PDA

View Full Version : Driving at night

old timer
05-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Oh! RW,for some headlights on our Engines,Please!

arizonachris
05-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah, would be nice to have some light shine ahead of the loco you are driving, eh? :)

cbf36
05-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi! Sorry, guys, but to my knowledge this is not possible within the coding of RW, and there has been many threads on this subject. Attempts have been made to simulate lights, but none actually throw lights on the tracks. Apparently, when RS was made, working train lights were not required as European train do not use them. They only have sufficient lighting so that people can see that a train is approaching. Cheers; Chuck F.

Theblob76
05-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Apparently, when RS was made, working train lights were not required as European train do not use them. They only have sufficient lighting so that people can see that a train is approaching. Cheers; Chuck F.

Hi Chuck,

From here, by RSDerek, UKTS forums (http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=314&t=100104&p=1219643&hilit=working+headlights#p1219643)

There is currently no point lighting in the RWs engine, which is what you are asking for.
It is planned next year, (it is not a case of just writting a few lines of code)
There was direction lighting from the headlights which is in but causes graphical issues.
There are a number of issue that need to be addressed before all are in and working.

There are many driving/simulation/funtionality areas that will get attention first before the lighting.
Will it get get done? Yes,
When? I'll let you know when I have a clear idea.

regards

Derek

sortedout
05-09-2010, 09:09 PM
no lights at night... wow.

arizonachris
05-09-2010, 11:14 PM
no lights at night... wow.

Well, yeah, but consider, you are driving on rails, not a road. Use the 2D map and you can see where you are, guys. ;)

matthewt1501
05-10-2010, 05:58 AM
Well, yeah, but consider, you are driving on rails, not a road. Use the 2D map and you can see where you are, guys. ;)

Exactly... it has that " '44 blitz" feel about driving locos.

For those that don't know;
The drivers used to thunder along at line speed in pitch black at night. During a raid they used to hide in a tunnel if they could. The royal train, would actually park up for the night in a tunnel if the Royal Family where on board.

If there were no tunnels around the Driver where allowed to use any means possible to outrun stukas/straffing (or so I've heard).

One night during the war, a train load of heavy munitions (Artillary Shells) where being ferried by a slow local freight train. The fireman noticed a fire on the train 2 wagons back from the tender. The Driver stopped the train, and they went to uncouple the remaining wagons. They pulled the wagon with the fire on to the outskirts of the town. Just as they passed the last road crossing, the train exploded.. killing the driver and fireman... and leaving one big hole in the ground. But those two brave men saved a town. There is a memorial in the town to the Driver and fireman.

Cheers

Matt