PDA

View Full Version : GTA4 & EFLC - Securom revoke tool

FinalGarou
04-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Some people are probably wondering if they should buy GTA4 and/or Episodes from Liberty City, because of the Securom-activation-limits.
GTA4 has unlimited activations, so it should always be possible to install and play the game.

Episodes from Liberty City does have a limit of 15 activiations. Now some might be afraid what would happen if you ran out of activiations, because then you wouldn't be able to play install the game anymore.
But only a few know, that there is a official revoke-tool that deactivates your PC and gives you back one activation. You can find it here:
https://support.securom.com/rockstarunlock/GTA_EFLC/index.php?c=revoke

There is also a general support-page for Securom and GTA4/EFLC:
https://support.securom.com/rockstarunlock/

Ph3NiX
04-28-2010, 01:13 PM
I have one question.
I bought GTA4 yesterday (for only 7.50 euro, couldn't resist!) started to install it, but then realized that it has Securom!!!.
I cancelled the installation and deleted the files in steam....still, even thow the game was only 2-3% downloaded, it already installed securom on my computer. I tried to uninstall it with the securom-uninstaller I downloaded from their home page, but It wouldnt let me deinstall it (even thow I uninstalled GTA4!) Really great tool!:o
I heard so many bad things about this type of copy-protection programs that I decided to erase my HD and reinstall the OS again.
I really don't want a program I never requested to install secretly and run without my concent in the background, while doind who knows what.
For now, I think I lost 7 euro (not much thankfully:p) and will not install this game unless in a future patch Rockstar decide to cancel this copy-protection nonsense.
Btw, many have already done so, I can't understand why Rockstar doesn't do it either; after all, the game is getting old so probably those who wanted to play it already bought it, there will be little problem with pirates I think.
Its a shame that those who pay for a game are treated like pirates by default:(.
So: please rockstar, REMOVE SECUROM and let me experience this game!:( Thx

Dragunovhun
04-28-2010, 01:24 PM
edit: nevermind i'm a pillock

FinalGarou
04-28-2010, 01:32 PM
You automatically get your activation revoked on uninstall, the revoke tool is just in case of an emergency.

The Steam-uninstallation-process often simply deletes the game-folder from the steamapps-folder. Steam doesn't run any scripts that revoke any licence. That's the reason why games like Batman:AA need their own revoke-tool in the "Tools"-menu in Steam. Steam also never deletes any additional installs like PhysX, Punkbuster or something like that because they are not in the steamapps-folder. Therefore it is highly likely that the Securom-licence remains active even after uninstalling through Steam.

That's why I recommend to run the revoke-tool after uninstallation.

FinalGarou
04-28-2010, 01:36 PM
I have one question.
I bought GTA4 yesterday (for only 7.50 euro, couldn't resist!) started to install it, but then realized that it has Securom!!!.
I cancelled the installation and deleted the files in steam....still, even thow the game was only 2-3% downloaded, it already installed securom on my computer. I tried to uninstall it with the securom-uninstaller I downloaded from their home page, but It wouldnt let me deinstall it (even thow I uninstalled GTA4!) Really great tool!:o
I heard so many bad things about this type of copy-protection programs that I decided to erase my HD and reinstall the OS again.
I really don't want a program I never requested to install secretly and run without my concent in the background, while doind who knows what.
For now, I think I lost 7 euro (not much thankfully:p) and will not install this game unless in a future patch Rockstar decide to cancel this copy-protection nonsense.
Btw, many have already done so, I can't understand why Rockstar doesn't do it either; after all, the game is getting old so probably those who wanted to play it already bought it, there will be little problem with pirates I think.
Its a shame that those who pay for a game are treated like pirates by default:(.
So: please rockstar, REMOVE SECUROM and let me experience this game!:( Thx

Steam only downloads data to the steamapps-folder, it doesn't change anything on your system until you run the game for the first time.
If you cancelled your download after 3%, then it is impossible that you got Securom from this game. You already had it from a different game before.

And the type of Securom that the GTA-titles use is the most user-friendly of all the Securom-types. It just checks for a genuine licence on the first startup and creates a licence-file on your computer. That's it.

The "evil" Securom is the one on Retail-discs, that tries to take control of your DVD-drive to make sure it's not a pirate-version, but in digital downloads like Steam this is not necessary and usually not installed.

Dragunovhun
04-28-2010, 01:40 PM
The Steam-uninstallation-process often simply deletes the game-folder from the steamapps-folder. Steam doesn't run any scripts that revoke any licence. That's the reason why games like Batman:AA need their own revoke-tool in the "Tools"-menu in Steam. Steam also never deletes any additional installs like PhysX, Punkbuster or something like that because they are not in the steamapps-folder. Therefore it is highly likely that the Securom-licence remains active even after uninstalling through Steam.

That's why I recommend to run the revoke-tool after uninstallation.

Crap, i totally forgot that. Good info mate.

Ph3NiX
04-28-2010, 01:42 PM
I think you are right, maybe I got it from another game, but I checked and all my games are securom-free.:cool:
The only new thing I installed recently was BIOSHOCK 1 DEMO from steam. Could it be that a demo installed securom??!!:confused:

FinalGarou
04-28-2010, 01:48 PM
I think you are right, maybe I got it from another game, but I checked and all my games are securom-free.:cool:
The only new thing I installed recently was BIOSHOCK 1 DEMO from steam. Could it be that a demo installed securom??!!:confused:

Yes that is possible, because if the demo wouldn't have the same protection as the full version, then hackers could easily make a crack based on the unprotected demo.

Ph3NiX
04-28-2010, 01:52 PM
that sucks really big time...securom in a demo!
But If I had installed GTA4, it would have installed securom too right? Does anybody know if they are ditching this program any time soon with a patch? I read many games on steam are now releasing patches that disable securom. Is it true and if yes, which game?

FinalGarou
04-28-2010, 01:59 PM
that sucks really big time...securom in a demo!
But If I had installed GTA4, it would have installed securom too right? Does anybody know if they are ditching this program any time soon with a patch? I read many games on steam are now releasing patches that disable securom. Is it true and if yes, which game?

There are not many games that got a patch.
See this list: http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=11

(Note that this list includes retail AND digital distribution, most of these games don't have Securom on Steam)

But like I said, the Securom that only does Online-Activation poses no threat to your computer. And as long as you use the specific revoke-tools you shouldn't have to worry about anything.

Ph3NiX
04-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Well, it's nice to know that the GTA4 version has a slightly less hidious version of securom...still, having uninstalled bioshock and having run the securom uninstaller program UNSUCCESFULY makes me think if the uninstaller would really uninstall COMPLETLY the securom of GTA4...till i'm sure of this, I'm not installing it.
And still, I would prefer a new patch of the game that completly removes securom..:cool: