PDA

View Full Version : OS X: Steam stores downloaded games in Documents?

mixvio
05-12-2010, 11:47 AM
This makes me very frowny.

In addition to being against Apple's guidelines (it should be under ~/Applications, or ~/Library/Application Support at the very least) it's also a pain in the butt.

I'm obviously going to be a limited subset here, but I have my Documents folder stored within Dropbox, with a symlink pointing back to my home folder so all my document files get sync'd to my other computers. This means I've now got unnecessary game files sitting in the documents of my other computers, taking up unnecessary space. Because I sync my Documents folder with Dropbox, the trick with moving the folder out of Documents and creating a symlink back won't work, since Dropbox will still sync that too.

Is there anything I can submit feedback for over this? I'm surprised this decision went through the beta and was made live.

lukeman
05-12-2010, 11:53 AM
As I think this is a big oversight, I've submitted this as a bug. Valve can decide if it's worth changing, but if I were on the development team I'd be barking about this one. Below is the text of my support ticket:

Steam should not be saving game content into ~/Documents of the Mac. Support files of this type should always be installed to ~/Application Support/<App or Vendor Name>.

Using Application Support would also allow Steam to keep one copy of games for all users on the machine (they can use /Application Support/ for all user installations, ~/Application Support/ for single user installs). With ~/Documents being the install path, there is no good way to prevent multiple installs of games for multiple users.

~/Documents should really only contain user created files. A few other apps abuse it in a similar way (Microsoft Office stores user profiles in ~Documents), but dropping tens of gigs worth of game data in the documents folder is a mess. Application Support is there for this very reason.

Just a suggestion before everything gets released and changes become much harder to implement. Congrats to the engineering team on all of the huge changes you're managing to put out—I can only imagine the amount of work that has gone into this.

milkweg
05-12-2010, 11:54 AM
It's the game developers that choose to do that and not Steam/Valve. They are now storing game config files and game saves in non-standard folders and it annoys me too. The idea was to use Documents\Games\ for savegames so that your savegames wouldn't get deleted if you has to uninstall a game but now they are putting crap into User\*hidden* folders even. This should not be allowed and there is no good reason for it. In my perfect world every game would be required to ask when installing where you want to save config files and savegames.

mixvio
05-12-2010, 11:56 AM
It's the game developers that choose to do that and not Steam/Valve.

As far as I can see, there's content for Portal in there too; the directory structure looks identical to how the Steam directory on Windows looks; all the game executables are under Documents\Steam Content\common\{Game}

mixvio
05-12-2010, 11:57 AM
As I think this is a big oversight, I've submitted this as a bug.

How do you go about submitting bugs? I'll add one as well. Probably has better chance of being noticed than a forum thread.

RangerRick
05-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Steam should not be saving game content into ~/Documents of the Mac. Support files of this type should always be installed to ~/Application Support/<App or Vendor Name>.

You mean ~/Library/Application Support?

=)

But yeah, Documents is bad. It's only supposed to be for things the user created.

lukeman
05-12-2010, 12:04 PM

=)

But yeah, Documents is bad. It's only supposed to be for things the user created.

Yeah—left off Library. Need more coffee. ;)

I submitted this as a support "question." https://support.steampowered.com/

nano....
05-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Bump.

I have the same issue as the OP, with dropbox.

Would be nice even for now if we could simply move the directory.

lukeman
05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Bump.

I have the same issue as the OP, with dropbox.

Would be nice even for now if we could simply move the directory.

Selective sync for Dropbox has been 'coming soon' for a bit. Hopefully they can push that out soon.

Steam support sent me back here, as they didn't see this is a technical issue but a suggestion. Hopefully someone from the development team is reading and understands why we're raising a stink. I've already heard complaints from others about this.

d1g1t4L
05-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Good point, perhaps even valid. That said, VMWareFusion installs into Applications but all virtual machines are stored in Documents. I have several virtual machines that easily exceed the size of all my Steam games combined.

I should add that guidelines are exactly that. Personally, I think the correct way to do it would be to store all games under Applications/Steam and user content under Documents/Steam. We'll see what Valve does.

I'm still dizzy that Steam is on my Mac!

go1dfish
05-12-2010, 05:20 PM
This is a blocker in my case, that you can't specify where the game data is stored.

My main partition is quite full, but I have 50+ gigs on another HFS+ partition, but even if I move/symlink the used directories, steam refuses to download/install portal because I don't have the required space on the main partition.

INFERNO2K
05-12-2010, 05:27 PM
See my thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265291

tsukichan
05-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Indeed considering that more than one user can have a steam account and the same game, it should be in a system-wise location like in Windows, and following Apple Guidelines that should be /Library/Application Support (no ~/Library)

t1du
05-12-2010, 05:50 PM
See my thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265291

This thread has a post about symbolic links, I tried this and it works perfectly. A simple alias won't work, you need to go into terminal and type

-ln -s /whatever/whatever/target_location "Steam Content"

And put the created shortcut in your Documents folder. I have a small SSD as my OS drive and there was no way I was gonna have Steam install these huge games on there. I'm not sure if this solves the Dropbox problem, though.

This was definitely a HUGE oversight, I spent minutes going through the preferences looking for an option that is pretty much standard in most programs that download files for you...

SOBQX
05-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Agreed, this is a massive oversight on the part of the developers. I, too, have Dropbox configured to sync my documents directory across the internet, and as has been previously stated, symlinking and hardlinking do nothing to remedy this situation as the dropbox client will automatically traverse any filesystem links.

Moreover, it directly contrasts Apple's guidelines for OS X filesystem layout. For a little reference, Apple specifically lays out the appropriate locations for just such support files here:
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFileSystem/Articles/WhereToPutFiles.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001411-BAJHCHJI

Don’t Pollute User Space

It is important to remember that the user domain (/Users) is intended for files created by the user. With the exception of the ~/Library directory, your application should never install files into the user’s home directory. In particular, you should never install files into a user’s Documents directory or into the /Users/Shared directory. These directories should only be modified by the user.

Even if your application provides clip art or sample files that the user would normally manipulate, you should place those files in either the local or user’s Library/Application Support directory by default. The user can move or copy files from this directory as desired. If you are concerned about the user finding these files, you should include a way for the user to browse or access them directly from your application’s user interface.

Rojo
05-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah, please move this stuff into /Library/Application Support/Steam where it belongs.

Don't put it into the user library either, multiple users means multiple copies.

WaLLy3K
05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
SteamApps in /Library/Application Support and <Steam Username> in ~Library/Application Support

Although I see the user App Support folder in use by Steam, it just has bare bones information like ClientRegistry.blob

HobbitStomper
05-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Arghs! CRAP! And I have my Documents Folder synced with my iDisk :( No wonder my internet was so slow all evening... now I have Portal and Torchlight on iDisk...great!

Something like that seems like a huge issue. How can that have slipped the internal beta? I mean all Mac Devs are Mac users and should know stuff like that... :(

Michaekthegeek
05-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Let's hope this is changed soon. My app short cut is in user/apps in the finder.

asbjornu
05-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree. Duplicate, older and longer thread here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265291

ChrisNoble
05-13-2010, 11:32 AM

=)

Actually he means /Library/Application Support without the ~

Games files should be global. Save game information can go into ~/Library/Application Support I suppose.

cawas
05-19-2010, 06:22 PM
This subject have been already extensively talked about (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265291&page=11) and already have a "solution" (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271184) for now, given from the FAQ (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269939): http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271184

It's a script that basically does what others have suggested in this thread already: it moves the content to "/Library/Application Support/Steam Content" and makes a symlink to it. Other than making the symlink, there was another file there that would also "hide" the folder to prevent it being seeing from dropbox. It didn't work for me: `setfile -P -a V ~/Documents/Steam\ Content`

The only good practical solution I could work out is setting dropbox on a different folder.

Other than that, I say it's waiting for dropbox to implement their most requested feature (selective sync) (https://www.dropbox.com/votebox/10/selective-sync), or the Steam team to get some sense out of our beloved Steam mac client and at very least letting us customize the Content folder.

airbuz
05-29-2010, 05:50 AM
I also have Steam on Windows. There you can choose where to store the local content (the games).
Very easy, very simple.
I have 94 GB of Steam games on a disk I use just for my games. There wouldn't be room for that on my system disk.
I see no reason not to apply this option on the Mac Os version as well.
I'm sure everybody wants to have control over where to store very large files on their computer.
Right?

A_

Mangr0v3
05-29-2010, 05:54 AM
Please, do we really need another thread on this? This must be about the 5th. Valve have said they are working on it. Be patient.

airbuz
05-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Please, do we really need another thread on this? This must be about the 5th. Valve have said they are working on it. Be patient.

Sorry I didn't know.
Anyway, here is what Valve have to say about the issue:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/3857/

A_