PDA

View Full Version : Do You Need Catalyst Control Center To Update ATi Drivers?

Right 4 Alive
04-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Sorry, I don't know too much of this, and everybody seems to know this already because there aren't any links on Google (that I found) asking this question.

So I have an HD 4870 without Catalyst right now and the load times take forever so I want to try out the 10.4 preview drivers. I would much rather not have the Catalyst Control Center because I don't like having programs running in the background other than Anti-Virus.

tl;dr

Do I need to download Catalyst in order for it to work properly?

dungeonseeker_1
04-25-2010, 09:46 AM
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATI-Catalyst-10-4-a-Hotfix.aspx

Note that this is only a beta preview driver, the final release is expected anytime soon so you will need to re update to the final version when it gets released.

The Comfy Chair
04-25-2010, 09:46 AM
You don't necessarily need it, but most game related problems are fixed by having it. It really doesn't take up much memory or processor power though (0% CPU usage and around 10MB RAM). So i think you should leave it running in my opinion. I tend to cut back on all my background processes too, but i always leave CCC.

panickin
04-25-2010, 09:50 AM
well you could download the preview driver and extract the actual driver and install it manually, but... You are seriously gimping your card by not having CCC running due to the lost benefits of Catalyst AI (game specific driver optimizations) the benefits far outweigh the negatives of having the process running in the background

The Comfy Chair
04-25-2010, 09:55 AM
well you could download the preview driver and extract the actual driver and install it manually, but... You are seriously gimping your card by not having CCC running due to the lost benefits of Catalyst AI (game specific driver optimizations) the benefits far outweigh the negatives of having the process running in the background

This too, plus it is useful for hd5870 users who can put on 12x (24x is just too much, you'd need around a 3GB card for that) SSAA (super sampling Anti aliasing) through the CCC to make games like l4d2 look pretty awesome.

H E X E N
04-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Like everyone else, I would recommend using the program. CCC is pretty useful and far easier to use than most of the other overclocking programs I have encountered. Temps are easy to monitor as well as memory clock speeds.

I'm still running the 9.11 set on my 4870's. I have found these to be the most stable, on my machine anyway. With Radeon, you generally stick with what works until you encounter a problem.

And to be honest, you probably won't notice much of a difference in load times with new drivers. The difference is minimal at best.

The Comfy Chair
04-25-2010, 10:01 AM
And to be honest, you probably won't notice much of a difference in load times with new drivers. The difference is minimal at best.

Isn't that because the fix was just for the hd5 series? there should be a hd4 series fix out soon.

EDIT: according to the link above, this is that driver.

panickin
04-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Actually Hexen I would recommend the preview driver, it took my load times from about 45 seconds to maybe 10 tops, the only drawback to this is the lack of time to grab another beer/soda from the fridge in between rounds now, lol

Comfy there is a fix for the other generations now it's 10.4a preview (i believe that's the version on it anyway)

watchmedie
04-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Actually Hexen I would recommend the preview driver, it took my load times from about 45 seconds to maybe 10 tops, the only drawback to this is the lack of time to grab another beer/soda from the fridge in between rounds now, lol

Comfy there is a fix for the other generations now it's 10.4a preview (i believe that's the version on it anyway)

Yep, 10.4a fixes it for all cards :) my 4870 has 5 second load times now.

The Comfy Chair
04-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Yep, 10.4a fixes it for all cards :) my 4870 has 5 second load times now.

woop :)

H E X E N
04-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Well, I went back to the 9.11 after the 10.3's almost incinerated my cards. No joke. I kept getting bsods and the config file was revealing nothing. I checked the log file and my temps after the restarts, and my cards were up 20 degrees, give or take, over my previous temps. (Yes I used the manual fan control, as I always do.) So after 2 fresh installs I just went back to the 9.11's.

I might give the preview drivers a shot though. I've been stuck on the 9.11's for quite some time now.

Right 4 Alive
04-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Okay, I think I'll install CCC then. The main reason I took it off because it makes my startup a bit slower.

So, does anyone know when the final drivers are being released?

H E X E N
04-25-2010, 10:27 AM
End of this month or beginning of the next I would imagine. Doesn't Radeon only put out one set per month?

kl0wn
04-25-2010, 11:13 AM
My 4890 takes a while to load this game. These should just clear that right up? If so, should I uninstall the drivers I have right now and try these or install them over it?

panickin
04-25-2010, 11:40 AM
for the preview you should uninstall the old, restart, install the preview driver, restart, enjoy fast loading of the next round

The Comfy Chair
04-25-2010, 11:41 AM
End of this month or beginning of the next I would imagine. Doesn't Radeon only put out one set per month?

AMD used to, but since the hd5 series they have bumped driver releases up a lot. So you tend to see these preview drivers between every release to get fixes out quicker.

Right 4 Alive
04-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Wow, this is very confusing. I got the 10.4a drivers and I want them taken off because I think they might be causing some slowdown in BC2. I don't know how to get from 10.4a to 10.3.

Is CCC tied with the drivers? When I uninstall the drivers do I also uninstall CCC? How do I uninstall the drivers and reinstall the new ones? Do I just override it?

The Comfy Chair
04-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Wow, this is very confusing. I got the 10.4a drivers and I want them taken off because I think they might be causing some slowdown in BC2. I don't know how to get from 10.4a to 10.3.

Is CCC tied with the drivers? When I uninstall the drivers do I also uninstall CCC? How do I uninstall the drivers and reinstall the new ones? Do I just override it?

i'm pretty sure CCC is always updated when you install any driver. So you can just install 10.3 over 10.4a.

panickin
04-25-2010, 12:15 PM

I'd test with Catalyst AI set to advanced before uninstalling the driver, i get excellent performance from this driver with a 4870 1gb (60-70 fps average with all settings high and 2x aa 16x af)

Ec]-[oMaN
04-25-2010, 12:16 PM

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=52502

H E X E N
04-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Just some info.

I personally get all my drivers from here...

http://downloads.guru3d.com/

Every new driver set includes it's own copy of CCC.

**WHEN YOU INSTALL NEW DRIVERS**

First, download this...

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28Setup%29-download-1655.html

1.Uninstall the old set using the windows control panel.

2.You can then choose to reboot and run in safe mode to run Driver Sweeper, or just run DS right after the control panel uninstall. (I have personally found no difference between the two methods.) Running driver sweeper will remove all the "leftovers" from the Control Panel uninstall.

3.Reboot after driver sweeper and install your new driver set.

4.Reboot after installation and enjoy.

Galloway
04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Hey guys,

I was having random freezes after the new Steam client was updated.

I downloaded those new drivers, and so far, it has fixed my freezes.

Also, coming from Battlefield 2, I had no idea the loading screen was considered "long," on the ATI cards. After the patch, it comes up in only a few seconds.

Now I no longer have time between rounds to grab a drink or use the restroom! Man that's freakin fast!

I was wondering how people were already blowing up MCOM's so fast before I spawned, as my system is brand new and is pretty well specced out, and should have loaded as one of the first.

The patch explains it all.

Big thanks!