PDA

View Full Version : A Last-Minute Review

ErichK
04-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Given the amount of input there has been by people who have played it, failed it, or loved it, I figured it's best to write an efficient and neutral review of this game, which I hope will find any last-minute deal-hunters well.

To begin with, there is no in-between with this game; no limbo: You will either love it or you will hate it. The crowd that will love it is anyone who enjoyed the Star Wars movies. You don't have to have been the stay-at-home nerd who collects action figures and dresses up as Princess Lea or Darth Vader in your spare time to enjoy this game - you just have to enjoy the Star Wars universe. If you don't, then this game is most likely, well, most definitely, not for you, and you will probably just want to skip this post and look for another weekend deal.

With that being out of the way, here's the best I can muster:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed offers a lot in terms of graphics and gameplay. The game is short, maxing at about 10 hours total (if you take your time with it), so even if you want to just play it in one sitting, it's well worth the bargain price tag. The graphics are pretty darn good, and I found myself enjoying the scenery and environment while I wasn't fighting enemies. The world around you comes to life, with elements shattering as they really would in the real world; glass and wood mainly. While it's not much, it does add some pretty neat realism to the game, and it's always fun to just observe.

The combat mechanics will take a bit of getting used to, and you will have to accept that the lightsaber doesn't do one-slash kills on enemies besides normal troops. You'll find yourself confronting certain enemies that never made appearances in the Star Wars films, but might have in other lore such as comics or cartoons. Being an average Star Wars fan and not a fanatic, I can't put any validity on that statement. That being said, there will be some extremely superpowered enemies that are extremely irritating to dispose of. However, the diversity of combo-moves and force-combo moves will keep you entertained while trying to hack them up into wamp-rat meat.

That being said as well, the combo moves are something that need to come with a printable cheat-sheet. Since the game is a console port, it's almost impossible to memorize all of the combos that you can do, especially being that they are upgraded and changed throughout the game. I'm not sure how many I've unlocked so far, but I still haven't made use of them all because I just simply can't remember them, and having to pause the game and go to the menu to look takes way too long.

The combat camera during regular gameplay is pretty good, and I didn't really find it much of a nuisance. However, given that it's a third-person game, I know there are some people that don't enjoy these sorts of games much just because of that one aspect. However, it makes perfect sense given the amount of enemies that can surround you at times, and is pretty useful when having to jump around the landscape.

Combat camera in boss-fights, however, is irritating as heck, and you will have to superglue your finger to the "target lock" key in order to insure that you actually hit your opponent. I've failed many a time at this because of the stupid fixed-camera. Thankfully, however, boss fights are relatively short and you can get on with the ♥♥♥-kicking soon thereafter.

Granted, the game is a console port, and a very lazy one at that. I wouldn't call it the worst I've seen, but I would call it pretty bad given that you can't use your mouse in the menus and that the game was, definitely, meant for consoles and was not adapted for PC users. Gameplay isn't too tough on the PC, but the menu screens are a pain to navigate with the arrow keys.

The story is sub-par, and the dialogue is definitely cheesy, given that the original voice actors for Lea and Darth Vader were not used, and you can tell that it's not them. However, the game makes up for it.

Regarding the size, I must have been having an "up" day, because it only took me about an hour to download the game at around 1.5mb/s on Steam. The size is ridiculous, but hey, it's cheap!

So, all-in-all, I'd give this game an 80/100. Considering it's only $15, I would buy this if you enjoy the Star Wars universe and love the idea of using the force. It's definitely intended for higher-end computers, of which I have, and I have no graphical lag on it at all.

As I said, if you don't like Star Wars much, don't buy this game. If you're the kind of person who owns the movies at home, then buy this. It's a steal at $15.

trusteft
04-19-2010, 03:40 AM
Well said, thanks.

lordroy33
08-07-2010, 03:23 AM
I agree, and would add, even if you are a Star Wars fan, don't buy this game at full price. I am, and I did, and I regret it.

-=R=-

AtoSniper
08-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Combat camera in boss-fights, however, is irritating as heck, and you will have to superglue your finger to the "target lock" key in order to insure that you actually hit your opponent. I've failed many a time at this because of the stupid fixed-camera. Thankfully, however, boss fights are relatively short and you can get on with the ♥♥♥-kicking soon thereafter.

Granted, the game is a console port, and a very lazy one at that. I wouldn't call it the worst I've seen, but I would call it pretty bad given that you can't use your mouse in the menus and that the game was, definitely, meant for consoles and was not adapted for PC users. Gameplay isn't too tough on the PC, but the menu screens are a pain to navigate with the arrow keys.

These two points require highlighting. The boss fights are RIDICULOUSLY frustrating because of the fixed camera. The gameplay goes from being entertaining (fighting/playing through the rest of the game) to short-bus ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ when fighting bosses. Boss fights in this game are NOT fun. If I could god mode them I would. Why they changed the gameplay just for boss fights is beyond me. I guess it's for the stupid quicktime events they put in the boss fights. This is something which isnt required either; I'll kill my bosses without quicktime lame-o events, thanks very much.

And, yeah it's a pretty terrible port. If you dislike bad ports, I'd give this one a miss and watch the main bits on Youtube.

With a bit of work - proper porting, allowance for keyboard/mouse and no ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ camera locking during fights, and a bit more of an open world, this game would be very, very good.