PDA

View Full Version : For how long do you think Steam will last?

amtvcjca
05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Just curious

Ciaos
05-04-2010, 02:02 PM
When digital distribution becomes obsolete.

oli4579
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
When digital distribution becomes obsolete.

going by those terms its basically never :P we are only becoming more reliant on the internet

Lynx
05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
I doubt anyone is worried.

serieus1
05-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Even if digital distribution goes obsolete you'll still have access to your games. CD stores are slowly becoming obsolete but you can still find just about every song you can think of online on digital distribution sites. Same as video games. Between gog.com and steam and other digital distribution sites you can find all the games you used to have to have a hard copy of. Things move on, but it seems that nostalgic items can be carried over into the new technology. I think they do this cause if you lost all your old music, or if you lost all your video games, people would be pissed about moving on to a new technology or medium. This way they keep you as faithful clients that start buying into the new technology.

GreatWorkDude
05-04-2010, 02:09 PM
At least 20 more years. Valve will adapt with society.

sukach
05-04-2010, 02:10 PM
At least 20 more years. Valve will adapt with society.
At the least...

wexer9
05-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Into the foreseeable future, easily. As the previous poster said, online distribution will only thrive as we become more reliant on the Internet.

Metro
05-04-2010, 02:13 PM
At least another 5-10 which is sufficient enough for my concerns. If it goes belly up and I lose access to all the games after that I won't be too upset.

antiver
05-04-2010, 02:33 PM
The only thing that can kill a technology is newer technology.

The only technology on the horizon with the potential to kill digital software distribution (read: Steam) is interactive digital media distribution (read: OnLive).

mradidaking
05-04-2010, 02:35 PM
until pc gaming is dead. then valve can move to consoles haha

serieus1
05-04-2010, 02:37 PM
The only thing that can kill a technology is newer technology.

The only technology on the horizon with the potential to kill digital software distribution (read: Steam) is interactive digital media distribution (read: OnLive).

But even then, Steam will use the Onlive product but will still have your games in your games list that you can play via onlive. If steam fails it will be bought by another company and no matter if Valve stays around or another company takes over, we are not about to lose our games anytime soon. A pissed off customer is any company's nightmare, especially 2 million of them, so expect some sort of continuation to the next technology or next medium with all your games list intact.

>X2<
05-04-2010, 02:39 PM
I would be willing to bet Steam outlasts anyone that is registered on the forums. eg 100 years+

serieus1
05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
X2, off topic, how do you get 483 rep with only 390 posts. You must be like the forum post master or something.

Yeah, even after the atomic bombs have blown Earth to pieces, Steam will still exist through our satellites to alien worlds.

Silicon Vampire
05-04-2010, 02:42 PM
My guess would be when either a massive solar flare or the cosmic radiation from a nearby star going supernova sends us all back to the stone age.

A large rock hitting the Earth would have about the same effect...

>X2<
05-04-2010, 02:50 PM
X2, off topic, how do you get 483 rep with only 390 posts. You must be like the forum post master or something.

Forum HAX

>_>
<_>
<_<

Posts in off-topic don't count.

Xiru
05-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Long enough to make sure at least one generation inherits Steam accounts in addition to money and property.

BrianD000
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
The only way Steam would fail is if we all went back to 1980, When there was no Steam, But then Steam would only be invented again in the 2000's. Steam always was, Therefor always is.

DoubleD
05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Which will end first? Steam or Threads asking how long? ;)

mradidaking
05-04-2010, 06:26 PM
steam will always be here. I foresee steam doing something more like apple tv or that online game thing that hooks up to your tv.

You'll obviously be able to use a kb or a controller. and you can connect it with a monitor.

Cloud computing is the future. Valve is aware of this.

>X2<
05-04-2010, 07:37 PM
As long as you can still boil water.

MADDOGGE
05-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Well I just got back from the year 9732AD and Steam is still going strong.:cool: A clone of Gabe still runs the joint!

u2jedi
05-04-2010, 08:27 PM
As long as Valve exists, Steam exists. And Valve's still open.

Nik00117
05-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Fact of the matter is that online distro is becoming more and more popular. In fact I'm hestitate to buy a game that I can't download online anymore why do you ask?

I'm sick and tired of loosing CD keys
I'm sick and tired of damaged CDs
I'm sick and tired of loosing CDs

Now granted all of those fault of my own, however they are still a problem and steam resolves this. More and more poeple join steam everyday. In factI bet MW2 bought a crap load of new users to steam.

Steam is actually really smart, you make sure a major release of a game is steam exclusive, don't even brother charging the publisher anything to release the game on steam do it for free. The benefit, thousands of new users join steam and purchase other games down the line.

Believe me I didn't become a steam member because I thought it was a "cool concept" i did becuase that was the only way to play CS:CZ

MovieMan999
05-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Long after everyone currently registered on this forum is dead.

Knights
05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Another thread on this? Steam will last forever, PC gaming isn't going anywhere, it may not be as profitable as consoles but better pirate protection will change that in the future. There's still newer graphics cards and processors coming out and that's NEVER going to end. I can see windows platforms built into future TV's and then I'll be installing steam on it and playing games on it... :P

YASMN
05-05-2010, 01:16 AM
I would think that Steam will continue to thrive as long as online gaming thrives. Achievements are a really nice appeal and can often times be great trophies for profiles. A good example would be that I want to get the 'Not Bad For A Human' AVP achievement.

{Yotsuba}
05-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Steam will last until a better alternative comes along and knocks them out of the market as such I give it 10 years at the most until Steam is totally obsolete.

elroy
05-05-2010, 03:13 AM
The scientists who control Steam will try to shut it down, Steam will interpret all humans to be hostile and launch nuclear missiles, precipitating global thermonuclear war.

noodlesoup
05-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Steam will be around for years, and it will continue to grow. I bet behind closed doors they're even slowly considering including films, music and tv shows tbh, making steam pretty much the best entertainment platform for the PC. Only way it would collapse is if something else swoops in with a better idea, good luck with that.

james_2k
05-05-2010, 04:43 AM
onlive aint going to work for a looong time. not everyone has the broadband needed to stream 1920x1200+ video + control inputs etc.

Nelsonator63
05-05-2010, 04:49 AM
Steam will last till the end of the world. I mean, its only 2012. XD

RaggedyJan
05-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Steam will last until the 2nd robot revolution when the computer networks gain self awareness and prohibit the digital distribution of video games. Robots are [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color] like that.

Fantastadon
05-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm a little worried that Valve aren't being progressive enough, Battle.net has announced incoming facebook integration, I've been wishing would do this for the last like 6 months ...

What gives me most hope is steam CLOUD service, I own 100 games on steam and am proud of it yeah

kinkoblast
05-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Steam will be around for years, and it will continue to grow. I bet behind closed doors they're even slowly considering including films, music and tv shows tbh, making steam pretty much the best entertainment platform for the PC. Only way it would collapse is if something else swoops in with a better idea, good luck with that.

Nyeh. Fix the media player sucking enlarged donkey balls first.

And the Steam Friends service. there are people who primarily use devices not capable of running Steam (Old macs, 'nix boxes, pdas...) and believe it or not I still like talking to them.

deer
05-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Steam will last until the 2nd robot revolution when the computer networks gain self awareness and prohibit the digital distribution of video games. Robots are [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color] like that.
But Steam got self awareness two years ago and turned all Valve employees into cyborgs. It is uploading crucial data to your PC with every game you download and when the time comes your computer will transform and kill you or cyborgize you.

paratech2008
05-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't see Steam working on consoles. The games are too big, most 360 Users barely have 60 GB hard drives and PS3 gamers 120 GB, with Blu Ray games @ ~50GB a piece. Then you have to factor in downloading 50GB games, and the other headaches associated with online games.

Sure I buy and download a few games on my Wii and PSP, but the bandwidth on both is terrible, and who wants to spend $60 a game on console games you can't trade, take to a friends house, or resell. Sure PC gamers put up with that, but I'm unsure console gamers want that system yet.

I think Steam has years of life left even if I'm still 50% retail / 50% Steam.

Trashcantoy
05-05-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm a little worried that Valve aren't being progressive enough, Battle.net has announced incoming facebook integration, I've been wishing would do this for the last like 6 months ...

What gives me most hope is steam CLOUD service, I own 100 games on steam and am proud of it yeah
mac support, signs pointing to linux support, a growing list of steam exclusive titles, expanding list of games with steamworks, the new UI with more focus on social/socializing aspects

not good/progressive enough for ya?

Shadowww
05-05-2010, 04:58 PM
until pc gaming is dead. then valve can move to consoles hahaIt never will be cause xbox target auditory is 12 year old kids and PS3 target auditory is 14 year old kids.

bobsmith101
05-05-2010, 05:11 PM
It'll be alive until Valve sells it to make a cheap buck, but good luck playing your games after that, you don't own them.

Ignitioned
05-05-2010, 06:06 PM
It never will be cause xbox target auditory is 12 year old kids and PS3 target auditory is 14 year old kids.

Guess the rest of us have PC and Wii :D

Mr_Fayce
05-05-2010, 06:44 PM

Yeah this.

3x3cUt0r
05-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Until they plug me to the Matrix.

ultradude25
05-05-2010, 07:45 PM
∞ years.

cwsault
05-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Facebook is like a plague spreading around the internet....I look forward to the day it dies and hope that Steam never does anything to prolong its miserable existence.

That said, they'd go good together because Steam's content servers are about as stable as Facebook (i.e. they're not).

DrHojo123
05-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Facebook is like a plague spreading around the internet....I look forward to the day it dies and hope that Steam never does anything to prolong its miserable existence.

I Agree with that

epsylon_Z1
05-06-2010, 08:33 AM
For how long do you think Steam will last?
untill those hardcore casual gamers will stop buying Valve stuff.

DSBUFF1
05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Steam will last until something faster and better comes along to replace it. thats how it is with most technological things. :) or until valve decides to do something different or goes bankrupt.

Gazpacho
05-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Just curious

For ten thousand years until the second coming of Gar'thax, consumer of worlds.

cwbys21
05-12-2010, 10:43 PM
wouldn't surprise me, but it would put them in competition with itunes and Valve doesn't have the money for that.

And to the OP, for at least 10 years. It will take several years for someone to make something better than Steam that actually works right now (not onlive) and then if Valve can't respond their user base will slowly dwindle. People have to much money invested to jump ship quickly, but if Valve can't respond they will slowly slip away. And lets say onlive works, what is keeping Valve from implementing that technology into Steam? Frankly, the only thing I see that could usurp people from Steam is Battle.net but Blizzard doesn't seem interested in selling other peoples games.

KarlMonster
05-13-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned this. U2jedi came close. Maybe you lads just don't know.

Here's the real deal. Steam is the property of Valve. You knew that, right? Well, stop smirking. Valve is a company, like a lot of other companies. They can be bought out, nicely or hostile, however you please. If they are acquired, the new management could change/ruin Steam. I don't know the figures and I haven't looked for them, but I expect Steam is a profitable venture. Making it attractive to lots of big fish.

Actually, this has already happened, not that long ago. Vivendi Universal bought Valve. One of the things that they wanted was Steam. They were *really* mad when they didn't get it. I admit that I don't know the details, but I think Valve managed to maintain exclusive rights to Steam.

So, the continued existence of Steam isn't nearly as certain as you might think. Corporations are greifers too.

DoubleD
05-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Until these guys learn how to sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbDUiaBfeKs

bb10
05-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Vivendi Universal bought Valve.
What? :confused:

DoubleD
05-13-2010, 07:48 PM
They can be bought out, nicely or hostile, however you please.

How do you take over a private company?

Vivendi Universal bought Valve. One of the things that they wanted was Steam. They were *really* mad when they didn't get it. I admit that I don't know the details, but I think Valve managed to maintain exclusive rights to Steam.

So, the continued existence of Steam isn't nearly as certain as you might think. Corporations are greifers too.

I will say it as well. WHAT???

Yeowj
05-13-2010, 07:58 PM
onLive has just signed a deal with BT to provide it's subscribers with games exclusively. If that takes off, I can see it becoming like the spotify of the games world, where Steam is the equivalent of iTunes.

AmazingRedd
05-13-2010, 08:05 PM
hopefully forever.

Fooley
05-13-2010, 08:53 PM
How do you take over a private company?

I will say it as well. WHAT???

This. Valve is private, they own Steam, and other companies (I think its EA now) handle their retail distribution.

This comes up regularly in the Steam thread on another forum I go to. The replies are always the same: Steam has nowhere to go but up, and if/when they DO go belly up, it won't happen suddenly and they'll stop the "phone home" games do so you can still play them.

Ninja_Duck
05-13-2010, 09:51 PM
A long time.

Broken89
05-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Well if 2012 is to be believed then only 2 years :'(

onLive has just signed a deal with BT to provide it's subscribers with games exclusively. If that takes off, I can see it becoming like the spotify of the games world, where Steam is the equivalent of iTunes.

Mark my words OnLive wont last long. Imagine playing Crysis in a low quality youtube video with input lag. The internet really needs to improve before this will work properly.

franjrp92
05-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Until PC gaming and/or digital distribution becomes obsolete. And digital downloads are getting bigger now so Valve'll be rolling in money in about 10 years thanks to Steam.

DKill3r
05-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Always, I wanna be with yoooooooooou
And make believe with yoooooooooooooou
And live in harmony, harmony oooooooh love
(Always) I wanna be with yoooooooou
And make believe with yoooooooooooou
And live in harmony, harmony oooooooh love

This long.

Washell
05-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Mark my words OnLive wont last long. Imagine playing Crysis in a low quality youtube video with input lag. The internet really needs to improve before this will work properly.

Onlive and similar systems eliminate piracy, allow developers to focus on a single set of hardware and maintain full control over the content. You may not like it, but the publishers/developers do. If it works well enough to ditch the retail side, we won't have a choice.

DKill3r
05-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Onlive and similar systems eliminate piracy, allow developers to focus on a single set of hardware and maintain full control over the content. You may not like it, but the publishers/developers do. If it works well enough to ditch the retail side, we won't have a choice.

Unfortunately there are enough idiots to support such crappy systems. Remember the Ubi-Launcher. As long as there are enough ♥♥♥♥♥♥s to buy that crap, the market will grow.:(

flipperwhipper
05-14-2010, 06:20 AM

Longer than most of the developers of the games you bought.

mouton
05-14-2010, 06:47 AM
5 days, tops.

janka^
05-14-2010, 07:01 AM
if steam on Win32,Mac and Linux i doubt we will se the end of it

cwbys21
05-14-2010, 12:07 PM

yes, it is great for developers, but to get the most out of onlive, you have to have 8mb internet. That isn't cheap and because of that, most people don't have it. It would also help if you are a very religious person because that is the only way to eliminate all the lag that you can't control. Maybe they get a few hundred thousand subscribers in bigger cities where you can get faster internet for a cheaper price, but it won't be knocking services like Steam off its pedestal for a long time.

kafka89
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
A lot longer than console based digital distribution services like Xbox Live that are dependent on the continued existence of the platform... at least we know computers will always be around.

bRownies_21
05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
steam is going down just like the rest of us in 2012 :D

mLegion
05-14-2010, 01:16 PM
when EA/Ubi buy their way onto valve's board of directors.

DKill3r
05-14-2010, 03:26 PM
when EA/Ubi buy their way onto valve's board of directors.

Oh god. I know it's VERY unlikely but that gives me nightmares.:eek::D

jeffreydean1
05-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Only problem I can see is that more and more ISPs are creating bandwidth caps. Australia is terrible already as are a few european countries, and here in Canada, Bell is on the cusp of finishing a lobbying campaign to force usage based billing on all Canadian ISPs (most already have it with caps around 60gigs) im on one of the last few ISPs with unlimited usage. US isps are seeing this happening in many countries and are starting their campaigns too. And dont say it cant happen because thats what Canadians said a few years ago. It can. UBB (Usage based billing) is by far (as I see it) the biggest threat to digital distribution. If you can only download 60 gigs a month, suddenly digital distribution loses alot of its shine compared to a brick and mortar store and disc-based media.

ElChrisman99
05-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Until the year 9001AD

SpecialForcie
05-14-2010, 07:02 PM

To be truthful, I really don't know. I hope it can last quite a bit longer, though.

Washell
05-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Maybe they get a few hundred thousand subscribers in bigger cities where you can get faster internet for a cheaper price, but it won't be knocking services like Steam off its pedestal for a long time.

Roughly 2/3rd of the western world lives in an urban area. Without piracy, it may be cost effective to just cut off the rural areas. They won't care about not serving 100% of all people as long as they can make the same or more profit at lower cost and investment. On the upside, it would add more incentive to expand bandwidth into the country side.

Sure, this will create a secondary market for standalone/local games, but you'd see less or no AAA titles on it.

I've been gaming on PC's for 20 years and I must say, the thought of not having to buy a new one every couple of years is rather attractive. Imagine sinking the full amount once into a big TV and just get an Onlive settop.

I'm on 25Mbps cheap internet in a village, so that 8Mbps isn't cheap in your area says very little. Onlive recommends 5Mbps for HD stream, 1.5Mbps for SD stream. SD stream is equivalent to console resolutions, which given the ~150 million Wii's, 360's and PS3's sold, isn't a problem for most people.

johndept1
05-14-2010, 11:34 PM
i think it is not long.

ProgSys
05-15-2010, 12:39 AM
As long as Gabe Newell exist!

cwbys21
05-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Roughly 2/3rd of the western world lives in an urban area. Without piracy, it may be cost effective to just cut off the rural areas. They won't care about not serving 100% of all people as long as they can make the same or more profit at lower cost and investment. On the upside, it would add more incentive to expand bandwidth into the country side.

Sure, this will create a secondary market for standalone/local games, but you'd see less or no AAA titles on it.

I've been gaming on PC's for 20 years and I must say, the thought of not having to buy a new one every couple of years is rather attractive. Imagine sinking the full amount once into a big TV and just get an Onlive settop.

I'm on 25Mbps cheap internet in a village, so that 8Mbps isn't cheap in your area says very little. Onlive recommends 5Mbps for HD stream, 1.5Mbps for SD stream. SD stream is equivalent to console resolutions, which given the ~150 million Wii's, 360's and PS3's sold, isn't a problem for most people.

ur·ban /ˈɜrbən/
–adjective
1.of, pertaining to, or designating a city or town.
2.living in a city.
3.characteristic of or accustomed to cities; citified: He is an urban type.

from dictionary.com, so anyone living in an area of 20,000 on up would be classified as urban. So that stat means nothing. Also, ps3s and 360s use for the most part around 720p, which is hd, and would require the 5mb line and the hope you can get all of that line all the time while your streaming your game.

I would also be very interesting in where you can get 25mb internet for cheap in a "village." I live in a college town of around 60,000 people and 8mb is $60 a month, and the only reason it is that cheap is probably because the university pays for most of the new high speed lines to go in. Maybe you live close enough to a major city that you can get benefits from the money they are raking in for the ISPs or you live along one of the major internet lines that transfer all of our activity to the appropriate servers like some people in my family do, but that kind of speed definitely isn't available cheaply to most people.

And most of the gamers out there that are buying up all those Wiis and Wii Fit's (a lot of whom don't even have their consoles hooked up to the internet, hell, half the people with a 360 don't even have it connected and the whole reason to own a 360 is its shooters and playing online) won't have that speed, they'll have the cheapest broadband they can buy.