PDA

View Full Version : I DARE you in Civ4

Rsunset327
05-06-2010, 11:19 PM
To WIN using Japan in the Earth scenario. I've tried about 25 times now. It's just not possible on Noble or above. Seriously, you CAN NOT do it.

Go ahead and give it your best shot!! Post how far you get before you say "screw it" and exit to desktop hahahaha.

I've gotten to about 1800 maybe 5 times by the skin of my teeth. This is with 1000 years of pure war with China and India making slow, steady progress before some sneaky SOB slides around back and decimates Japan itself from underneath me....

RAAAAGE!!!

Go ahead and try to settle Australia or N America with the barbarian towns at 6-10 when you show up :(

Washell
05-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Personal skill matters in Civilization. It's like saying that because you can't beat chess program X, no-one can beat it. While a person like Kasparov can beat that same program consistently.

Rsunset327
05-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I've played since Civilization first showed up ages ago. I'm no noob haha. It's just that particular civ in that particular scenario. If you want a mind numbing session of pure frustration, it's perfect. Japan island doesn't have a lot going on resource wise and that slow start is what really does the first real damage.

It's still fun to try. In fact, loading it up right now!

Rsunset327
05-07-2010, 12:19 PM
It's officially impossible to be Japan on Earth. I've tried every different tactic imaginable. This is an open challenge to any of you on Noble or higher. It simply can NOT be won. Even if you slowly push the Chinese into oblivion and settle all of Asia, by the time 1950 rolls around Germany is already building freakin SS Casings.

I bow my head in shame and give up.

spyrochaete
05-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Japan on Earth is really tough because you get such a small landmass with so few resources. That's why I always play on pangaea - because I'm a Civ wuss!

Modiga-Disabled
05-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Turn 218 - Invasion of China has begun. I am walking all over them, they cannot match my swordsmen.

The resources seem pretty good to me. There's plenty of food resources allowing quick population growth. There is gold and silver, enabling you to blitz technology research and finally there's iron and copper, which means you're able to churn out swordsmen, axemen and spearmen.

Optimise your build order and you can invade the Chinese before they can build up their defences too much. You'll probably lose a lot of units, but gains early on provide the foundation for the necessary coin-churning needed to keep a lead.

Oh and don't be afraid to give techs away to other civs that could become potential complications whilst you attack the Chinese. Get alphabet quickly enough and get a scout to make contact with all the other civs and you can broker techs to the extent that giving the odd one away doesn't matter too much.

This is noble difficulty, by the way.

Rsunset327
05-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Congrats! Tell me how you're looking in about 1900 please! I'm going to try again skipping religion totally to see how that goes for me and focus on early Samurai.

I can usually wipe out the fail Mongols in the north but by the time I get China to the last couple cities....it just ain't happening :(

I'll try tomorrow anyway haha.

Modiga-Disabled
05-07-2010, 03:06 PM
I didn't bother at all with religion. I especially didn't bother with wonders. There's space on Japan for two good cities. Wasting half your output for 50+ turns is nothing short of disastrous.

I'm trying to remember my research order. I think it was: mining, sailing, bronze working, pottery, writing, alphabet, iron working.

City placement is a bit of a ♥♥♥♥♥ though. You're pretty much forced to build on top of one of the resources. At least, you are if you want to maximise production, have access to the luxuries (I built on incense and silk? (one buy iron and copper) on the grounds that their bonuses wouldn't be obtainable until much later on) and also get some good food sources.

Oh and samurai are something worth aiming for, but don't wait until you get them before you attack. Attack early and often.

Avs
05-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Just did this. Since your OP states that any victory condition is possible, I did this via diplomacy, permanent alliances, with my ally building the spaceship.

Rsunset327
05-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys, you've motivated me to give it another go. Taking out every civ doesn't seem possible but once I "WIN" something, I'll give it a shot haha.

Avs
05-07-2010, 04:11 PM
I'll try it on domination/conquest. I think you should limit the victory conditions if you are trying for a conquest/domination victory. The issue with victory conditions is that they all don't scale over time the same so its impossible to win say Space Race, if timed victory is enabled and techs haven't gotten there yet.

Modiga-Disabled
05-07-2010, 04:41 PM
I'll try it on domination/conquest. I think you should limit the victory conditions if you are trying for a conquest/domination victory. The issue with victory conditions is that they all don't scale over time the same so its impossible to win say Space Race, if timed victory is enabled and techs haven't gotten there yet.

Does depend on the difficulty. I played as Darius on noble and had nukes in 18th or 19th century.

Acdbrn2000
05-08-2010, 03:27 AM
i had mechanized units in 1850. most of the others had riflemen, one had machine gunners.

Modiga-Disabled
05-09-2010, 10:20 AM
China and Mongolia are down. :D

Leaves plenty of room to expand to.

Rsunset327
05-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Just for a change I figured I'd do Aztecs on the Ice Age Earth map. I played for about 40 turns before realizing....I WAS IN JAPAN!! Damn you game!! Hahaha.

billybobjoe198
05-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I played once and made it to 2015,
From about the beginning of time I was at war with China because I wanted to spread into Asia. I got one town then for the next ~3000 years it was a stalemate till we made peace. After that I settled in North America and made 2 cities, one of which just to secure Oil and the resource for nukes, can't think up the name right now, then attacked a barbarian nation there and gained it. America quickly became very productive, and because of this, I was able to declare war on China and take 2 more places until we made peace. Then later Mongolia declared war on me, and because he was a vassal of China, China got in on it and I lost my 2 Chinese cities only to get them back when my boats had time to ship troops across the pacific, plus steal a Mongolian city. Then the space race really got started, I got a late start and a Civ with 4000 points was basically my only competition for it because the rest were at war. I soon lost with about 20% of my ship done, life went on and it reached 2015 with the world at peace. So I didn't 'lose', I just didn't win.

Modiga-Disabled
05-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I just finished researching communism and physics. The year is 1270.

Maybe I shouldn't have dropped the difficulty down to noble. :p

Avs
05-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Does depend on the difficulty. I played as Darius on noble and had nukes in 18th or 19th century.

Yup, I'm talking Noble.

eheht
05-12-2010, 11:30 PM
I haven't tried out japan in the world scenario yet, my brother inlaw did and he beat it. (btw If it's really hard for you, turn tech trading off, the computers trade with each other a lot and leave unfair deals for you, the human player.)

Modiga-Disabled
05-19-2010, 03:41 PM
I won on Noble difficulty with 96K points at around 1761AD. Got a conquest victory. I reached a point where I decided there was no point dragging it out any further and systematically declared war on each opponent in turn (except India who had the sense to agree to be my vassal anyway), march my infantry in against their longbowmen, take a few cities until they agree to capitulate and then move on to the next Civ.

Funny thing was all the other civs had a please disposition towards me because I returned all their cities after taking them. There's really no point keeping cities crushed by opposition cultural borders a long way from the rest of your cities.