are you people blind? The "Play Offline" button is right there? If you've played UT3, you know how it works.

edit: Beaten. :) And I can't believe he actually tried to recommend single player. When you'll see just how bugged and badly designed the AI companions can get? You will prefer online play, trust me.

omnithrope
04-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Can someone confirm single player requires the internet?

We've already established that is does not. =)

tailsown
04-10-2010, 01:12 PM
cuz it suck i deleted this f****** "garbage day"!..game pos waste of my money dont buy this game "EVER!"

Krapo
04-10-2010, 02:12 PM
very puerile, if you don't like the game don't play it.
stop saying pure bull♥♥♥♥s over because you do not like it

this post is pure crap, there are 30 more servers in coop (only not full), ping are listed, no gamespy app needed, you can play offline... etc.
the guy is for sure on LAN in option, so he cannot find any servers. Offline button is too hard to find, that's true...

KDR_11k
04-10-2010, 02:25 PM
What REALLY annoyed me in SP was that cutscenes are unskippable and they can end up being just after a checkpoint instead of before.

Apparently progress does not get shared between offline and online mode... Really looks like they want to use Gamespy like GFWL with all the downsides that has.

No games in coop ?
are you kiding ?
you're probably on LAN, there are 30+ coops servers actually !!

I get a "filters don't work in LAN mode" and no visible servers even though I set it to internet in the filters, might be buggy?

Fatdude
04-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Game is actually fun and a bit challenging.You can play offline without loging in.You can see the ping rates in coop games but not in tdm dm and any other mod that isnt coop.There is also only 1 dm server and none tdm ctf or the other mod servers on i just cheked it 5 minutes ago.
For coop buy this game because its lots of fun and i think every character has its own story and movies.
If you want this to dm/tdm/ctf all the time its a waste of money buy altitude and plain sight you will have much more fun with thoose.

KnightMason
04-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Kiru
04-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Only problem I've had is the game crashing while loading, forcing me to hard restart, which then gives my SATA drivers the heebie jeebies... as in, my boot drive fails to show up when I restart. :eek:
Win Vista 64 bit. Comp is for gaming only. EVERYthing is up to date.

Going to give it a while before I try it again.

Mr.Bigtime
04-10-2010, 04:48 PM
This topic is misleading. Lock or fix pls.

WaZzUp115
04-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I just checked and found 25 Coop servers up at the moment.

The thing is that depending on what character you choose it activates a filter that filters out servers which use that character, since most people just select stonewall then a bunch of servers will be filtered out.
You can un-check the filter in the game browser to see all games.

stinkytaco
04-10-2010, 06:02 PM
ON the first loading of the game you need to enter your gamespy ID or it will not proceed. Thus, NO gamespy=No play.

Looked for multiplayer games, and only saw 2.

AzureEmmanuel
04-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Im sorry? Im loving the game (minus the little annoying bugs)

WaZzUp115
04-10-2010, 06:30 PM
ON the first loading of the game you need to enter your gamespy ID or it will not proceed. Thus, NO gamespy=No play.

There are 20 games running at the moment, you probably didn't un-check the character filter.

Login Screenshot (http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6928/loginfr.jpg)
Serverbrowser Screenshot (http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5320/serversp.jpg)

Codine
04-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah there's plenty of people playing coop atleast. DM and the other modes are mostly dead since the lack of dedicated servers.

I havn't been able to really experience dm but I heard its a lot of fun.

KyrenCross
04-11-2010, 12:00 AM
I just hate enemies having aimbots. You have 4 companions but when you stick your head out. They ignore your other companions and shoot straight for you.
They also seem to get stuck way behind you, I think thats why they made the auto regroup just for this, but I need my companions to do something.
Also AI companions never revive your other team mates even when they are right beside them >_< you have to order them to do so.

Why are the devs not active in this forums? I hope they patch up the game soon, or did they just release an unpolished game and see if it sells?

I love the idea but bugs and annoying stuff keeps me from enjoying the game fully.

Mastix
04-11-2010, 12:24 AM
OP is an idiot that doesn't even own the game... =/

Mr.Bigtime
04-11-2010, 01:43 AM
i owned hard :)

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7840/scourgegame201004101905.jpg
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8404/scourgegame201004101909.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7959/scourgegame201004101904.jpg

KDR_11k
04-11-2010, 01:52 AM

Nonsense, I didn't enter mine until about the third time or so. Use the "play offline" option.

MADDOGGE
04-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Im sorry? Im loving the game (minus the little annoying bugs)Thanks Azure for the validation last night. My son wanted this little filler game last night and I read all the trolls and others trying to decide whether to waste money or not. Your statement was one of those honest ones that helped me decide to get it for him and he is having a good time despite as you say a few glitches. He rarely asks for much of anything since money is very tight but his love of GEARS made this one catch his eye.LOL

Nonsense, I didn't enter mine until about the third time or so. Use the "play offline" option.Agreed not required unless you go online.

AzureEmmanuel
04-11-2010, 07:32 AM
his love of GEARS made this one catch his eye.LOL

Yeah the game has a "GoWaes meets Mass Effect meets monster hunter" vibe going for it.

I had a blast last night with some friends in coop.

Krapo
04-11-2010, 09:42 AM
with crysis suit too :D

stinkytaco
04-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Only 1 deathmatch server today, really lagged.

MasterOfTheTide
04-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Lol, OP is an idiot. Do not listen to anything he wrote. What a fail post...

WaZzUp115
04-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Only 1 deathmatch server today, really lagged.

Yeah, I don't think people buy the game to play Deathmatch, most people who joined my server yesterday just left after they got killed..
So I'm thinking these are people that prefer COOP and not getting whacked around in deathmatch..

The Deathmatch modes are pretty sweet though, I'm hoping we'll get some games going soon, dedicated servers would really help.

Fatdude
04-11-2010, 03:05 PM
As i said before dont buy this game for any other multiplater mode than coop.There is a lot of coop servers but none or 1 server for other modes mostly.It will probably die in a few weeks so play as much as you can

TheBrainninja
04-11-2010, 03:13 PM
What REALLY annoyed me in SP was that cutscenes are unskippable and they can end up being just after a checkpoint instead of before.

This. Playing singleplayer right now, having more fun than expected. I'll try multiplayer at some point.

There are lots of little things that bug me, like your weapons being reset to default (firefly + pistol) on checkpoint reloads, but overall it's not bad.

stinkytaco
04-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I do not see any Co-op games, and now there are no populated servers :(

WaZzUp115
04-11-2010, 11:10 PM
I do not see any Co-op games, and now there are no populated servers :(

I can see twelve servers at the moment, clearly you're doing it wrong..