PDA

View Full Version : RailDriver disappointment

kenparse
04-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi.

I'm a novice train simmer. Having a few problems with RailDriver. Looked at their website but seems that not many people of late have voiced any opinions or requests. ie not much action or responce.

I run Windows XP home edition and also RailWorks (which I think is just great) !!!:D

Re RailDriver: The six lefthand buttons react as follows:

1. P raises pentagraph then drops it like a hot potatoe!!
2. BELL sounds the horn even when current engine has a bell.
3. ALERT dosen't work period.
4. RANGE no responce.
5. E-STOP push up - stops train. push down - nothing.
6. SAND - maybe I've run out but not much action here either !!!

I've only managed to program three BLUE BUTTONS on the keyboard so far the rest just do not respond to any editing.

Any editing of the six left hand buttons results in me having to uninstall RailDriver/RailWorks and start all over again due to total freeze up of RailDriver and RailWorks.

Would any RailDriver expert please guide me into the paths of sanity so that I might enjoy my expensive toy. By the way, all the levers are a joy to use.

Thank you for any advice.

Stay on the tracks.

Frustrated Canada Ken.

FootplateManWSR
04-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Ken,

Check your PMs

No need to be frustrated.
Pantograph controls are not programmed correctly for RW in the default setup.
The Bell is a known issue. Which loco, please?
Alert certainly does work
Range is not yet available for selection in RW, In MSTS this was used for the gears in DMUs
E-STOP up in the default setup applies the emergency brakes
Sand will apply sand for as long as you press the button. RW currently has infinite sand

If you have calibrated, then the RailDriver is working correctly
DO NOT attempt to program RailDriver with RW running this will cause MacroWorks II and RW to hang

Programming the RailDriver is a doddle if you follow the rules.

Driving with RailDriver

Do not expect to get two-speed wipers with RW

Do not expect the light switch to worrk correctly with RW. It's not completely sane in RW depending on the author of the loco and whether you have applied any of the various lights fixes available. Use your keyboard for more predictable results

Unless you have RS installed as well as RW, do not use the RailDriver Launcher, run RDMWII.exe (put a shortcut on your desktop) and leave it running (make sure it's the red icon, the blue one is for RS) in the systray. After you have done that, then plug your RailDriver into the USB port.

Do not expect RailDriver to respond correctly until you have boarded a train, then select RailDriver Run/Stop from the bottom left blue key (Whatever you do, do not re-program this key).

Once RailDriver is showing 000 in the LCD display, select the technical HUD in RW (F5), then do like pilots do and carry out "full and free" checks on your RailDriver analogue controls (the levers). Make sure they change the corresponding values in the tech HUD.

Check your view controls (the 2-way and 4-way rocker switches) work.

You are now ready to drive.

This sounds a much longer procedure than it is. This is what I do and RailDriver always works for me.

Andy

old timer
04-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Ken,

Check your PMs

No need to be frustrated.
Pantograph controls are not programmed correctly for RW in the default setup.
The Bell is a known issue. Which loco, please?
Alert certainly does work
Range is not yet available for selection in RW, In MSTS this was used for the gears in DMUs
E-STOP up in the default setup applies the emergency brakes
Sand will apply sand for as long as you press the button. RW currently has infinite sand

If you have calibrated, then the RailDriver is working correctly
DO NOT attempt to program RailDriver with RW running this will cause MacroWorks II and RW to hang

Programming the RailDriver is a doddle if you follow the rules.

Driving with RailDriver

Do not expect to get two-speed wipers with RW

Do not expect the light switch to worrk correctly with RW. It's not completely sane in RW depending on the author of the loco and whether you have applied any of the various lights fixes available. Use your keyboard for more predictable results

Unless you have RS installed as well as RW, do not use the RailDriver Launcher, run RDMWII.exe (put a shortcut on your desktop) and leave it running (make sure it's the red icon, the blue one is for RS) in the systray. After you have done that, then plug your RailDriver into the USB port.

Do not expect RailDriver to respond correctly until you have boarded a train, then select RailDriver Run/Stop from the bottom left blue key (Whatever you do, do not re-program this key).

Once RailDriver is showing 000 in the LCD display, select the technical HUD in RW (F5), then do like pilots do and carry out "full and free" checks on your RailDriver analogue controls (the levers). Make sure they change the corresponding values in the tech HUD.

Check your view controls (the 2-way and 4-way rocker switches) work.

You are now ready to drive.

This sounds a much longer procedure than it is. This is what I do and RailDriver always works for me.

Andy

My RD works about the same +19 blue buttons,Dan at PE the makers of RD re programed mine for RW

Good luck
Ron

FootplateManWSR
04-12-2010, 07:45 AM
The trick is to acquire the knowledge for yourself. That way if either RSC or PI issue updates then you will be able re-program without delay.
The best example of this would be if and when PI make the lights control work like it did for MSTS and look for a change of state of the switch.

Andy