PDA

View Full Version : Disable Steam cloud?

Jani666
04-30-2010, 06:30 PM
I donít need and I donít want the Steam cloud. It only messes things up. Can I disable it?
And what is the difference between an online and an offline profile? Both try to use Steam cloud.
Most off the time I play offline and I donít want all these Steam cloud pop-ups every time I start the game.
But I am afraid there is no way to turn that off?

EnsignBlue
05-04-2010, 08:58 PM
You cannot "disable" Steam Cloud, you can merely choose whether or not your profile is going to use it. An Online profile uses Steam Cloud to keep your data saved to your Steam profile and thus be constantly available from every computer, an offline profile does not and all information is stored locally and not redistributed when you redownload the game.

Jani666
05-05-2010, 05:41 AM
an offline profile does not and all information is stored locally and not redistributed when you redownload the game.

Thatīs why I am a bit confused. I am using an offline profile in the game, but if I start it I always get the message that the data can not be synchronized with steam cloud etc.
Not a big deal, but it bugs me.
And there is always the possibility that I accidentally press the wrong button when I start the game online and download my old game progress. Then my actual game progress is lost.
I am not a fan of this cloud stuff. :(

Amander
06-26-2010, 05:13 AM
Steamcloud actually works well. It doesn't destroy your game progress either. All it does is uploading your saved states to Valve when you quit the game.

HateTheDrake
07-03-2010, 04:23 PM
and at this point you can disable the cloud globally or per game.

LouNGeR
07-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Yes, the last update has brought us these options, thank you Valve for listening!!

ozgeek
08-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Someday you will wish you had this enabled. Hard drive failure, reformat and forgot to backup the savegames, want to play on another PC. You disable Steam cloud, then you on your own.

HateTheDrake
08-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Someday you will wish you had this enabled. Hard drive failure, reformat and forgot to backup the savegames, want to play on another PC. You disable Steam cloud, then you on your own.

lol, fire and brimstone. People are smart enough to decide when or when not to enable the cloud...

hatemf90
09-14-2010, 06:02 AM
so where exactly in the options can I disable cloud globally or per game? :confused:

TJF588
09-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Globally = urr-durr
Steam (upper-left), Settings, Downloads + Cloud, un-check "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for games which support it"

Per game = time for right-clicking
In the Games section of the Library, right-click a game, Properties, Updates, un-check "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for [game name]"

hatemf90
09-15-2010, 05:01 PM
that option is only in valve games but thanks anyway.

repped.

TJF588
09-15-2010, 09:40 PM
that option is only in valve games but thanks anyway.
wut? Steam Cloud is available for any game the developers decide to integrate it into. Winterbottom is one such game, and it's entirely not a "valve game".

hatemf90
09-16-2010, 02:00 PM
wut? Steam Cloud is available for any game the developers decide to integrate it into. Winterbottom is one such game, and it's entirely not a "valve game".

wut wut? like I said the option under updates tab to disable the cloud thing is only there for source games, thats how I have it here. I checked them 1 by 1.

HateTheDrake
09-16-2010, 02:07 PM
wut wut? like I said the option under updates tab to disable the cloud thing is only there for source games, thats how I have it here. I checked them 1 by 1.

What games do you have?

I agree that the source-based games will have cloud support added first, but I've spotted at least three of mine (non-source) that also support cloud.

PB Winterbottom (as TJF referenced)
Galcon Fusion
Trine

Whereas games like AYIM, Osmos and many others do not have it.