PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it at 50% off?

omnithrope
04-15-2010, 05:56 PM
I know most reviews and opinions I have read about this game have been, well, less than favorable. I'm hoping to hear from those of you that thought the game was "meh."

Is picking up the game worth it now that there's a 50% off sale?

Honestly, the (short) length alone is almost enough to keep me from buying it...

:confused:

However, I'm considering it. I just don't want another Steam game that I buy and never play because it's just plain bad.

Numnums
04-15-2010, 06:01 PM
im tempted but awaiting some peoples input

Tawwa
04-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Does anybody know if the game is cut or uncut in germany?

Dear Tawwa

airblad3
04-15-2010, 06:33 PM
I also want to know... is this the weekend deal ?

Zero1
04-15-2010, 06:38 PM
If you have to watch how much you download, be ready as it's between 25 - 30 GIG

Ciaos
04-15-2010, 06:40 PM
30gb? Really?

Zero1
04-15-2010, 06:49 PM
30gb? Really?

Looks like it. (http://www.porkpieclub.com/image1.jpg)

rh224
04-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Looks like it. (http://www.porkpieclub.com/image1.jpg)

I just made a thread on this. Seems unlikely. Steam is occasionally wrong in that dialogue.

Ciaos
04-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Well I just checked the Gamespot and IGN video reviews and it seems ok. I'm a Star Wars nut so this would probably be a good investment.

And yeah, its 25GB install, which is insane.

rh224
04-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Well, hell. The store page says 30 GB too.

omnithrope
04-15-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm glad that you all got the size sorted out in my thread, but... the question still stands: Is it worth the current price?

Zero1
04-15-2010, 06:55 PM
I just made a thread on this. Seems unlikely. Steam is occasionally wrong in that dialogue.

I just started the download and it says 29.6 gig :eek:

GoldenShadow
04-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I already own this on PS3, but it comes with all the DLC, which costs more than 15 dollars by itself on the consoles. And you can't even buy the newest DLC, it only comes with the ultimate sith version. If your PC can handle it, buy it on steam right now. I am buying it again for the new stuff and I'm sure my PC will run it better.

Berzeger_
04-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Now imagine they'd be selling it on CDs (~700MB each). 43 CDs in a case :)

marciohuser
04-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Now imagine they'd be selling it on CDs (~700MB each). 43 CDs in a case :)CD? Does anyone still work with CDs nowadays?

About the game: 15 bucks, and Gamespot rate it as 5/10 (the Ultimate Sith Version. Oddly enought, the regular PS3 version is 7.5/10). Is it EVEN worth it, REALLY?

Sweetz
04-15-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm glad that you all got the size sorted out in my thread, but... the question still stands: Is it worth the current price?
Yes and no.

Yes, because it's a fun action platformer in the style of Devil May Cry or God of War. Not as good or as polished as those games, but still entertaining and worth it if you're Star Wars fan.

No, in that you better have a beefy PC to run it. Don't bother if you've got anything less than a GTX 275 (or whatever the equivalent ATI card is) and a higher end Core 2 Duo/Quad at minimum.

GoldenShadow
04-15-2010, 07:48 PM
I have a GTX 275 and my CPU is corei7 OC to 3.3Ghz

Metro
04-15-2010, 07:56 PM
65 metacritic. When even the biased/bribed main stream gaming magazines and websites give it a 65 you know it can't be that good.

Quatrix
04-15-2010, 08:03 PM
The 1.2 patch mentions performance improvements as of March, rendering many of the earlier, negative reviews irrelevant. And the people whining about the controls shouldn't try to use a keyboard and mouse to play a game specifically designed for controllers in the first place. It's probably pretty close now to the console versions, which have user ratings in the 8.5 range.

Sweetz
04-15-2010, 08:17 PM
The 1.2 patch mentions performance improvements as of March, rendering many of the earlier, negative reviews irrelevant.
How so? Performance was hardly the only criticism and even if (and I heavily stress if, because no one has actually verified the performance improvements) it's still locked at 30fps, which isn't acceptable for PC game.

What I mean is, even if the game is playable at 30fps, those of us with GTX285s and HD5870s shouldn't be stuck playing it at 30fps because of lazy porting.

Now that said, only a fool uses Metacritic scores to determine whether to buy a game. For some sites 6/10 means crap because they don't actually use the whole scale, but for other sites 6/10 really means average, which is to say a fun, but not awesome game. This why you stick with one or two review sites that you trust and actually READ the reviews instead of looking at idiotic aggregate scores.

---

Force Unleashed is a good game, but the PC port is the most lackluster port of a console game I can think of going back like 3 years. There are critcisms beyond just the performance and I say a 6/10 (on a real scale where you actually use the whole scale) is about right.

Joshua Smith
04-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I know most reviews and opinions I have read about this game have been, well, less than favorable. I'm hoping to hear from those of you that thought the game was "meh."

Is picking up the game worth it now that there's a 50% off sale?

Honestly, the (short) length alone is almost enough to keep me from buying it...

:confused:

However, I'm considering it. I just don't want another Steam game that I buy and never play because it's just plain bad.

Yes, absolutely buy this game at 50%, you won't regret it.

360 controller works awsomely

Joshua Smith
04-15-2010, 08:23 PM
How so? Performance was hardly the only criticism and even if (and I heavily stress if, because no one has actually verified the performance improvements) it's still locked at 30fps, which isn't acceptable for PC game.

What I mean is, even if the game is playable at 30fps, those of us with GTX285s and HD5870s shouldn't be stuck playing it at 30fps because of lazy porting.

Now that said, only a fool uses Metacritic scores to determine whether to buy a game. For some sites 6/10 means crap, but for others 6/10 really means 6/10, which is to say an average, fun game. This why you stick with one or two review sites that you trust and actually READ the reviews instead of looking at idiotic aggregate scores.

the 30fps cap doesn't hurt this game at all

Aetius
04-15-2010, 08:28 PM
To be honest, it's pretty crap. The lightsaber duels SUCK! There is no freedom it seems in boss fights. The general gameplay is sub-par and there are A LOT of irritating moments in the game which lose their fun appeal after the first couple of times you fail them. There are some really cool parts in the game i must say but over all it's a disappointment.

For $15 i would get it only IF you like Star Wars, aren't expecting too much and don't mind feeling extremely frustrated because you keep failing at stupid pre-scripted death sequence 'push a button at the exact moment' scenes.

If you want to experience MUCH better lightsaber combat, duels and force wielding and overall feel that you really are playing a Jedi/Sith then Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy are superb choices.

Lucas Arts should have retained the gameplay from these games and continued to develop the Jedi Knight series. I'm dumbfounded as to why the Jedi Knight series seems to have halted when it was so brilliant... And to be replaced by this game just seems ludicrous.

Sweetz
04-15-2010, 08:30 PM
the 30fps cap doesn't hurt this game at all
In your opinion.

I still had fun with the game, but when you've got a GTX 285 and every other game you play runs 60fps at 1920x1080, playing a game at 30fps is noticable. Compared to other high motion 3rd person console ports I've played, like Prince of Persia or the newer Tomb Raiders, it really is a detriment to the game. Expecting PC port to have an uncapped framerate certainly isn't unreasonable since all it's peers obviously manage it just fine...

I'm not saying it's unplayable, but saying "it doesn't hurt the game at all" isn't an accurate statement in my book.

Joshua Smith
04-15-2010, 08:38 PM
In your opinion.

I still had fun with the game, but when you've got a GTX 285 and every other game you play runs 60fps at 1920x1080, playing a game at 30fps is noticable. Compared to other high motion 3rd person console ports I've played, like Prince of Persia or the newer Tomb Raiders, it really is a detriment to the game. Expecting PC port to have an uncapped framerate certainly isn't unreasonable since all it's peers from obviously manage it just fine...

I'm not saying it's unplayable, but saying "it doesn't hurt the game at all" isn't an accurate statement in my book.

TFU kills POP and runs better/looks better.

Sweetz
04-15-2010, 08:39 PM
TFU kills POP and runs better/looks better.
In your opinion ;)

POP runs 60fps for me. TFU doesn't because it can't and presumably never will. The entertainment value and looks are subjective...

You're obviously a fan of TFU, but you're not seriously suggesting that it isn't fair to criticize the game for failing to meet a standard that EVERY OTHER CONSOLE PORT ON THE MARKET was able to meet are you? I'm generally on your side, I'm saying the game is worth it (provided you have a decent system), but it is hardly without flaw.

CozierZebra
04-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Regardless of price or platform, I wouldn't go for this game.

I was pretty hyped about this game's release back when it was announced; pre-ordered it, even bought the guide book for it :rolleyes. Then I got my hands on it. Game-play was irritating, controls were clunky, and bugs were rampant. It looks pretty
good though...

By now I'm sure the bugs that made me hate this game, like the holocrons not registering after a certain point, have been fixed. But the damage is done.

The only reason I put myself through the mental anguish this game created for me was for the achievements. At the time I was a pretty big achievement ♥♥♥♥♥.

Slarak
04-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Played & beaten on Xbox. It was a good rent I'll give it that, but I doubt you'd come back to it any time soon after beating it. I'm no huge Star Wars fan, but it was enjoyable. Repetative, but enjoyable. Make sure you have a controller if you plan on playing though.

Joshua Smith
04-15-2010, 09:18 PM
In your opinion ;)

POP runs 60fps for me. TFU doesn't because it can't and presumably never will. The entertainment value and looks are subjective...

You're obviously a fan of TFU, but you're not seriously suggesting that it isn't fair to criticize the game for failing to meet a standard that EVERY OTHER CONSOLE PORT ON THE MARKET was able to meet are you? I'm generally on your side, I'm saying the game is worth it (provided you have a decent system), but it is hardly without flaw.

fair enough, I must admit... I have a huge yoda poster over my monitor :D

alehm
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Name 1 PC port to console that requires Xbox or PS3 users to hook up a keyboard and mouse to play? How friggin lazy this game is ported I have to go buy an controller to hook up to my PC?

Star Wars is one of the few universes that great games should easily come out of it. Xwing... Tie Fighter... Dark Forces... then it began spiralling into terrible games like Obiwan, Yoda Stories, Rebellion, ect

I had kept my eye on this game at a distance because of the crap lucasarts has been churning out since Phantom Menace. Apparently it isn't time to come back to it. How can these guys in suits consistantly mess this up for so long?

wazups 2x
04-15-2010, 10:28 PM
HORRIBLE controls, horrible game.

Freeps
04-15-2010, 10:54 PM
HORRIBLE controls, horrible game.

Like he sais horrible controls and it runs like crap, no graphics menu you cant change the graphics settings no AA support, nothing and the worst is that it runs like crap on my Pc!
I played it 10 mins and then i unistalled it

My pc specs are
quadcore q6600 2.4 ghz
geforce gtx 275 896 DDR3 VRAM
4gb memory

I was getting something like 25 fps

sithtis
04-15-2010, 11:01 PM
To be honest, it's pretty crap. The lightsaber duels SUCK! There is no freedom it seems in boss fights. The general gameplay is sub-par and there are A LOT of irritating moments in the game which lose their fun appeal after the first couple of times you fail them. There are some really cool parts in the game i must say but over all it's a disappointment.

For $15 i would get it only IF you like Star Wars, aren't expecting too much and don't mind feeling extremely frustrated because you keep failing at stupid pre-scripted death sequence 'push a button at the exact moment' scenes.

If you want to experience MUCH better lightsaber combat, duels and force wielding and overall feel that you really are playing a Jedi/Sith then Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy are superb choices.

Lucas Arts should have retained the gameplay from these games and continued to develop the Jedi Knight series. I'm dumbfounded as to why the Jedi Knight series seems to have halted when it was so brilliant... And to be replaced by this game just seems ludicrous.

What he says

Quatrix
04-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Name 1 PC port to console that requires Xbox or PS3 users to hook up a keyboard and mouse to play? How friggin lazy this game is ported I have to go buy an controller to hook up to my PC?

Computers had joysticks and gamepads long before the XBOX and PlayStation existed. They're not specific to consoles. Unless you stubbornly play nothing but first-person shooters, I don't see how you can call yourself a PC gamer if you don't even have a gamepad hooked up. It doesn't make sense to play fighting, racing, platforming, etc. games with a keyboard when a good gamepad is 20 bucks or less.

By the way, this game runs pretty well for me. Maybe they shouldn't have locked the frame rate, but if every game on every console works just fine at 30 frames per second, then it's not a major issue.

For the record, I play exclusively on the PC and haven't owned a console since the Dreamcast.

CynicalNinja
04-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Hmm. General consensus on this appears to be no, unless you're a diehard Star Wars fan with a really good graphics card (and even then you're locked at 30FPS - wtf?).

That, plus the game is a 25.4GB (http://www.porkpieclub.com/Image1.jpg) [!!!!] download (i.e., it was a lazy port of the PS3 version), and the controls apparently suck.

I'll have to pass on this one.

TheTingler
04-16-2010, 01:46 AM
If it wasn't for the ridiculously stupidly high install, I'd get it in a heartbeat at that price.

lkevil
04-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Even though i'm a massive star wars fan and a PC only gamer, i'm going to have to pass, as my nvidea 7900 probably won't cut it, plus my ISP limits me to 40GB a month so I can't afford to blow over half of it on one game.

maul_inc
04-16-2010, 01:50 AM
I have completed this game (pc version) and think it's actually fun, but not original or innovative (Jedi Knight series still rules) but there is a lot of spectacular set pieces and I think it's fun to go nuts with destructive force powers :-)
I completed the game with mouse and keyboard (no problems, except for a few annoying camera issues just like the tomb raider and Assassins Creed/Prince of persia games).
Btw. the game (with the latest update) runs fine on my system, which is a Q6600@3Ghz and a Geforce 8800Gts(G92)512Vram and I can play the game with Max details at 1680X1050 and the game runs just fine (I know there is a fps limiter so I play at 30 fps)

So if you have a Dual core and one of the following Gpu's you are covered: Geforce 8800GTS(G92), 9800GTX, Geforce250 (they are basically the same chip with a few enhancements)

trek554
04-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Even though i'm a massive star wars fan and a PC only gamer, i'm going to have to pass, as my nvidea 7900 probably won't cut it, plus my ISP limits me to 40GB a month so I can't afford to blow over half of it on one game.you are a "PC only gamer" and you have a 7900? it doesnt sound like you really play any modern games at least not on decent settings. btw what cpu do you have and how much memory is in that pc of yours?

wazups 2x
04-16-2010, 02:29 AM
you are a "PC only gamer" and you have a 7900? it doesnt sound like you really play any modern games at least not on decent settings. btw what cpu do you have and how much memory is in that pc of yours?

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

trusteft
04-16-2010, 05:58 AM
I just don't know who to believe or what any more, regarding this game. The truly negative points mentioned here are in such a way that sound like kids blasting a game just because.
I am a computer gamer since the early 80's and console +PC gamer for the last few years. I am a GAMER more than anything else. I don't care about platforms much (I own all of the modern ones), but I always prefer the PC version when there isn't some stupid DRM in the middle. (hear me Ubisoft?)

So the negative points according to some are:
1) fps cap of 30,

30 is 5 above fluid, so I am ok with that. Hell, I was playing 3D racing games and flight sims on my Atari ST and was getting fps of 5-10. Try to dogfight with that lol.

2)The game is short at 7-9 hours of play.

This I can understand more, but I hate to admit, 9 hours out of a good action game for 14 is not bad. Plus, I am bound to play the game a second time eventually, so it isn't bad.

3)The download is between 25-30GB.

For those who have bandwidth limits, this sucks, but what sucks more is the limit. Not the game that is this big. I am glad the videos are the original HD ones and I don't have a download limit, so it's a win win situation for me. Almost, because all my hard drives are full lol.

4)The game is demanding in hardware.
Another understandable thing. I have a Q9550, 8GB of RAM, a 4870X2. Enough to run this game at good detail at 30fps which is the cap. And even if I had to download a detail or something, it wouldn't kill me. I am fine with it.

5)It's better to use a gamepad to play the game.

So freaking what? I grew up using joysticks for my COMPUTER games, who cares? I have a couple of gamepads available for my PC. Any gamer, even PC centric, should have at least one. I don't know what Bible you read that says PC gamers shouldn't use gamepads, but it is a false one.

I am not saying I am going to buy the game since I am waiting to see what else will be available form D2D from Monday on, but I very possibly might get it either way.

I am a Star Wars fan, but not a fanatic or one who knows details about whatever in the world of SW. It is only going to give me more enjoyment that I like the Universe of the game.

and yes, I have played all the SW games before. I had fun playing KoTR, but I also had fun playing Star Wars Racer.

They are fun games, not instructions on how to live your life.
Relax!

velvetmeds
04-16-2010, 06:39 AM
any game with a 30fps cap does not deserve to be played

trusteft
04-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Pfff, it's like talking to a brick wall.

hal859
04-16-2010, 07:37 AM
30 is 5 above fluid
On a television

maul_inc
04-16-2010, 07:52 AM
30 fps is fluid regardless of the type of screen used (as long as you don't run a game with 3d mode* enabled then you will need double the fps) and this game is running fine for me at 30 fps, just disable V-Sync as it kills performance

* I'm talking about games that supports 3d glasses and thereby requires twice as many fps to be fluid

kalirion
04-16-2010, 08:22 AM
you are a "PC only gamer" and you have a 7900? it doesnt sound like you really play any modern games at least not on decent settings. btw what cpu do you have and how much memory is in that pc of yours?

Hey, he might be gaming on a 17-19" CRT, which would make games look good on far lower resolutions . And "decent settings" are subjective. I have a 9600GT, play most games at 1920x1080, and am doing fine for the most part.

airblad3
04-16-2010, 08:36 AM
MMMM maybe i'll wait when its lower than 10 bucks.

Ciaos
04-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Ok been playing for about 2 hours. 30FPS Cap is slightly annoying but on the most part it is smooth enough. Play for a while and you get used to it.

The game is fun, if somewhat repetitive. The Star Wars fan inside me enjoys it though.

As for hardware, it isn't too demanding. I play it fine with no slowdowns on a 9800GT on 1650x1200, so you certainly do not need a GTX275 as suggested to run it.

trusteft
04-16-2010, 12:38 PM
In the game you are basically a mean bad ♥♥♥, right? Killing Rebels and innocent people, right?

MUGARO
04-16-2010, 12:58 PM

I rep'd you for this, page 2 and we finally get the opinion I checked the forums for.

chrisdglong
04-16-2010, 01:10 PM
No achievements, the game has been able to be had for around 10 bucks on the console, a console port... yeah, not really worth it.

kalirion
04-16-2010, 01:34 PM
I used to play Duke Nuke 3D at 15-20 fps (640x480 on a Pentium 100MHz). But nowadays I get extremely annoyed at any game where the framerates is < 45 (except Crysis which played more or less well at 25fps.)

omnithrope
04-16-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm not going to be wasting my money based on everyones feedback. Thanks to those of you that responded with gameplay info.

Sweetz
04-16-2010, 06:06 PM
30 is 5 above fluid, so I am ok with that.
30fps is fluid when you have motion blur. TFU does not have motion blur (which is a shame because it would probably suit the game).

I'm not saying 30fps is really jerky either - but I guarantee you that if you ran the same game without motion blur on two machines side by side, one locked at 30fps and the other at 60fps - you could tell a difference. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it is still a valid complaint when we, as PC gamers, have come to expect that the PC ports of games usually aren't constrained by the graphical limitations of their console counterparts.

Is that, by itself, a reason not to get the game - no, but it certainly contributes along with other things, to making the decision harder. I mean sure you can break down the game's flaws one-by-one and say individually they don't matter, and that's probably true; but you don't encounter them one-by-one, you have to deal with them all combined and they add up to make a significant dent in the overall quality.

Kryyn
04-16-2010, 06:15 PM
All in All, the game is worth it if you're a Star Wars fan and otherwise don't have access to the console versions.

trusteft
04-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I watched several videos of the game. Gameplay videos all. I just don't see what so many people complain about. Yes the game shouldn't be capped, I agree 100%. But to say this is a reason to not get the game is something I find funny.
I am going to buy this game because 1)I want to and I am not convinced this game sucks as so many here claim, 2)just to piss off some people.

If I play the game and it sucks, I will post here and say how much I suck.

omnithrope
04-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I am going to buy this game just to jarate off some people.

Really?
I mean... really?

You go, girl...

chevelleking
04-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I bought it and just played through two levels, TBH it's probably worth playing for $15 assuming you like Star Wars and have nothing else to play.

scary_perry
04-16-2010, 08:15 PM
I really liked the game on the 360 - the game is OK. But the port is allegedly really bad. There were a couple of patches...

Joshua Smith
04-16-2010, 08:33 PM
30fps is fluid when you have motion blur. TFU does not have motion blur (which is a shame because it would probably suit the game).

I'm not saying 30fps is really jerky either - but I guarantee you that if you ran the same game without motion blur on two machines side by side, one locked at 30fps and the other at 60fps - you could tell a difference. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it is still a valid complaint when we, as PC gamers, have come to expect that the PC ports of games usually aren't constrained by the graphical limitations of their console counterparts.

Is that, by itself, a reason not to get the game - no, but it certainly contributes along with other things, to making the decision harder. I mean sure you can break down the game's flaws one-by-one and say individually they don't matter, and that's probably true; but you don't encounter them one-by-one, you have to deal with them all combined and they add up to make a significant dent in the overall quality.

^^ You seriously have no argument and should read the first post.
(this thread is about the 50% sale lol)

well worth 15$
/endthread

Jito463
04-16-2010, 08:35 PM
For $15, I decided to take a chance. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as trusteft. All my HDD's are full, heh. 2TB of combined space, and I'm just about full. Time to add that other 1TB HDD to my system...

Sweetz
04-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Yes because everything in forum threads always relates to the first post :rolleyes:

While we're declaring the thread over, perhaps we should note that the original poster alrady said he won't be getting it back at post #53.

NalgasDLemur
04-16-2010, 10:36 PM

It might not be an argument you care about, which is fine, but some of us do, and for us it's related to whether the sale is worth it or not.

I'm still debating, since it's relatively cheap (although I'm used to $10 and under with all the sales on Steam over the past few months; my average game price over the past two years is about $6) and sounds like it'd probably at least keep me mildly amused for a few hours, but it's also a crappy port, I have several other games I'm not finished with yet (although none in the same genre), and 30 GB over a 1.5 Mbps connection blows proverbial goats (there was a proverb about that, right?).

Psy-Phi
04-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Bought it, and am enjoying it. Works surprisingly well with the Mouse and Keyboard, but is definitely designed with gamepads in mind. But I didn't hate the hour or so I played with the KB/M. Just ran through the Hoth mission, because I played the first half on PS3 (but haven't finished it).

Definitley a beauty of a game, not Crysis or anything but it's up there. And I'm always loving some Star Wars stuff, even if it destroys the timeline in the process :p (the hoth mission I mean, the main campaign falls in nicely with the lore I believe).

The size of this install made me clear out some HDD space, I had only 79GB before installing, now I'm up to 183GB :p. I had a lot of crap on my system that needed to be uninstalled (funny enough most were D2D games that I bought on Steam, or MMO's I tried and didn't like).

Can't comment on the port status being good or not. I'm running a C2Q9550 with a GTX260 216 Core. Runs virtually flawlessly except for when a cutscene prepares to load up (it hitches a second, but it's literally like 2 seconds before the cutscene starts). I'm very happy with how it runs, 1680x1050 max settings. It does take a bit of time to load however. And there's loading when you pause it or go to look at force powers. But that's quite fast (<3 seconds).

Snickersnack
04-17-2010, 01:33 AM
I really liked the game on the 360 - the game is OK. But the port is allegedly really bad. There were a couple of patches...

Its not a perfect port, but the PC version is the best TFU. That doesn't make it any less of a mediocre game, but its faults are hardly worth all scorn getting heaped upon it.

Honestly, after all the hype and getting snubbed for the original release, I think this is just a popular game for pc gamers to hate.

trusteft
04-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Really?
I mean... really?

You go, girl...

Nothing like being sexist to laugh eh?

Well, laugh all you want laughing boy. I got the game, dowloading (currently at 89%).

trusteft
04-17-2010, 07:58 AM
ok, I played through the first large mission as the main character (that is the second mission since the very first it's like an intro mission).
My computer is a Q9550, 4870X2, 8GB ram, Vista 64. Played the game at 1920x1200 (24" monitor).
With a wired xbox 360 gamepad.

I thought that all the negative comments about the game were nothing but whining and nonsense.
I got the game and played it.
I am now certain I was correct.

The game is just great fun to play. I haven't encountered any slow downs, the action was top notch, the graphics are great, the physics in the game are great as usual lately from Havok. The sound needed some adjustment because it almost feels like the music while in game is of at best 128kbit mp3, more like 96. Making it more loud (max) and max the volume of the voices, fixed any real problem.

I don't know if the game is capped at 30fps or not, what I know is that it sure doesn't feel like it drops bellow 30. It's very fluid, very movie like.

If you have a fast quad core cpu +, and a good high end gpu and plan on playing with a 360 controller (that's what I have tried and can vouch for) get the game and don't listen to the negative comments, they are nonsense.
It's too early to rate the game since I am only so far in it, but if I had to I would easily give it a 4/5.

omnithrope
04-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Nothing like being sexist to laugh eh?

"You go, girl" is a rather accepted vernacular (non gendered) in the English language.

89% huh? That means you only have like 15 gigs to go? ;)

trusteft
04-17-2010, 09:34 AM
"You go, girl" is a rather accepted vernacular (non gendered) in the English language.

89% huh? That means you only have like 15 gigs to go? ;)

Check the times...that was last night. (for me)

It was 25GB in total, not 30.
I uninstalled a few games and got the space. Thankfully I don't have small hard drives.

Drowsy
04-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Bought it as well, did read the reviews but for 15$ i decided to take the chance. I like SciFi and i like (not love) the Star Wars saga. I am enjoying myself with it, though it does crash. During the first mission with Darth Vader it crashed as i entered the bridge part early on. After a few hours i restarted the game as i wanted to try some different force point choices and strangely enough, it crashed again at the same point in the level. Currently early in the Mushroom level to dispose of the red Jedi lady as it crashed again when it got a bit crowded with enemies, so took the opportunity to check out this forum :) Not to bothered with the FPS cap (i got bad eyes, hardly notice it) and run on max settings without problems (excluding those weird crashes which feel memory related). Got a Q6600 with 4gb of ram and a GTX280.

edit; As 1TB of drive space is cheaper these days then most games on steam (for europeans) i wasn't bothered at all with the size, other then waiting for the download to finish ofcourse :) Should really be a non issue in 2010, specialy with todays connection speeds.

trusteft
04-17-2010, 10:58 AM
I wonder what is causing the crashes on your side. I have played 4 sessions so far, including training room, and must have played at least 2-3 hours. No crashes or bugs encountered yet. Do you have any other programs running at the same time? I usually shut down everything else before I game.

Drowsy
04-17-2010, 11:04 AM
I have no idea, but upon changing the cloth cape thing i found a log file with 3 reports inside like this;

[04/17/10 11:02:40]
Version: 1.2.94564
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (Read of 0x00000000)
[00000000]
[03F7EB07]
[03F5A2CD]
[37BDF500]

[04/17/10 14:39:07]
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (Write of 0xD8EEDA29)
[2966E790]
[0097DD60]
[00CD6A7D]
[009DAEBD]
[00999F63]
[0097D8E7]
[0097DA46]
[75BD3677]
[773F9D72]
[773F9D45]

[04/17/10 18:25:30]
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (Read of 0x00000020)
[00967C2E]
[7741FF7C]
[7741FFA9]
[0099C22C]
[0097D8D4]
[008FCF36]
[008F18A2]
[00CCE48D]
[0099A4BC]
[0099A501]
[0097D8C1]

All things aside, could just be bad memory on my part i think ;/

trusteft
04-17-2010, 11:27 AM
It might be. Have you checked the temps of the GPU?

Drowsy
04-17-2010, 11:52 AM
It might be. Have you checked the temps of the GPU?

I haven't checked that actualy --The Nvidia driver software won't show the temp data. My old Asus videocard had some nice software that showed it but using a XFX currently, ill see what i can find.

edit; Trying RivaTuner atm, but i suspect its very outdated and doesnt work well with Windows 7 64bit. It lets me monitor pretty much everything (only fetches data for 10% of those things though) except my videocard temperature :) Just my luck :)

But on 2nd thought --If it was something like GPU temperate i wouldnt be able to replicate the problem (i think), it would just crash whenever X temp is reached. I am able to replicate the problem already by just re-playing the first mission as Darth Vader. I reach the quick save point, walk towards the bridge and destroy some things that kill the wookies, it crashes; i restart, continue from quick save point and it doesnt crash after that.

trusteft
04-17-2010, 12:34 PM
What you say makes sense. The thing is, if it is only a game problem at that point, why I haven't also encountered it? You have nothing to lose to check the temps.
Or perhaps it is some specific special effect that doesn't like your GPU-driver combo. You could try loading the game with the lower graphic setting and see if it repeats. Also make sure you don't force AA or AF through the drivers, just to test it.
Also, you can try to check the integrity of the game through steam in case something is wrong there.

handi360
04-17-2010, 12:57 PM
For 15 bucks you get the game and three free DLC's. It plays pretty quick i'm in it for about 11 hr's now and just starting on my 2nd run through of the main game.

You can tell the game is a total port from a console, but within about 1/2 hr or so you get the controls and camera down its really fun.

Definitely worth 15 bucks.

Drowsy
04-17-2010, 01:03 PM
What you say makes sense. The thing is, if it is only a game problem at that point, why I haven't also encountered it? You have nothing to lose to check the temps.
Or perhaps it is some specific special effect that doesn't like your GPU-driver combo. You could try loading the game with the lower graphic setting and see if it repeats. Also make sure you don't force AA or AF through the drivers, just to test it.
Also, you can try to check the integrity of the game through steam in case something is wrong there.

I havent enabled any profile or changed settings in the Nvidia pannel so it shouldnt force things like AA. Checking the integrity of the game atm, takes a while due to the size.
I am still unable to view the temps of my videocard even after updating the drivers. Thats what i get i suppose for buying an el cheapo XFX card :) My best guess atm is that my memory is faulty, makes the most sense with the game crashing twice at exactly the same point.

edit; All files checked and validated, it didnt notify me of errors found at least.
Also, Nvidia pannel does allow me to OC the core and change the fan speed manualy, when i changed the fan speed to max it was louder then my vacuum cleaner, i've never ever heard it that loud during a game (often play with no sound on) If it was at any point overheating it would definitly run on max fan speed and i'd definitly notice the latter :P

NalgasDLemur
04-17-2010, 02:18 PM
I am still unable to view the temps of my videocard even after updating the drivers. Thats what i get i suppose for buying an el cheapo XFX card :)

XFX? Cheap? Where are you buying your hardware? Heh. I've always had good luck with their cards, and their temperature sensors and stuff have worked fine for me, both on ATI and Nvidia cards, in Catalyst/Nvidia Control Panel (or whatever they call it these days) and Everest (which is great to have around if you like or need to monitor stuff like that, either out of curiosity or for troubleshooting). Weird that it's not showing up for you.

i_2_i
04-17-2010, 02:29 PM
yeap, if you are a starwars fan, it you want it for the episode iii-iv story and eye candy. but you have to have to hardware for it and the bandwidth to get it. i look at amazon.com, the price is fair. the lowest they have it is 20+4 and amazon sells it for ~30, $14 is a better deal. but watch out it will take ~5 hours to get it, at least where i am the steam servers are real slow right now. i normally get 2.5-3.0 mb/s and i'm getting under 170kb/s-1.5 mb/s. :-(

trusteft
04-17-2010, 02:45 PM
I havent enabled any profile or changed settings in the Nvidia pannel so it shouldnt force things like AA. Checking the integrity of the game atm, takes a while due to the size.
I am still unable to view the temps of my videocard even after updating the drivers. Thats what i get i suppose for buying an el cheapo XFX card :) My best guess atm is that my memory is faulty, makes the most sense with the game crashing twice at exactly the same point.

edit; All files checked and validated, it didnt notify me of errors found at least.
Also, Nvidia pannel does allow me to OC the core and change the fan speed manualy, when i changed the fan speed to max it was louder then my vacuum cleaner, i've never ever heard it that loud during a game (often play with no sound on) If it was at any point overheating it would definitly run on max fan speed and i'd definitly notice the latter :P

Unless it crashes at that point. You have nothing to lose by trying to set fan to max and load the game.
Else, you can try to remove one or more of the dimms to see if it is a memory problem.

Skytzo_Marc
04-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I have a GTX 275 and my CPU is corei7 OC to 3.3Ghz

Same as me.. wow, lol.

Jazz Ad
04-17-2010, 04:48 PM
I bought it.
Bad console adaptation syndrome, which makes it more frustrating than amusing.
It doesn't even come close to being as good as Jedi Academy.
Beautiful for sure but this does not a good game make.

trusteft
04-17-2010, 05:13 PM
This is an arcade/action game. Jedi Academy had more rpg element s than arcade.

As soon as people realise this isn't Jedi Academy and start seeing it on its own as an 100% action game, the less they will be disappointed.

Jazz Ad, give it a couple of hours.

Yeowj
04-17-2010, 06:18 PM
It's not the worst port I've ever played. Runs well on a ati 5770 and Core i7-860.

If you don't have a 360 pad I would say stay away. Otherwise if you have a strong pc and a pad, the game is really fun. With an interesting story, good cut scenes and great combat.

There's a few issues such as force throwing bodies into invisible texture land, but I didn't notice any real bugs to be honest.

Graphics are fantastic. But the frame rate is a little low, but not noticeably bad. Doesn't really affect gameplay for me. I'd suggest a fast cpu though to keep up with all the physics calculations going on, as a lot of the world is destructible.

Drowsy
04-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Unless it crashes at that point. You have nothing to lose by trying to set fan to max and load the game.
Else, you can try to remove one or more of the dimms to see if it is a memory problem.

thx for the tip :) Having a blast atm and havnt experienced any crashes other then those 3. Though im @ some lvl atm where i gotta take down a destroyer, fun slowly evolving into frustration :P Those silly rocks keep exploding in my face ;s

i_2_i
04-17-2010, 07:00 PM
finally finished downloading ~5 hrs

ran into a little while trying to configure keys and mouse, it kept giving me the mouse button. so i had to find the config.xml file and manually set the keys and mouse.

also if you change the keys, when you play there are times when you have to enter certain key sequences to use a combination of force powers to progress, well guess what, the messages on the screen will be displaying the original keys and not the ones that you picked. so as you are being killed it keeps flashing to press the E key, well you remapped the function, which is force choke to the 4th mouse button or to the delete key. a nightmare in the middle of a boss fight.

plays great, 30fps, mostly smooth, lots of eye candy.

boss level has this like fixed camera view which sucks, makes it hard to figure out what to do, since it's different than game.

also, the game is very linear, not open world, single path.

also, the world is like dead, you can't even destroy the plants, sure they moe while you move through them, but use a light saber on them and they stick around, they could have made it more real...

dead characters instantly disappear shorly after death

ai is like lame, they like just stand around at times, or stuck, while i lay waste to them. also, you see them falling off ledges.

sad, could have been lots more...

FelipeRRM
04-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, think with me:

I bought this when it firt came out for the PS3, for 60 dollars + tax, no DLC at all.

This version has 3 DLC maps, which cost separately 10 dollars each in the PSN, plus 3 (i think) skin packs which cost 5 dollars each, and can run in a higher resolution, with anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering and 3D Vision, all of that for 15 dollars? Even I will buy it again.

And for Star Wars fans (like me) this is totaly AWESOME!

Joshua Smith
04-17-2010, 09:19 PM
This is an arcade/action game. Jedi Academy had more rpg element s than arcade.

As soon as people realise this isn't Jedi Academy and start seeing it on its own as an 100% action game, the less they will be disappointed.

Jazz Ad, give it a couple of hours.

I think god of war win I play this game, I tear ♥♥♥♥ up :D

Yeowj
04-18-2010, 04:48 AM
I think god of war win I play this game, I tear ♥♥♥♥ up :D

I agree, they have taken many gameplay elements from GOW. In particular when jumping and wielding your weapon, you seem to hover in the air. And the ability to jump and smash to the floor and kill foes in close radius is a blatant copy.

maul_inc
04-18-2010, 05:33 AM
I agree, they have taken many gameplay elements from GOW. In particular when jumping and wielding your weapon, you seem to hover in the air. And the ability to jump and smash to the floor and kill foes in close radius is a blatant copy.

Oh my God! So GOW is original??? Let me tell you something, that type of game has been done to death thousands of times, Hell, I was playing games like that in the early 90's.

I think it's Amazing how little certain genres in gaming have evolved for the last 20 years! The only really big difference is the graphics and sound effects... And that is really just shallow differences as "GFX does not a great game make", great gameplay is what makes people comming back years after the release date...

Drowsy
04-18-2010, 07:38 AM
small update; After spending 6 hours more or less taking down that destroyer i uninstalled and 'shelved' the game ;/ Which is really to bad as up untill that point i was having a blast. Maybe steam will release a fix for it one day, ill definitly continue then.

trusteft
04-18-2010, 10:18 AM
I hope the problem is just with you. I am fighting the woman in red now. Zero crashes or any other issue so far.
It's possible you had a bad installation or that some other software or hardware is causing the issues.

swaaye
04-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Don't bother if you've got anything less than a GTX 275 (or whatever the equivalent ATI card is) and a higher end Core 2 Duo/Quad at minimum.

I'm playing it at 1360x768 with 16X MSAA on my big TV thru my old and jaded 8800GTX. :D Runs quite nicely.

The lack of config options is somewhat disappointing, but I'm playing with a 360 PC gamepad and it works perfectly. The game isn't all that great, but it's ok and for $15 I'm happy cuz I'm a long time Star Wars fan.

It actually reminds me of a lot of some of the old SW games, including Shadows of the Empire, the SNES games and Jedi Academy....

andy4theherd
04-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the reviews in this thread! I was very hesitant about this game based on the 61/100 Meta score. I am a Star Wars fan. I have read and own around 20 of the books. I have a 360 gamepad, i7 920, and 9800 GT so I should be good to go!

Thanks again to those of you that took the time to write a review!

i_2_i
04-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reviews in this thread! I was very hesitant about this game based on the 61/100 Meta score. I am a Star Wars fan. I have read and own around 20 of the books. I have a 360 gamepad, i7 920, and 9800 GT so I should be good to go!

Thanks again to those of you that took the time to write a review!

if you r a starwars fan you got to get it for the story. sure it has it's quirks it's a console port, but the eye candy can be stunning... and it's only $15...

RyuGuitarFreak
04-19-2010, 10:14 AM
I have a quad core, 4gigs of RAM but a Geforce 9600GT

Would I be able to run it fine?

That's my only concern about it. I played the demo of the PS3 version at a friend's house and I had a lot of fun.

Red Exodus
04-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I think when you compare what else you can do with $15 it's a fair deal. The star destroyer and emperor made me rage a little bit.

kalirion
04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
I have a quad core, 4gigs of RAM but a Geforce 9600GT

See swaaye's post. If an 8800GTX can run it at 720p with 16xAA, a 9600GT should have no trouble running it at the same res with 4xAA (or higher res with no AA.)

swaaye
04-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Yup I think a 9600GT should be fine. Just leave the AA off and it should be good.

fgmy76
04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Don't buy this crap! This is an absolutely horrendous console port. It's just wasted money, bandwidth, and HDD space! It turns out, more often than not, it cannot save for crying out loud. Aspyr (developer) states that you have to _remove_ your firewall before reinstalling the game to fix the save problem... I would laugh if I wouldn't be so pissed off! Even for half price it does not worth it.

Foojo
04-19-2010, 06:21 PM
I looked at some gameplay vids on youtube and decided to buy it based off that. Looks fun enough for $15 to me. Hopefully the UI and bugs don't get me too much.

andy4theherd
04-19-2010, 08:46 PM
are you guys that are talking about adjusting AA using a profile in your video card settings? I can't find a way to adjust anything in the game options.

SharpeXB
04-24-2010, 05:48 AM
yea, this is an excellent game. Even if it's a direct port of the console version, that game was magnificent as well.

Vire
09-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Yes and no.

Yes, because it's a fun action platformer in the style of Devil May Cry or God of War. Not as good or as polished as those games, but still entertaining and worth it if you're Star Wars fan.

No, in that you better have a beefy PC to run it. Don't bother if you've got anything less than a GTX 275 (or whatever the equivalent ATI card is) and a higher end Core 2 Duo/Quad at minimum.

Sorry but that is laughable advice. I am running it on a Nvidia 8800GT, without any lag at all on 1920/1080 res. You probably wouldn't want to go much below that, though.

As for whether it's worth it... it depends. The game is the crappiest console port I have ever seen, as the size testifies to (as well as the lack of ingame menu, I'm still not even sure how to exit the game...)

But, the force powers are moderately fun. I really enjoy the physics; particularly seeing doors and other stuff bend/curve from force, which is from either Euphoria or the other thing they have going... either way that is done really well.

Steve8867
09-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Many of us foolish trusting types now have massive buyers remorse!

I myself have NEVER been able to get this game running at all!!

Steam keeps releasing games that are very flawed!

And support is a joke!

JamieKirby1981
10-22-2010, 05:14 PM
You can't rely on other peoples' input, everyones' taste is different, i for one think its worth it with 0% off, the game rocks, but i am sure there are some that think its not even worth getting, even if its free.