PDA

View Full Version : Game is too addictive

rushtodeath
05-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Spent the past 6 hours fighting the Japanese-Malinese War.

I had so much stuff to do tonight too lol

Afflack
05-11-2010, 09:46 PM
I spent 4 hours fighting off them Chinese from taking my land as Japan, also I had a three page essay due.

It is a great game :)

Arquebusierx
05-11-2010, 09:58 PM
The worst thing about it is that you /really/ don't notice how much time is sunk into your game until you realize its 1 am and you haven't ate dinner yet. You are about to quit, something comes up, and then the classic "Oh... one more turn".

minerva79
05-11-2010, 10:45 PM
The worst thing about it is that you /really/ don't notice how much time is sunk into your game until you realize its 1 am and you haven't ate dinner yet. You are about to quit, something comes up, and then the classic "Oh... one more turn".

And all the sudden, it felt like 1991 all over again. LOL. :D

Gunishment
05-12-2010, 11:04 AM
If it interests any of you, there's an option in the menu to add a in-game clock to the top right of the UI. I find it useful to not completely lose track of time but i also get that for a lot of you thats part of the appeal.:D

MindlessMachina
05-12-2010, 12:02 PM
I just got done with a ~13 (give or take a few hours) hour game with my brother and some AIs. I didn't eat the entire time, I just sat in front of my computer. This game... geez.

On the bright side I came out way on top and crushed everything after my brother become my vassal. Of course, two people versus computer opponents isn't that big of a deal, but we did crush them just the same...

floyd_99
05-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Same here. What an awesome game. Just finished a 15 hour game over the course of 2 days. Was unhealthy but I couldn't stop. So glad I picked this up for $10!!

I played on normal difficulty since its my first civ iv (played 1 and 2 tons back in the day) game. The AI was ok. In terms of military, they were fairly challenging - amassing huge stacks and surprising me with their mobility. What I wasn't very impressed with was their reluctance to admit defeat. It seems like if I have Riflemen, and the AI mostly has Crossbowmen - and I have hugely more culture, cities and landmass - they should just give up.

Finally the Holy Roman's gave up after I asked them to. Shouldn't they be contacting me for Peace Treaties and whatnot before I occupy their capital? That was the only major issue I discovered.

After I kicked Charlemagne and the Khmer off my continent, I made peace with everyone - and built some Wonders in my main 3 cities to win by Culture. Damn fun!

Ash88
05-12-2010, 07:31 PM
A cautionary tale:

5 years ago I was happily married with a beautiful wife, 2 great kids (Jason and Alex - 8 and 6) and we lived in a really nice home right outside of San Diego - about an hour East.

My wife, Sarah, and I would spend some weekends working on the garden, or drinking wine with friends. My kids were doing very well in school and they really loved me (don't ask me how I managed to get the whole package - it was just luck).

First Monday of every month was Poker night. The guys would come over and play a few rounds, drink some brandy, smoke a cigar out on the patio. I wasn't the best in the game, but I wasn't the worst.

My friend Joel talked about Civ 4 at one of these little get togethers. He mentioned that it was a great game - well balanced, lots of fun, and really addictive. I remember it well because that was the last time I ever saw Joel. He was a web designer guy or something... I never understood it - but he was a techie kind of guy.

The next month Joel never showed for Poker. It was odd. No call, and no warning. I gave a call to his house that night but the number had been disconnected. A few days later I called his work (I had to track down the number - another long story). Joel hadn't worked there in 6 weeks. It was odd.

Our Poker game kind of fell apart after that - you know how these things are. No one knew what had happened to Joel but we figured he must have moved back East or something - Emergency Like. His girlfriend dropped off some stuff she thought he had borrowed off me, and mistakenly in that box was an install disk for Civ 4 BTS. It wasn't mine, but I didn't notice it was in there until too late.

With the occasional Monday night free (Sarah had some girl thing going on - scrapbooking or something - I never got it - and a babysitter we had used for a long time with the kids) I decided to install this game Joel had mentioned. I loaded it up, and played my first game.

Then things get a little hazy - as some of you struggling with this know. At first it was just a late night. Then an all nighter. My wife would come down and ask me to do something-rather - I didn't pay much attention. The Babylonians had backstabbed me and it was taking all my energy and time to make them pay. The war was touch and go - it could have gone either way.

I remember some time later... 8 weeks, maybe 10? Not sure. My wife informed me that their was a message on the machine from my boss - yep, terminated... job abandonment? Something. She mentioned about going to her Mothers house(?I think?) with the kids. That was the last I saw of them.

I went up to answer the door for the pizza a few days ago (I order a few at a time and freeze them so that I don't have to be presentable to answer the door). I managed to get on social assistance, but I had to move. I didn't want to move all my stuff so I just ordered a new bed and desk and sold the house straight up - all furnished. The funds will keep me set for a while as long as I don't go crazy with toppings on my pizza.

Last thing I noticed during the move was that the garden had all died. Need to get a worker on it.

So I looked at a calendar the other day - I'm not sure why. It's been 5 years. Jason and Alex are 13 and 11 now. Not sure where they are. I have some sweet skills though... I can clear a SCC on Monarch on normal size maps before 1AD. I prefer playing the difficult civs - anyone who plays Elizabeth is a newb.

I bumped into Joel online in a Game of the Month forum. We have been doing some multiplayer. It's nice to play someone who has some skills. He is living in the apartment building across from me. We plan to meet up some day...

It's great though... I wake up and sit down in front of my PC (I will update it for Civ 5)... and 20 hours later I get kind of tired so I go to bed. I put cardboard over all the windows to reduce glare... I have the sweetest set up!

Anyways, I mentioned this was a cautionary tale... If you find yourself in this sweet kind of set up like me make sure you tip your pizza guy. I didn't once and now they make me take the elevator down to the front door every time to get the pizza (they won't bring it in anymore... they say my apartment reeks, but I know its about the tip... dammit!).

I took the time to write this because I'm in a multiplayer game and some newb is taking too long for turns. I've been meaning to brag about my sweet setup for some time but I've always just figured I'd play one more turn instead.

See you in Civ 5 newbs!

ton de mo nai
05-12-2010, 08:32 PM
A cautionary tale:

Brilliant!
Would read again.

Europhoria
05-12-2010, 10:01 PM

1 am?! I've gone past 5am by accident a few times. All I remember is saying, oh, it's only 10pm, I'll eat after conquering the French. They only have a few cities etc. Oh wait, they called in a few allies, so I might as well redeploy my forces to this border so I can get stuck into them right away when I come back. Hey, that redeployment didn't take long, I reckon I could pick off a few cities quickly. Looks like they expended a great deal of strength defending, then trying to counter attack leaving several of their cities lightly defended so I may as well pick them off now. Now that I'm half way through their empire, it shouldn't take long to finish them off. WTF sunlight?! :mad:

If it interests any of you, there's an option in the menu to add a in-game clock to the top right of the UI. I find it useful to not completely lose track of time but i also get that for a lot of you thats part of the appeal.:D

I hate that clock. Real men go by the sound of birds in the morning, or the filtering of sunlight through the small crack between your curtains. ;)

I just got done with a ~13 (give or take a few hours) hour game with my brother and some AIs. I didn't eat the entire time, I just sat in front of my computer. This game... geez.

I wonder if you got up to go to the bathroom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br1BWPWEdlQ). :D

Same here. What an awesome game. Just finished a 15 hour game over the course of 2 days. Was unhealthy but I couldn't stop. So glad I picked this up for $10!!

I played on normal difficulty since its my first civ iv (played 1 and 2 tons back in the day) game. The AI was ok. In terms of military, they were fairly challenging - amassing huge stacks and surprising me with their mobility. What I wasn't very impressed with was their reluctance to admit defeat. It seems like if I have Riflemen, and the AI mostly has Crossbowmen - and I have hugely more culture, cities and landmass - they should just give up.

Finally the Holy Roman's gave up after I asked them to. Shouldn't they be contacting me for Peace Treaties and whatnot before I occupy their capital? That was the only major issue I discovered.

After I kicked Charlemagne and the Khmer off my continent, I made peace with everyone - and built some Wonders in my main 3 cities to win by Culture. Damn fun!

In BtS, the AI tends to run to another faction to become a vassal. It really bothers me that I have to declare war at times, on excellent trading partners with a good diplomatic history.

A cautionary tale:

This would have made a much better film than Jumanji. Instead of stampedes of rhinos, you would have chariots and Mongol hordes bursting through your living room cutting everything to shreds.

lowwizard
05-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Ive only been playing Fall from Heaven 2, and Ive already invested 19 hours in this game since I bought it sunday night.

Nerf the addictiveness of this game.

Rsunset327
05-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Damn, I just realized I've spent most of the day playing with mods like FFH and Orbis...crap! I didn't do any work. Thankfully I work from home :D

dk89
05-13-2010, 11:16 PM
In BtS, the AI tends to run to another faction to become a vassal. It really bothers me that I have to declare war at times, on excellent trading partners with a good diplomatic history.

Yeah... its really... really... REALLY annoying. Specially when your rival is trying to crowd you out. After the same city for the 5th freakin time revolted and kept asking me to join the other empire I said screw it, I'm declaring war!

Well... Turns out I just declared war on pretty much every single other civilization out there... That bastard.

So I nuked em all. :D

Won by space race too :D

Gunishment
05-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah... its really... really... REALLY annoying. Specially when your rival is trying to crowd you out. After the same city for the 5th freakin time revolted and kept asking me to join the other empire I said screw it, I'm declaring war!

Well... Turns out I just declared war on pretty much every single other civilization out there... That bastard.

So I nuked em all. :D

Won by space race too :D

Lol, you nuked everyone, set off global warming and eventual planet death and then you're like "k, bye guis:D:D:D". You should have nucked your own lands on the way out so they couldnt use them either:)

I hate that clock. Real men go by the sound of birds in the morning, or the filtering of sunlight through the small crack between your curtains. ;)

I am undone sir! <shame>

Cybik
05-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Just bought the game and spent quite a while just playing the tutorial....should I be afraid? :eek:

Rehehelly
05-14-2010, 05:59 PM

1am? Man I start my games at like 11pm then when i'm finished conquering the world I look outside and it's sunny.

..that's really screwed my sleeping pattern up this week :P

Belmondo
05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
This game wins my 'One more turn-wow, is it really four in the morning?' award.

tmk
05-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Just bought the game and spent quite a while just playing the tutorial....should I be afraid? :eek:
It is just a begining. Prepare for "one more turn" :D

End of turn. Press enter.

Loki2643
07-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Ever had to buy something to drink and thought "just one more turn" and then realized, that you're two hours too late for the supermarket? :D

runtheplacered
07-21-2010, 08:54 PM
I have unfortunate news, everybody. Civ V has been delayed to TBA 2011. Apparently the Devs were internally beta testing the game when they got caught in the "one more turn" mode and that set them back quite a ways. That sucks.

Bantams
07-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Yes it sure is www.civanon.com

Quint
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
I was thinking about giving Civ 5 a try...is it really this addictive?I am scared:eek:

Uomomuro
08-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I've spent days trying to win world war II.....it was such an awesome feeling when i conquered anyone in europe and I gathered all my army to invade the US :).
Honestly, if we didn't have to spend days to win, it wouldn't be as satisfactory.

orcboyphil
08-16-2010, 12:36 AM
I'd have proberly got over this addiction pretty early if it wasn't for the bloody Rhyes and Fall mod on BTS. However fear not fellow Civanons, there is a cure. A game of Colonization will quickly make you hate 4x style games, though there is a 90% of relapse and repeat therpys have disminishing results.