PDA

View Full Version : Being elite SUCKS

nirgoren
04-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Once you reach elite rank you start with all the power-ups maxed out... and all the feeling of getting stronger as you pick up power-ups disapears...
Can we please have a way of disabling it? the game is now a lot less fun and challenging then before :(

Jetlaw
04-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Know the special difficulty that unlocks when you reach Elite rank?

Try it and you'll understand why the Elite perk is like it is >.<

nirgoren
04-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Know the special difficulty that unlocks when you reach Elite rank?

Try it and you'll understand why the Elite perk is like it is >.<
I don't care how hard that is, the point is that you don't start weak then gaining more power which was pretty fun to do instead of just firing ultra strong beam right from the beginning.

Cryaotic
04-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I would love a way to be able to reset your rank as well. I can understand the feel of not being able to rank up anymore.

I don't know why, but ranking up is just really fun to me.

Maybe, just as a side-thought, having it so you rank up uniquely with each difficulty? You can rank from the first to last rank with Easy-mode, but if you go into Normal-mode you start at rank one again, though if you went to Easy-mode again you'd still have your rank you had there.

It makes sense in my head at least.

Painseeker
04-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Ranking up is really fun, you're not alone. I think either more ranks should be added OR there should be a system that lets you restart from lv 1 but gives you a bonus for every time you do it, like an achievement or something (Like the MW2 prestige system perhaps except it gets harder to level up every time you do it.)

It would really add to the replayability.

nirgoren
04-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Ok I tried that elite difficulty, I now see why it is necessary there... but I still think it should be disabled with the other difficulties.

Starg
04-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Ok I tried that elite difficulty, I now see why it is necessary there... but I still think it should be disabled with the other difficulties.

I think it's a fair point you make. I'll have a think about it. Maybe an option of an extra bomb, life or max weapons when you start? (If you're Elite)

Cheers,
Steve

Jetlaw
04-16-2010, 02:38 PM
It would be great if each perk could be toggled on or off via an option menu of some kind.

That way you can pick and play with your favourite set of perks - Like keeping Survivor and Dare Devil multiplier bonuses while dropping additional bombs, lives, powerups etc.

That would probably be the most versatile way of handling things. If people want to disable perks for personal challenges or gameplay, they can. If people then want to re-enable them for competitive high-score farming, they can do so easily too.

Starg
04-16-2010, 02:44 PM
It would be great if each perk could be toggled on or off via an option menu of some kind.

That way you can pick and play with your favourite set of perks - Like keeping Survivor and Dare Devil multiplier bonuses while dropping additional bombs, lives, powerups etc.

That would probably be the most versatile way of handling things. If people want to disable perks for personal challenges or gameplay, they can. If people then want to re-enable them for competitive high-score farming, they can do so easily too.

Yeah - I like it.

nirgoren
04-16-2010, 02:44 PM

+1
Oh and thanks for replaying starg!

FrontlinerDelta
04-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Yes, this is a must. I have already ranked up to elite and I miss how the game started off black and white and you were really weak. Then slowly the volume gets louder and you get more lasers. Made the game better imo.

So yeah either a list to enable/disable certain perks or a prestige system where we can reset to rank one.

BlueCremeSoda
04-17-2010, 08:04 PM
I think it's a fair point you make. I'll have a think about it. Maybe an option of an extra bomb, life or max weapons when you start? (If you're Elite)

Cheers,
Steve

This would be best, imo. I don't want it disabled in every other mode, but I'd like OPTIONS. Some songs are incredibly hard without getting powerups near the beginning, others aren't.

I'm working my way up to elite now and got the half way achievement so I'll try it soon. It looks fun to me. I'm also really looking forward to the insane difficulty.

Astrobia
04-17-2010, 08:10 PM
A compilation of the bonus choice and the rank bonus disabling might be best. I'd like to see an option for survival mode to set your rank back to nothing at the start and quickly advance through the ranks you've previously attained the longer you survive (Like a rank up along with its respective bonus for every 30 seconds or every minute you survive up to the maximum rank you've achieved).

Jetlaw
04-17-2010, 08:13 PM
To put things into perspective, I originally levelled in Survival Mode with the default Beat Hazard album and got around 20-ish minutes on my best attempt after 2 game hours. Then I played 5 hours of Insane-difficulty tracks over the past day or two.

Go back to Survival Mode, which I believe is Hardcore difficulty, and (at the time of typing) get 4th best time of 41:44 and 2nd best score of 51-million plus on my first try.

Survival Mode actually felt really, really relaxing compared to normal songs on Insane. Man, I wish there was an insane Survival Mode. I struggle on 4-minute Insane songs without ending up a smouldering wreck after the 2nd minute.

bFusion
04-17-2010, 08:21 PM
To put things into perspective, I originally levelled in Survival Mode with the default Beat Hazard album and got around 20-ish minutes on my best attempt after 2 game hours. Then I played 5 hours of Insane-difficulty tracks over the past day or two.

Go back to Survival Mode, which I believe is Hardcore difficulty, and (at the time of typing) get 4th best time of 41:44 and 2nd best score of 51-million plus on my first try.

Survival Mode actually felt really, really relaxing compared to normal songs on Insane. Man, I wish there was an insane Survival Mode. I struggle on 4-minute Insane songs without ending up a smouldering wreck after the 2nd minute.

Man, how much caffeine are you injecting right into your brain? I'm still a noob at this game I guess but survival is just brutal for me. I think I need louder songs.

Jetlaw
04-17-2010, 08:29 PM
It's the exact opposite of caffiene injection. Right now it's 4:27am in the UK so I was in a total "I'm just going to play Survival Mode before I head off to snooze" mindset.

It was my first jump back to survival mode with the default album after playing 4-8 minute insane songs and while it wasn't easy, it felt relaxing and I'm all de-stressed now.

xenton
04-17-2010, 10:03 PM
if you don't like it just kill yourself at the start, consider it a -1 life handicap.

nirgoren
04-17-2010, 10:08 PM
if you don't like it just kill yourself at the start, consider it a -1 life handicap.That's not a solution. It's like not adding a restart bottom because you can quit and enter the song again through the menu...

BlueCremeSoda
04-17-2010, 10:13 PM
That's not a solution. It's like not adding a restart bottom because you can quit and enter the song again through the menu...

It's a work around you have for now. Go nuts with it.

I'm personally loving elite at start.

xenton
04-17-2010, 10:20 PM
That's not a solution. It's like not adding a restart bottom because you can quit and enter the song again through the menu...

look, if you can't complete the song without the extra life then you would want the beat hazard anyway.

Suomis
04-18-2010, 12:04 AM
I really like Starg, he seems active :) Most indie devs start active on here, SPUF, too, but then somehow fade away. I hope Starg stays with us :) Some good indie devs are Nation Red and Playbrains. They have been here from the start to the end.

And yes, please add some kind of toggle :)

FrontlinerDelta
04-18-2010, 12:39 AM
There's no reason not to add this as those who like it as is, well they can keep it and this will let the rest of us who want to hunt for powerups have a chance for what we want as well, everybody wins.