PDA

View Full Version : Mass effect wont work

shipwreckedpira
04-24-2010, 03:39 PM
So, i purchased mass effect and was super excited to play it on my laptop which is pretty new, cus i never got to finish my file on my 360 before it got deleted by my brother..anyways,

bought it thru steam, downloaded it for about 2 hours and then it was installed. so i go to open it and after clicking launch...

it asks if i want to launch or view support information.. so i say launch and...

immediately the small window that says "Mass Effect has stopped working" "windows is checking for a solution to the problem". and then it turns into "Mass Effect has stopped working" "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

...uhhm..whats the problem, and how can i fix it? My specs match up and in some ways is better than the system reccomendations stated by steam. So WTF? i payed 20 bucks for it and im not happy. But, if anyone would be so kind as to offer a solution..(because my guess is that windows wont do it on its own..)

Jito463
04-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Have you tried verifying the game cache? Have you checked for driver updates? Have you made sure your OS is up to date? If the answer is yes to all those questions, then please post the specs of your computer. OS (and whether x86/32-bit or x64/64-bit), CPU, RAM, GPU. And if you know it, post what chipset your system uses (nVidia, Intel, SiS, Via, AMD, etc).

shipwreckedpira
04-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Yes, yes, yes, .

Processor is pentium(r) dual-core CPU 2.00GHZ ; 4.00GB ram (which is kind of pointless because its Vista 32-bit)
and my video card is ATI mobility radeon hd 4330 . Are my specs not good enough ?

Jito463
04-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Your video card is kind of low-end (as is normal for a lot of laptops), but should still run it. What about your anti-virus and/or firewall? Any other background programs running you could disable (e.g. IM or VoIP programs)?

shipwreckedpira
04-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Nope. all things off. i use avg, but no firewall activated

Salith
04-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Run it as an administrator.
Run it in compatibility mode (WinXP SP2 seems to be the one that works most).
Launch the executable manually the first time (if need be as admin/compatibility) to see if it gets past the problem.

NanostrikeX
05-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I had to run the .exe manually in Windows XP compatability mode for the first time. It sets up some stuff in the hard drive that running it in Windows 7 mode won't allow. After that I took off compatability mode and it ran fine.

Search your Hard Drive for MassEffect.exe and set the compatibility. Then run it (Grant the permissions and whatnot). Then turn off compatibility mode so you don't have to accept permissions every single time it runs. Runs fine.

I hope this helps!