PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Battery issue

PikminOverlord
04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
I was using my laptop today and my laptop said that the battery was at 50%. I wasn't doing anything intensive, just working on a paper and listening to some streaming radio. Literally the next second it dropped all of the way down to 8%, so I shut down my laptop. Now my battery only charges up to 50%. I have no clue what happened. Did my battery short out? Should I continue to use it?

TheMG
04-12-2010, 09:53 PM
How old is it and how much do you use it?

It's possible the battery has just reached the end of its life if it's a few years old or you've used it quite intensively. At end of life their capacity tend to drop off fairly rapidly at times, or it's possible you just haven't noticed the declining capacity until now when it has actually reached a critical level.

Fatimmortal
04-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Well, if the battery is dead, you have two choices.

1) Buy a new battery
2) McGuyver yourself a new one with some stuff, like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtqRvAu71Gw).

Take note, the second choice is pretty risky if you don't have the correct knowledge when it comes to electronics.

PikminOverlord
04-13-2010, 04:11 PM
The battery isn't old. I bought my laptop back in November, but I do use my laptop quite a bit. Any other suggestions?

the.sooty
04-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Batteries are made up of a number of cells, it sounds like you have a problem with one of the cells. Run it through a couple of full charge/discharge cycles to see if it's just a blip that sorts itself out through levelling out the charge. But if you have a 6 cell battery, and one has conked out, then you you have lost a 6th of your capacity. if half of them have gone, then it is likely a more serious problem.

Unfortunately, batteries are generally considered consumables, and trying to get them replaced under warranty will be like pulling teeth.

usually a few discharges even things out, as batteries aren't really designed to be permanently charged. If you have a desktop replacement machine, you will usually leave it plugged in all the time. I'd recommend discharging and recharging every week or so.

dosbox
04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
The battery isn't old. I bought my laptop back in November, but I do use my laptop quite a bit. Any other suggestions?

Assuming your laptop is still under warranty, contact the laptop manufacturer.

If it's a HP laptop, they have a program that will report on the health of the cells in the battery - HP Battery Check (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00821429). Other manufacturers may have something similar.

TheMG
04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
But if you have a 6 cell battery, and one has conked out, then you you have lost a 6th of your capacity. if half of them have gone, then it is likely a more serious problem.

Actually if one cell has completely conked out you lose a lot more than 1/6th the capacity, since the pack will reach its low voltage threshold significantly quicker.

The difference between the voltage of a fully charged and a discharged li-ion cell is relatively small, so a completely fubar cell at 0V could mean the battery kicks out on low voltage even though all the good cells may still have 75% charge remaining.

seseorang
04-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Batteries can last around 1000 charge cycles. After that they deteriorate. They are easy to replace, but expensive at times. Which is why they are easy to swap out with little knowledge. If it's under warranty, contact you dealer/reseller.