PDA

View Full Version : Scenario - Thorny Matter: bugged?

Retrovertigo
05-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Have asked on a trainsim forum but not had any success getting help.

I'm doing this scenario and am supposed to stop at Victorville siding 7. But my train needs to cross tracks and the only place where that could happen is at a set of lights. If I stop at those lights a train passes by the other side (apparently I'm supposed to wait for that train to pass and then the points should change (they don't have player control on them) but nothing happens.

If I travel past those lights, then there is nowhere else to cross to get to the siding I need to be at. Plus the mileage counter reads wrong I think. It counts down to the siding, but when I'm parallel with it, it says I have 1.2 miles to go. After that point the counter freezes and if I travel in any direction it stops functioning.

I have read there was a bug on this section but it was fixed with an update. But obviously, using steam I'm up to date, and all files are verified and are ok.

Bit stumped and would love to get this sorted. Any help appreciated. Cheers.

lonewolfdon
05-05-2010, 09:06 PM
It probably has something to do with the way RailWorks handles pathing for trains and your next destination(s) in a scenario.

I've had a hard time with this sometimes in making my earlier scenarios in to have the Driver's train (Or an AI train as well) recognize the proper path I want to get to my next destination or end destiantion.

But I figured out a little "trick" recently in how to coax the path of a train how you want it, and now I can now better program scenarios to work the way I want them to work.

It may be a bit hard to explain here with just typing the details, but I'll try;

Basically I've set up various Destination markers along the path where I want the train's path to follow.

So, if for example, let's say I had a route that was a large loop type, and perhaps I wanted my path for the train to go to point A to point F. And let's say the distance from the front of my train from point A to F was longer (let's say 10 miles) than the distance from the rear of my train from point A to F (let's say 1 mile). RailWorks pathing seems to try and take the "shortest" or "most direct" path to your Destinations... so in fact when I want the scenario to work that I want to go in a forward direction to take the "long path" (10 miles), RailWorks sees that the shorter / quicker / easier path (1 miles) would be in fact if I drove in reverse... but that's not what I want, and RailWorks would display like "Distance to next Destination 1 Mile", and as I continue to proceed driving forward the distance never seems to get less or sometimes in fact increases.

In some scenario's played I've seen instructions "Go via Destination-Point-Name", and I wondered how this was done... I guess this is something like the "Way Points" pathing, which I haven't been able to find proper details or instructions on anywhere on how to create such points or instructions in my own scenarios.

But I finally figured it out on my own with a bit or trial and error. It was to in fact use a "Stop at Destination" instruction, but I don't really want to Stop, but rather to make it a "Go via" instruction without the need to actually Stop. So, here's how I did it; I set up a few "Destination" markers spread out perhaps a distance of a couple miles apart from each other on the path ahead of my train in the direction and path I actually want to go in my scenario; Let's say I call the Destination markers "B", "C", "D", and "E", and my final end Destination of course is marker "F".

Now, add a "Stop" instruction for each of these Destination makers, so "Stop at Destinations B, C, D and E". But the problem is now, the instructions are expecting the train to actually come to a full stop at these Destination, so in the Scenario Instruction details you'd see "Stop at B, Stop at C, Stop at D, Stop at E". So now we want to make these commands appear as "Go via B, Go via C, Go via D, Go via E" instead, and this will help me set the correct direction and pathing that I in fact want the train to go.

So go into each of these Stop commands that you want to change to a Go via command; You see details of each instruction with something like a "MPH 0", which is expecting the train to come to a complete full stop. What I did was to click my pointer on the "MPH 0" part and simply change the number to read "MPH 1". This effectively changes the "Stop" instruction into a "Go via" instruction, so basically as long as my train is traveling any speed 1 MPH or greater, it will be considered a "Go via" instruction.

This is the way I've been able to coax my trains direction and pathing to work the way I want in my scenarios, and I think if you can figure out setting up similiar "Go via" instructions to help direct the path the way you want that it should work.

Whew! Okay, I know that's a lot to take in, and I hope you made some sense of it and that it helps. ;) If not, maybe I'll need to make up another little Tutorial Video on how to do something like this. Heheh!

Good luck!

Retrovertigo
05-06-2010, 05:34 AM
Oh man - that is a fantastic response, thanks so much.

I do feel bad though, as although that helps immensely with making my own scenarios, the scenario I'm struggling with is one of the pre-made ones in-game and so it doesn't help me I don't think?

You are right though when you mention video tutorials. I honestly expected to go on youtube and see dozens of videos showing the creation of tracks etc. But there really isn't anything out therw which amazes me.

You could start the ball rolling :) I know I'd watch them!

Thanks

lonewolfdon
05-06-2010, 05:56 AM
Retro: Oh, you meant not a scenario you were making (when you said a "I'm doing this scenario" rather than "playing this scenario") I kinda thought you meant you were making it), but rather an already existing scenario that you were having troubles with? Hmmmm... Well, I think my previous advice still might be able to apply.

For what route is this "Thorny Matter" scenario for? (When I first read the title of this thread, it didn't first click that "Thorny Matter" was the name of a scenario, rather I thought it kinda meant you were having troubles. "I have a thorny matter here". heheh).

However, if you do have a bit of knowledge of working with the scenario editor, maybe you might be able to "fix" this problem using a similar technique such as I described previously.

First you'd probably want to use something like RW_Tools to make a Clone of the scenario to work with - that way you can make edits and changes without worry of affecting the original scenario, as well if this was a Route & Scenario bought through Steam, then if there was at some point an update to this route or scenario, it would not overwrite changes you may make on a cloned scenario.

So, it seems to me from what you describe that the creator of that particular scenario didn't fully test things? Or perhaps this bug appeared perhaps after some edits he made and didn't realize it was there.

But you might be able to go into the scenario editor to work on a cloned version of this scenario, then add in a "Go via" point a little ahead of the problematic area that you're having to try and "coax" the train-path to register properly. Not sure it would work, but perhaps it's worth a try.

As far as having some video-tutorial out there; yes, is seems for doing certain things in the editor there is a real lack of available or clear documentation or instructions on how to do certain things, so in fact I've recently already begun making a series of video-tutorials for RailWorks.
You can see some of them here at the following page on my site:
http://www.rryard.com/videos.html

Cheers! :)

RClegg
09-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I got stuck on the "siding 7" problem too. I noticed you could pull into the yard and then go back out crossing the mainline and maybe back in to siding 7. But I can't throw the switches at the front of the yard to let me get over there. stuck.

did you ever figure it out?

TrainDerailer
09-05-2010, 05:22 PM
I just finished the splitter, which is another similar one that ends at East Victorville.

I had to pull up to a red light, which was an intersection with a road. The lights were on.

I think the intention of it was to force people to stop at the red light before going though.

Sometimes a train is forced to stop at a red light while another train goes through as well.

I kept your original post in mind while I was doing this 2 hour assignment.