PDA

View Full Version : Worth a buy?

IIIIGooseIIII
05-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey folks,

I'm sure you've all seen this before, but is this game worth a purchase? I remember having stupid amounts of fun with the orinal serious Sam when it was released. Has it held up? Are there any gamebreaking bugs?

Thanks!

Gamer_Kought
05-06-2010, 05:14 PM
It's worth it. It's just as much fun as it was in 2002. There are a few bugs that happen for some people (like myself, but Croteam seem to be working on these problems), but there's not too much in terms of game breaking bugs. And it'd be great to have another person for Multiplayer :D

Reptile24
05-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I say its worth it, even though I have not played the non-HD versions of Serious Sam before. Regardless I will never let the HD version ever slip from my grasp.
Not to mention that there are extra addons in this version, that were absent from the original.

AeneasXI
05-06-2010, 07:30 PM
the game is awesome! As fun as it was with even more stuff and better graphics nice multiplayer and coop modes =] Get it now and get it fast xD

IIIIGooseIIII
05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Great to hear it, thanks for the replies.

Should I grab the first encounter before the second?

xdeathknightx
05-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Just grab em both ;) Both are heaps of fun, and if you played them before you don't need to do 1 before 2

padgey2010
05-06-2010, 07:58 PM
There isnt really any follow on from the first to the second you could get the first as its cheaper and wait for the second to go on sale if you dont wanna pay the price its currently at for the same game with prettier graphics :)

Juanxz
05-07-2010, 12:05 AM
TFE's last part starts of TSE's first part. That's the only connection you'll 'encounter'.

Animositisomina
05-07-2010, 12:55 AM
TFE's last part starts of TSE's first part. That's the only connection you'll 'encounter'.

But they removed the intro movie from TSE, so if they haven't played TFE, it won't make much sense where you are, how you got there, or what that crash site is all about near the mountains.

Naity
05-07-2010, 05:00 AM
Definitivly woth a buy. Game is really fun, as much as the multiplayers, 20$ is not THAT explansive and well... That's already a lot.

About the intro, you can see it on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRAOpSxMeBg

evil_Vasile
05-07-2010, 07:39 AM
But they removed the intro movie from TSE, so if they haven't played TFE, it won't make much sense where you are, how you got there, or what that crash site is all about near the mountains.

Well even if you're new, if you read the NETRICSA intro message things will make some sense I guess.

@IIIIGooseIIII: Well curently there have been some reported issues with ATI Crossfire and some are experiencing random or multiplayer related crashes, however most bugs are being fixed in the next patch.

Since you enjoyed the original series you're sure to like the HD remakes, plus the multiplayer in TSE HD is awesome!

I think the only question you should ask yourself is: "Do I want to pay €20 for TSE HD and maybe also €15 for TFE HD, or do I wait for a weekend steam sale for TSE HD or perhaps a bundle of TFE HD + TSE HD, which in total will be cheaper?"

Processor
05-07-2010, 09:23 AM
I purchased this game the day it was released and still play it now. It's easily worth the $20 it's being sold for.

evil_Vasile
05-07-2010, 10:16 AM
http://www.getgamesgo.com/catalogue/game/serious-sam-hd-second-encounter

It's on a discount so it's about 15.29 pounds. Thats around 22 dollars buuut in euros its 17.75 or so, so that means its actually cheaper if you live in Europe and plan on getting SSHD:TSE.

Still if I didn't want to spend 20 euros on it (which it is totally worth and I've already spent) and didn't have TFE either, I'd wait untill steam releases a SSHD pack that includes both of them and has a discount.

IIIIGooseIIII
05-07-2010, 10:37 AM
With the exception of the crossfire issues I'm convinced. I'll do some poking around to see what kinds of issues folks are having.

Thanks for all the info, folks.

seseorang
05-07-2010, 12:17 PM
[...]the same game with prettier graphics :)

Actually, it's more than just a whole bunch of higher resolution textures. There is more stuff added to TSE than the original

Animositisomina
05-07-2010, 03:59 PM
It's the same basic game. If anything, they removed more than they added. The 'special gravity' areas are gone, replaced quite poorly in the HD version. Many of the textures in-game are not HD/high-resolution at all, and look identical to those in the original. The only "new" thing (other than the graphical upgrade) is that they added a couple extra secrets in one or two levels. Oh, and multiplayer has some new game modes... but nothing special. Deathmatch, Team DM, CTF... typical stuff. The rest are throwaways that you'll probably play twice and forget about.

MADDOGGE
05-07-2010, 04:06 PM
It's the same basic game. If anything, they removed more than they added. The 'special gravity' areas are gone, replaced quite poorly in the HD version. Many of the textures in-game are not HD/high-resolution at all, and look identical to those in the original. The only "new" thing (other than the graphical upgrade) is that they added a couple extra secrets in one or two levels. Oh, and multiplayer has some new game modes... but nothing special. Deathmatch, Team DM, CTF... typical stuff. The rest are throwaways that you'll probably play twice and forget about.Just go far far far away! :mad::mad::mad:

Animositisomina
05-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Just go far far far away! :mad::mad::mad:

I suppose at this point I should mention that I love the game, have both the original Serious Sam TFE and TSE, as well as Serious Sam 2, and I now own both of the HD versions of TFE and TSE. I'm a big fan of the entire series and have played TSE CoOp for many years.

I am simply stating facts. The HD versions lack many "high-resolution" textures, the intro to TSE was removed, the "special gravity" areas have been replaced, et cetera. Nothing I've said about the game isn't true. You have every right to object to my opinion... but this isn't an opinion. It's a fact. Play the original and then play the HD version yourself.

That said, I STILL LOVE THE GAME AND AM HAPPY TO HAVE PURCHASED BOTH HD VERSIONS.

padgey2010
05-07-2010, 10:02 PM
i agree with animositisomina although i wish you had a shorter name :P ive noticed certain textures looking a bit rubbish go and find one of the red telephone boxes and look at the telephone in there it clearly hasnt changed at all i also own the originals on disc and now both the HD versions im just a bit let down with the graphics as this was the main reason for the re-release of the game as there is no new monsters, levels or weapons

Animositisomina
05-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Fixed. Now its a fact. (Note, fact accuracy may not be 100%, but it is closer than the original post)

Also Survival mode is AWESOME. Coin-Op is AWESOME, and so is Beast Hunt. But this is just my opinion :P

Yawn. Please find a new meme, "fixed" is quite worn-out at this point. Also, I like how you conveniently leave out the parts where I state that I love this game, despite the few flaws I mentioned.

marroon69
05-09-2010, 04:55 AM
I am not sure this game was worth the it....I bought it base on this thread but it is kind of lame. Graphically it is good but content...it seems to feel that throwing more and more enemies at you makes a good game. By the time you get to the end of a level it is kind of annoying...waves of enemies that seem to appear out of thin air. which seems to break the flow of the game....so you work at completing one wave and then the next comes and again and again. So fast it makes it hard to save and thus repetitive. I guess if that is what you are looking for go ahead but it was kind of annoying to me..........

evil_Vasile
05-09-2010, 08:38 AM
@Animositisomina: D'oh. Well I didn't "conveniently" leave out anything. It is really clear that you love the game (and so do I) and there was no need to repeat it. So there's no point to argue on that... I chose said post because you state you are quote: "stating facts" and said facts didn't seem very "fact-like" to me... It was not my intention to "attack" you in any way or anything similar, I simply reshaped said post to match my idea of a "fact".

@maroon69: Well... yea it basically is wave after wave after wave of enemies. That's actually the whole point of the game. You either love it or you hate it.

Processor
05-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Animositisomina, please list all of the improvements/additions to the new game and anything you felt was a drawback. I'm sure the improvements and additions far outweigh the drawbacks.

marroon69, all you had to do was watch a few youtube videos to know that before you bought it... I personally love this type of game. It's just a fun, laid back and at times rather intense fps. The puzzles, secrets and achievements are nice to have in the game as well. The new multiplayer modes rock and I'm glad Croteam decided to do them.

MADDOGGE
05-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Yawn. Please find a new meme, "fixed" is quite worn-out at this point. Also, I like how you conveniently leave out the parts where I state that I love this game, despite the few flaws I mentioned.Thats great you say you love the game but from you post one doesn't get that impression. It's the same basic game. If anything, they removed more than they added. The 'special gravity' areas are gone, replaced quite poorly in the HD version. Many of the textures in-game are not HD/high-resolution at all, and look identical to those in the original. The only "new" thing (other than the graphical upgrade) is that they added a couple extra secrets in one or two levels. Oh, and multiplayer has some new game modes... but nothing special. Deathmatch, Team DM, CTF... typical stuff. The rest are throwaways that you'll probably play twice and forget about. What I got was an overall negative feeling toward the game. I have the original retails also and no longer see any need to keep them installed anymore on my rig being quite satisfied that they delivered exactly what they promised with the new HD versions. Not a remake, they never said they were doing that (nor did you) but a buffed up version that would run on new equipment and OS's. To that end they more than accomplished that mission.

bybeach
05-09-2010, 10:30 AM
This is the one I would, and did buy. Just waiting for the dl. Even though the second encounter is a tack-on to the First, it seemed to me the game Serious Sam came together in this effort. The graphics, lunacy, tactics and such. To me, the first encounter is simply weak compared to this. Won't even discuss SS2