PDA

View Full Version : Why Does EVERYONE Like The L4D Survivors More?

Slithersouls
04-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Eh, maybe it's because everyone finds "PILLZ HEER" funnier than Ellis' noises when taking pills.

iGluttony x
04-29-2010, 03:47 PM
I just like their characters.

Lack of lines is not very good, though.

dwel
04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Because they played l4d first. The people that played l4d2 first like it better. Normal behavior.

amars464
04-29-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't. I some L4D survivors more, and vice versa. I mean my two favorite characters are Louis and Ellis, and I like them equally.

MordGesicht
04-29-2010, 03:52 PM
i like francis the most because he's a straight up bamf

amars464
04-29-2010, 03:55 PM

Awww but Nick is so much better at being a jerk! He doesn't just say that he hates everything (except for money and nice suits of course), he shows us that he hates everything.

iGluttony x
04-29-2010, 03:59 PM

BAMF=Bad-♥♥♥ Mother ♥♥♥♥er?

The Fudolphin
I played L4D1 first, but I'm kind of half and half with the characters. I like Bill, Zoey, and Francis a little bit. But I REALLY like Ellis and Nick. L4D2 has so much more dialogue, and it's much funnier conversations happen. However, Rochelle sucks. No personality whatsoever. Also "Working for the news!" does not count as personality.

The Fudolphin
lol at my grammar.

Tyrarl
04-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Eh, maybe it's because everyone finds "PILLZ HEER" funnier than Ellis' noises when taking pills.

Personal preference.

/endthread

amars464
04-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Also "Working for the news!" does not count as personality.

I wonder if she's covered wars, you know?

rahnyc4
04-29-2010, 04:02 PM
I played L4D1 first, but I'm kind of half and half with the characters. I like Bill, Zoey, and Francis a little bit. But I REALLY like Ellis and Nick. L4D2 has so much more dialogue, and it's much funnier conversations happen. However, Rochelle sucks. No personality whatsoever. Also "Working for the news!" does not count as personality.it would be eaiser to just say "i like all the white survivors in left 4 dead" ;)

anyway, i just like rochelle. I really don't care for any of the other members. everyone else is just too clique to me, atleast when it comes to the video game world.

The Fudolphin
04-29-2010, 04:05 PM
it would be eaiser to just say "i like all the white survivors in left 4 dead" ;)

anyway, i just like rochelle. I really don't care for any of the other members. everyone else is just too clique to me, atleast when it comes to the video game world.

Actually, come to think of it, you're right. I like Louis okay, but I've really just grown tired of him with the whole "HAHA LOUIS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT LIKES PILLS" thing.

spongewig
04-29-2010, 04:08 PM
l4d1 survivors just play off eachother better. they're more likable. they're more recognisable zombie movie cliches.

amars464
04-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Actually, come to think of it, you're right. I like Louis okay, but I've really just grown tired of him with the whole "HAHA LOUIS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT LIKES PILLS" thing.

Bah, I like Louis because he's like the nicest guy ever during the zombie plague. It's hilarious to me.

The Fudolphin
04-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Bah, I like Louis because he's like the nicest guy ever during the zombie plague. It's hilarious to me.

Ya. I used to fee that way too. I think it has more to do with all my friends being meme♥♥♥♥ and annoying the piss out of me.

Jakkhali
04-29-2010, 04:13 PM

I like him because he's polite and positive and kind

And then you hear his PlayerTaunts

And you think he's ♥♥♥♥ing insane

Sgt. AIDS LOL
04-29-2010, 04:14 PM
For me, I like the original cast better because playing left 4 dead originally was a truly awesome experience. I hadn't seen a game like it, personally, and the format really drew me in. Zombies are awesome, the characters and the lack of a straightfoward plot just really enamoured me.

L4D2 was just basically the same game with different stuff. It didn't catch my wonder the same way, because at that point I'd already played a game extremely similar to it, L4D1.

It's the nostalgia from first playing the game and really getting into it.

Goodmonson
04-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Nick = better than francis because nick is the best character in all of left 4 dead
zoey = better than rochelle because rochelle is ONLY good in the passing
ellis and louis are tied, their both hilarious... though louis is only funny because of internet memes like PEELZ, hes not funny ingame
coach and bill both suck, coach is too preachy and hes usually not even right, and bill is just kinda....... old

CosmicD
04-29-2010, 04:16 PM
well my ideal bunch would be louis, coach ellis and zoey :)

amars464
04-29-2010, 04:20 PM
While Coach is pretty far down on my list of favorites, I do have to say that I love the part in Swamp Fever when he starts praying. I think that is just such a great moment for that character.

TAK The Voyager
04-29-2010, 04:22 PM
As much as I liked the L4D crew, I really like the L4D2 characters better. Because I have friends and know other people who are just like them. There more relateable to me.

Mr. Someguy
Because Bill is pure awesome.
Francis is a jerkass who cares.
And Zoey is just so.. :3

IcySpykes
Bill is a grouchy old vet with alot to teach those around him. *Like*
Zoey is a gamer, and fairly cute for a character. *Like*
Louis is just an everyman character, also he dresses like Shaun. *Like*
Francis is just a bamf. *Like*
Coach is bear of a man and that comes through in his personality. *like*
Nick is the well dressed version of Francis *Like*
Ellis is an easily amused, and very amusing. *Favorite*
Rochelle feels out of place, literally, her lines paint her as feeling out of place and uncomfortable, making corny jokes that nobody laughs at, and just generally blending in. *Understandable, but still my least favorite*
They all have their merits, some people connect with certain characters more, it happns.

Rekku64
04-29-2010, 04:48 PM
More realistic reactions. ie, when Ellis dies, all Coach says is 'Bye, Ellis.' When Zoey dies in L4D1, Louis goes 'Zoey! ZOEY! *sobs* Oh god damnit'

Kurata
04-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Rochelle feels out of place, literally, her lines paint her as feeling out of place and uncomfortable, making corny jokes that nobody laughs at, and just generally blending in. *Understandable, but still my least favorite*
They all have their merits, some people connect with certain characters more, it happns.

Wasn't Zoey a movie nerd?
I don't think Nick is the well dressed version of Nick. Francis is more like, I enjoy shooting everything that comes across and making fun of everybody. Nick is more a "why the ♥♥♥♥ are you still here? oh yeah, zombies" guy.

Frost
04-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Before The Passing, I strongly felt that the first games survivors were better. After, I am kind of between, because the lines are actually decent now.

Zombie_Ellis
04-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Ellis is my favorite (I'm wearing his hat right now, wear it freakin' everywhere), then Nick,Bill(RIP),Louis, Zoey, Coach, Francis then Rochelle in last(not that I dislike her, I just don't like her as much as the others). But I've always thought L4D2 was the better game so...yea. Preferences.

The_Garden
04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
I played L4D1 first but I just never liked any of the original survivors myself, Ellis finally saved it for me

Survivorman
04-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Because they played l4d first. The people that played l4d2 first like it better. Normal behavior.

Yeah exactly. That's why I like the left 4 dead characters more. There's more memories of playing with them, but there's not really a difference.

Scorpion1855
04-29-2010, 05:11 PM
I like everyone except Zoey.

Wazanator
04-29-2010, 05:24 PM
I wonder if she's covered wars, you know?

I lol'd. To bad no one requested this line when they were taking voice over requests for mappers :(

Anyway back on topic:
Personally if I had to choose 4 survivors I would go with Nick, Ellis, Francis, and Louis.

failspy
04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
They have better lines. Pillz heer turned into a minor meme, what do we have from L4D2 that is meme worthy?

socrfan
04-29-2010, 05:27 PM

I like the first better too (not because they're funny) but you can only laugh at something for so long until it's no longer funny.

Newlemming
04-29-2010, 05:30 PM
I like(d) all 4 of the originals, but I only like Coach, Nick, and Ellis of L4D2.

I don't like Rochelle because she's kind of rude.. and her taunts suck. I seriously can't taunt anyone as her.

Cheesewheel
04-29-2010, 05:39 PM
l4d2 has rochelle

HankJ.
04-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't like Zoey because in my opinion it seems she was only designed to appeal to nerds. She is cute, nice and a nerd. Bleh.

But I kinda like Rochelle because I don't like her. May sound weird but she "feels" sort of real i.e. someone you would encounter IRL. She is not over the top - sometimes she is rude and mean and sometimes she is just being nice, especially to Ellis. But I have to agree that on the other hand she does indeed has too few lines.

Nick and Ellis are awesome, really. Coach is kinda like meh because he's your typical middle aged guy with a simple mind. I can imagine that his only hobbies are eating, remembering his good ol' football days and watching TV. Not really interesting if you ask me.

Bill and Francis are cool, too. Not much to say about these guys.

Louis... well, the only remarkable thing about him is "PEELZ HERE". Doesn't have much of a personality somehow. Like Coach he is your average guy around the corner.

Belgian_Waffles
04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
They have better lines. Pillz heer turned into a minor meme, what do we have from L4D2 that is meme worthy?

Keith stories

mikeloeven
04-29-2010, 05:46 PM
because l4d still has fun servers with 5000 witches low gravity and infinate molys

Phsuke
04-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Keith stories

Cheeseburger Apocalypse
Chocolate Helicopters
♥♥♥♥!
I love hawrses.

xxxVJ300xxx
04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Because the L4D1 survivors are classic. That and none of them had annoying voices, *cough* Rochelle.

snacks289
04-29-2010, 05:50 PM
I think it's mainly Nick and Rochelle. Nick isn't as amusingly whiny because his complaints are legitimate and he's genuinely annoyed, whereas Francis's complaints are awesomely stupid and pointless. His voice acting is also too strained. Remember "they're shooting the people?" Not nearly up to Valve's standard.
And Rochelle is just horrible. Absolutely the worst character Valve has ever created. She rarely talks, and when she does, it's not even the slightest bit funny. Her jokes are lame and awkward, her personality doesn't exist, there is nothing good about her.
Plus there just isn't much going on. You can also see the relationships between L4D characters, whereas the L4D2 characters barely even talk. None of them make fun of each other or particularly care for each other. There's just nothing going on.

BadReligion
04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
I think both sets of survivors are good but the l4d1 guys just seem to have more personality .

Phsuke
04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
I think it's mainly Nick and Rochelle. Nick isn't as amusingly whiny because his complaints are legitimate and he's genuinely annoyed, whereas Francis's complaints are awesomely stupid and pointless. His voice acting is also too strained. Remember "they're shooting the people?" Not nearly up to Valve's standard.
And Rochelle is just horrible. Absolutely the worst character Valve has ever created. She rarely talks, and when she does, it's not even the slightest bit funny. Her jokes are lame and awkward, her personality doesn't exist, there is nothing good about her.
Plus there just isn't much going on. You can also see the relationships between L4D characters, whereas the L4D2 characters barely even talk. None of them make fun of each other or particularly care for each other. There's just nothing going on.

I wouldn't say they never talk about each other.. Nick makes fun of just about everyone, while he is a whiney cynical ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, it is what makes him kind of funny. He is so very serious, so OCD and concerned about himself in such an untypical situation. Ellis speaks of everyone, especially (for some reason) likes to think Nick is his buddy though Nick hates him. Coach is there to try to keep it together, though he has his share of funny lines - especially to do with food or when he gets upset-- its so over the top its hilarious.

Rochelle is the most perplexing, but perhaps the most realistic. Sometimes she's nice, sometimes she is a rude, selfish and even scared. She is not throwing out lines like the others or acting so enthusiastically (as Ellis) so cynically/selfishly (Like Nick) or being super positive (like Coach). She is the closest thing to Louis, minus all the optimism. Perhaps closer to how a real person may react to the WORLD ENDING FROM ZOMBIE INFESTATION. I mean, as 'cute' as everyone finds Zoey's random blurts of movie-quotes (which somehow quoting stuff and being cute makes a super awesome character according to the L4D community) how annoying would it be if you were traveling with this girl who randomly quotes Aliens whilst your being disembowled by a hunter?

Also I think Rochelle's lines are suppose to be awkward and strange, Zoey's were too, the only difference is she is quoting movies.

snacks289
04-29-2010, 06:01 PM
No, you're thinking too hard. This is a game about killing hundreds of zombies with your friends or people on the interwebs, and Rochelle is a boring character given that she is in this game. I think that's all there is to it.

HankJ.
04-29-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't think Nick actually hates Ellis. It's a coop game after all and it would be awkward to be out of character every time you play Nick and rescue someone or giving them peels/medkits/heroin.

Nick is just a very cynical/sarcastic person.

JokersFlame
04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Because though I love them both I played L4D WAAAAAAAAY before I played L4D2.

Kurata
04-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't think Nick actually hates Ellis. It's a coop game after all and it would be awkward to be out of character every time you play Nick and rescue someone or giving them peels/medkits/heroin.

Nick is just a very cynical/sarcastic person.

"I...We need still need you" or something like that.
He rescue because of needs, not because of will.

mjvwolfe
04-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Meh, I like L4D survivors more just because I feel more of a connection to them, L4D had an atmosphere that made it feel a lot more serious, like your in an actual zombie apocalypse.

L4D2 seems like I'm playing just a zombie apocalypse game, never have I been able to tell myself "wow, this is just like a real life apocalypse!" I've always had the thought on my mind "it's just a computer game, really nothing more"

I mean I felt the same way playing L4D, I think I'd be a little crazy to actually take L4D seriously like it was a real apocalypse.

But briefly while playing L4D I sort of forgot I was just playing a game, and I was actually trying to survive zombies with my friends, and make it to the safe room to be rescued, it really connected me to the characters.

I can't say I know why, but that's generally why I like the old ones better.

DSSharingan
04-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm going to sum up my reason for liking the l4d1 characters better than l4d2 in the great dialogue of the L4d1 characters. To quote the great Zoey,

"Game over man, game over!"

HankJ.
04-29-2010, 06:35 PM
"I...We need still need you" or something like that.
He rescue because of needs, not because of will.

Well, that's the reason why all survivors team up in the first place. But you can see how Nick grows fond of the others throughout the campaigns. Just compare his lines in Dead Center and the ones in The Parish.

Flying Ace
04-29-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't. I some L4D survivors more, and vice versa. I mean my two favorite characters are Louis and Ellis, and I like them equally.

yus! agreed

Terracotta Pie!
04-29-2010, 06:50 PM
I kinda like all of em to be honest. Nick is friggen awesome though.

Bullett00th
04-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Awww but Nick is so much better at being a jerk! He doesn't just say that he hates everything (except for money and nice suits of course), he shows us that he hates everything.

Francis is kind of a lovable jerk. he's a jerk but he's funny. Nick is just a common everyday jerk you often meet irl

BretHart007
04-29-2010, 09:06 PM
The survivors in the first one actually care about each other and try to help each other out in a zombie apocolypse. The 2nd guys are boring, flat, redunant. It's like they took zombie killing courses at the YMCA.

FireMarshal Bil
04-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Who is this player EVERYONE?

does he play versus or campaign mode?

and can you explain why he/she likes l4d better? i mean im confused becasue you cant mean everyone everyone who plays the game right? becasue that means you have taken it upon yourself to speak for everyone,, and pal you dont speak ♥♥♥♥ for me, so dont use vauge coverall terms.

and why drag out the old flame ridden discussion USE THE ♥♥♥♥ING SEARCH FUNCTION and reply to the 634 OTHER l4d vs l4d2 character topics why dont you then you can see how many people just dont care becasue they dont play the game for vocie acting and skin color.

but do please continue to make worthless wastes of the communites time topics like this one.

i like all 8 survivors. i prefer nicks character.

that is all.

JOBE!!!
04-29-2010, 09:14 PM
I really like Ellis, Zoey, Nick, and Bill.

Dead Nerd
04-29-2010, 09:45 PM
I just got connected with them more because at the time I thought L4D was the only one so you're like "Bill!" and now L4D2 is mainly for new campaigns and stuff.

Zippy
04-29-2010, 09:48 PM
I like both sets of Survivors equally.

Friendliest
04-29-2010, 09:54 PM
re: topic

Cuz L4D was a relatively original game and not just a trite attempted cash-grab?

L4D1 is a dark game with a relatively gloomy cast; it fits. In addition, except for Ellis, the characters in 2 don't come anywhere near embodying their target stereotypes enough to make them "lovable".

Coach should be more jocked-out psycho, nick should be even more machiavellian -- hinting on abandoning/betraying the others and whatnot, and rochelle..... well, she should probably just shut the hell up.

No, actually, since her target stereotype is most nearly "generic dumb b****", maybe she should just constantly chat inane stuff? Er wait then that would be too much like zoey.

Don't really care about the chars/story one lick, to be honest. It's all about the gameplay, aka guns and what u shoot them at.

Now if u will excuse me, I have not logged into steam in a few days, so it's my turn to be sodomized by the self-updater aka new version.

xX_Renegade_Xx
04-29-2010, 10:24 PM

Not in my case, maybe I'm not normal :eek:

I tried the demo of L4D2 first before I'd even played L4D, I thought the demo was OK but I really wanted to find out why everyone considered the original a better game, I found out the first night I played it.

For me it's more atmospheric, I actually care about keeping the survivors in the original alive whereas in L4D2 I'm not really bothered, I won't just give a survivor up for nothing mind, you'll have to kill me to take a survivor down as I will protect any team member but if I get incapped in L4D2 I don't really care as much as I do in the original.

MattNF
04-29-2010, 10:27 PM
The l4d1 cast just has more synergy together, and create more memorable moments and they seem more realistic. And there's no Rochelle. ;)

Goodmonson
04-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Who is this player EVERYONE?

does he play versus or campaign mode?

and can you explain why he/she likes l4d better? i mean im confused becasue you cant mean everyone everyone who plays the game right? becasue that means you have taken it upon yourself to speak for everyone,, and pal you dont speak ♥♥♥♥ for me, so dont use vauge coverall terms.

and why drag out the old flame ridden discussion USE THE ♥♥♥♥ING SEARCH FUNCTION and reply to the 634 OTHER l4d vs l4d2 character topics why dont you then you can see how many people just dont care becasue they dont play the game for vocie acting and skin color.

but do please continue to make worthless wastes of the communites time topics like this one.

i like all 8 survivors. i prefer nicks character.

that is all.

well said i agree 100%, especially the nick part :cool:

AllTheWay
04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
I don't. Perhaps becuase the L4D1 survivors had such opposite extremes as far as personality goes.

shadowpawn12
04-29-2010, 10:38 PM

no they killed off the only bamf ...rip Bill
but after Bill its Nick all the way

Wolvenlight
04-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Not everyone does.

I'd end thread, but hey, why stop the discussion?

EDIT: Okay fine...

Only thing I'll say is, I actually like Rochelle. She shows interest in the other survivors lives, particularly Ellis, asking about his tattoo and encouraging him in all matters Zoey related.

As for L4D V L4D2 Survivors... I don't really prefer one over the other, but I've gotten used to the joking and the Ellis stories, so I'll say I'm a bigger fan of the 2 cast.

Koga Shiro
04-30-2010, 12:48 AM
I played L4D1 first, but I'm kind of half and half with the characters. I like Bill, Zoey, and Francis a little bit. But I REALLY like Ellis and Nick. L4D2 has so much more dialogue, and it's much funnier conversations happen. However, Rochelle sucks. No personality whatsoever. Also "Working for the news!" does not count as personality.

it would be eaiser to just say "i like all the white survivors in left 4 dead" ;)

I usually think I'm the only one who notices these things. ;)

Level0Ubersaw
04-30-2010, 12:53 AM
I liked Louis even before I heard the "Pills here" joke.

Goodmonson
04-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Bill is old, coach is fat, francis hates everything, louis is gunna die of an overdose before the zombies kill him, ellis is going to be killed by a zombie horse, rochelle will bore herself to death, valve will surprise us by zoey tripping into a pack of headcrabs, and nick will be motorboating zombies to death well wearing an asshat and a suit, need i say more?

nick has earned survival don't get attached to anyone else

Ellemar
04-30-2010, 01:55 AM
The only L4D2 survivor I don't particularly like is Rochelle, but only because she has boring dialogue.

Teraku
04-30-2010, 02:22 AM
I'll say in 1 sentence why the original cast was much better:

Left 4 Dead wasn't rushed, and the game was polished to perfection, but L4D2 didn't have that, it was just a rushed game.

two2litres
04-30-2010, 02:33 AM
Conditioning.
L4D fresh exciting, great experience.
L4D2 starting to get repetitive, decent experience.
You will attach those experiences to their related group of survivors and there you go.

Goodmonson
04-30-2010, 02:36 AM
I'll say in 1 sentence why the original cast was much better:

Left 4 Dead wasn't rushed, and the game was polished to perfection, but L4D2 didn't have that, it was just a rushed game.

totally polished with the amazing six guns and 4 half hour campaigns that didn't differ from eachother or connect in any way shape or form, copy paste finales and crescendos and like half the dialogue and no personality between the characters unless you count francis hating things...
yeah lfd was polished for sure

two2litres
04-30-2010, 02:41 AM
totally polished with the amazing six guns and 4 half hour campaigns that didn't differ from eachother or connect in any way shape or form, copy paste finales and crescendos and like half the dialogue and no personality between the characters unless you count francis hating things...
yeah lfd was polished for sure

What the hell are you talking about. Most, if not all, the spit and polish you see in L4D2 was perfected in L4D1 and then just copied over.

Jäveln
04-30-2010, 03:31 AM
i like zoey francis and bill and the feel of thee chaos in l4d1 in l4d2 its just ops it happened just park some cars here and have a fire there

YahooElite
04-30-2010, 03:34 AM
Better voice acting and voices in my opinion, but i dont really like one or the other better though.. but the L4D1 crew does have more interactions and better voice acting..

Plus, those that "grew up" with L4D1 will probably tend to like those characters better then L4D2..

Its a what your used to and what you come into contact with first kind of thing i think..

freakheaven
04-30-2010, 03:37 AM
Thread title is poor. I personally like the 2nd group better.

ToLazyToThink
04-30-2010, 03:37 AM
More realistic reactions. ie, when Ellis dies, all Coach says is 'Bye, Ellis.' When Zoey dies in L4D1, Louis goes 'Zoey! ZOEY! *sobs* Oh god damnit'

Umm...I think you have a bit of a selection bias going on there.

"I'm gonna miss that man....and his gun"

"How well do you really know Louis?"

"The manager is down for the count."

"I was just starting to like that guy."

"We're just leaving Louis out there? I mean... I'm cool with that... if, everyone else is."

"Zoey! My plans! MY PLANS!!"

misfit410
04-30-2010, 04:59 AM
Coach is probably my favorite character of all time..
I think the original 4 had more tension between them and it was just more funny..

of course I am one of the few people who does not hate Rochelle.. she's not the greatest but still has more personality than Louis.

Zan Mura
04-30-2010, 05:11 AM

Quite true. Same phenomenon people have when books are made to movies or movies get a sequel etc. Most people get stuck in routines and have a problem with gilded memories. It's the typical "the old days were better" syndrome.

I'd rate the survivors like so:
Francis
Zoey
Rochelle
Nick
Coach
Louis
Bill
Ellis

ItaGogeta1
04-30-2010, 05:13 AM
I really like Nick and Ellis...but I love Zoey, Francis, Louis and Bill!

Smurffle
04-30-2010, 05:17 AM
I just think they where more suited for the game. We have some classic types. An old war vet, a grumpy guy who hates everything, a office guy who doesnt really know what to do and is the most realistic guy and a teenage girl.

L4d was meant to be like a film and l4d people just sound more like a film cast than the l4d2 ones.

Level0Ubersaw
04-30-2010, 05:24 AM
In the end, it bubbles down to preferences. Some people will like the new survivors, others(like me) will think they're hardly that funny or great when compared to the originals.

I think people would have been much more accepting to a new crew after about 3 years, because it would've been a lot more like a sequel rather then a evolution of the previous game. Left 4 Dead had, by no means, lost it's selling capabilities, it was an easily marketable and unique game. Unfortunately, Valve, being the greedy capitalists they are, made this one year dash and tore the community in half.

liamsharkey
04-30-2010, 05:39 AM
because bill= chuck freakin norris ON STEROIDS

Ash..Housewares
04-30-2010, 06:18 AM

Bill: "I'll see peace back on Earth if I gotta murder every one of these bastards with my bare ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ hands!" Who knew crotchety could kick so much ♥♥♥. He's my fav l4d1 character

Zoey: Cute gamer chick...she's my second fav in l4d 1.

Louis and Francis: They don't really give me the chuckles like most other folks. The piills thing and the van hating are mildly amusing, but I wish one of them died in the passing instead of Bill.

Nick: His character pretty much reminds me of me so it's the closest thing to surviving a zombie apocolypse myself! He's my favorite l4d2 character

The other l4d2 chars are mostly funny on how they interact with Nick, but Coach and his appetite are the funniest. The intro to l4d2 where Nick and Coach interact while running up the stairs always gives me a chuckle. His cheeseburger apocolypse is epic as well.

Ellis's bumpkin-ness is mildly amusing and Rochelle is ok.

MordGesicht
04-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Louis was originally supposed to look like a gangsta... for ya'll who didn't know hehe

peteypiranha128
04-30-2010, 06:44 AM
its because they're just more lovable.
A serious army vet, a cute teenaged girl, an optimistic businessman, and an angry tough as nails biker...

The new survivors are kinda meh personality wise... They're less believable too...
-A food obsessed fat football coach (okay, I love coach :) )
-A wacky mechanic that seems to be there entirely for comic relief (I love ellis, but he's far to goofy to be taken seriously, and he takes away from the atmosphere of the game)
-A young reporter....who utterly has no personality whatsoever... Rochelle's cool. I like her, but she's just not interesting at all.
-A ♥♥♥♥ named nick. That's all I can say. Nick isn't lovable or realistic. He looks like he's straight out of a mafia movie, and he's just a jerk. I appreciate him, but meh...

The L4D1 survivors will always be the best foursome of video game characters in my book...

visual.noise
04-30-2010, 06:46 AM
more funny dialogue between the L4D survivors than L4D2. only ellis ever says anything funny in L4D2. nick is just a big jerk. rochelle is annoying as hell, and coach wont ever shut up about food. yea fat guy jokes can only take you so far.

Banned_user
04-30-2010, 06:56 AM
They just have more character. You can tell more thought went into their creation. Each one seems like a compilation of character types from many zombie movies. Example Louis - night of the living dead.

Ash..Housewares
04-30-2010, 07:12 AM
My survivor team:

Bill
Zoey
Nick
Coach

Land-shark
04-30-2010, 07:16 AM

WUBUBUBUBUBU Is already a meme.

CKarinja
04-30-2010, 07:59 AM
I used to think that I only liked the old survivors. But after playing L4D2, I can definitely say that I love Ellis. He is my favorite character, I just love his personality. And I like both Nick and Coach, but I just don't like Rochelle. There is something about her I do not like. And I loved all of the old survivors, and hate to see that Bill was the one that died. In L4D, I didn't care who I played as. In L4D2, I prefer to play as Ellis (Sometimes Nick or Coach), while my friend takes Coach.

Predator97
04-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Played L4D2 technically first since I only got like a month or so playing L4D1 before L4D2 was released.

Here's the reasons why I like both games and why I dislike them:

L4D1:

Pro: Darker and Grittier settings adding to the whole survival thing.
Pro: Weapons are limited and so are supplies so you have to becareful when you use stuff.
Pro: Versus mode caters to infected at times giving good areas to ambush survivors.
Con: Weapons are limited and no real variety which is a double edged sword.
Con: Witch is ungodly hard and can prove to be a huge problem when it shouldn't be.
Con: There's great opportunity for much more to be done with the game, but feels a tad unfinished.

L4D2:

Pro: Weapon variety is improved with a wider selection to go through.
Pro: I love seeing the flying blood streamers symbolizing intestines flying through the air after a pipe bomb.
Pro: Charger, Jockey and Spitter add some more depth with the spitter being the best one imho. Campers you are SCREWED
Con: Maps are catered to survivors more than infected being very open. The Passing really brought back the L4D1 feeling adding certain L4D2 twists. *The Sewer Run*
Con: Melee weapons while great can be a bit OPed in certain areas. Really saddens me seeing people plow through hordes with fire axes and defeating the boomer's vomit.
Con: Infected Shortcomings are prevalent in the open areas. Really sad to see a beautiful 25dmg pounce destroyed by skeeters with the sniper rifle.

Survivor wise the L4D1 survivors just seem more rag tag opposed to L4D2 which seems cliched. I mean put glasses on coach and change out the OP you got the classic nerd. Ellis is the standard controversy/believer that this was going to happen. Nick is the typical A-Hole sleeze ball, but does has his funny moments like ellis where he stands out. As for Rochelle well she's the typical last women on earth scenario kind of like Zoey imho.

Just don't really see the depth of the characters there like you do in L4D1. The L4D1 had a great intro as well where you see why Bill is cautious gives some background to the witch.

karnyboy
04-30-2010, 08:51 AM
You never forget your first love.

Deadly
04-30-2010, 08:54 AM
I followed the original survivors for years. The L4D2 survivors came out of the blue.

Plus rednecks make me angry.

MarkSamurai5
04-30-2010, 08:58 AM

Ellis addicted to adrenaline shots & he goes, WUBUBUBUBUBUBU and and you can add KiddyLand to Ellis's addiction too :D

visual.noise
04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
They just have more character. You can tell more thought went into their creation. Each one seems like a compilation of character types from many zombie movies. Example Louis - night of the living dead.

and shaun of the dead.

HighFlyer15
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
HELL NO!!!
Louis' "pills here" can burn in hell for all I care.. People took that as "funny" waaaay too much.. It wasn't even funny to begin with..

Phaseshifter
04-30-2010, 12:57 PM
CHaracters with personalities are more interesting than those without.

Alexx17
04-30-2010, 01:06 PM
I like the L4D survivors better because they seem more believable. Roughened after two weeks of fighting zombies, and a lifetime of "training" (such as watching zombie movies/being in a war/running from the law/ counter strike).

I just find it hard to believe characters like Rochelle or Coach know how to handle themselves first try.

Kurata
04-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Pro: Weapons are limited and so are supplies so you have to becareful when you use stuff.

Con: Weapons are limited and no real variety which is a double edged sword.

What.
I hope you're kidding?

You just have to take the autoshotgun, and run through the level sniping with it, if you ever fall outta ammo, it means you've been ♥♥♥♥ing around, that's all. Your pistols is a power house anyway.

Fedecooldude
04-30-2010, 01:59 PM
I like the L4D survivors better because they seem more believable. Roughened after two weeks of fighting zombies, and a lifetime of "training" (such as watching zombie movies/being in a war/running from the law/ counter strike).

I just find it hard to believe characters like Rochelle or Coach know how to handle themselves first try.

Sure, watching zombie movies and playing counter strike really improves your range. Actually, Louis used to hit rifle range and be laughted at. Aint so funny now, is it?

intown
04-30-2010, 02:01 PM
not only do I like the original survivors better I kinda like the original game better also.

it feels alot less arcade and more horror

ManicMayo
02-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Overall I like the survivors from both games but nothing compares to the good old fashioned "GRABBIN PEELZ"

Zeratulz
02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Necropost much?

prophecy holder
02-27-2011, 11:15 AM
l4d1 survivors just play off eachother better. they're more likable. they're more recognisable zombie movie cliches.

This, whens the last time you saw a big black man constantly talking about hamburgers? A theif with a 20k suit with a heart of gold or a black news lady who quotes Anchorman?

L4D survivors are people you can meet in real life, L4D2 survivors are people you only meet in a video game.

xxxVJ300xxx
02-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Because when somebody dies, at least the L4D1 survivors sound sad about it.

Example of L4D2: Rochelle dies. Nick "Rochelle"
Example of L4D1: Zoey dies. Louis "Nooo! Zoey!"

Another example is the l4d2 survivors take the zombie apocalypse like its a joke and its the "thrill" they always wanted in their life. To put it simple, l4d2 survivors are almost emotionless.

Ceral4d
02-27-2011, 11:41 AM
i like both sets of survivors. but rochelle is horrible.

most people like the first set better cause louis and francis play off each other great, zoeys hot, and bills a badass old man

nekrocop
02-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Explanation. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773704)

Sublime2k
02-27-2011, 01:19 PM
I like L4D1 characters equally and I dislike L4D2 characters equally, only exception is Rochelle, I dislike her the most.

But it's just a game, so what the hell.

Rapture98
02-27-2011, 05:03 PM

is it just me, or did this post make no sense...

Rapture98
02-27-2011, 05:06 PM

this...

iskander
02-27-2011, 06:45 PM
The four new survivors are annoying, stereotypical caricatures.

Hivomnomnom
02-27-2011, 06:55 PM

I actually like Rochelle now that I downloaded a MW2 skin pack. She is now Ghost.

I don't even like MW2, but it's hard to go wrong with it in L4D2. If anything, it's more realistic for military peoples to be running around with desert eagles and m16's than random civilians.

Euclix
02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
I think it's because the characters are cooler. It's as simple as that. L4d2 characters are supposed to be regular people therefore they are not that cool and are less popular. Personally, I like new characters a little more because they are more funny.

I bet if the l4d2 cast consisted of a fireman, a police officer, a scientist, or some other equally interesting archetype, people wouldn't be so polarized on the issue.

Rapture98
02-27-2011, 07:21 PM
HELL NO!!!
Louis' "pills here" can burn in hell for all I care.. People took that as "funny" waaaay too much.. It wasn't even funny to begin with..

this too...

mariobro123587
02-28-2011, 12:25 AM
2 words: PILLZ HERE
•runs•
:D
loljoke
WUBUBU FTW!