PDA

View Full Version : SH5 vs SH3?

ErichK
04-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Hi folks.

Being an avid fan of Silent Hunter 3, I was pretty psyched when I found out that SH5 was coming out. However, the game received dastardly reviews by both critics and players, and I was wondering if anyone here who has played the game objectively can give me a hand on determining whether or not to buy this game.

Firstoff, I'm completely aware of the DRM, so please don't mention the fact that I have to be online to play it. I get it, and I don't need to hear about it all over again, thanks.

What's the comparison between SH5 and SH3? Has the game improved much? I know the graphics are far better, but what I'm most concerned about is whether or not the game plays like SH3, where you actually have to make tactical planning and decisions; rather, that the game runs like a submarine sim and not just some dumbed-down swim-and-torpedo game that lacks any thought.

Plus, I've heard the game is atrociously buggy. Can anyone confirm if the bugs have been fixed since release, or is it still pretty poorly handled?

Well, thanks for any replies!

xptical
04-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Give it a year and see how much support it gets. SH3 is very mature and very well supported by the community. SH4 is still a bit buggy, but Ubi abandoned it when they started work on SH5.

Give SH5 6 months to a year and see how many patches are released. See how many mods are released.

Sepulch
04-22-2010, 05:41 AM
While I'm about to succumb to my ever growing urge to play the game and hence buy it, I've been holding off due to the DRM. Having said that, I do think the DRM effects most (professional and user) reviews in a great way. The positive reviews seem to hardly mention DRM issues and that's a sign.

All must-have strategical and tactical aspects aside, for me immersion is very important. I want to feel how it was to be in these untersee monsters, I think Silent Hunter 5 is possibly very good at that. Being able to freely walk around in your sub is a giant step forward.

So yeah after debating and doubting for weeks, I think I'm going to buy it. As you somewhat described it's just a pain to get an objective clear opinion or review, or even discussion without DRM taking over and enflaming the situation.

ErichK
04-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Make sure to review it here when you buy it :D:D

kwijibo55
05-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Didn't play SH5 but I had a lot of fun with SH4. If SH5 is too broken you could always give SH4 a try.

dyabel
05-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Give SH5 6 months to a year and see how many patches are released. See how many mods are released.

I agree - history repeats itself, same problems as with SH4: game was playable a year after release.