PDA

View Full Version : Bring us old Steam back!

Colek
04-28-2010, 08:29 AM
I made a petition, when we will get 50,000 votes, I will send this to Valve.

1. New Steams don't like my old PC.
2. New Steam don't like Ubuntu (Wine).
3. New Steam is too much eye ♥♥♥♥ and slow.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/oldsteamftw

MAKE PEOPLE CHOISE WHAT THEY WANT!

You could maybe do a something like "Choose the Skin"?

Numnums
04-28-2010, 09:17 AM
problem is the new Steam is updated version, to have the ability to choose would also make Valve have to give support for both.

RavenDizzle
04-28-2010, 01:21 PM
I made a petition, when we will get 50,000 votes, I will send this to Valve.

1. New Steams don't like my old PC.
2. New Steam don't like Ubuntu (Wine).
3. New Steam is too much eye ♥♥♥

1. Old PC is not a gaming PC (unless you're talking HL1 and the like). I have an old P4 w/2gb DDR ram sitting in the living room so I can play CS 1.6 when I'm with my kids, and it runs the new steam fine.
2. Steam is not supported for Wine OR Linux (yet).
3. New steam is pleasing to the eye.

L.o.D.
04-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Colek, you can edit the steam.styles file to make steam to your liking, if you know what to do.
Or you can just download a skin for it.

You also could have voiced your opinion about it during the 2/3 month beta stage.

Kogitsune
04-28-2010, 01:48 PM
1. Old PC is not a gaming PC (unless you're talking HL1 and the like). I have an old P4 w/2gb DDR ram sitting in the living room so I can play CS 1.6 when I'm with my kids, and it runs the new steam fine.

I have an ancient laptop from 2003. 1.6ghz, single core, 1gb ram, W7. It can run the new UI in full mode with little trouble.

The only people who have ANY real complaint, performance wise, are the lower percentile with less than a single gig of ram and any strange conflicts.

Microshocky
04-28-2010, 02:56 PM
It's not gonna happen. I'm not in love with the new Steam UI but it's only a matter of time before people get used to it.

People complain about the Youtube interface and new Facebook UI's but you'll get used to it.

seseorang
04-29-2010, 12:49 AM

Hmmm. WINE is a compatibility layer for Linux. Much like Windows has one for 32 bit applications. The problem with Steam not working with WINE is that no-one who manages the project has had a chance to get it to work fully.

Chances are with this one, they might take the Mac OS version and adapt that. Who knows

In regards to point 1. I have Steam running on an AMD 3000 @2.1GHz with 1.5GHz PC2700RAM (DDR1) and a GeForce 4MX. And that runs slow. But I don't use it for gaming

super.skirv
04-29-2010, 07:16 AM
I hate the new interface, I dont really bother checking the forums much expect when things go terriably wrong. My biggest beef with it is, its too much, the old one was sleek and easy on your cpu when you were alt-tab, and i could chat with friends on steam, during a high performance game. How will this hold up? Studder and lag, freeze up, and make me unable to get back to my game? Even if you skin over it make it look like the old one, its still doing things in the background, loading an image for a game on your "library" page. I realize nothing is gonna be done about it now, but I hate all game launcher programs that look like this, steam was my favorite because it was so simplistic.

leveller
04-29-2010, 07:31 AM
The old one is dated and dull, the new one is fresh and slicker. However if you guys with slow computers are struggling then I guess maybe there needs to be an option for you too, like the dull, old, dated looking Steam. Maybe the Steam guys need to put out a hints and tips page/thread to explain how to refine and tweak your new Steam to make it speedier and less demanding?

FreemanForPrez
04-29-2010, 08:07 AM
MAKE PEOPLE CHOISE WHAT THEY WANT!

I can't help but feel that what you really meant to say is "Make people use what I want!"

Although the better wording would have been "Allow people to choose what they want"

More realistically, however, it would be better if people just got used to it because I'm pretty sure this is the way it's going to stay, and the people who don't like it are probably very much in the minority.

Blender3dartist
04-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I like eye-candy, however I can see where people with old computers might have a problem with it. Maybe some sort of option?

Alteran Ancient
04-29-2010, 02:23 PM
The new Steam client shouldn't be any more demanding than its predecessor.

Just ignore the Luddites, they're all afraid of change and advancement. How do you think the wheel was invented?

NeckeD
04-29-2010, 02:58 PM
The new Steam client shouldn't be any more demanding than its predecessor.

Just ignore the Luddites, they're all afraid of change and advancement. How do you think the wheel was invented?

An accident maybe? lol

Steam SHOULD give the users the ability to choose the Steam version, like choosing between IE7 and IE8 (by the way, IE7>IE8)
They had the "beta participate" thingy allowing people to use the new interface, so why not keep both interfaces and just add a little "Choose Interface" button? with the options of:
1. Old interface -> 'Is win, heavy like *Munch munch*'
2. New interface -> 'Were tah hell are meh gamez dud3?'

Plus, one of the most stupid things ever in this new interface - you can't control your Friend list status from the list, like you could do with the old interface.

CONCLUSION:

OLD INTERFACE = WIN
NEW INTERFACE = LOSE = MW2 MULTIPLAYER F**KS

L.o.D.
04-29-2010, 03:25 PM
The problem with that is having to maintain multiple versions of steam. That is just not feasible for a company of a few hundred.
It's better to keep everyone using the same version for troubleshooting issues etc.

FineWolf
04-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Steam SHOULD give the users the ability to choose the Steam version, like choosing between IE7 and IE8 (by the way, IE7>IE8)

If you think IE7 is better then IE8, I'm sorry, but you have more issues than just Steam at hand.

They had the "beta participate" thingy allowing people to use the new interface, so why not keep both interfaces and just add a little "Choose Interface" button? with the options of:
1. Old interface -> 'Is win, heavy like *Munch munch*'
2. New interface -> 'Were tah hell are meh gamez dud3?'

Because not just the UI changed. The whole protocol suite changed to increase encryption strength and make the whole thing more scalable to more users. Now with the new version out, the old server protocols are gone.

Plus, one of the most stupid things ever in this new interface - you can't control your Friend list status from the list, like you could do with the old interface.

Sure you can, simply right click on your avatar!

BS_1
04-29-2010, 05:52 PM
The old one is dated and dull, the new one is fresh and slicker. However if you guys with slow computers are struggling then I guess maybe there needs to be an option for you too, like the dull, old, dated looking Steam. Maybe the Steam guys need to put out a hints and tips page/thread to explain how to refine and tweak your new Steam to make it speedier and less demanding?
I have no problems with the new UI and yet I find it to be far more dull than the old one.

NeckeD
04-30-2010, 02:48 AM
If you think IE7 is better then IE8, I'm sorry, but you have more issues than just Steam at hand.

IE7 is > IE8 for several reasons: A. For some reason, with a normal connection and everything fine, the IE8 won't work proparly and would just lag like crazy.
B. There are colors when you open a new tab! what the hell's with that??

Because not just the UI changed. The whole protocol suite changed to increase encryption strength and make the whole thing more scalable to more users. Now with the new version out, the old server protocols are gone.

Encryptions strength upped? lol, that's stupid, they just made the Steam way slower (the store page takes years to load, even with full internet connection of 100 MBPS).

Sure you can, simply right click on your avatar!

Why the hell didn't they just made a little option button for that??? why try being sophisticated when it's clearly just stupid?

ultradude25
04-30-2010, 03:29 AM
by the way, IE7>IE8
Not really. It's more like Anything>IE9>IE8>IE7. At least the newest one supports some more web standards bringing it closer to being like every other browser, I'm tired of having to use workarounds to get damn IE users to load a site properly, especially IE7 users.

L.o.D.
04-30-2010, 06:42 AM
they just made the Steam way slower (the store page takes years to load, even with full internet connection of 100 MBPS).

Since the beta came out, it has loaded a crapload faster than the old one for me.
Store included.

Why the hell didn't they just made a little option button for that??? why try being sophisticated when it's clearly just stupid?

Can you say nitpick?

How is it "stupid" to right click your avatar OR click the arrow beside your name to change the status??