PDA

View Full Version : Things you do to cause the game to crash on LOAD or fast transport

DaleFranklin
04-17-2010, 04:48 PM
With all the loot you collect inside an oblivion port, you must haul it outside the portal since once you remove the sigil stone, the portal is closed --- with all the loot inside.

To save the loot, the player exits the portal and dumps the loot on the ground or transfers it into the dead body of some Daedra corpse or nearby animal.

This is the problem. I have verified it and can recreate the problem 100%. If you have too much loot outside – you can’t exit (game crashes) if you try to exit by normal means or removing the sigil stone, the game tries to render these items and crashes or freezes.

Therefore you MUST stash your loot in a PERMANENT fixed receptacle like a chest or barrel. If you leave enough “dumped” stuff on the ground, your game will crash more frequently or 100% of the time.

DaleFranklin
04-25-2010, 02:54 PM
This is an ADDENDUM to the above (how to work around crashes).

You’re probably reading this thread because of your frustration with endless crashing & freezing. I SHOULD have learned my lesson when I played Fallout-3 which is made by the same company, Bethesda. That game was bugsy as an ant hill like this one. Interesting: the game play is as GOOD as the mechanics are BAD. But this thread is not to bi*ch about how much we would all like to hack the developers to bits and hang their body parts on meat hooks (to put it mildly). This is to work around the bugs their [non existent] QA failed to test. Here we go:

Sometimes the area being loaded is TOO complex to render. This occurs when MULTIPLE oblivion gates are in the same rendering. This happened around Chorrol. The only way I could regain control was approach from about 8 different directions to one of the oblivion gates. I was finally successful coming in from the far WEST to the west oblivion gate of Chorrol. Once that was closed, I could continue approaching from the west to the SOUTH oblivion gate of Chorrol. Once that was closed, there was no more freezes anywhere around Chorrol.

Remember, the DIRECTION you approach the oblivion gate is what’s important. Forget about flying (TCL) in from the top or coming in underground – that doesn’t work. Close those gates and you’ll have less crashes.

Also try changing the time of day and change the weather as RAIN adds complexity to rendering. Hit your TILDE key and key in 38EEE then enter, then TILDE. That clears up the weather. In Fallout-3, I had to AVOID looking at water, especially the REFLECTION on the water (yes, I tried all the water-rendering options without avail). The solution was to walk backward & sideways to avoid looking 2 of the water ponds that caused F3 to crash.

Keep in mind, these BOZOS used much of the same code to in Oblivion to write F3. “To err is human” as the saying goes, but their “don’t give a s**t” attitude to fixing the problem is the issue. Okay Bethesda, I can spend my game $$$ elsewhere.

BTY- if you’re new to the game, wait until you are level-17 before attempting to close an Oblivion gate as your acquired Sigil stones become more powerful. Do a SAVE just before you remove the sigil stone from the pedestal, You get the message “Transcendent Sigil Stone Added” at that moment, check your inventory to see what “powers” the Sigil stone has & if you don’t like it, then reload and try again. I tried about 12 times until I got the powers I want. I’d suggest 25 points FIRE or SHOCK to enchant your bow or sword. After that, I then choose FEATHER 125 pts. Enchant enough of your 1-pound items and you can carry a TON of stuff.

RayeGunn
09-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Sometimes the area being loaded is TOO complex to render. This occurs when MULTIPLE oblivion gates are in the same rendering. This happened around Chorrol. The only way I could regain control was approach from about 8 different directions to one of the oblivion gates. I was finally successful coming in from the far WEST to the west oblivion gate of Chorrol. Once that was closed, I could continue approaching from the west to the SOUTH oblivion gate of Chorrol. Once that was closed, there was no more freezes anywhere around Chorrol.

Remember, the DIRECTION you approach the oblivion gate is what’s important. Forget about flying (TCL) in from the top or coming in underground – that doesn’t work. Close those gates and you’ll have less crashes.

Also try changing the time of day and change the weather as RAIN adds complexity to rendering. Hit your TILDE key and key in 38EEE then enter, then TILDE. That clears up the weather. In Fallout-3, I had to AVOID looking at water, especially the REFLECTION on the water (yes, I tried all the water-rendering options without avail). The solution was to walk backward & sideways to avoid looking 2 of the water ponds that caused F3 to crash.

Keep in mind, these BOZOS used much of the same code to in Oblivion to write F3. “To err is human” as the saying goes, but their “don’t give a s**t” attitude to fixing the problem is the issue. Okay Bethesda, I can spend my game $$$ elsewhere.

BTY- if you’re new to the game, wait until you are level-17 before attempting to close an Oblivion gate as your acquired Sigil stones become more powerful. Do a SAVE just before you remove the sigil stone from the pedestal, You get the message “Transcendent Sigil Stone Added” at that moment, check your inventory to see what “powers” the Sigil stone has & if you don’t like it, then reload and try again. I tried about 12 times until I got the powers I want. I’d suggest 25 points FIRE or SHOCK to enchant your bow or sword. After that, I then choose FEATHER 125 pts. Enchant enough of your 1-pound items and you can carry a TON of stuff.

Thanks for this, I was having a crash upon nearing Chorrol as well, will try fast traveling to Battlehorn and approaching from the other side, as you said. I'll also disable some mods that add extra NPC's (Mart's Mosnter Mod and Crowded Roads)

I will say though, I am a bit surprised, I was able to run Fallout 3 at max settings with no issue, and I've played through Oblivion twice before without this issue at Chorrol (though I do realize the gate placement for the non-city gates is random, I guess I got unlucky with gate placement this time around)

btw. there is a mod called 'Quest Award Leveller' that will level up sigil stones (and other equipment that scales up as you level) as you do, no need to wait, and you can get all those fire/ice salts and whatnot that are found on the lower leveled Daedra, which can be quite handy with potions, Ice Salts espeically, I've found.

RayeGunn
09-10-2010, 04:27 PM
well, tried that today, and it was a no go. Between Chorrol and Battlehorn there was actually only one Oblivion Gate, which I closed, and the game still crashed if i got too close to Chorrol's front gate or tried to fast-travel to the stables. I could fast-travel inside the city's gates just fine. circled Chorrol looking for more, but there was only the quest related one near the city gate. curious, i tried fast-traveling to Skingrad's stables, since I knew that gate was BEHIND the city, no where near the stables. Game crashed, just like with Chorrol. curious. I began disabling mods in groups (I have too many to attempt going at them one at a time) the batch of disabled mods that fixed the fast-traveling and approaching Chorrol crash was: All Natural, Immersive Interiors, Crafting Skill Engine (it's called like Retro's Fletching or something on the site, it's for making arrows) Farm Animals of Cyrodiil, Deadly Reflex and Visually Realistic Lava. I'll have to test a bit more and see which of these was the culprit. Farm Animals of Cyrodiil adds animals to stables to that makes it suspect since the fast traveling problems have been to stables only, though this issue never cropped up until the 'Allies for Bruma' quest became active. On the other hand, All Natural is the 'biggest' of the mods there, and could be tied to the Oblivion Sky, since it affects weather (though the gate out in the wilderness away from the stables was fine to approach with that mod enabled). but you never know, really. I'll re-activate them to test further, but I'm gonna close Chorrol's Oblivion gate first

RayeGunn
09-11-2010, 12:42 AM
turns out, it's the stupid pigs and cows in the Farm Animals mod, even after the gate is closed, of all things :p oh well, at least all it added was a bit of immersion

razlebol
07-21-2011, 09:23 PM
turns out, it's the stupid pigs and cows in the Farm Animals mod, even after the gate is closed, of all things :p oh well, at least all it added was a bit of immersion

That actually worked for me too. Thanks!