PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion About the Crosshair

Racer Of All
04-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Sometimes, when I'm playing I ask myself "Where is the crosshair?" and then I look around and don't see it anywhere on the screen.

Now it's not that I'm always looking at the crosshair to see where I'm shooting, but I think it's subconscious that you see movement on the screen as you move your hand around and know that that is your crosshair.

Here's what I'm trying to say, here's what currently happens when you move the crosshair to one end of the screen (if you were to keep moving the mouse down it would be gone bye bye):
http://i.imgur.com/nOb3L.png

And here's what I think would fix it, make it so the crosshair can't pass the edges of the screen (aka, the max it would move would be where it's at in this screenshot):
http://i.imgur.com/gxgAj.jpg

Great game btw!

Syncourt
04-19-2010, 04:45 PM
I agree. At first I thought I was just losing track of it with all the visuals, but I came to realize that the crosshair can even completely vanish if you move it far enough to the right side of the screen.

I dont mind so much when I can see half of the crosshair around most of the other edges, but nothing at all just gets confusing.

Kyouto42
04-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Agreed, also it needs to lock to that monitor. I lose mine when it goes off into either side monitor (primary is middle). Then if i let go of fire and click again to fire.... it pops me out of the game lol....

Also, I think it'd be kinda cool to have like, a little ring of fire with a black void center for the cross-hair. That way it's always easier to be visible, and flows with the game better too.

Racer Of All
04-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Yeah I noticed that issue with two monitors too, a few games have that issue though so I just disable my second one when I start up one of those games, although it is kind of annoying to do.

Racer Of All
04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm going to go ahead and give this one bump, just in case there's a couple more people that agree with this and want it changed.

It got buried fast 0.0

Noah2315
04-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Sometimes, when I'm playing I ask myself "Where is the crosshair?" and then I look around and don't see it anywhere on the screen.

Now it's not that I'm always looking at the crosshair to see where I'm shooting, but I think it's subconscious that you see movement on the screen as you move your hand around and know that that is your crosshair.

Here's what I'm trying to say, here's what currently happens when you move the crosshair to one end of the screen (if you were to keep moving the mouse down it would be gone bye bye):
http://i.imgur.com/nOb3L.png

And here's what I think would fix it, make it so the crosshair can't pass the edges of the screen (aka, the max it would move would be where it's at in this screenshot):
http://i.imgur.com/gxgAj.jpg

Great game btw!

When I play this game I go into a different mode. It's true.
And I lose track of it all the time. Next thing I know, I'm getting pwned by lazorz and stuff. I wish it was more noticeable rather than what it is now.

kramit
04-20-2010, 04:50 PM
I would like to see a control scheme where there is no cross hair at all. The mouse controls the direction your ship is facing in the same way an analog stick would. There would have to be a bit of a margin of error so slight motions won't make you flip around when you don't want to, but I'm sure it could be balanced well.

Aside from losing the cross hair, sometimes I unintentionally fly past it and am suddenly shooting in the complete wrong direction. Other times I feel like it takes too much dragging to get it from one side of the screen to the other rapidly. Or you're trying to focus on your ship to keep from getting blown up by something little, but your cross hair is off on the other side of the screen and maybe not perfectly centered on your boss target so you're not even hitting it.

Racer Of All
04-20-2010, 04:55 PM
I would like to see a control scheme where there is no cross hair at all. The mouse controls the direction your ship is facing in the same way an analog stick would. There would have to be a bit of a margin of error so slight motions won't make you flip around when you don't want to, but I'm sure it could be balanced well.

Aside from losing the cross hair, sometimes I unintentionally fly past it and am suddenly shooting in the complete wrong direction. Other times I feel like it takes too much dragging to get it from one side of the screen to the other rapidly. Or you're trying to focus on your ship to keep from getting blown up by something little, but your cross hair is off on the other side of the screen and maybe not perfectly centered on your boss target so you're not even hitting it.

Yeah that's what I wanted to say, you put it perfectly :D

As for moving to the other side of the screen, maybe a sort of 'acceleration' feature that recharges overtime or you pick up drops for?

kramit
04-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Another alternative would be a laser drawn from your ship to the cross hairs. It would give you obvious indication of your firing direction, even if you lose your cross hairs.

Maybe you could provide a little upgrade scheme :) You get to choose 1 upgrade from a list or something. Laser targeting, speed boost, shield (you get to take a couple free hits without dying and losing your bonuses), "options" (the little dudes that fly next to your ship and help defend you)... Stuff like that. Maybe you could do a Gradius thing where powerups fill a bar that you can use to unlock new abilities or upgrades, including laser sights.

Noah2315
04-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Good idea

Suomis
04-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Ive died multiple times when the crosshair is hidden somewhere :D I request edges too.

dethzord
04-20-2010, 09:27 PM
My name is dethzord and I support this message.

I, too, lose the cross hair. For my game, it will only fall off the right or bottom, not the top and left.

KDR_11k
04-21-2010, 12:15 AM
I'd appreciate if we had an option to limit the range of movement for the crosshair to a circle around the ship.

Suomis
04-21-2010, 12:25 AM
KDR as long as its optional, its fine with me. I usually hate such circulation.

KDR_11k
04-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Should definitely be optional.

algenon_iii
04-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Being an old git and having spent too much time playing asteroids (and it's clones) I can't help but feel a control system like that would be better (for me at least).

Like others I often lose track of where the crosshairs are, esp. when there is a lot going-on on the screen (like when you fight two bosses).