PDA

View Full Version : I feel like the only one that loves this game

Trelow
05-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I truly do. Reminds me of my youth. Running all over the acreage on the dirtbike, three wheeler, and jeep. Love it.

coprophagia
05-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I really like the free roam sandbox play style. Its like no other racing game I've played. One thing that would totally make me like it more is having an in game mp3 player, but I manage to work around it.

The Aughts
05-05-2010, 08:13 PM
There was an MMO that got canned a few years back, Auto Assualt. Post-apocalypse, (nearly) always in your vehicle, very few players. It was the only MMO I've ever been interested in ever paying a monthly fee for, and it wasn't even around long enough for anyone to get enough server code to start an emulator.

So, while this isn't an vehicle based, full-fledged MMORPG, it's close enough for me to play it to death.

Chucrute
05-05-2010, 09:16 PM
I love the off-road gameplay...

Actually, I drive off-road most of the time, until my vehicle is covered in mud.

i_2_i
05-05-2010, 09:52 PM
i'm happy with my purchase, real bargin. reminds of driving cross country... the map is huge and feels soo real, hard to explain, but it's like flashbacks to past trips out west.

BigRob154
05-06-2010, 12:28 AM
i like it too.

but a little story would be nice and i want to try the multiplayer part

Purple44
05-06-2010, 02:35 AM
It to bad Asobo and Codemasters screwed up the online part with the stupid " one race host " then all players are drop back to free roam. Then host has to set up a new host, pick next race and hope players will rejoin his host when it back up. :mad:

There some good "Flatout" type racing to be had online, if you could keep all the players in your room while you pick the next track.

Dutchie56
05-06-2010, 03:15 AM
It to bad Asobo and Codemasters screwed up the online part with the stupid " one race host " then all players are drop back to free roam. Then host has to set up a new host, pick next race and hope players will rejoin his host when it back up. :mad:

There some good "Flatout" type racing to be had online, if you could keep all the players in your room while you pick the next track.

Yes it is realy a shame to restart the hosting after 3 laps, nothing u can do about it i think:mad:

svx22
05-06-2010, 03:35 AM
i absolutely love this game. If I have an extra 20-30 minutes before work, I like to jump into multiplayer and just roam around. Usually, I can get someone to give chase and take turns as we ride off into the sunset.

and then we go a beautiful vista and I pop the question.

darkgriffin1986
05-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I too love this game. I had to uninstall it to make room for playing Dirt 2, but I'll probably reinstall it later once I'm done with the Dirt 2 career races.

I just love how the game is totally open. My favorite place by far is the grand canyon area, so many fun cliffroads and vista points that the real park would never let me drive The Educator on. :)

Fuel may not be the killer racing game of the year, but it's certainly got a charm about it, and I loved it, from beginning to end. It's also surprising how the difficulty really ramps up, yet the game doesn't ever feel too unfair due to the sheer amount of practice you get driving all over the place in between.

Definetly one of my favorite racing games of all time. :)

Sehnsucht
05-06-2010, 04:16 PM
There's a whole lot of wrong I can say about this game, but there's a lot of good too. First off, I wish it had a physics engine, I don't think ultra-realistic physics would suit the game but somewhere in between pure arcade and simulation would have been neat. Secondly.. Oh wait, I don't really have any other gripes about the game. None too major anyway.

That said, I absolutely love the game world, it's groundbreakingly huge, and very varied considering. I love how they have no invisible walls on the edges of the map, and the ability for you to make up your own shortcuts in most of the races. That trick has saved my ♥♥♥ more times than I can count on one hand.

The vehicles could be more different from eachother apart from the engine sounds (which are really good, I must say) and the looks, but I'm very happy with the different kinds you can drive; ATV's, motorcycles, Monster Trucks, Buggies, etc.

A few of the game modes (different types of races) are innovative too, like the chopper chase. Always wanted to hunt down a chopper somewhere other than in Liberty City, which sucked with 500 buildings, taxi drivers and lamp posts in the way.

I bought the game for 3,50. Was it worth it? No question, I haven't had this much fun in any racer for a looong time. On a side note, I also bought Toca Race Driver 3 last weekend, waiting for the Fuel key - and I played it for less than 2 hours before I grew bored of it. 14 hours played (according to Steam) in Fuel now, and counting.

i_2_i
05-06-2010, 06:13 PM
i wish it has towns and cities to drive through. populated with lots of pedestrians to run overs.. like in gta

and that it had vehicles upgrades, including weapons, up that you can drive around collecting, more than just fuel like in carmageddon

and that it required you to look for fuel before you ran out of.

and that when you saved it would remember where you were, i spend an hour driving out to the middle of nowhere, i do a save, i later restart and guess what, i start back at the base station.

finally i wish it has realistic damage that one had could fix for money / fuel by going to a garage

Purple44
05-07-2010, 03:29 AM
One trick you could use to get back to that spot you like, is to make a short custom track ( about 2 checkpoints ). If start custom race and when race is over, your at your spot.

Taemond
05-07-2010, 04:46 AM
I for one love the games visual style, gritty, dirty, yet it does have a certain charm. I just love how everything is presented. Since its all unofficial racing and free-roam, it would be nice if you could modify your car eg. different engines, breaks. And maybe to be even able to build up the body how you like to get the exact look you want. Even still, its one great game where just driving around is fun.

Suomis
05-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I love the game. It is just so breathtaking to realize how big the map actually is!

madprof666
05-10-2010, 01:18 AM
even with all its little flaws, i love this game....its the equivalent of jumping in ur car ang going drivin for 4 hours to de-stress.......once ive worked out how to transfer my saved file from my pc to my main rig, ill never be off this game ^^

strangestranger
05-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, not a racing game fan but it was cheap and I thought the seamless world seemed a nice idea and I was not wrong. Great game, yeah it has some faults with the physics and the gfx could be better I think, although how much better before even my PC starts to falter. Still, apart from shadowing, bad HDR and the tree's it looks good. Kinda like how oblivion should have and could have looked.

Also a proper cockpit view would have been nice but who cares when you are cruising down a woody hill narrowly missing trees or screaming along a highway on a bike. Crazy game, the free ride means you can just pick it up anytime and go.

For the few pounds I got it for, an increadible buy.

Darkreaperluke
05-10-2010, 12:58 PM
I love this game, too. I bought it for 50€ for my 360 and I'm still happy with it. There are only two things which bug me. At first I hate the AI. It's so bad, it even has to cheat to have a chance against me. The other thing is the multiplayer. On the 360 just 2 weeks after the release, only 50 to 100 ppl were playing online. Now, you can't find anyone any longer. That's kinda sad because it's just nice to drive around with somebody and sharing nice landscapes and perfect views together.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm german...

Dutchie56
05-10-2010, 01:11 PM
i love the game too but there are a few irritating things, i v seen that heli too much dropping me down!!!nothing but big trucks driving around???
collecting a vista or a delivery always seems the same thing, searching for the right spot to get up the mountain. one very nice thing is that u can edit you r own online race with up to 32 checkpoints and a 90 minutes limit, shame no one joins me on that.

Kannibal
05-11-2010, 01:33 AM
i love this game i can give many reasons towards my statement i love this game. The main reason would be a massive fast paced racing game where the gamer can use different variety of vehicles.

Sehnsucht
05-11-2010, 08:09 AM
I love this game, too. I bought it for 50 for my 360 and I'm still happy with it. There are only two things which bug me. At first I hate the AI. It's so bad, it even has to cheat to have a chance against me. The other thing is the multiplayer. On the 360 just 2 weeks after the release, only 50 to 100 ppl were playing online. Now, you can't find anyone any longer. That's kinda sad because it's just nice to drive around with somebody and sharing nice landscapes and perfect views together.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm german...

What bad English, that was pretty much flawless. On-line part bothers me too, wish there were more people on-line, and that it didn't kill my fps when there are 5 or more around.

ente_mit_spinne
05-15-2010, 07:57 AM
nope your not the only one i love this game too but gfwl gives me a hard time :(

{Yotsuba}
05-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah, you're certainly not the only one who loves this game =)

I'd love to see a sequel myself. I doubt one will ever happen, but if it did, I'd want the inclusion of at least a couple of abandoned cites you can drive through (larger than Dustbowl), tunnels cutting through mountains, abandoned train tracks and so forth. Something that adds a bit more variety in terms of scenery, a little more of a hint at previous inhabitants and so forth.

Rogersdead
05-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Yeah, you're certainly not the only one who loves this game =)

I'd love to see a sequel myself. I doubt one will ever happen, but if it did, I'd want the inclusion of at least a couple of abandoned cites you can drive through (larger than Dustbowl), tunnels cutting through mountains, abandoned train tracks and so forth. Something that adds a bit more variety in terms of scenery, a little more of a hint at previous inhabitants and so forth.

Agree. There is so much potential there but you can see they were heading in the right direction but money or time cut it off.

I thought the exact same thing about the half buried city in dustbowl, it's just not big enough. But it certainly does look excellent whether you're driving through it (the race there is one of my favs) or just viewing it on a hill in the distance.

The sunken city is also well done imo, it look very convincing from a distance.

But yea, there's not enough unique places like this, well not that i know of anyway cos as we all know the game is just bloody huge! :)

I think they got the abandoned world theme down to a tee on the whole though, it feels desolate and hostile to life.

I love the game on the whole though, it's so unique and mysterious. And i doubt there will be anything like it again. Shame.

PacMan84
05-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Hi!
I totally LOVE this game. I would even go as far as to say that it is all the way up with the best games I've ever played in the last some years.
The graphics look so awesome and the world feels so... real. I can't describe it.

Some things I would like to change though are:
1. A way to get stars online with a friend, so that roaming the wastelands together actually gives you an advantage and is not just for the fun of driving. Unlocking new desolate and destroyed areas together with my brother for example would be an absolutely incredible experience.

2. Some tweak to increase level of detail in the distance. The popping up of stuff and low res textures in the distance don't do the great graphics justice, in my opinion.

3. The console-type menu controls are somewhat clumsy, imho.

Still, I am totally in love with this game.
-pac

ElfShotTheFood
06-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I have a soft spot for this game, flaws and all.

rapsody23
06-25-2010, 06:43 AM
i absolutely love this game. If I have an extra 20-30 minutes before work, I like to jump into multiplayer and just roam around. Usually, I can get someone to give chase and take turns as we ride off into the sunset.

and then we go a beautiful vista and I pop the question.

O.O

But yeah, I just bought the game for 5 dollars. Funny because I was gonna buy it on XBOX 360 for 8 bucks. I'm glad I looked at Steam.

mithrandir3
08-01-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't like racing games very much. This is the only one I bought, and it was because it was on sale. I think it's a good game, free roaming in the game world is great. And there's so many races that it's hard to get bored.

rugalck
10-24-2010, 03:24 PM
I do too, it's like a Dakar game.

Confucius Rex
11-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I love this game too even though I know it's pretty mediocre. I don't know what it is about it that keeps me coming back. I'm not a guy who grinds to get all the little piddling achievements, but in FUEL I'm always driving around to get all those paint cans and whatnot, because they'll always take you to a new interesting place. I don't get what it is about it.
I do know that what the developer should have done though is looked to an earlier Codemasters game, 1nsane. It was released in 2001 and is lost to obscurity, but nothing has come close to the level of off-roading awesomeness that it reached. MotorStorm? DiRT? 4x4 Evolution? All baby off-road games compared to 1nsane. It had a ton of gamemodes. And not this, "We have lots of gamemodes. There's race, there's race with spaced apart checkpoints, there's circle race, and there's race a helicopter." No, there's capture the flag, demolition derby, race, checkpoint finding, rallying. Coupled with an awesome physics and damage engine, it's just about the most kickass racing game you've never heard of. If the developers somehow convince Codemasters to give them funding for FUEL 2 all they have to do is copy 1nsane in a similar huge environment and rub some braincells together so they can make a competent multiplayer system. Then BAM, you got a best seller.

Futaleufu
12-12-2010, 02:03 PM
The most irritating thing about this game is how the CPU blatantly cheats every time you take a different route. I take route A, the CPU gets a lead of 400 meters, I take route B, the CPU gains a lead of 500 meters. And the moment i catch up i pass them without any fight.

The other irritating thing is how wrong the GPS behaves at times, most of the time it tries to lead you to a obviously longer route.

BasketCaseOIC
12-16-2010, 11:27 PM
The most irritating thing about this game is how the CPU blatantly cheats every time you take a different route. I take route A, the CPU gets a lead of 400 meters, I take route B, the CPU gains a lead of 500 meters. And the moment i catch up i pass them without any fight.

The other irritating thing is how wrong the GPS behaves at times, most of the time it tries to lead you to a obviously longer route.

LMAO, I think that this was the reason I uninstalled the game.....the RAGE after being ahead for miles, and losing right at the end. I do miss the game though - reinstalling tomorrow.

Dreamcube017
04-29-2011, 01:43 PM
When I first played it, I was kinda bored because I think I was playing it the wrong way. Sometime later I read a review talking about how nice the world was and I played it again and really enjoyed it. I JUST WISH there was a free camera to move around so we could fly through it... maybe there's on in the debug menu.

Also it does have some sort of physics somewhere... doesn't it use the Euphoria engine?

Vetron
04-30-2011, 03:54 PM
I JUST WISH there was a free camera to move around so we could fly through it... maybe there's on in the debug menu.

There is a free fly camera to just go wherever... to activate:

Go to FUEL directory, Steam\SteamApps\common\fuel
Rename the file GameSetup.exe to anything else, GameSetupBAK.exe etc.
Rename SecuLauncher.exe as GameSetup.exe
Open Steam, go to Library, right click on FUEL, go to properties and then click "Launch Options".
Set the launch parameter as "-W". This will force the game into window mode.
Launch FUEL via steam, when in-game driving, right click anywhere and you should bring up a menu.
Select "Camera User", then click on "Viewport 1".
You should now be using a free camera and can do whatever, standard game controls to move around. "A" on 360 Gamepad and I think "E" on keyboard should increase the speed you travel.

Dreamcube017
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Wow awesome. I'm so happy I got the PC version of this game. Does it clear out all the UI. I'd just like to fly around and take nic pics.

Vetron
04-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Wow awesome. I'm so happy I got the PC version of this game. Does it clear out all the UI. I'd just like to fly around and take nic pics.

If you use debug mode you can force hide the UI to take pics. To enable debug mode delete the "//" from the //EnableDebugTools in the file "usergame.tsc", located in the main FUEL directory. When in-game use either 'T' on keyboard (I think) or RB on 360 Pad to bring up menu, scroll down and there is a "Hide HUD" option.

You can get some really decent screenshots in FUEL, here a few I've taken whilst in fly mode:
http://www.moddb.com/games/fuel/images/the-ashtray
http://www.moddb.com/games/fuel/images/fuel-screenshots8
http://www.moddb.com/games/fuel/images/zone5

Dreamcube017
04-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks. I'll try this. I wonder what else you can do in debug mode. I saw some options for weather and stuff, but I don't think it completly works... it just makes it erally stormy and hard to see...

I also saw some more graphic options like Depth of Field and stuff... but I'm not too sure that worked either. Motion Blur too... hmm Thanks again.

Vetron
05-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks. I'll try this. I wonder what else you can do in debug mode. I saw some options for weather and stuff, but I don't think it completly works... it just makes it erally stormy and hard to see...

The weather stuff fully works and lets you customize all available values (fog, wind, rain, snow). You can also adjust time of day by the RB/T debug menu. By default when you enable weather edit its hard to see because you need to first reduce the fog value and then play around with the others a bit, but it all works.

There are some nice things in the debug menu's, most useful stuff I find is hiding huds, changing time / weather, teleporting to anywhere on the map and setting custom vehicle colors. I find it's really useful for creating custom tracks external to the game, by accessing either PosPerso or the teleportation map co-ordinates. :)

EDIT: A tutorial I wrote on how to play round with those weather settings can be found here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/fuel-refueled/tutorials/fuel-in-game-time-and-weather-customisation

thesystemaddict
05-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Fuel rocks, there's so much to see and do due to the MASSIVE map filled with canyons, forests, snowy mountains, lakes, destoryed cities, deserts, you name it fuel has it.

The dynamic weather system is also really good and the graphics look great even by todays standards. Great fun free roaming/racing online with a bunch of guys too, very underrated game in my opinion. Love it.

I don't think it's underrated, personally. I think it got a fair shake.

I remember tracking this game from announcement to release...to a half year or so after. I adored what they were trying to do and loved being able to spend hours going to and from places.

But as much as you can go and see and drive - there really isn't anything 'there'. If you ignore online - you'll see one or two people every little while but unless you chase them down there just wasn't much personality.

There was no story to follow and no characters. Someone made a great point about having towns and cities. Sure it's post-apoc, but that doesn't mean you can't have roving gangs and gypsy-type cities popped up in places. There's a lot of promise that this game left on the table in that area alone. For too many people it's just a really lonely game, and it didn't need to be.

Then - I think the unforgiving/too-forgiving AI really bugged a lot of players. It sucks to race perfectly and see the AI keep with you or ahead of you most of the whole race...only to pull up lame the last minute and let you pass them. It really sucks because you can race fairly awful and still win as a result of the rubber-band. I'm more willing to give games a pass because a lot of them do it, but it was a really big problem and why many probably didn't like it much.

I'd always wished the mod-community picked this game up and ran with it. But, I sort of game up hoping after 6 months.

Still thinking I might drop back in...gotta get through Dirt 3 first.

Jezberg
05-28-2011, 04:03 PM
I love it too, though I only play free roam.. Does anyone play free roam online btw? I tend to do that with a friend every now and then, we just drive around looking for cool places..gotta love the freedom. To be honest I didn't think even this many people were actually playing the game

HerbFerg
10-22-2011, 10:34 AM
I had never heard of this game until yesterday. After buying the GTA Complete Pack I was doing some surfing around those set of games, clicking on the syndicated links on the GTA game pages in my Steam library and eventually, through some circuitous route, I can't recall ended up here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/22/fuel-around-the-world-in-eight-hours/

After reading this blog I checked on Steam to see if they had the game and then downloaded the demo. I have played it for a few hours and all I have been doing is just driving around in Free Ride mode. I love it!

I might wait for the Xmas sale to see if it is on there but deep down I know I will probably just buy it in the next few days after I have exhausted all the limited area to ride around in Free Ride. After all it is only 6.99 here in the UK.

As mentioned in the blog, if the terrain could be modded to some sort of Mad Max style setting, I think it would be the perfect game. I took loads of screenshots while playing and spent a good portion of the time just looking at the landscape, particularly sunsets and sunrises.

It would be worth the money to me just to drive around for hours like the guy at Rock Paper Shotgun did. The races would be a bonus.

Oneironaut
10-22-2011, 03:06 PM
I just beat the last race in FUEL. It's certainly not without it's flaws but I really enjoyed it. I might go back to unlock more vehicles and beat more races on their higher difficulties.

It took me 33 hours.

sFalL
10-21-2014, 07:49 AM
you are not the only one, i like it too