PDA

View Full Version : How To Set A Message That Spams Every 60 Seconds For A Few Seconds?

Smoke Ya Later
04-25-2010, 07:07 AM
I rented my own server, configured it as a mutator. I need to know how to add a message that spams through console or whatever every 60 seconds let's say for 5 seconds in a nice noticeable color. How can I do this? I can't find any info on it, but I'm always on servers that do it.

ne_skaju
04-25-2010, 07:14 AM
To be honest, it’s one of most annoying things, in any games. Nobody will join your community/forum. Everyone know that friendly fire and using exploits is bad. People will add server to favorite, only if they want to do this.

And you cannot install adblock/user css to remove that things in game, unlike browser )-:

Smoke Ya Later
04-25-2010, 07:41 AM
I really wasn't asking for opinions, I wanted to know how to do it.

Zonker
04-25-2010, 07:58 AM
I think you're looking for ServerAds (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=32009).

Suomis
04-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Smoke Ya Later, please no.

Oliolli
04-25-2010, 09:00 AM
To be honest, itís one of most annoying things, in any games. Nobody will join your community/forum. Everyone know that friendly fire and using exploits is bad. People will add server to favorite, only if they want to do this.

And you cannot install adblock/user css to remove that things in game, unlike browser )-:

this is true, it is really annoying.

Smoke Ya Later
04-25-2010, 03:22 PM
I think you're looking for ServerAds (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=32009).

I've tried it twice now and it's taken the entire server down. I've had to reinstall twice now because that stuff torched it,

I think I got the issue. Thanks!

Zonker
04-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Just wanted to add that there are more possible reasons to include ServerAds besides "spamming people". A LOT of players don't read the info given in server names before joining, for example. One or two lines down in the chat area every once in a while don't hurt anyone - a shotgun blast in the back by someone who didn't realize he's on a FF server on the other hand... :)

turtlesoup
04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
nothing wrong with console messages, it's just the banner messages that go across the middle of your screen that are annoying. serverext is better imo, serverads is incomplete and more of a pain to configure.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=34416

you should go to tw forums if you want to run a server, much more info there on config. so you don't have to post a new thread every time you want to do something you don't know how.

Friendliest
04-30-2010, 12:32 AM
I rented my own server, configured it as a mutator. I need to know how to add a message that spams through console or whatever every 60 seconds let's say for 5 seconds in a nice noticeable color. How can I do this? I can't find any info on it, but I'm always on servers that do it.every 60 seconds? really? (really?!)

To be honest, it’s one of most annoying things, in any games. Nobody will join your community/forum. Everyone know that friendly fire and using exploits is bad. People will add server to favorite, only if they want to do this.yes it is annoying. yes, people will not listen. many people don't even read the console whatsoever. for that matter, many can't even read period, whatsoever.

server spam 9 times out of 10 is some power-tripping individual trying to exert control over the world which so obviously has them powerless in their non-gaming life. obviously, that's just pathetic.

And you cannot install adblock/user css to remove that things in game, unlike browser )-:heh if only

I really wasn't asking for opinions, I wanted to know how to do it.but you got 'em. kinda like server spam. people don't ask for it, yet they get it. :/

I think you're looking for ServerAds (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=32009).wow thanks

Smoke Ya Later, please no.if only

this is true, it is really annoying./signed

I've tried it twice now and it's taken the entire server down. I've had to reinstall twice now because that stuff torched it,
serves u right?

I think I got the issue. Thanks!sorry to hear that

Just wanted to add that there are more possible reasons to include ServerAds besides "spamming people". A LOT of players don't read the info given in server names before joining, for example. One or two lines down in the chat area every once in a while don't hurt anyone - a shotgun blast in the back by someone who didn't realize he's on a FF server on the other hand... :)The fine line between spam and not-spam is crossed when misguided admins think "I really, really want everyone to see this message; it's so important! Let's see..... 5 minutes is such a long time; I wouldn't want anyone to miss my uber-important message. I'll choose a 60 second interval."

Fact is, which you don't realize cuz u'r just a new admin and unversed in human psychology on top of it: 60 second spam is way annoying. Something like 10 minutes is more appropriate. A serious game of KF lasts like 45-60 minutes; serious players will still be seeing your message 4-6 times IN ONE GAME!!!!!!* (And as for the un-serious players... who cares about them? They just quit after 1-2 rounds anyway! U think they care about you ... or your server ... or your rules?)

With a longer interval, you are sure to target the people who are going to stay in your server long enough to care one iota about your misguided rules, meanwhile not penalize everyone else with relentless spam, which only causes more quit/join spam due to uninterested parties either not following the rules, or not wanting to tolerate the spam in the first place!

Make sense? I doubt it...

*EDIT: yeah, actually, "serious" players won't be seeing your message at all, cuz they don't hang out in servers that spam... :P

nothing wrong with console messages, it's just the banner messages that go across the middle of your screen that are annoying. serverext is better imo, serverads is incomplete and more of a pain to configure.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=34416

you should go to tw forums if you want to run a server, much more info there on config. so you don't have to post a new thread every time you want to do something you don't know how.when done with inappropriate timing/positioning/coloring/message/etc., both types of spam are annoying and unwelcome. it's up to the community to guide these ppl, IMO, and 60 seconds is way too frequent to spam any message other than "someone is breaking into my house plz call 911". {special note: that was just a sample message. someone is not actually breaking into my house. please do not call 911.}

btw.....
"inappropriate timing" = any time during gameplay
"inappropriate positioning" = anywhere on the display during gameplay
"inappropriate color" = any color which draws the players' attention away from gameplay
"inappropriate message" = anything not directly, immediately related to gameplay
"inappropriate etc." = [i hope u get the point by now.....]

Zonker
04-30-2010, 02:25 AM
I don't know what to think about your post, really. It's up to the admin to set messages on his / her server and the players can decide if it annoys them or not. If they think it's spam, well, they leave and play somewhere else. And the admin probably has to think about reducing the amount of messages.

I'm running a suicidal server with a minimum perk level of 5, for example. This info is given in the server name (which is often ignored or just not read in general), so I'm letting ServerAds do three lines - split in one-liners every three minutes or so, standard color (white), down in the chat area - noting that perks above 5 should be used and vote-kicking is allowed if people refuse to switch to a perk of that level. Although the server is frequented quite often, I haven't heard anyone complaining about those tiny little messages so far (guess they're all "un-serious" players, right? :) ).

In fact, you really sound like Smoke Ya Later had asked for server-side hacks or a way to randomly explode one player every 60 seconds. It's ok to tell him 60 seconds might be a bit short and that he shouldn't overdo it color- and position-wise... but your post is almost (?) on the level of trolling.