PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP 64-bit users beware!

deepcut
05-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I bought this game in the weekend deal and was one of those who got it quickly enough to get a key, but I have been unable to play it anyway. I've wasted hours over the weekend trying to figure out why and fix it.

It appears that "Games for Windows Live" is currently broken in XP 64.

I eventually found these (http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/10430.aspx) threads (http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/9406.aspx) on the GfW forums with people experiencing the same issues as myself.

I cannot play online at all, and cannot unlock achievements either online or offline.

This apparantely applies to all GfWL games on XP 64 and has been this way for almost 6 months with no resolution from Microsoft.

If you are an XP 64 user and you're interested in playing online or unlocking achievements, I recommend not buying this game unless you are prepared to wait for a fix from Microsoft that may never come.

Kriv
05-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Upgrade to a modern OS?

Selvator
05-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Well no offense but Windows XP is kinda "old" in my opinion, at the moment you are much better of with Windows 7 64Bit.
No problems with GfWL either, so just upgrade and you will be fine, don't expect Micro$oft to do anything about it, they probably want you to upgrade as well.

Fumciasty
05-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Upgrade to a modern OS?

Give him the money to buy a new operating system?

Microsoft loves to screw over their customers with mandatory upgrades and have people pay through their noses for it. Actually, WinXP 64 is just Windows Server 200-something in disguise. But nobody from Microsoft told you that. That's why there are some problems.

I've had it for a brief moment and I *think* GfWL worked fine, but it might have been an older version before they intentionally broke the backwards compatibility.

Sergio100
05-03-2010, 01:20 PM
As long as the store page says XP is supported, the people advising to upgrade to a newer OS need to step back, take a breath, and leave this thread alone :)

My 2 cents.

deepcut
05-03-2010, 01:20 PM
I've had it for a brief moment and I *think* GfWL worked fine, but it might have been an older version before they intentionally broke the backwards compatibility.

From other's posts I understand that it worked fine until the end of November last year.

subyman
05-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Give him the money to buy a new operating system?

Microsoft loves to screw over their customers with mandatory upgrades and have people pay through their noses for it. Actually, WinXP 64 is just Windows Server 200-something in disguise. But nobody from Microsoft told you that. That's why there are some problems.

Uhm, MS can not support older OSes forever, IMO they have gone above and beyond what they needed to for XP. It is a 9 years old and 2 generations old. They will continue to provide support until 2014. I think he got his moneys worth. 9 years, 120 dollars... used everyday... Yeah.

Red Exodus
05-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I have to agree with Subyman, XP is old and I heard 64bit XP isn't as stable as the 32bit version. I still use XP but I don't think I have the right complain if programs and applications start phasing out XP.

BlinD_SpoT
05-03-2010, 05:08 PM
My OS is also Windows XP x64 like Deepcut has and I bought the Codemaster Racing Pack just when it hit sales.. I checked every game in the racing pack to make sure I could fulfill the requirements and NOWHERE does it say that x64 OS aint supported.. Even at the GFWL homepage there's no information about dropped support/ problems between XP x64 and GFWL..

Let me cut it out for those of you who can't see the problem.. I bought a racing pack consisting of 5 games, DiRT 1+2, FUEL, TOCA 3 and GRID.. I already own TOCA and GRID as retail copies, but wth, I wanted them as digital copies anyway.. So I went on to DiRT 1 only to find out it dosent work with XP x64 ("Ohh well" I thougt, "I also bought DiRT 2 so it dosent really matter so much").. Then I tried to play DiRT 2 only to find out that because GFWL wont work with XP x64, I couldent even save my game (Apparently this is a known problem by Codemasters and Microsoft, unable to create a autosave in DiRT2 means you gotta start all over every time).. And of course there's the lack of keys for FUEL (I could live with that until they managed to get more), but now I can see there's a GFWL problem with FUEL as well.. C'mon..!
So out of 5 games I can only fully play the 2 games I already got..

And to quote Sergio100
As long as the store page says XP is supported, the people advising to upgrade to a newer OS need to step back, take a breath, and leave this thread alone

They really need to lable the racing pack with a warning that stats "One or more of these games is known to cause problems with Windows XP x64 systems" or something like that (Just a little "x86 only" tag at the OS requirements could do it)
Is that to much to ask..!

Flying Ace
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
same with dirt 2 just download a older version of windows live

Cond3
05-04-2010, 12:06 AM
you can download from the internet Windows XP 32 Sp3 UE. with this windows you run any type of game :)

Regards!

PS: the windows is not official, so do not worry about anything ^^

ImBack87
05-04-2010, 07:42 AM
XP 64 has always been poorly supported...I recall not being able to install windows live messenger and itunes 64 on XP 64, there were workarounds though...
If you're an avid gamer I suggest you save up some money and get Windows 7 64 upgrade, it shouldn't be too expensive now

Flying Ace
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
has this been fixed YET? cause if not I won't buy GTA 4 :c

also bump

seseorang
06-03-2010, 04:08 PM
GTA4 has nothing to do with this. I've used GTA4 on Windows XP x64.

I'd assume that GFWL on XP x64 is being left not working so they force people to use an operating system that's "newer" but XP is fairly capable of.

Windows XP x64 and Windows Vista share one thing (at least in 64bit variant) they're BOTH limited to 128GB RAM. I'm interested in seeing how quickly we get to that barrier. Windows 6.1 (7/Seven) has a larger limit of 192GB, whereas 64bit has a limit of 16EB RAM which is about 16,000,000,000GB 16 Billion GB ... Just like a Gigabyte is a Billion bytes .....

Flying Ace
06-03-2010, 08:28 PM
GTA4 has nothing to do with

actually it does you have to login to games for windows live to play multiplayer and I can't seeming as I have to use a older version of GFWL to be able to run Dirt 2 and FUEL

seseorang
06-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Shafted by Microsoft!!

Flying Ace
06-13-2010, 07:32 PM
I somewhat had it working using a older version of windows live for the longest of time today both Dirt 2 and Fuel stopped working completely I can't even launch them after the "preparing to launch" goes away nothing happens

Im so ticked off cause I was half way through both games