PDA

View Full Version : GTA Classics - How To get Grand Theft Auto: Vice City To Work On Windows Vista / 7

Wiiplay
04-29-2010, 01:21 PM
If you are having problems with Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, this post may help you to fix your problems.

This guide is for Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: 3 are by far one of the most memorable GTA games created. With the classic GTA gameplay, the games are must buys.
But what happens if the games do not work on your top-of-the-line gaming rig running Windows Vista or Windows 7?

I'm sure by now you've tried a lot of troubleshooting tips found online, most of them may work for most people, but not for you.
Some of these troubleshooting tips may ask you to go into some files, delete or rename a specific file, relaunch, repeat, etc etc. What if there was an easier way?

You can stop getting angry and throwing your keyboard at your cat, I've found a much easier way of fixing your life problems!

All you have to do to get these two games to work, and probably many other games, is to simply disable Windows Aero.
Okay, so it doesn't solve all your life problems, such as the stress at work or planning your cats funeral, but it does solve the more important ones, such as playing a video game.

The below article will teach you step by step how to disable Windows Aero. (Or enable)
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-aero-on-windows-vista/
The article also offers pretty pictures for those people who have ripped out to much hair because of a game you just bought that doesn't work.

If this helped you, please leave a comment. If not, leave a comment anyways.

(PS: I am not a cat hater, I love cats. I love all furry and fuzzy things with legs)

Wiiplay
04-29-2010, 02:54 PM
This tutorial also works with the following games.

Max Payne (32 bit)

More games will be added when more games are tested.

T@F
04-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Nothing to do with aero tbh.
I'm running win 7 with aero running and gta3/vc/sa/Iv are all running fine.

Wiiplay
04-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Nothing to do with aero tbh.
I'm running win 7 with aero running and gta3/vc/sa/Iv are all running fine.

Disabling Aero fixed my problems, so I thought I'd share it here.

If you are not experiencing any type of problems, then honestly, you're lucky. :)

Vice City would not run at all until I disabled Aero. If I enable Aero again, the game will not launch, and will simply quit me back to my desktop.

Again, it's worth a shot. Simple, and just very well might fix someones problems. :cool:

petercrab5
04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Disabling Aero fixed my problems, so I thought I'd share it here.

If you are not experiencing any type of problems, then honestly, you're lucky. :)

Vice City would not run at all until I disabled Aero. If I enable Aero again, the game will not launch, and will simply quit me back to my desktop.

Again, it's worth a shot. Simple, and just very well might fix someones problems. :cool:

thanks this helped

Wiiplay
04-30-2010, 06:35 PM
thanks this helped

Disabling Aero resolved your problems?
I'm glad to help. :cool:

SgtMathias
05-01-2010, 01:36 AM
Thank you for the help Wiiplay. It works for me perfectly.

Wiiplay
07-27-2010, 04:22 AM
Sorry for not being on in a while.

Does anyone still play Vice City? :D

RedDragon513
07-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Does anyone still play Vice City? :D

I do :D
In my opinion Vice City and San Andreas are much better than IV anyway :D

Wiiplay
07-27-2010, 05:34 AM
I do :D
In my opinion Vice City and San Andreas are much better than IV anyway :D

I enjoyed GTA 4. But I also enjoyed Vice City and San Andreas back in the day. Although, when I compare those two games to the games we have now, I simply laugh.
It's hard to imagine that I once thought those graphics were good. I'll probably be thinking the exact same thing ten years from now about todays games. :D

I love games. :cool:

FulValBot (ITA)
07-27-2010, 06:07 AM
the real fix is close explorer.exe

this bug appear only on steam version....

Wiiplay
07-27-2010, 06:25 AM
the real fix is close explorer.exe

Yes, but doing that will scare a lot of people.
When you are unexperienced with computers, you rely very heavily on the graphical user interface. Explorer.exe is the graphical user interface.

If people are experienced enough to disable and enable explorer.exe, then go right ahead. I still believe that disabling Aero works. It wont work for everyone, but it works for me, so, why complicate things?

Wiiplay
05-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Sorry for the late response.
Manhunt also seems to work with Windows Vista (not 7) if you disabled Windows Aero.
But that could just be for me. Can anyone else confirm this?

masta121
05-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Does this fix the "Please Insert CD" issue?

Wiiplay
05-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Does this fix the "Please Insert CD" issue?

I'm not entirely sure, but it's worth a try.

If it fixes that issue, please let us know.

masta121
05-25-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm not entirely sure, but it's worth a try.

If it fixes that issue, please let us know.

I'm downloading the game again now. Someone a long time ago said they fixed it by downloading a pirate copy and copying the audio folder (which I'm not doing, because its eelegal).

Nope ,not fixed.

DanDigiMan
09-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Does not work at all for me. :(

FulValBot (ITA)
10-23-2011, 03:14 AM
uhm... can this change fix the Unhandled Exception c0000005 error?...

or i have to contact rockstar support?...

left me dead
10-23-2011, 03:53 AM
If you are having problems with Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, this post may help you to fix your problems.

This guide is for Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: 3 are by far one of the most memorable GTA games created. With the classic GTA gameplay, the games are must buys.
But what happens if the games do not work on your top-of-the-line gaming rig running Windows Vista or Windows 7?

I'm sure by now you've tried a lot of troubleshooting tips found online, most of them may work for most people, but not for you.
Some of these troubleshooting tips may ask you to go into some files, delete or rename a specific file, relaunch, repeat, etc etc. What if there was an easier way?

You can stop getting angry and throwing your keyboard at your cat, I've found a much easier way of fixing your life problems!

All you have to do to get these two games to work, and probably many other games, is to simply disable Windows Aero.
Okay, so it doesn't solve all your life problems, such as the stress at work or planning your cats funeral, but it does solve the more important ones, such as playing a video game.

The below article will teach you step by step how to disable Windows Aero. (Or enable)
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-aero-on-windows-vista/
The article also offers pretty pictures for those people who have ripped out to much hair because of a game you just bought that doesn't work.

If this helped you, please leave a comment. If not, leave a comment anyways.

(PS: I am not a cat hater, I love cats. I love all furry and fuzzy things with legs)

wow just wow man i trayed this on my rig didnt notice any thing (dont have problems with the games just traying preformance) but when i trayed it on my toshiba intel i5 HD lap top it incressed the speed of opining big assed folders full of HD images and the lap top runs faster with no lame gta sa not compitable with this mode lol you rock man.

puppyball
10-23-2011, 02:34 PM
IVE FOUND YET ANOTHER FIX!
Turn on framelimiter.
Yep, that simple.

I turned off aero, and the game still refused to work, and then i turned on framelimiter in options, and now the game works like a charm. :)

Wiiplay
12-23-2011, 04:05 AM
wow just wow man i trayed this on my rig didnt notice any thing (dont have problems with the games just traying preformance) but when i trayed it on my toshiba intel i5 HD lap top it incressed the speed of opining big assed folders full of HD images and the lap top runs faster with no lame gta sa not compitable with this mode lol you rock man.

Glad to have helped :D

Pwnorator
12-23-2011, 07:12 PM
I just want to play san andreas I have vista ultimate 64 and it just crashes at the first mission when big smokes car blows up, I need some help I tried all this stuff and no luck

dellasquare
06-02-2012, 06:24 AM
OMFG
thank you Wiiplay ! it ♥♥♥♥ing works !!!
omg i spent all a day solving this problem but you were a only person who have the perfect answer.
thank you so much.

macbeard
07-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Here's my "fix" to get Vice City running (found on accident):

Try to start the game. Then, open Task Manager, and 'end process' for "gta-vc.exe*32". Start the game again.

Can't tell you why, but it works for me.

Hope someone finds this helpful.