PDA

View Full Version : This game needs dedicated server

EshMoon
04-24-2010, 03:12 AM
Thats very laggy -.- game needs dedicated servers.

KDR_11k
04-24-2010, 03:28 AM
Does it at least have host migration or is it another one of those "if the host gets bored the match ends" games?

Bluecewe
04-24-2010, 03:37 AM
Thats very laggy -.- game needs dedicated servers.

It was confirmed on the Boost Tropper forums that there will be dedicated servers in the coming months along with new DLC and bug fixes. Dedicated servers are a high priority for the team, though bear in mind it only came out around 8 days ago.

Heres the link for the Booster Trooper forums (http://www.dns-development.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19#p85) where the topic is mentuned.

Cedge
04-24-2010, 03:37 AM
It's getting a server app, as well as a map editor:
http://www.dns-development.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19

...though bear in mind it only came out around 8 days ago.
Eight days? Closer to eight hours. :p

Bluecewe
04-24-2010, 03:44 AM
It's getting a server app, as well as a map editor:
http://www.dns-development.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19

Eight days? Closer to eight hours. :p

Release Date: 16 Apr 2010

Thats 8 days i think. :confused:

KDR_11k
04-24-2010, 04:17 AM
I've seen dedicated servers promised before, Lead and Gold was supposed to have them as it went out of beta (official release though the "early beta access" basically meant the game was out before then and just got flagged as released), still doesn't seem to have them.

I think that date is wrong, I only saw the game today.

Cedge
04-24-2010, 04:53 AM
I've seen dedicated servers promised before, Lead and Gold was supposed to have them as it went out of beta
I don't recall them ever guaranteeing dedicated servers for launch. I believe they said it would be some time after.

That's inaccurate. The game only became available for purchase today.

KDR_11k
04-24-2010, 07:02 AM
I don't recall them ever guaranteeing dedicated servers for launch. I believe they said it would be some time after.

Either way there's no dedis yet.

Trashcantoy
04-24-2010, 01:07 PM
ill wait till dedis are released, hopefully combined with a sale to attract lots of players to build a community.

MasterOfTheTide
04-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Why was the game not designed around dedicated servers. I just bought the 4 pack ****!!!! Wish I had known and I wouldn't have even touched this game....

_clippa_
04-25-2010, 04:17 AM
Why do devs release a game before dedicated servers are ready?

The game is forgotten about and everyone who did buy it has stopped playing because the p2p netcode is so bad and then when they finally get the servers sorted, their game is dead.

Have it all ready at launch day, if it's not ready, don't release the game, wait. Word of mouth will kill your game before it's even begun.
Am I missing something here? This is just common sense.

I made a mistake buying lead and gold, assuming the game would be ready to play, I'm not making the same mistake again.

MasterOfTheTide
04-25-2010, 07:29 AM

The game is forgotten about and everyone who did buy it has stopped playing because the p2p netcode is so bad and then when they finally get the servers sorted, their game is dead.

Have it all ready at launch day, if it's not ready, don't release the game, wait. Word of mouth will kill your game before it's even begun.

I made a mistake buying lead and gold, assuming the game would be ready to play, I'm not making the same mistake again.

Couldn't agree more. I will have probably completely forgot about this game and the developer by the time dedicated servers are out, thus killing me buying their next game.

Too bad they had total lack of foresight.

KDR_11k
04-25-2010, 08:30 AM
because the p2p netcode is so bad

Minor nitpick: P2P refers to a server-less architecture where all participants are equal peers and share an equal amount of authority. BT (the game) runs on a server-client model but the server is a listen server, it simultaneously serves the game and has a player participate in it. A dedicated server does the serving thing but does not put its own player into the game (and often cuts stuff like graphics output to save system resources and allow running more servers on one physical system).

Trashcantoy
04-25-2010, 11:51 AM

its true, Lead and Gold, Booster Trooper, Zero Gear, Section 8, all released without dedis but with the promise to implement them later... the community died before they were added. no offense to the devs, but i see you havent learned from the past.

KDR_11k
04-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Wait, wasn't Section 8 released with them boasting about having dedicated servers even on the consoles? I think that community died for other reasons.

Also The Scourge Project is practically dead because of some massive flaws that they're promising to fix in the next patch, whenever that comes.

netlork
04-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Definitely this game need dedicated servers, yes.

Today i buy the game and... multiplayer not populated, in all day i only see 2-3 games at any moment but all deathmatch??

Add bots to the other game types too pls :(

KDR_11k
04-25-2010, 12:48 PM
And most of the hosts I've dealt with were terrible, the game state would go berserk.

Trashcantoy
04-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Wait, wasn't Section 8 released with them boasting about having dedicated servers even on the consoles? I think that community died for other reasons.

Also The Scourge Project is practically dead because of some massive flaws that they're promising to fix in the next patch, whenever that comes.
section 8 did deliver dedicated servers not too long after launch, but GFWL kept the servers from functioning for at least a good couple of weeks, by the time they were up and functional it was too late.

KDR_11k
04-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Ah, yes, the lovely mess that is GFWL... Microsoft tried to make PC gaming more user friendly with it and did the complete opposite.

shrike92
04-25-2010, 06:01 PM
thanks for the info guys. I came here to see what was up with the state of the game and I'm glad I did. I can spend that ten bucks on something that's actually going to grow instead of die.

Why they would release something like this without dedicated servers boggles my mind. Its a fast paced, lighter sort of action game so expecting the host to stay the whole match or for multiple matches defeats their intended purpose. If you're in a clan, and have people who you know will be online and won't just rage quit then it's a different story.

Also, when the host does leave, and the whole game shuts down, its a really jarring experience imo.

What's sad is that it's probably too late for them to fix this mistake, and that even if they learn from this they probably won't have a second chance (as they were probably hoping for this to take off to make their next title). I love the premise of the game and I can see myself having a lot of fun playing, but it seems that this will just end up as another great idea with bad execution - another gem which will just sink to the floor of the ocean of games which is steam

WaZzUp115
04-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Actually they will have a lot of second chances since they're on steam you can probably expect weekend deals or free weekends being arranged once dedicated servers are out if the community isn't already big enough by then..

A game like this could get a massive community over a weekend if it was sold for 50-75% off, especially since it would pop-up when starting steam and thus would get a lot more attention than when it's actually released.

KDR_11k
04-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Hm, speaking of second chances, did Foreign Legion's huge patch give the game a second life? FL was originally released with only one level with a fixed duration and everything, several months later a patch came out that gave it a whole campaign, extensive weapon selection and extra modes.

Cedge
04-26-2010, 01:07 AM
its true, Lead and Gold, Booster Trooper, Zero Gear, Section 8, all released without dedis but with the promise to implement them later... the community died before they were added.

Ain't it a bit early to be calling L&G, which is just a couple weeks old, and especially Booster Trooper, which is just a couple days old, "dead"?

KDR_11k
04-26-2010, 01:31 AM
Well, it's very hard to find online matches for those that don't lag like hell.

Trashcantoy
04-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Ain't it a bit early to be calling L&G, which is just a couple weeks old, and especially Booster Trooper, which is just a couple days old, "dead"?
sorry if my message wasnt clear, but im stating that by the time LnG and Booster Trooper will have dedis the games will be dead.

ElfShotTheFood
04-26-2010, 11:09 AM
$10 indie games need to have EVERYTHING or I won't buy them.

Case closed.

shrike92
04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
to be honest, I thought dedicated servers were pretty much the norm since like Quake 2. That's really what gets me. It's like if you bought a 2010 Honda and found out it doesn't have AC or an airbag or something.

I might just get the game anyways, and hope that they patch it in quickly and do one of the sales like WaZzUp was saying.

It's nice to support indie game companies, but I hate when they use indie status to skimp on features I think really should be standard by now.

Sollus
04-26-2010, 03:35 PM
...Lead and Gold, Booster Trooper, Zero Gear, Section 8, all released without dedis but with the promise to implement them later...

Add AvP3 to that list.

Add bots to the other game types too pls :(

Wait, you can't play the other modes in single-player with bots? So single-player with bots is only deathmatch?

Not that I'd play this game single-player much, but still.

Actually they will have a lot of second chances since they're on steam you can probably expect weekend deals or free weekends being arranged once dedicated servers are out if the community isn't already big enough by then..

A game like this could get a massive community over a weekend if it was sold for 50-75% off, especially since it would pop-up when starting steam and thus would get a lot more attention than when it's actually released.

True, but it still leaves a bad taste in the mouth, and some people are strict about not looking back after a bad first impression.

I'll keep an eye out on this game along with Lead & Gold, but overall I have to agree with _clippa_. It's just shoddy business practice and seems to be happening more often these days, as if more and more developers are under the impression that it's acceptable.

to be honest, I thought dedicated servers were pretty much the norm since like Quake 2. That's really what gets me. It's like if you bought a 2010 Honda and found out it doesn't have AC or an airbag or something.

I rarely agree with 'new car - video game' analogies, but you're absolutely right. Dedicated servers were standard even in the Quake 1 days. You'd expect that as time went on, advancements in technology would result in the addition of new features and enhancements, but we seem to be moving backward.

Oh, but the graphics are always great. /rolleyes

KDR_11k
04-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Deathmatch and TDM, apparently they never gave the AI understanding of the objective-based modes. You cannot add bots to MP matches in those modes either.

Trashcantoy
04-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Add AvP3 to that list.
true, and its impossible to set up a ranked dedicated server, you can only level up with the matchmaking system (another flaw).

Xcava86X
04-27-2010, 04:55 PM
this is not exactly cheap for the developers, however I totally agree.