PDA

View Full Version : Crash before loading.

plauge_rat
04-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Hello. I just purchased SW TFU yesterday, and when I click to run the game it instantly gives me this message:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed has stopped working. ect.

The game doesn't even try to load, and I don't even get to the menu. It automatically boots me out. Some people are having similar problems but it seems they at least get to the loading screen whereas mine just kicks me instantly.

Here are my specs:
CPU: Intel Core Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
Memory: 4gigs
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT

I have updated my Graphics drivers as well as my net framework (Someone said that should help) but so far I still get shut down before the game even starts.

fimbultrollet
04-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Same problem here

Urb4n Z0mb13
04-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Same is happening to me. Pretty annoying considering I just spent the whole day downloading it. 30 gigs is ridiculous.

Windows 7 64-bit
i7 920 2.6 ghz
6GB Ram
GTX 285 1gb

notaboyscout
04-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Same issue here, crash to desktop.

Win XP Home, SP3
Geforce 8800 GT
2 GB memory
Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00 GHz

i_2_i
04-17-2010, 03:52 PM
can u post details. with them someone maybe able to help u.

look in windows event log under applications and under system, see if the game creates anykind of log file.

also visit game website, check their forums, google.

good luck

notaboyscout
04-17-2010, 06:16 PM
The weird thing is, it doesn't always crash, either. This problem seems to be alternate with the elusively corrupted save, which means only being able to start the game at the beginning each time.

Under C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles

I find nothing.

solheim93
04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
i hav the same problem i think, i try tostart a new save, and it crashes, but when i try the hoth lvl it runs.
my laptop: intel centrino duo or only centrino. i got a geforce 8600m card and i have vista on mye laptop.
so do my pc suck or is it the game's foult?

fgmy76
04-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Arrgh! It started once for me, stated it cannot save, then let me play it a while. I quit to look for a fix for the no save game issue, I found this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14512221&postcount=10

I of course wont remove my antivirus, nor my firewall, as suggested in the fix, but no problemo, cause since then it would not even start, crashes every time at the end of the (unskippable) logo cinematic. What a letdown.

kidvid
04-20-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm having the exact same issues. I click on the game, it starts to load and then it just crashes. This is the only STEAM game on my PC that has a problem. Borderlands, Total War Napoleon, Dragon Age, The Witcher and others work perfectly.

My setup: Windows 7 64 bit. Quad core. 8 gigs ram. Some EVGA motherboard with the latest BIOS and latest motherboard drivers, including Realtek. Nvidia GeForce 285. New install of windows 7 with all updates. Re-installed .NET (Dragon Age won't run without a functioning install of .NET so I know it's good). Memory test passes. Only the Microsoft Windows firewall is active.

What's the deal with this game?

Aros
04-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi I have the same problem...

I was even able to start the game with compatibility mode(before I knew it was actually steam that was switched into CM, so I turned it off again), but with full of artifacts - I wasn't even able to see my character. I was able to get in menu anyway, but after installing latest WHQL driver I'm stuck on loading screen, even though that after a while the video trailer starts playing. Then it returns back to loading screen.

Win7 64bit
8800GTS 320MB
Phenom X3 720
4GB RAM

Aros
05-03-2010, 08:59 AM
So has anyone been able to solve the problem? I still can't play the game.

falcon64z8
07-22-2010, 05:35 PM
I have the same problem here as well. As soon as I click play on the launcher the game automatically crash.

My specs:
core i7 950
9gig DDR3 ram
ati 4650 1gig DDR2

I have the latest drivers for windows and my graphics card.

Edit:

I have fixed my issue with the game launch crashing. I ran the resolution of the game in 720p when my monitor desktop resolution was 1080p. So I suggest people run this game at the resolution of you desktop and see if it works, because mine did.

xytan4
08-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Is there no fix for this? Very annoying to have spent all last night and today downloading this game and the damn thing won't even run.

Sweetz
08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
The 59Hz refresh rate issue may be the source of the problem for some of you.

The issue is that some displays identify their refresh rate to windows as 59Hz instead of 60Hz. The Force Unleashed is unfortunately hard coded to run a 60Hz refresh when initializing it's render window - if it can't get 60Hz, the game crashes as a result.

Many LCDs support different refresh rates at different resolution, which is why selecting a lower resolution can work.

xytan4
08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
*smashes head into keyboard* Why won't it work?! I've tried every resolution and every refresh rate and it just won't start! The same damn 'stopped working error' every time! Please make a patch to fix this! :o

xytan4
08-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Well I'll be... It works. A simple reinstall and now it's working perfectly. I guess some thing got corrupted the first time it was installing.

soXXeth
09-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Well I'll be... It works. A simple reinstall and now it's working perfectly. I guess some thing got corrupted the first time it was installing.

"Reinstall the game"..
In this case you want to say us, we have to download the whole package of sh*t again?! :eek:

Seranox
09-19-2010, 05:05 AM
Reinstalling didn't work for me...still getting the same stuff happening. It's crashing right after the "preparing to launch" window disappears. So yeah...reinstalling might not work like for me lol.

Bazz
09-19-2010, 05:33 AM
Reinstalling didn't work for me...still getting the same stuff happening. It's crashing right after the "preparing to launch" window disappears. So yeah...reinstalling might not work like for me lol.

same ;/

JonesR
10-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Had the same problem and tried just about everything. Finally got it to work.

On my Vista machine I uninstalled then reinstalled the .NET Framework 3.5 and the program works now. Steam has a way on reinstalling .NET every time you launch any downloaded game for the first time and it may be corrupted.

wardywolf
12-17-2011, 08:47 PM
I have the same problem here as well. As soon as I click play on the launcher the game automatically crash.

My specs:
core i7 950
9gig DDR3 ram
ati 4650 1gig DDR2

I have the latest drivers for windows and my graphics card.

Edit:

I have fixed my issue with the game launch crashing. I ran the resolution of the game in 720p when my monitor desktop resolution was 1080p. So I suggest people run this game at the resolution of you desktop and see if it works, because mine did.

Thanks!! This worked for me! Also, I had 2 monitors plugged in, and people have been saying that having duel monitors set up can crash the game, so i took one out. Dunno if this helped in getting the game to work, but I took it out prior to changing the resolution. Hope this helps.

Top Floor
08-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks!! This worked for me! Also, I had 2 monitors plugged in, and people have been saying that having duel monitors set up can crash the game, so i took one out. Dunno if this helped in getting the game to work, but I took it out prior to changing the resolution. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Yes it does help. :) After I turned off my second monitor it stopped crashing on me. Hopefully this works for everyone else having this problem.

Dopplest
08-10-2012, 06:09 PM
This game is the consoleyest of ports. Mine was crashing to desktop immediately on Windows 7 64bit on starting from Steam. I changed the primary of my dual monitors' refresh rate to 60hz. It still crashed.

Then, I started it from SWTFU2.exe with "Disable desktop composition" enabled in Properties, and it ran successfully to the main menu.

JediOne605
08-26-2012, 08:16 PM
This game is the consoleyest of ports. Mine was crashing to desktop immediately on Windows 7 64bit on starting from Steam. I changed the primary of my dual monitors' refresh rate to 60hz. It still crashed.

Then, I started it from SWTFU2.exe with "Disable desktop composition" enabled in Properties, and it ran successfully to the main menu.

this fix worked for me, i have a dual monitor setup also