PDA

View Full Version : Patch causes Hardware Video Problems

Z01db3r6
05-05-2010, 10:35 PM
After the patch, playing Shattered Horizons makes my graphics card fail epically, and on a hardware level. I was able to play the game for a map or so, but then it suddenly black-screened. I Ctrl-Alt-Del to the desktop. My computer is still running, and I can hear the game running in the background (sounds), and my desktop is still up. But what's weird is that some pixels are stuck at a certain color. And they change and move around as I move around my mouse and windows. It's like someone sprinkled pixie-dust on my screen, and it won't go away.

I restart the computer and the artifacts go away. So I launch Shattered Horizons again. This time, my graphics crap out as soon as the map loads. Again I get the dust on my screen that doesn't go away. It's like some parts of the framebuffer get corrupted.

I know that this is a hardware problem because the last time I had something like this was right before my old video card burned out.

Fortunately for me, the damage isn't permanent. My computer runs fine, and I can play other games without problems, even graphics heavy ones like Metro 2033, STALKER, Bad Company 2, and so on. But as soon as I turn on Shattered Horizons, the problems return.

I'm going to play it safe and not kill my graphics card.

But I'd appreciate it if there was some way to fix this.

Also it would be nice if more than 50 people could be online at any given point, and more than 3 servers populated.

Isodus
05-05-2010, 10:39 PM
There have been several other threads posting about similar problems, I don't think a solution has been mentioned yet other than try changing settings to minimum and checking to make sure you have the latest drivers.

You might want to check the other threads though just to be sure, I haven't been having this problem and haven't noticed any drop in fps yet myself but it seems a decent amount of people have.

About server population, I agree, but you have to give it time with a new game especially a first game from a company. Though with the release of firepower earlier today I've seen at least a dozen servers maxed out.

Z01db3r6
05-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the reply, Isodus. I have seen lots of threads about other problems, like low FPS, and failure to launch, but this is not the kind of problem I'm getting. As a matter of fact, I've actually noticed an FPS improvement (whether this is due to the new patch or me downloading the latest NVidia drivers, I don't know). However, all the FPS in the world won't help me if my graphics card burns out.

Just another detail about the problem I'm getting: if you've ever jiggled the HDMI cable while watching a Blu-Ray movie, and saw your screen get messed up for a second, then that's the kind of thing I see on my screen. Except I know it's not a problem in the wire itself, and it doesn't go away after a second (or at all).

On a side note, I really do miss the old simple assault rifle. It would be nice if we had the option to choose it alongside these new weapons.
While it is true that just one gun made things only slightly bland, that one gun was the best possible gun they could have given us. There was absolutely no reason for anyone to complain because they had a bad gun, because everyone has the same gun. And that gun was awesome everywhere. You could spray like mad at close range, burst-fire at medium range, and zoom in to snipe at long range. All 3 were well balanced and perfect.
Now you have your SMG and Shottie people flying around getting you from behind. You have your railgun snipers picking you off from a distance. The new "Assault Rifle" isn't worth jack. And I haven't seen anyone except me use the HMG (it's really a nice gun for medium range surface shooting).
I'd pick the old assault rifle over these any day.