PDA

View Full Version : Steam for Mac

popcorncolonel
05-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Hi guys, it's May 12th.

This was the -supposed- official release date for steam for mac, yet there is no download option and the beta still doesn't work :confused:. Anyone know when this is actually coming out?

Thanks

Haliburt
05-12-2010, 04:39 AM
It does come out today, but I'm gonna wait until, like, 8 before I try to find it again. They have a history of doing this anyway. L4D was released at 11:59 pm on it's release date.

Washell
05-12-2010, 04:42 AM
May 12th isn't over yet. Releases are usually done when valve employees are at work. Valve is in Seattle and at time of typing it's 4:40 in the morning. I'd say the release is about 8 hours away.

popcorncolonel
05-12-2010, 04:43 AM
Awww ok then.

I'll guess I'll just be here waiting....

Pilotclan9404
05-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Yea it's 4:46 am dude... Timezones man timezones...

( I live in seattle )

zezzex
05-12-2010, 05:09 AM
does this mean we are going to start seeing treads about apple hardware and OS's here?? I sure hope someone makes a mac hardware and Operating Systems forum.

Pilotclan9404
05-12-2010, 05:16 AM
does this mean we are going to start seeing treads about apple hardware and OS's here?? I sure hope someone makes a mac hardware and Operating Systems forum.

God i hope so

notavirus.exe
05-12-2010, 05:51 AM
This is going to be the MAC users first introduction to STEAM TIME

LOLOLOLOLOL

MAC users just know this, it comes out at any point between 1 am and 11:59 pm West coast time, so if your in a different timezone, adjust accordingly

zezzex
05-12-2010, 05:55 AM
MAC users just know this, it comes out at any point between 1 am and 11:59 pm West coast time, so if your in a different timezone, adjust accordingly

With a launch this big, i wouldn't be surprised if they ran into some problems along the way, and it could be delayed. Rest assured, they can work all night long to get it done.

Amander
05-12-2010, 06:00 AM
This is the aboutg 9th Steam-on-MacOS-thread I've seen today. Don't you guys search?

d0s3
05-12-2010, 06:43 AM
who cares how many threads!! I am excited either way.. now I can sell my PC!!

notavirus.exe
05-12-2010, 06:45 AM
who cares how many threads!! I am excited either way.. now I can sell my PC!!

or you can load mac os on your pc so you can actually have a ballin graphics card with out dropping 2k

Pilotclan9404
05-12-2010, 08:12 AM
or you can load mac os on your pc so you can actually have a ballin graphics card with out dropping 2k

haha yea - mavs are going to over heat and they are going to have to sped more on repairing them - thus this is how apple makes $

Also macs are over priced pieces of ♥♥♥♥

I could build a better pc for 400$

ALSO learn VALVE TIME

TheTSpencer
05-12-2010, 08:24 AM
did not one common modern turn of phrase once state that 'PCs are for work, and Macs are for play'?......

.....Well, I guess that just typing badly formatted letters and unnecessarily creating spreadsheets (for things that could have just been a list) as your work, then one should stick with Windows/Office for that, and similarly, you can now have an under-performing system to play games on; In your Mac.

It's pretty well known that drivers for hardware, especially graphics cards, make the items perform so much harder/better/faster/cleaner on the PC, when comparing like-for like hardware. i.e (9800GT on a mac compared to 9800GT on PC)

And the reason why? because there is no pressure or need to have the components working at the level and efficiency that PC gamers require; perhaps because there is no competition or alternative choice of card/ driver for a mac user.

Maybe, with more people realising that the graphics and memory throughput needs to be much higher when running games than it does when editing in Final Cut Pro, or even 3D rendering, then this awareness will therefore demand for the same performance from the users Nvidia/ATI product working under OSX that is has working under Windows.

I can only predict (Sorry, sit in cross-fingered HOPE!) that the adoption of Steam for the Mac, will push developers to make far more for the mac, soon, and when they are all having a little trouble getting the same frame-rates and anti-aliasing depths that they expect to have for the test hardware, then presto, we all get better hardware drivers for the mac, and maybe this revolution can really happen.

Myself currently, yeah of course, i'll try it, pop a few levels of portal in-between jobs etc. but I'd never risk my beloved L4D2 to work as well as it does on my PC. Did anyone play Bioshock on OSX yet? BioSHOCKING!!

This is the start people, not the finished deal - Mac gaming has a long way, and thanks to Valve, a framework has been placed to actually allow that long way to be a moving journey...But for the meantime, I'd like to go back to the statement at the beginning and flip around that 'once upon a time' statement: Especially with all the tools and amazingly integrated, cross-referencing in-built software suites that Mac OS has these days, I firmly enjoy the train of thought that 'Macs are for work, and PC's are very much, for play'

Mirek
05-12-2010, 09:48 AM
This is going to be the MAC users first introduction to STEAM TIME

LOLOLOLOLOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYU7oG2V7uc&feature=player_embedded#!

Zefar
05-12-2010, 01:12 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/news/3818/

It's out people. So I'm gonna lock this one. You can take it in the MAC thread. All though I thinking on locking it and re making it to get a clean start.