PDA

View Full Version : Dark Void Zero DRM

MikeHaggar
04-10-2010, 03:44 PM
3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™
5 machine activation limit

according to the steam page.

wait what, i thought this was a download only game? does this mean that if i reformat my pc 5 times it will render the game that i bought for my money useless?

DJ Cryotek
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I saw that and was like wtf.

Securom and a 5-machine activation limit on a $5 game? Are you ♥♥♥♥ing kidding me?

But, as long as there's a revoke tool I don't really care. If you use that tool to "revoke" the license before reformatting, Mike, you "keep" that activation. So a 5-machine limit gives some room for screw-ups, assuming they don't remove the limit in a year or so anyway.

What shocks me is that they would *bother*. DRM costs them money, I can't believe they'd waste the cash on little game like this.

But whatever, I'm still buying it. Hope it runs on the netbook, w00 fun!

ArmorArmadillo
04-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Steam + Securom 5 activation, on a 3 game? You taking the piss capcom?

I'm not touching this, I was going to but after seeing that i'll pass.

deadlybydesign
04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Steam + Securom 5 activation, on a 3 game? You taking the jarate capcom?

Yep. I'd really love to play this, but that silly DRM leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. What a waste.

NalgasDLemur
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Steam + Securom 5 activation, on a 3 game? You taking the jarate capcom?

Exactly my reaction, too. I was considering grabbing it to see if it's any good, because it's cheap enough for an impulse buy, but seeing that just killed it for me.

CynicalNinja
04-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I just saw that and facepalmed.

Really, Capcom? Really?

dobby985
04-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Take out the DRM and I will buy it.

MikeHaggar
04-12-2010, 05:09 PM
I for one am a huge fan of capcoms old-school games and i deeply appreciate that theyre releasing their stuff on the pc since i cant really buy a console right now.
i really wanted to buy this for support (in hope that they release mega man 9/10 on pc) but with this DRM i dont know if i can :(

but anyway does this really mean that i can only install it 5 times? so if i delete it and download it 5 times on the same install will i lose my game? or do i have to reformat? or does "5 machine activation limit" mean that i can install as many times as i want on one pc unless i change hardware?
i want to know exactly how this drm works before i decide wether or not to buy it, so if anyone can enlighten me id appreciate it :)

airblad3
04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Dammit, I was about to get it, but then I saw the DRM... ahh well :(

Murdats
04-12-2010, 07:23 PM
maybe when you die you lose an activation, they are recreating the arcade feel

bb10
04-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Complain here: http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/04/12/dark_void_zero_available_for_iphone_and_pc_today!

Maybe that'll change their minds.

wing40
04-12-2010, 08:21 PM
It's pointless to add 3rd party DRM to Steam games, I wish developers would get that through their heads.

Ciaos
04-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Just about to buy it but then I saw that. Seriously... what the hell capcom.

Alastayr
04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
It's pointless to add 3rd party DRM to Steam games, I wish developers would get that through their heads.
Quoted for truth. I will not support this stupidity with my money.

Skaery
04-13-2010, 04:30 AM
And especially a "machine activation limit". Steam shouldn't allow this - it's more or less against their "About Steam" / Steam features.

Lost sale here...

WaZzUp115
04-13-2010, 04:52 AM
And especially a "machine activation limit". Steam shouldn't allow this - it's more or less against their "About Steam" / Steam features.

Lost sale here...

Yeah, the limitation is horrible for a game like this..
It's one of those simple games you'll want on your laptop, stationary, install when you're sitting at your dads, moms or cousins old PC..

jimmirock
04-13-2010, 05:58 AM
I was going to buy this game too.

deadlybydesign
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Oh, look... The Adventures of P.B. Winterbottom is only $5 and doesn't have DRM. Guess who's getting my five bucks instead of Capcom?

MikeHaggar
04-13-2010, 10:12 AM
But what exactly does this mean? 5 installs overall or 1 install per reformat? or does it just count as a new activation if I change the hardware of my pc?

Shadow_Man_PW
04-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Dammit, I was about to get it, but then I saw the DRM... ahh well :(

Then don't buy Steam games. Steam is DRM. As for the need of 3rd party DRM. Steam isn't infallible and it's just an added layer of protection which doesn't effect honest gamers at all, even slightly.

Yeah, the limitation is horrible for a game like this..
It's one of those simple games you'll want on your laptop, stationary, install when you're sitting at your dads, moms or cousins old PC..

That's 5 installations. *Facepalms*

WaZzUp115
04-13-2010, 11:11 AM
That's 5 installations. *Facepalms*

Yeah, that's my point.. *facepalm*

bb10
04-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Then don't buy Steam games. Steam is DRM.
Yes, so this has twice the DRM it should have. **triple-*facepalm*-combo**

Shadow_Man_PW
04-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeah, that's my point.. *facepalm*

Wait, there could be a sarcasm fail here.... If so the guy underneath your post didn't get it either, so I'm not completely stupid, am I? Tho, I do think he's an idiot.

Yes, so this has twice the DRM it should have. **triple-*facepalm*-combo**

From what I read, it sounded like the guy I quoted didn't want it because it had any kind of DRM. I was pointing out that Steam is DRM and if he was completely against DRM he shouldn't buy Steam games. I admit I could have misinterpreted and he meant this specific DRM, but we won't know until/if he responds clarifying.

As for having twice the DRM it should have, that's really subjective. Capcom clearly thinks Steam DRM isn't enough. Steam isn't crack free you know. A quick torrent search has revealed dozens (if not hundreds, I haven't checked) of no-Steam cracks for games. That and more than one that seems to be claiming to be a complete one.

That's just for the cracks, that's nothing to stop the people who share, rent or steal accounts. Hell, if you look at it that way, this is something so that if ever your account gets hacked you can feel a bit relieved they won't be able to fully exploit everything you've payed for.

Mostly I think they've just put it on to deter piracy rather than any form of prevention. I mean a game this cheap that has 2 forms of DRM on it probably isn't worth any hackers time. But then I don't have the mindset of a hacker and hopefully never will.

WaZzUp115
04-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Mostly I think they've just put it on to deter piracy rather than any form of prevention. I mean a game this cheap that has 2 forms of DRM on it probably isn't worth any hackers time.

Well, hackers like challenges, doesn't matter as much what game it is..
There's nothing special about this game that would make it uncrackable, it will get cracked, probably already is..
Maybe I should just get the cracked version too since I've already bought the game..

fatpat268
04-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Wait, there could be a sarcasm fail here.... If so the guy underneath your post didn't get it either, so I'm not completely stupid, am I? Tho, I do think he's an idiot.

From what I read, it sounded like the guy I quoted didn't want it because it had any kind of DRM. I was pointing out that Steam is DRM and if he was completely against DRM he shouldn't buy Steam games. I admit I could have misinterpreted and he meant this specific DRM, but we won't know until/if he responds clarifying.

As for having twice the DRM it should have, that's really subjective. Capcom clearly thinks Steam DRM isn't enough. Steam isn't crack free you know. A quick torrent search has revealed dozens (if not hundreds, I haven't checked) of no-Steam cracks for games. That and more than one that seems to be claiming to be a complete one.

That's just for the cracks, that's nothing to stop the people who share, rent or steal accounts. Hell, if you look at it that way, this is something so that if ever your account gets hacked you can feel a bit relieved they won't be able to fully exploit everything you've payed for.

Mostly I think they've just put it on to deter piracy rather than any form of prevention. I mean a game this cheap that has 2 forms of DRM on it probably isn't worth any hackers time. But then I don't have the mindset of a hacker and hopefully never will.

Steam is a good form of DRM that is largely painless for people. Yea, there may be no-steam cracks, but there's also cracks that defeat securom too as well.

The problem with DRM, as always, is who is it trying to defeat? It sure as hell isn't defeating the pirates. A team of crackers usually crack the game within in a day anyway. It just makes it more difficult for people who've actually paid for the game to play.

Activitions are fine (I guess), if there's a revoke tool, but not every game has this. For example, Wings of Prey has a 3(!) activation limit, but no revoke tool. Well, I recently upgraded my computer and reinstalled Windows and Wings of Prey. Guess what, I can only install it one more time (to get more activations, you have to contact some russian fellow who may or may not respond). What a crock of ♥♥♥♥.

DRM is a necessary evil in this day and age, and that's what Steam is for. To have two DRM systems piggyback each other is ludicrous.

NalgasDLemur
04-14-2010, 08:38 AM

Well, in that case it's a good thing that SecuROM works so well and isn't cracked on every game it's used on on the day it's released (or earlier, if the game leaks before release date). Sure, Steam isn't 100% effective, but how much more effective is SecuROM? None more effective. It can be a decent amount more obnoxious for the legitimate users installing the non-cracked version, though. Considering that it's been demonstrated repeatedly that it doesn't work terribly well (see: every other game released with SecuROM ever), I'm surprised that they somehow decided that it's worth the money for a $5 game, since the licensing fee for it was non-trivial last time I checked.

Some furf
04-14-2010, 11:30 AM
The problem with DRM, as always, is who is it trying to defeat?

You, the consumer. Every modern DRM measure is a way of preventing you from selling your games second hand. Or even lending them to friends. Anti-piracy claims are just a smokescreen to distract you from the fact.

Which, given the nature of Steam, makes SecuROM all the more useless and I'm sure it's just some boneheaded in-company ruling that all PC games need to be protected against trading in what they think is the right way.

jimmirock
04-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Not to get in the way of politics but eh the DRM still hasn't been lifted?

Has DRM ever been removed from a Steam game once it's been released? Wondering if I should stop refreshing this page and spend my money elsewhere is all.

NalgasDLemur
04-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Has DRM ever been removed from a Steam game once it's been released?

Yes, at least a couple times, like with the original BioShock, if I'm remembering right. It's usually more of a delayed thing, a while after release and after demand has gone down, and not generally immediate and in response to people complaining, though, so I wouldn't be all that surprised if it doesn't happen until no one cares anymore, if at all.

Fatdude
04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Bioshock one is lifted after 1 year or something.It was done with a patch.I dont think capcom reads this forum or cares about it.Cracking games for steam are as easy to crack securom.5 install limit is there so you wont trade your account to bunch of friends and they will install and play the same game.Securom isnt there to stop pirates its there to stop customers that trade their games or give them to friends.Because the technology becomes expensive and more money invested in games they are trying everything to milk the customers out of their money.

MikeHaggar
04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
As much as I love capcom I have to admit they seem pretty clueless in the PC arena, so I doubt the DRM will ever be removed.
First GFWL in RE5 (which was otherwise a great port so I don't regret buying it) and now this :(

fatpat268
04-14-2010, 04:52 PM
You, the consumer. Every modern DRM measure is a way of preventing you from selling your games second hand. Or even lending them to friends. Anti-piracy claims are just a smokescreen to distract you from the fact.

Which, given the nature of Steam, makes SecuROM all the more useless and I'm sure it's just some boneheaded in-company ruling that all PC games need to be protected against trading in what they think is the right way.

Yea. Steam is a competent enough form of DRM, there's no need for another one on top of it.

Shadow_Man_PW
04-14-2010, 07:25 PM
The problem with DRM, as always, is who is it trying to defeat? It sure as hell isn't defeating the pirates. A team of crackers usually crack the game within in a day anyway. It just makes it more difficult for people who've actually paid for the game to play.

I just want to respond to both of you at the same time if you don't mind. From what I understand, the activation limits imposed on Steam games are to prevent sharing (whether it be voluntary or not). Believe it or not sharing is a game is a form of piracy. If you look at the End User Licences (EULAs) of most games you'll see that the product is for your use only or something to that affect. Some will even have lending as strictly prohibited. Therefor, you lending it to your friend we'll say, is an illegal activity and open to criminal prosecution. Of course given the unprovable and mostly unfindable circumstances of this form of piracy it realistically impossible to ever bring criminal charges against anyone who does this. So, in an attempt to prevent it happening in the first place they will place measures like activation limits to Steam games. This form of piracy is known as casual piracy if I'm not mistaken.

Steam as a form of piracy works extremely well against zero day piracy. What this means is, even if a game is leaked days or weeks in advanced it can't be pirated or even played in most cases because Steam downloads critical files not on the game disc.

This being the case by adding an extra layer of DRM in the form of an activation limit Capcom have prevented 2 forms of piracy. They will not however be able to prevent all forms of piracy because anybody who is really determined will break it eventually. Also, by putting a revoke tool that is attached to Steam they are making the 2nd form of DRM pointless. That's a kick in the stones for all us honest folk but I blame the pirates who make this necessary not Capcom for having to do it.

/end wall of text :)

ArmorArmadillo
04-14-2010, 11:31 PM
That's a kick in the stones for all us honest folk but I blame the pirates who make this necessary not Capcom for having to do it.

Really? As much as companies like to pin the drm on the pirate drm is more effective against as you say, giving the game to friends, especially securom limited activations.

Does the pirate have to do any of this bs? no, they don't, how you can blame a method that barely touches proper straight up piracy on pirates is flawed.

For a long time the consensus has been securom limited activations is there to stop you giving your buddies a go.

Toast2120
04-15-2010, 01:08 AM
This completely drives the value of the game down.

HEY CAPCOM: THIS IS BULL♥♥♥♥

Some furf
04-15-2010, 03:46 AM
From what I understand, the activation limits imposed on Steam games are to prevent sharing.

I admit this is just supposition, but I can't imagine that Steam account sharing is a big problem. When honest people like myself refuse to buy a game because of its restrictive nature, that's a much bigger problem and one that will probably result in more lost sales.

Muti Messiah
04-15-2010, 05:01 AM
DEEEEEEP Breath there... time to vent some anger...

ok WTH with this! 5 Activations on a €3.99 game?!? they didn't even add that to the €39.99 normal one!

Not to mention there is NO REVOKE TOOL so ya even if you delete local content and all that your license remains in effect so soon enough we have to call Crapcom and Scrape and Beg for 1 more license because they was so damned lazy not to have a revoke tool anywhere, and put a 5 activate limit on a cheap game imo just for the lulz!

oh and not forgetting the call will probably end up costing more than the game is worth!

If it wasn't for the fact I spotted it after I bought it I would never have bought this game at all >.< Ive spoken out on the capcom forum too but the mods and capcom admin seem to be hiding

Shadow_Man_PW
04-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Really? As much as companies like to pin the drm on the pirate drm is more effective against as you say, giving the game to friends, especially securom limited activations.

Does the pirate have to do any of this bs? no, they don't, how you can blame a method that barely touches proper straight up piracy on pirates is flawed.

For a long time the consensus has been securom limited activations is there to stop you giving your buddies a go.

Well sharing the game with your friend is a form of piracy. That's what they are targeting too. As I have said. It's known as casual piracy if I'm no mistaken. It's akin to the same reasoning as locking your house or car doors. Truly determined people could pick the lock or break down the door, but it stops the casual theft of your objects by people who would otherwise be able to get it.

As for the DRM being there because of pirates, I fully and wholeheartedly stand by that point. DRM did not exist until after pirating became widespread. Piracy has caused DRM and greater amounts of piracy have caused greater and more restrictive forms of DRM. Now every one is jumping down the throats of publishers for protecting their products in favour of pirates who lead to the widespread theft of thousands if not millions of euro worth games. I know it's technically copy right infringement and not theft, but it amounts to the same thing.

As far as consensuses go, there was also a consensus before that Securom broke your cd drive and shattered your discs. This has so far proven wildly groundless. Given the reactions when the news spread like fire to every forum in the world and the consequences were the removal of a form of DRM which proved extremely difficult to attack one could assume it was a lie spread by pirates to allow them to continue destroying the life's work of many developers who have now gone under.

MikeHaggar
04-15-2010, 07:47 AM
And how the hell is DRM supposed to stop casual pirates? its not like it makes piracy harder.

And sharing a steam account=/=piracy. sharing a steam account is equivalent to borrowing a n64 cartridge to a friend.

Fatdude
04-15-2010, 08:51 AM
And how the hell is DRM supposed to stop casual pirates? its not like it makes piracy harder.

And sharing a steam account=/=piracy. sharing a steam account is equivalent to borrowing a n64 cartridge to a friend.

Borrowing a game from you friend is ok but the problem is publishers like ea etc are seeing that as piracy and theft.

The more restrictive DRM they put more piracy will spread.Piracy doesnt decrase sales.A pirate wont buy a game that cant be cracked he will just wait untill its cracked.

Open your eyes and see it.Limited activitations are there for you to stop selling your game as second hand.How the hell can limited activitation stops pirated downloaded games from playing?

MikeHaggar
04-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Open your eyes and see it.Limited activitations are there for you to stop selling your game as second hand.
and how am i supposed to sell a game that i bought digitally via steam in a second hand store?
capcom are ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.

NalgasDLemur
04-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Borrowing a game from you friend is ok but the problem is publishers like ea etc are seeing that as piracy and theft.

Limited activitations are there for you to stop selling your game as second hand.

To all the publishers who've made excuses like this, I think Heavy said it best: "Waaaaaaahhh! Cry some more!" Stop trying to screw me over, and I'll buy your stuff (with real money and everything!) if it's any good. Keep pulling crap like this, and I'll buy someone else's stuff instead. Your game is not so special that I can't find something else (dozens of somethings, even) to entertain myself with for a few hours.

jimmirock
04-15-2010, 11:34 AM
To all the publishers who've made excuses like this, I think Heavy said it best: "Waaaaaaahhh! Cry some more!" Stop trying to screw me over, and I'll buy your stuff (with real money and everything!) if it's any good. Keep pulling crap like this, and I'll buy someone else's stuff instead. Your game is not so special that I can't find something else (dozens of somethings, even) to entertain myself with for a few hours.

As heavy handed as you put it, I do have to agree. I skipped out on games I wanted to play and willing to buy just because of overly aggressive DRM. The great thing about Steam is there are other games similarly priced without DRM that I'd buy instead.

Also regarding Steam and "lending" games - I gave my old Steam account (HL2+episodes and CS Source) to a friend and Steam didn't like it. They disabled it. I tried to get it back but they required that I confirmed who I was by showing them debit card bills from 6 years ago... lul.
Steam is so far from perfect but I'd take that over install limits.

Shadow_Man_PW
04-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Casual piracy is the lending of games to your friends. One of the main reasons for DRM is to prevent this. That and zero day piracy.

MikeHaggar
04-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Casual piracy is the lending of games to your friends. One of the main reasons for DRM is to prevent this. That and zero day piracy.

......lending a game is not casual piracy. it is not piracy at all. what part of that do you not understand?

Muti Messiah
04-15-2010, 11:02 PM
......lending a game is not casual piracy. it is not piracy at all. what part of that do you not understand?

Could you imagine that?

"What you in prison for?"
"I Lent my friend Smash Bros for Wii"

bb10
04-15-2010, 11:28 PM

Steam prevents both. No need for extra DRM on top.

Shadow_Man_PW
04-16-2010, 04:40 AM

If lending is against the EULA then it IS!

ArmorArmadillo
04-16-2010, 09:54 PM
If lending is against the EULA then it IS!

EULAs don't wash in court, theyre shrinkwrap contracts.

Hes quite right you know, its like recording stuff off the TV or radio (more relevant to VHS/brief dvd period or cassette recording, mention digital and people sperg out like the RIAA), its classed as casual piracy but good luck getting a court to convict you of it, that just won't happen.

This type of DRM is about publishers over reaching their remit in a dash for cash grab.

This is also important why you say to stuff like ACTA which is aiming to crush all sorts of "fair usage".

NalgasDLemur
04-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Hes quite right you know, its like recording stuff off the TV or radio (more relevant to VHS/brief dvd period or cassette recording, mention digital and people sperg out like the RIAA), its classed as casual piracy but good luck getting a court to convict you of it, that just won't happen.

You're quite not right, you know. Time/format shifting's illegal now? I guess we're going to see everyone and their monkey, from TV studios to the MPAA, suing TiVo and Comcast and everyone else out there offering DVRs...except they already lost that one a couple decades ago when VHS was new.

Aside from that, it's a crappy analogy. It's not at all like recording stuff off the TV; it's entirely like borrowing a DVD from someone.

MikeHaggar
04-17-2010, 03:45 AM

This type of DRM is about publishers over reaching their remit in a dash for cash grab.

This is also important why you say to stuff like ACTA which is aiming to crush all sorts of "fair usage".
Copying something is completely different from borrowing something.

jimmirock
04-17-2010, 03:52 AM
Applauds are in order, this thread has the most replies than any other on the DV board. It's a shame it doesn't mean anything and the DRM wont be lifted though.

MikeHaggar
04-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Applauds are in order, this thread has the most replies than any other on the DV board. It's a shame it doesn't mean anything and the DRM wont be lifted though.
I'm still praying....>.> :(

Muti Messiah
04-17-2010, 11:12 AM
aye, capcom just ignore you if you ask about it... I was lol

pukegreen
04-17-2010, 12:26 PM
I really want this game but I won't buy it unless the drm is removed. Its funny that I actually contemplated pirating the game so that I could have my own personal copy that doesn't have usage restrictions. I decided against it but If I thought about it, I'm sure others have too.

iamturok
04-17-2010, 06:08 PM
I really want this game but I won't buy it unless the drm is removed. Its funny that I actually contemplated pirating the game so that I could have my own personal copy that doesn't have usage restrictions. I decided against it but If I thought about it, I'm sure others have too.
This is me here, exactly. As soon as the DRM is gone, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. But until then, I'll wait.

Cedge
04-17-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm passing, as well. Pity.

That is not true; not in the case of Steam, anyways.

Do you actually understand what "shrinkwrap contract" means? The reason that "shrinkwrap" contracts don't always hold up in court is because, due to the fact that they're usually literally sealed inside the packaging, it is not possible for the customer to review the EULA, before actually buying the product.

Steam is different. On Steam, the EULAs are readily available for you to review before you make a purchase (and in fact, you have to press a button asserting that you have read and understood the contract, when you make your Steam account, AND every time you make a purchase). The "shrinkwrap" problem does not exist on Steam; all Steam EULAs are completely legally-enforceable, both to Valve, and to the users.

The notion that something about EULAs makes them not legally-binding, or that they can't ever hold up in court, is completely untrue. They are legally-binding contracts, when made available to the parties signing into them.

powersurge
04-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Agreed. I'll bite as soon as the DRM comes off. Isn't steam itself enough?

I have to say though even missing real buttons the iPhone version isn't half bad. Its too bad though they are way too big and toward the center to be playable on an iPad. I'd love to play this on a bigger screen with real buttons :(

Fatdude
04-18-2010, 04:45 AM
Also did anyone check if the game gives back 1 activation each month like they did in new GTA games?It has 15 activation and each month you get 1 back.

If this is the case with this game i'll buy it.

pkt-zer0
04-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Note: SecuROM won't be gone, the only reason it's there is due to lack of resources, which a patch would also need. Quote from Sven (official Capcom person):

Guys, we did a single build of a very inexpensive game. We didn't 't have the resources on that title to do multiple builds and test passes for it for multiple outlets. All of our digital distribution partners received the same build this time around. It's a great game and it's selling well, even on Steam.

As with most of our other SecuROM enabled installers, it has full revoke on the authentications provided you uninstall at some point (allowing effectively for infinite installs).

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/23143549/Securom_on_Dark_Void_Zero_Steam_-_really_Really!&post_num=5#410396901

NalgasDLemur
04-18-2010, 02:01 PM
I guess that settles that, then. My solution for making/testing a single build would be to only make one without SecuROM, but it's their decision, not mine. Just like it's mine to go play something else instead now. Oh well. I have too much stuff to catch up on already anyway.

FrozenZade
04-19-2010, 10:25 AM
My involvement in this issue is purely from a "Can I play it standpoint." I hate SecuROM not because it hinders me piratin' ability (had I one), or because I lend games to friends (which I'm less concerned over than going a mile over the speed limit), but because SecuROM has made games unplayable for me in the past. I honestly could not play Bioshock or Dark Messiah (I bought both the same day 'cause of a weird sale) for PC in stores because of the SecuROM that came with both games. I spent around seventy bucks for the inability to play videogames.

Needless to say, I am not a fan of excessive DRM. The 5-install limitations seem like it could only affect honest people; I don't doubt for a moment that pirates already have this cracked. Sure this cuts down on "casual piracy" as has been mentioned in this thread, but the question is: are the people who lend other their steam accounts to play games a bigger concern than those of the honest and loyal customers who might have computer troubles or multiple PCs? I can't imagine it is.

MikeHaggar
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Note: SecuROM won't be gone, the only reason it's there is due to lack of resources, which a patch would also need. Quote from Sven (official Capcom person):

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/23143549/Securom_on_Dark_Void_Zero_Steam_-_really_Really!&post_num=5#410396901
"assuming you uninstall at some point"? and how does that work? does right clicking on the game and clicking "delete local files" count as a uninstall?

anyway, theres no way im buying this with this limit. sure you can work around but if i pay for a product there is no reason at all that I should have to worry about that stuff.

Cedge
04-22-2010, 03:34 AM
Their excuse about "a single build" is complete bull. The Steam version of the game is unique, in that it has Steamworks features, which of course, the other versions do not. Clearly, there is more than one build in existence.

Mac Flavor
04-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Man, that's just great. An 8-bit game with a two-bit DRM scheme.

I won't be buying this game.

jimmirock
05-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Their excuse about "a single build" is complete bull. The Steam version of the game is unique, in that it has Steamworks features, which of course, the other versions do not. Clearly, there is more than one build in existence.

I don't buy it either.
I've been in charge of submitting games to DD channels in the past. It's quite common to have some guys request text versions of manuals or whatever is required.

I've love to know the full details of this, just as I'd love to play this game.

Cheese Roller
05-06-2010, 04:26 AM
Yeah. I was RIGHT about to buy it when I saw the word SecuROM.

Another lost sale here.

Swinetower
06-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Not buying as well, not until SecuROM is lifted. This is a sale waiting to be made.

kebrus
08-26-2010, 07:50 AM
saw the capcom sales, saw the low price of a supposedly great game, thought of buying...

...saw the 5 limit DRM and stopped

another game that i don't buy because of DRM, if i'm correct that makes 4 of them now... one less sale from me capcom

jimmirock
08-26-2010, 08:14 AM
I was really hoping they fixed this by now.

I guess I won't be buying this game after all.

Swinetower
12-20-2010, 10:51 PM
$2.49, huh? I wonder if...

Nope, still has SecuROM.

CanyonOasis
12-26-2010, 10:38 PM

You speak for all of us man.

chrisdglong
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
It seems like a waste to strap activation limits on this game... just my opinion though... being a 5 dollar game and all.

deadlybydesign
01-13-2011, 01:07 PM
I finally avoided the issue by buying it on my iPod touch instead.

$2.99

jimmirock
01-15-2011, 05:04 AM
I keep punishing myself and returning here.

soldussnaku
02-08-2011, 07:32 PM
No sale here. Not only is the drm useless '(I mean really, the game is only a google away from 'that'), it's freaking 3.

Someone at capcom budgeted the game very,very wrong.

DangerDave00
04-01-2011, 02:08 AM
I have a ghetto laptop this would be perfect for.. Capcom, I will happily pay twice as much for a drm free edition.

jimmirock
04-15-2011, 05:27 AM
Nope. Still with DRM. Is it about time to drop all hope of ever buying this game?
I fear it is :(
Totally up my street too. A playable "classic" styled game with support for modern tech like achievements and controllers? I really wish I could buy this game.

Pad0nak
10-19-2011, 01:30 AM
I have bought this game but was waiting for the update without DRM :( Capcom is a relic of the past

PsyFX
12-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Capcom....

Grab a Freaking Clue and Drop the DRM...
I was so close to purchasing...

Baardmeester
01-01-2012, 05:07 PM
And lost another costumer...

TJF588
01-01-2012, 06:32 PM
One buck in this sale, packed with cheevos, and yet... I'd sooner grab it on my 3DS, all else equal, but the Steam features and Steam's sales make this the more attractive platform. But, well, don't even want to give one dollar toward this silly kind of DRM.

It's not that big of a deal, but it's because it's not that big a deal on its own that it's such a big deal that the trouble was gone through to add it.

number3son
02-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Aside from just being silly to have DRM on a $5 game in the first place, it's well past its usefulness now and a DRM removal patch would be welcome for those few of us who bought the game (and those other few who are waiting for the removal to buy it).

JimD
06-02-2012, 07:59 PM
This is ridiculous.

Action2000
06-12-2012, 05:18 AM
yep, ridiculous, no buy with that drm...

sad... looks fun

Baardmeester
07-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Every sale I check this game cause it looks fun and it's dirt cheap. But they never remove the drm. No money for you capcom...

paratech2008
07-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Frag, I wish I had paid better attention, Capcom is nuts putting this kind of DRM on a NES wannabe game! :mad:

occono
02-03-2013, 11:35 AM
I guess they're worried less about pirates and more people sharing games with their friends in offline mode. But if people are going to stick with Steam offline mode and their friends games, they're not going to be buying DVZ or any Steam game ever anyway, they're casual gamers.