PDA

View Full Version : Since patch, game is unavailable

LOC
04-15-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't know if the game actually patched, or it's just stuck in some sadistic loop for me.

But the game will not update or download at all now (if I delete the content (and folders) and if I try to launch the game Steam says it's unavailable.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm on the UI Beta btw if that means anything....

Sherif
04-16-2010, 03:18 AM
I don't know if the game actually patched, or it's just stuck in some sadistic loop for me.

But the game will not update or download at all now (if I delete the content (and folders) and if I try to launch the game Steam says it's unavailable.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm on the UI Beta btw if that means anything....

I'm having this problem too :( It seems to have worked for the majority of people in the office but it broke with 2 of us...as soon as I figure out a fix I'll let you know!

Sherif
04-16-2010, 04:41 AM
OK I found a fix. Basically somehow something seems to have locked some of the data files so Steam is having trouble updating the game.

To fix this I uninstalled Plain Sight (by right clicking on the game in steam and deleting local content). I checked to see if the game was delete properly in control panel and uninstalling the game in add/remove programs. I then went to manually delete all files in the "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\plain sight" directory (you may have steam installed somewhere else).

I couldn't delete some of the files so I had to download a program called unlocker (http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html). If you use this program unlocker (there are other ways to forcefully remove files in windows) go to the Plain Sight directory, right click on the remaining directories and click unlocker. Unlocker will then pop up and may say something has a lock on the files (in which case you can remove the lock and delete the file) or it may say No locking found and ask you what you want to do with the the object. Select delete from the box (currently it's set to "No action" and click OK. This will delete all game files.

Once that is done it's probably best to quit steam, delete ClientRegistry.blob in the steam.exe directory (on my system it's in "C:\Program Files\Steam") and then restart steam. You should then be able to reinstall Plain Sight up to the latest patch no problem.

LOC
04-16-2010, 07:59 AM
I can't use Unlocker since I'm on Vista 64 (unless you know of a way to get it to work?) but I am using a 64-bit compatable unlocking program but it's not working for me anyways. It still leaves over the empty Plain Sight folder (with a texture folder inside that's also empty and some random files that are zero-byte) and will not delete all the way.

Sherif
04-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I can't use Unlocker since I'm on Vista 64 (unless you know of a way to get it to work?) but I am using a 64-bit compatable unlocking program but it's not working for me anyways. It still leaves over the empty Plain Sight folder (with a texture folder inside that's also empty and some random files that are zero-byte) and will not delete all the way.

You should be able to forcefully remove the files in a cmd window. You will probably have to do something similar to this http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/778/access-denied-how-to-delete-protected-or-spyware-files/

The main bit is this:

6. I’m not going to try to teach DOS here, but the command to delete a file is the following:
del \folder\file.exe

7. If you still can’t delete it, you can clear the attributes of the file. If you need details on this, you can read more about it here. The dos command for this is the following:
attrib -r -s -h filename

After doing this you will still need to delete the file with one of the methods described above.

I really hope this helps! Removing the files is how I fixed this problem so that is what you need to do!

Sherif
04-16-2010, 08:48 AM
This may be a permissions issue rather than a file locked. You could try changing the permissions of the files before deleting them...I'm trying to test this just now.

Sherif
04-16-2010, 09:42 AM
So looking into this a bit more it seems that steam has changed the permission of some files and directories. I haven't found a way to unlock these permissions manually yet. Unlocker did the trick for me but as you're using vista 64x I don't really know what other program to suggest. Process Explorer is something you could check out to find what has locked the file (and hopefully remove that lock). http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

I hear this is a problem with using the new steam Beta - are you using steam Beta?

LOC
04-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Yes I'm using the Steam beta. I may go back to the old client to fix the issue if that's the case then go back :|

LOC
04-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Well after trying everything under the sun, a friend suggested using Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to unlock/whatever the files or folders that are screwing things up.

While you cannot do an entire folder this way, I was able to go folder to folder and delete them this way manually. And now, finally re-download the game and can play again, YAY.

Sherif
04-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Well after trying everything under the sun, a friend suggested using Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware to unlock/whatever the files or folders that are screwing things up.

While you cannot do an entire folder this way, I was able to go folder to folder and delete them this way manually. And now, finally re-download the game and can play again, YAY.

Thanks for posting your solution! I'm glad you managed to figure it out :)