PDA

View Full Version : Toca Race Driver 3 low fps

rfxcasey
05-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I tried to find help on this subject but didn't find any so I am posting my fix here.

Toca Race Driver 3, I have a very good dual core AMD system (Kuma 2.7Ghz, 4GB DDR2, ATI 4830) and was getting terrible FPS no matter the graphics settings. Tried locked framerate setting both on and off made no difference. I was consistently getting between 33 and 18 FPS.

To fix this Alt tab out of the game. Open the Task Manager and right click on the RD3.exe process. I set the affinity to a single processor and priority to high. Alt tab back to the game and now getting 75 consistently. Would probably be higher but I have V sync on.

I also found this dual core optimizer on the AMD website which may fix the problem though I haven't installed it yet.

Hope this helps. It was really torquing my off.

phill1978
05-04-2010, 02:30 PM
i have this problem, my gfx card is crappy 8600gt but should still run this game ok?
I have 1080p res and full settings (almost) runs great... but after 1 race it starts to slow down everytime the x360 controller is pressed.

i tabbed to resource manager and its near 100% CPU. I have E6750 2.66 core Duo and 2GB ram.

something is logging too much or eating up cpu

phill1978
05-04-2010, 02:38 PM
weird tried just 1 cpu.. hey presto an improvement. still does the slow down speed up with controller but less so hmm.. i will try vsync now

rfxcasey
05-04-2010, 06:14 PM
I am using an older USB Microsoft sidewinder force feedback wheel and don't have the controller slowdown issue many people have. I am not sure if the 2 problems are related. I saw in another forum that the game has issues with AMD dual core processors as it tries to use the real time clock and it doesn't sync correctly with the actual CPU timing. There is a dual core driver to address this at the AMD drivers website under Drivers/CPU. Other folks claim that by using that driver they don't have to set the affinity of the game but it may help your problem as well I don't know do head over to AMD and check it out. Here's the link http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

It didn't work for me as I still have to set the affinity manually but there is a work around for that. If you are using the Steam version there is a way to change the start string of the Race Driver (or any other games) shortcut but you'll have to look it up. It's something like -affinty 1 or something like that so you won't have to set the game to 1 CPU manually each time you start it.

seseorang
05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
I've noticed some games I change priority to work better with a slightly elevated priority, ie "Above normal" setting to "High" wielded unsatisfactory gameplay. It also works if you elevate Steam to a higher priority as this runs games at the same level.

Might bet better to make sure the graphics settings are set to default and no extra settings, just everything done by the game

rfxcasey
05-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I've noticed some games I change priority to work better with a slightly elevated priority, ie "Above normal" setting to "High" wielded unsatisfactory gameplay. It also works if you elevate Steam to a higher priority as this runs games at the same level.

Might bet better to make sure the graphics settings are set to default and no extra settings, just everything done by the game

I think your way off base on this. Not the priority part but the software/driver level settings. I had previously tried every software and driver level combo with exactly the same frame rate results. It's is well documented that the game has a problem with dual core processors and it's use of real time clock getting out of sync.

Since I set the game to uniprocessor utilization it runs like a bat out of hell with full graphic detail weather software or driver level.

All I can say is now I am very happy with this program.

phill1978
05-06-2010, 03:24 PM
i was fine with affinity then again i started to get slow down but only after two races ?
so i dropped my gfx card that is still way in spec to lower res and it was playing amazing.. then sadly after 4 races it slows again ?! FFS

is there some replay logging buffer or something that caches your pad movements so when you use the pad it slows whilst writing?

basically this is another codemasters pc game i cant play :( Dirt1 has such awfull handling i dont bother with it

rfxcasey
05-07-2010, 06:15 AM
Dunno, but make sure your processor or GFX card aren't throttling down due to an overheating issue. While I know I don't have a heat issue Deus Ex does the same sort of thing to me every time I try playing it.

What GFX card do you own? I think ATI have some issues as mine seem to. Sometimes the driver version your using can make a difference so you my want to try the latest or an older one depending on what you have installed.

Other then that.....I am trying to think of what do look into.......I know other people have had problems with controller causing slowdown but it usually sounds like they are using logitech force feedback wheels. I use an older USB Microsoft Sidewinder FFB wheel and don't have any issues. This is starting to sound like a direct x issue to me. If you don't have the controller installed does the game behave the same?

I actually have 2 Sidewinder wheels. One I got almost new for 25 bucks and the other I got on ebay for 19 dollars. If the controller is the issue look for a usb sidewinder FFB wheel. They are actually real made well and seem to hold up really good under normal daily use.

Oh yeah and almost forgot if you go to the task manager and look under processes you can see which process is using the most CPU time. Find that process and it may point you in the right direction.

Oh, and sorry to ramble on but yeah dirt 2 seems a little funky and frustrating. I just started playing it though so I need some time to determine if it really sux like you said. I will tell you this though Dirt 2 is really nice accept for the whole freaking Need For Speed style presentation and the stupid Ken Block speech impediment voice overs. Why couldn't they just make it a little more simulatorish?

As far as a buffer issue, who knows, something may not be getting flushed out like it's supposed to and filling up. If you keep me posted I'll keep checking back and try to help you cause I wasn't thinking Toca 3 was gonna be that good, but it actually is turning out to be a pretty awesome simulator. I have Live For Speed and the entire Race Series and this is right up there, especially the rally, open wheel, and classic classes. Actually I really like the muscle car and even oval track classes too. It's really a great simulator more then a game so to speak though be as it may that the graphics may not be up to some GAMERS standards but if your looking for a sim it's awesome.

Ha ha ha, Oh my I am just going on and on, but one more thing, please post detailed system specs including OS and all that good crap.