PDA

View Full Version : Despite Update 1.2, MP3 Crashing Persists

Philosophadam
04-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi Steve,

I have successfully downloaded and installed Update 1.2, but yet, the game continues to crash whenever I play an MP3 file. Moreover, beyond crashing when I play the songs, the game crashes even when it just previews an MP3 file in the background when I am selecting songs in my folders.

This is a serious problem; during the frequent crashes, my screen goes black, and whatever song was playing stutters indefinitely, like a broken record caught on a single note, continuing in this way until I press the Power button on my PC. Ctrl+Alt+Delete fails to get anything to appear on the black screen, nor does it let me access Task Manager. Thus, turning off the computer is the only option. I have many Steam games and all others run perfectly and without problems; the issue is localized to Beat Hazard.

With this problem, the game remains unplayable, please fix this ASAP.

Sincerely,
Adam

Philosophadam
04-17-2010, 02:45 PM
If relevant, here are my system specs:

Bios: Phoenix - AwardBios 6.00 PG
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.4 GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 4.094 GB RAM
DirectX: 11
Video Card: ASUS EAH4850 series

Starg
04-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi Adam,
Does the happen with all your files?
Does it happen with the songs that come with the game?
What OS are you running?
And what is your PC spec?

Sorry about the crash.
Cheers,
Steve

Philosophadam
04-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi Adam,
Does the happen with all your files?
Does it happen with the songs that come with the game?
What OS are you running?
And what is your PC spec?

Sorry about the crash.
Cheers,
Steve

The crashing does not happen with the songs that come with the game; they all run perfectly.

It only happens with the MP3s on my computer. These come from various sources: some are ripped from CDs I own, some are purchased MP3s, some are MP3s I have exported myself from Fruity Loops. All suffer form the same crashing problem. I tried a .wav file and it ran without problem. The issue seems to be localized to MP3 files.

Unless my above post did not go through, my system specs are as follows:

Bios: Phoenix - AwardBios 6.00 PG
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.4 GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 4.094 GB RAM
DirectX: 11
Video Card: ASUS EAH4850 series

Thanks for taking the time to look into the issue!
Adam

Starg
04-17-2010, 03:03 PM
oh.. so only mp3 crash.
That's very odd. But it helps.
Can you mail me one of the mp3s? I suspect it will work for me, but lets eliminate the easy stuff first.

Email: steve at coldbeamgames dot com

Cheers,
Steve

Philosophadam
04-17-2010, 03:15 PM
oh.. so only mp3 crash.
That's very odd. But it helps.
Can you mail me one of the mp3s? I suspect it will work for me, but lets eliminate the easy stuff first.

Email: steve at coldbeamgames dot com

Cheers,
Steve

File sent!

Let me know if you would like more examples of songs that have crashed the game on my PC.

Vanth
04-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm going to copy paste this response I placed in a different thread because I'm curious to see if this is what's causing the problem since something similar happened to me.

--

I figured I would post here since I had a strange problem with certain songs crashing that I was able to resolve, maybe it will work for you guys too.

The main question is do you have anything else OTHER than music in the folder you're trying to load the song from? There was a particular group of songs I couldn't play since they would crash the game any time I used them, but once I put them into an isolated folder everything worked perfectly fine (there was a bunch of random crap in the place they were before).

Not saying this is a complete fix, but I imagine some of the issues people are having would be resolved by this method.

Philosophadam
04-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Vanth. Unfortunately, this idea didn't resolve my issue. The songs I mentioned as crashing the game before were selected from folders that contained nothing but music files.

leveller
04-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but just bought the game and loaded up my first MP3 which is Agnelli & Nelson - El Nino (Matt Darey), 8 mins 37 secs, 13.7MB ... and the game crashed to desktop before I got a chance to fire one bullet! :(

Any ideas guys?

Th3Laugh1ngMan
04-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Chipping in to say I've got this exact error. Loads through my songs really slowly, then I'll click one and it'll go "3, 2, 1, GO!" then crash.
Supplied MP3s work fine.

Edit: Only happens with certain songs. Benny Benassi - Light crashes, whereas everything else in that folder is dandy.

Bloody nice game, IMO. Could do with the song being amp'd a bit and not being towards the end before you can enjoy it properly, but it's dead fun.

Akiha
04-18-2010, 04:50 AM
I have a song that works just fine, (MP3 CBR, done with LAME3.97b), but when I re-encode it to MP3 VBR V2, with LAME3.98r, it just crashes the game. Noticed this as all of my old MP3s work just fine, but the my newer ones just simply crash the game.

However MP3 CBR with LAME3.98r crashes all the same.. Tried with Lame 4.0 alpha 14, crash. Guess I'll try finding 3.97b or earlier version of it.

Dunno, I don't know that much about the codec to understand why'd it not work. All mp3 players play it just fine.

e: Re-encoded the file with LAME 3.96.1, and it works with the game. Although, if the file is ABR instead of CBR, it'll crash.