PDA

View Full Version : "failed to contact key server"

oceansize_72
04-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Pre-loaded, pre-purchased, sitting on my hard drive waiting to play. Can't tho cuz Steam tells me "failed to contact key server."

Anyone else?

P.S. all my other Steam games work, including two recent Ubisoft games that have the same DRM.

Mxthe
04-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah, same problem here ! It started like 30 mins ago, anyone help ?

I have tried restarting computer, restarting my router, restarting steam..

This little error box pops up whenever I click the game :

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2250/errortk.jpg

oceansize_72
04-27-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm confused. How do you know it started 30 minutes ago? If you know the problem started only 30 minutes ago, that implies that you used it successfully at least once before then, but if you've used it successfully at least once, why would you try again, and THEN discover that it wasn't working anymore? Not being nasty, just trying to understand.

Mxthe
04-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Yes, I have been playing All day long, I stopped playing to install new ATI drivers to improve the performance of the game, since I had low fps, and when I tried to launch it, I got this message, I restarted steam and did various stuff (That took me about 30 mins) and then I posted the message :)

oceansize_72
04-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Hmmm...odd that it would try to re-validate the key if it was already installed on your rig. I get the impression this key server is distinct from the DRM server, since for troubleshooting purposes I've been running all my other Ubisoft games with this same DRM just fine through Steam (AC2, SH5)

Mxthe
04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
It works now, looks like it was a steam issue...

oceansize_72
04-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Still not working for me. :-( But nice to see someone's making progress. Did you do anything different or did it just work this time?

Mxthe
04-27-2010, 06:04 PM
I just kept validating steam files for the game...

Try it

oceansize_72
04-27-2010, 06:06 PM
well, I already got a response from steam support and that's their first suggestion so that is what I'm doing right now. it is taking FOREVER.

Freyar
04-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Steam looks like it's still having a few issues. (Stats show logged in users dropped from 1.42 million to less than 320k). The key server had some trouble for me too, but I waited three minutes and it eventually gave it to me.

oceansize_72
04-27-2010, 06:17 PM
completed verifying game cache, still no joy. I've been trying for just under an hour now... :-(

fingers crossed

dingussquatford
08-22-2010, 02:46 PM
This problem occurs when steam has a sale and runs out of keys. Steam unethically continues to take people's money when they do not have the product they are selling. I encountered this problem last week when I purchased the DLC packs for the game borderlands. I have owned borderlands for months and decided it was time to pick up the DLC during the sale. After paying, I tried to play my borderlands game. Every time I tried I received the error "failed to contact key server". Purchasing the expansion packs had locked me out of the game entirely. No main game, No DLC. I submitted support requests with no response. Finally after 48 hours steam acquired more keys and they game worked again. I am still waiting for a response from steam because this 'key server' problem happens every time they run a sale on a product that includes the "SecureROM" DRM software.

If you don't know what DRM is, it is a software technology that blocks legitimate paying customers from using the products that they spent their hard earned money for. Pirates and Thieves bypass this technology in seconds.