PDA

View Full Version : A simple question

Mendozacheers
04-25-2010, 01:33 PM
whats the diffetence between Quake, Quakeworld, GLQuake and GLQuakeworld? those are the alternatives when starting up quake. Is there more gameplay in the other 3s except Quake?

Nitronumber9
04-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Ok I'm as confused as you are but I'll cover it as best I can.
Quake is the main boot which runs in software, Basicly if you want to dive into singleplayer, hit that and off you go, although it has multiplayer, the coding is miles out of date.
You then have GLQuake which is similar but has open GL support built in (Although its miles out of date and will cause issues)
You then have Quake World which had vastly improved multiplayer coding which allowed for smoother funner online gaming and I hear its still in use (Correct me if I'm wrong) GLQuakeWorld is the Open GL version.

Vonje
04-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Quakeworld uses client-prediction, so running around is always smooth on high-ping servers.

Mendozacheers
04-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks, that was important info! i kinda gets annoyed by older dosbox games to steam that got several different start-ups. So if i want to play the game as it is then its 'Quake', and if i want to play the original quake multiplayer, then its 'Quake World'? and i dont really miss anything by ignoring the GLs?

Fox-Shot
05-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks, that was important info! i kinda gets annoyed by older dosbox games to steam that got several different start-ups. So if i want to play the game as it is then its 'Quake', and if i want to play the original quake multiplayer, then its 'Quake World'? and i dont really miss anything by ignoring the GLs?The GLs have you run them in OpenGL mode, so they use your graphics card, making the textures softer via texture filter, but at the risk of compatibility errors.

Taikis
05-10-2010, 07:04 AM
I suggest using the GL versions for better graphics and performance.

If you get some graphical issues, disable triple buffering. ;)