PDA

View Full Version : Steam game backup feature broken on GW

ivucica
05-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Cheers,

I needed to temporarily "liberate" 2gb on my system drive, so I backed up Guild Wars (as I do ordinarily with Steam Games) and I removed it. When I restored it, it decided that the game was not downloaded and restarted from scratch. Downloading 2gb is NOT fun, especially since, dunno, maybe I cannot download it at home? That's what Steam's backup feature is for.

This is with GW:GOTY.

ArenaNet, NCSoft, Valve, someone please take a peek; not so much for my sake, but for other players' sake.

Gentle
05-06-2010, 09:29 PM
That's strange.

I've had to actually move my gw.dat file to a flash media drive to free up space and after returning it to it's proper place all was fine.

You didn't just hit one of the usual "updates" and think it was downloading the entire game again, did you?

Gentle

confid3nt
05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Yea, too bad OP didn't know about the issue. The best way to do is just manual copy the folder somewhere else.

julemand101
05-06-2010, 10:15 PM
I think the reason is that Steam always download the files again if the checksum is wrong. Because the gw updater is updating the gw.dat files, Steam see this changes as "hey this file has not the same checksum as the file I have". Steam will in this case download the file again from the Steam server to get the "right" version.

Guild Wars is not designed to be distributed on Steam (because gw and Steam both have their update programs) and my best tip is to make a manuel backup of the Guild Wars dir next time.

ivucica
05-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks, everyone! All you said makes perfect sense. Perhaps Valve ought to disable backup feature for GW, and throw a message about what should be done to avoid redownload? Or, disable checksum verification in case Guild Wars (and other similar games) was restored from backup?

spyrochaete
05-07-2010, 12:32 PM
"hey this file has not the same checksum as the file I have"

+rep for this smart deduction. It's a shame that Guild Wars is such a compact and portable game on its own, but not on Steam.