PDA

View Full Version : Scanning the Pirate Base (Near start of TC)

Gabbelgak
05-06-2010, 06:31 AM
The mission in question is "Terran Recon - an Unusual Alliance". I've flown all around the sector and nothing triggers or anything, is there a piece of equipment you need or something? I have the freight scanner but that doesn't work on stations.

Xenon_Slayer
05-06-2010, 06:37 AM
You have to fly really close to the station.

Gabbelgak
05-06-2010, 06:48 AM
That worked thanks. I had flown close but not close enough, 500M worked

Jarith
05-07-2010, 09:25 AM
I am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong on this mission. I follow the pirate ship back to his base, then I get the message to scan the pirate base. About 4-5 fighters come out and work me over in a few seconds? I'm flying the Sabre you get at the beginning of the Terran Pilot missions.

AlphaFox
05-07-2010, 11:59 AM
I am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong on this mission. I follow the pirate ship back to his base, then I get the message to scan the pirate base. About 4-5 fighters come out and work me over in a few seconds? I'm flying the Sabre you get at the beginning of the Terran Pilot missions.

Happend to me as well, but then I realise that I didnt want to be a fighter piolet much so I restarted under the Humble Merchant campain :D

&T: Source
05-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I've spent 2 hours getting ♥♥♥♥♥ here, it's no fun.

Shiny-Crowbar
05-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Well to put it bluntly,galaxy is actually an unforgiving place.Also you are not forced to follow the plot as soon as missions become available(while some may).You can disable guidance from missions menu.Also remember you can fast forward the time with SETA.Which is bound to "J".Also incase you don't know,there's a classic flight option available when you press Shift + N.I was trying to take on fighters with regular controls,and no wonder you are sitting duck for them.

For the following missions,just get behind the target,and set your speed to same as them(Shift + F) and let the time fly with SETA.Works wonders for me.Also,in first chance,get an M6 or M7.

05-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Well to put it bluntly,galaxy is actually an unforgiving place.Also you are not forced to follow the plot as soon as missions become available(while some may).You can disable guidance from missions menu.Also remember you can fast forward the time with SETA.Which is bound to "J".Also incase you don't know,there's a classic flight option available when you press Shift + N.I was trying to take on fighters with regular controls,and no wonder you are sitting duck for them.

For the following missions,just get behind the target,and set your speed to same as them(Shift + F) and let the time fly with SETA.Works wonders for me.Also,in first chance,get an M6 or M7.
I'm finding it difficult making money, every station I dock at wont let me buy anything. The computer keeps saying "item not sold" even though they have thousands in stock. I can't do transport missions, because they complain I need a transport ship, which I can't afford. And combat I get slaughtered in.

Shiny-Crowbar
05-09-2010, 05:35 PM
The reason you cannot buy them because they are resources of that factory.Which is not sold but instead bought.You can only buy products from factories that you do not own.

While I never understood why they wouldn't jump on my nice Normandy(mod) which has cargo life support system installed,I rarely ever accept them.The trick is,never accept a transport mission which asks you to transport an indiviual with name.Instead,there will be missions which will say "X passengers in need of transport" to Y.They will board your any ship with enough storage capacity and cargo life support system installed.

Also on opposite,I've found making money quite easy,you can just find some less militarised sector and prey on transport ships.Sometimes even pilots bail out,leaving the ship to you without anything on hold however.You can just repair it with your spacesuit and sell it to any shipyard for instant money.Or you can go trading.

It is all about buying cheapest and selling the highest.Find solar power plants with full of energy cells,they will sell cheaper.Like 12 Cr each.Buy as high as you can carry.And find another factory that has 0 energy cells in stock.You will be selling higher than average price to that factory and will make quite a bit of money.You can repeat this step as long as you want.And then buy combat ships to go hunting or whatnot.If you are really desperate,I'd suggest getting guides.The game is hard at start but as you learn it,it will become much more easier as you can manipulate it for your own purposes.Now if you excuse me,Profitssss.. :p

Zloth
05-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Very VERY close to where the selection box is for the station, even. When I did it, I flew into the docking bay so I was inside the station - still not close enough! But when you are in the bay, you'll see the range to the station is still quite a ways.

There are a few kinds of transport missions. When they don't want to get on your ship, it's probably because they consider your ship to be too low class. They will get on if you use a TP class freighter, which have plenty of hot tubs and video games for the passage - as opposed to being stuffed into a cargo hold along with a thousand crates of snails. It could also be that you don't quite have the space for them. The game should say in your message log what the problem is.

Aranarth
05-11-2010, 08:18 AM

You don't need to kill them. They nailed me the first time too.

Just fly in really close and use the structure of the station to keep them off your back for the few seconds it takes to scan.

As soon as it's done scanning the mission is complete and ready to turn in, so you can just run away.

I managed to do this in the sabre that you start with.

Also, I found that some of the enemy ships in this mission (the ones that you're told not to pay attention to as you follow your target) are very easy to capture. You can do that for money to start out if you'd like.

EPICAC
05-21-2010, 10:22 PM
I've given up on this game because of this very mission. I finally got used to the interface and the combat and did a few side missions on the way there. Couldn't ever find anywhere to buy anything much less build up enough money to buy it. The game starts you with a terrible little ship and only 3 missiles and no way to rearm.

I get to this mission and follow this little POS drift along for an hour even on SETA, get to the pirate base, get the order to scan it, see the giant squad of fighters come out, I launch my remaining 2 missiles, which only damage two of them, manage to destroy 3 in maneuvers. I'm not sitting through that BS again.

This game is genuinely awful. It's like EVE except without the subscription. It's a useless time sink with little or no path to improvement. I wanted a space combat game and didn't mind the complex interface, but this game doesn't capture anyone but the basement dwelling freaks that have nothing to do but grind out this nonsense.

This game should've started with some clear paths to get you started with a respectable ship and some simple missions before letting you roam free into missions with no backup and hours of nothing to do before getting the snot kicked out of you.

AlphaFox
05-22-2010, 02:03 AM
I've given up on this game because of this very mission. I finally got used to the interface and the combat and did a few side missions on the way there. Couldn't ever find anywhere to buy anything much less build up enough money to buy it. The game starts you with a terrible little ship and only 3 missiles and no way to rearm.

I get to this mission and follow this little POS drift along for an hour even on SETA, get to the pirate base, get the order to scan it, see the giant squad of fighters come out, I launch my remaining 2 missiles, which only damage two of them, manage to destroy 3 in maneuvers. I'm not sitting through that BS again.

This game is genuinely awful. It's like EVE except without the subscription. It's a useless time sink with little or no path to improvement. I wanted a space combat game and didn't mind the complex interface, but this game doesn't capture anyone but the basement dwelling freaks that have nothing to do but grind out this nonsense.

This game should've started with some clear paths to get you started with a respectable ship and some simple missions before letting you roam free into missions with no backup and hours of nothing to do before getting the snot kicked out of you.

The game is certainly not awful. Try doing on of the different campains. But if your into shooting and space combat - stick to the Terran Defender mission, but just stick at it.

EPICAC
05-22-2010, 02:26 AM
The game is certainly not awful. Try doing on of the different campains. But if your into shooting and space combat - stick to the Terran Defender mission, but just stick at it.

I didn't buy this game to sit there and grind away building up money to build more mining ships to get more money. Fake money in a fake universe is pointless on all fronts. At least space combat is interesting.

I did this mission four times. The first time I tried avoiding the ships, like I did the other enemy ships, but they engaged me first. The second time I tried using guns but only got one destroyed. The third time I tried just flying full speed to the station and didn't make it. This last time I tried firing both my only missiles, didn't kill anything with them, but managed to take down the shields of one. Took a few of them with me, but certainly didn't get anywhere close to the base.

I Wasted entirely too much time on this game. I keep thinking if I can find a way to upgrade the ship I can survive long enough to scan, but assuming I get there and last long enough to scan, it's a long damn way back to the gate, there's no way I'd make it back from the station to the gate and out of there without getting blown up.

I was hoping this would be somewhat like an open universe-though outdated version of Nexus, but apparently it was ahead of its time in emulating the stupid twinkie-on-a-stick game mechanics of EVE.

I really never rant about games, but this is truly the most overhyped worthless piece of space garbage I've ever come across. I was hoping for something new and thought this game has enough development and the video looked interesting but there is just nothing to help get the player well seated into the game. It's just not intuitive at all. The fact that so many people had trouble here to sustain a thread is proof enough that this is a terrible breaking point for people like me who were swindled into buying this game.

I'm sure if you've got 12 hours a day to sell fake ore to fake people, you might afford some great ship somewhere out there in the supposedly great part of the game I never saw that has a compelling story, but I've got a job and a life. I don't have time to grind this crap out for the next three years. It's just entirely too open. If the plot is going on somewhere I sure as hell couldn't find it. Why is it so hard to just put me in a group of other ships in a squad to start the game out? I'm fine working my way up. This loner nonsense is what killed it. It's apparently not for me.

But on that front, please, show me what point I could eventually get to where the game's story would actually get started and it wouldn't be an hours-long-chore to finish a single mission. I want this game to be great, it looks so wonderful, but I'm just too frustrated with the gameplay. Give me a light at the end of the tunnel and I'd probably pick it back up and waste another weekend on this mission.

andrewas
05-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Its possible to play this game without trading or building anything - just doing combat missions and capturing hostile fighters. You will need some infrastructure to use marines effectively, and keeping a missile frigate in stock or even just loading out a capital ship with cannons more or less requires that you manufacture your own weapons, but if you stay in fighters with only a few capital ships you should be able to steal or buy all you need.

But there is no compelling story. This is a sandbox where you go out into the universe and have fun, whether that means building factories or killing Xenon or however you want to have fun. The plotlines in X3TC are better than the earlier ones, but they still arent great.

Zloth
05-22-2010, 07:44 AM
"I wanted a space combat game and didn't mind the complex interface, but this game doesn't capture anyone but the basement dwelling freaks that have nothing to do but grind out this nonsense."
Wrong.

"I didn't buy this game to sit there and grind away building up money to build more mining ships to get more money. Fake money in a fake universe is pointless on all fronts. At least space combat is interesting."

So what the hell did you buy it for? The whole marketing campaign around this game is "Think Trade Fight Build" and you expect nothing but a combat sim?? Or perhaps you were expecting the game to use real world money?

"I'm sure if you've got 12 hours a day to sell fake ore to fake people, you might afford some great ship somewhere out there in the supposedly great part of the game I never saw that has a compelling story, but I've got a job and a life."

I've got a job and a life, too, and I've gotten hundreds of hours of fun out of this game.

So where did you hear that this game has a compelling story?? It really looks to me like you saw the nice graphics, guessed at what the game was about, and now you are in here ranting and insulting us because you guessed wrong. If you're looking for a strong storyline and combat that isn't particularly open then you should be playing a different game. The Mass Effect series and Dragon Age come to mind. Japanese RPGs are always heavy on the storyline, too, though finding one with a storyline not aimed at teenagers can be a challenge.

But anyway... I have heard of this problem before, so I'll see if I can answer.

As near as I can tell, the pirate base launches a wave of fighters according to its own schedule. I've run through this mission twice and both times there were fighters in space between the base and the gate but they were pretty easy to avoid. I'm guessing the timing for you was just right so that the fighter patrol is being launched just as you get to the base.

First I would try hanging back as much as possible when in the "unknown" sector then I would run the second the plot advanced to the 'scan' portion. (You did pump the engines up on your fighter, didn't you?) If that doesn't work, go back to a previous save and try not starting the mission for an extra five or ten minutes.

Oh, and another thing that's handy - if you haven't got any salvage insurance yet (which you might not if you've been doing nothing but the Terran Conflict plot) then see if you can't dock at one of the stations in PTNI to provide another save point for you.

05-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I admit, I struggled in this game to start with, I even posted in this thread. But, Now that I understand the game better (thanks to this forum) I'm getting somewhere.

I eventually did this mission in the Sabre by just flying around to the back of the pirate base, I used the time it took the enemy ships to turn around, to wedge myself between the station for cover, and dropped 2 fighter drones to keep them busy while I sat there and scanned it. Getting out was the easy part seeing as the Sabre was faster.

If that hadn't have worked, my next move would have been to capture some ships (which is how I got most of my starting cash), and load them with fight command software. Then I'd have taken a wing in.

Clasm
05-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I found that letting the ships chase you about 40km away from the base and then circling around them to go back to the pirate base gives you plenty of time to scan and get away before the ships can get back.

I did this in the m4 Sabre which was going 200+ m/s and the enemy ships are about 1/2 as fast. I managed to start scan, overshoot scan point, stop, turnaround, go back start scan again, and get away without the enemy firing a shot.