PDA

View Full Version : Steam Needs to be Online to Update.

popcorncolonel
05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi guys, I just installed steam on my Mac. I am running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and when I try to start up Steam for Mac, I get the message, "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again." I am obviously on the internet, as I am typing this right now.

Anyone else getting this problem? Can anyone solve this?
Thanks,
PopcornColonel

EDIT: There was a folder in my <user>/Library/Application Support location called 'Steam' I deleted it and it worked fine.

rotNdude
05-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Moved to Help and Tips.

It's probably your router or firewall blocking the ports Steam needs to use.

djjerdog
05-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I am getting the same error, tried both wired/wireless and even bypassing the router completely.

GoatBnnn
05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
same problem here

I should mention the beta did NOT have this problem for me. Something has changed.

GoatBnnn
05-12-2010, 03:13 PM
It's probably your router or firewall blocking the ports Steam needs to use.

This really isnt helpful unless you tell us what ports to forward...

veggiecannibal
05-12-2010, 03:21 PM
I am having this problem, and I'm on a uni connection, so I can't easily forward ports, though I am pretty sure they are mostly open. I can use steam just fine on windows. I know I should be more appreciative, but I'm excited and this is a huuuuuge buzzkill. I was practically screaming when I heard Civ4 was a launch title.

djjerdog
05-12-2010, 03:24 PM
I have already tried bypassing my router by connecting straight into my cable modem and I still get the same error, this is NOT a router/firewall issue.

GoatBnnn
05-12-2010, 03:26 PM
EDIT: There was a folder in my <user>/Library/Application Support location called 'Steam' I deleted it and it worked fine.

Bingo! Thanks!

djjerdog
05-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Bingo! Thanks!

Very nice, more specifically you need to just delete "registry.vdf"

wakko701
05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I am having this same issue on both my Mac and PC. Deleting the folder/file does not help.... sigh...

dloe48
05-12-2010, 04:20 PM
thanks guys this thread got it working for me. +rep to popcorn.

Roxxoredizorz
05-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I'm having this same problem, but I don't have the Steam folder.:(

boredboredbored
05-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Still no joy for me either. I didn't have anything "Steam" installed on my mac prior to this, so there's no folder to delete.

Poggle
05-12-2010, 06:26 PM
I dont have a steam folder there either. I shou;d've expected this to be buggy on release.

iRod
05-12-2010, 06:54 PM
I do not have a steam folder in my application support for my user or for my system ! I was soo happy to be finally gaming on my mac and now steam won't even run , what hope have the games got !

iRod
05-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Hey the people who have a steam folder did you install the beta ??? Maybe that's the trick !

joseqq
05-12-2010, 07:06 PM
same issues with no folder available to delete, it was perhaps from the beta.

smr891
05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I am having the same issue it updates then says it has no connection. I also have no steam folder and did not have the beta. Anybody worked this out yet? grrr was so exited for this

bobleeswagger
05-12-2010, 09:03 PM
i am having the same problem, non of the listed possibilities that may help are not helping me, any specific things i can do that will make it work??

iRod
05-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Ok I have contacted support via email and sent a link to this thread !

Hope they get back to me soon !

I wanna blow off some steam !

bobleeswagger
05-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Ok I have contacted support via email and sent a link to this thread !

Hope they get back to me soon !

I wanna blow off some steam !

haha so true. so true

boredboredbored
05-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Got it working! If y'all are trying to install over wireless then disable that connection and plug in an ethernet cable. It seems like Steam doesn't like/recognize the wireless connection...

bobleeswagger
05-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Got it working! If y'all are trying to install over wireless then disable that connection and plug in an ethernet cable. It seems like Steam doesn't like/recognize the wireless connection...

im running an ethernet cable and it does not work still...

panda_bear
05-13-2010, 01:29 AM
I am having the same problem, with no Steam folder. I've been so excited for Steam on Mac, and this is such a massive disappointment...

cp21yos
05-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Getting the same "Steam needs to be online... "

Tried direct connected (ie. took the router out and just connected to the ADSL modem), different network and different Mac's (MPro, MBP, iMac & Mac Mini's) no joy so far.

Also tried to fix perms - nothing found to be wrong.

Looked for a folder to delete in Library/Application Support/Steam - no Steam folder...

handi360
05-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Try these (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711)

hope it helps

RovinHoot
05-13-2010, 02:06 AM
Don't bother with the router/ports stuff, if you are able to use Steam on your PC it should work on the Mac as well.

Back to the original question, if you haven't used the beta and don't already have the <user>/Library/Application Support/Steam folder, just create it then try again. It should fix your problem.

smr891
05-13-2010, 04:41 AM
IT WORKS

as above I added a empty folder called steam to make this path
<user>/Library/Application Support/Steam

AND now it opens, updates and ready to login.
SO SO SO SO SO SO HAPPY NOW

vze4rtzt
05-13-2010, 05:45 AM
Here's what I found worked, if you are using ethernet, switch to wireless and try again. If you're using wireless, switch to ethernet and try again. If you are one of the few people who don't have a wireless router then... gl. You could also just try disabling then re-enabling whichever connection you're using, that aught to do the same thing.

P.S. BYE BYE BOOT CAMP PARTITION!!!!!!

kinerry
05-13-2010, 07:07 AM
IT WORKS

as above I added a empty folder called steam to make this path
<user>/Library/Application Support/Steam

AND now it opens, updates and ready to login.
SO SO SO SO SO SO HAPPY NOW

This is the solution

To the people whining about not having that folder, you are looking in the wrong place.
You have to go to the specific user folder instead of the shared one. If you create a new user and try again and it connects...it should solve your problem AND prove me right at the same time.

iRod
05-13-2010, 07:08 AM
ATTN : Peer Guardian Users !

Start Peer Guardian , control click on the icon in the Dock. Choose Disable Filters. Quit Peer Guardian. Try Steam again !
:cool:

bobleeswagger
05-13-2010, 08:00 AM
WIth all these suggestions that maybe helping other people, i dont know, but i am still having the issue.. And im starting to get really frustrated with this, as i was very excited about hearing the release for mac, i am very disappointed.

AdamRoxton
05-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Creating a "Steam" folder in ~/Library/Application Support fixed the problem for me.

It's a shame, I think Steam lost a real opportunity here by screwing up the launch.

iRod
05-13-2010, 08:47 AM
If you have peer guardian installed you must disable it by doing this...

Start Peer Guardian , control click on the icon in the Dock. Choose Disable Filters. Quit Peer Guardian. Try Steam again !

Now you still need to make a new empty folder called Steam in your Application Support folder which is inside your Library folder which is inside your account name !

Go to Finder then Double click on your account name ( which has a little house next to it in the sidebar of Finder ) , Double click on Library , Double Click on Application Support. Now control click or right click and choose New Folder , finally rename the new folder to Steam.

The full path is yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam.

Enjoy !

Tetsujin
05-13-2010, 09:16 AM
There is any moderator to stick this useful thread, because I'm pretty sure that there is many person who still had this issue.

rascalb
05-13-2010, 10:26 AM
This is the solution

To the people whining about not having that folder, you are looking in the wrong place.
You have to go to the specific user folder instead of the shared one. If you create a new user and try again and it connects...it should solve your problem AND prove me right at the same time.

Well, I haven't been whining about missing that folder, as I just registered on this forum, but I am missing it. I also know how to tell the difference between a home folder and the shared users folder, which doesn't even have a Library folder.

I also created a new user, and I still have the internet connection error. So, you have been proven wrong.

To anyone else, I checked the application support folder in both my user and system library folders and did not see a Steam folder in either. I created one in each and that did not help either. Any other ideas?

apoorvkhatreja
05-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Okay guys, sorry for this late post, I figured the solution out a long time ago, but couldn't post because my account on this forum hadn't been approved by a moderator.

I'd like to say that I had tried all the methods listed in this thread before proceeding.

1) I had clean-uninstalled Steam (using AppCleaner).
2) Deleted ~/Library/Application Support/Steam. Recreated it.
3) Deleted the Valve plist file inside ~/Library/LaunchAgents/

Nothing worked.

HERE IS HOW I GOT STEAM TO WORK.

1) I figured out what was wrong by opening up Console.app (Its inside Applications >> Utilities). Steam was trying to update itself by retrieving the required files, but it failed on either 1 or 2 of them due to unknown reasons, and therefore gave the error "Steam needs to be online to update.". It was downloading 6 files, and so I copied the URLs of those 6 files from Console.app.

2) The URLs are -

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam_osx.zip.d12cdd05689faf3740edd5b61450b707e91e 64dc

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/miles_osx.zip.545c8201c2dfecdfe0eadd3e25491a54e4d4 5669

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/public_all.zip.3f435fab9e79cffe64d2be4474258f988d0 4e28f

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/bins_osx.zip.3c4fb6309dc9b42e4a71b7a00c76e4ff3844c 27d

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/webkit_osx.zip.e9f6626b75e938fc3c040082d0a24892a05 5f029

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/skins_all.zip.6a58428db616736d79a3374ba75abd29e2c1 276f

3) Download all the files using these links and save them somewhere temporarily. Note that the long string of text (for example 6a58428db616736d79a3374ba75abd29e2c1276f) after the .zip extension of the files is important, so you need to manually rename the files afterwards if your browser removes that part of the filename.

4) Now open up the Applications folder, right click on Steam.app, and click "Show Package Contents". Then navigate to /Contents/MacOS/. Here you should see a folder called "packages". If it isn't there, create it.

5) Copy all the files that you downloaded into this packages directory. Note that some of those may already exist there, no need to overwrite them.

6) Confirm that all 6 files listed above are placed in the directory.

7) Launch Steam. This time instead of updating, it should show "Extracting" and Steam should launch soon afterwards.

Though a bit long and tedious, this is a foolproof method, and works 100%.

bigal488
05-13-2010, 12:00 PM
I had the same problem - steam would try to update and after most of the update had downloaded, it would come up with the "needs to be online" error.
I tried 7 or 8 times and always with the same result.
There was no "Steam" folder in any of the Application Support folders.
I got it to work by first creating the Steam folder in /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/ ...but this didnt make any difference on its own.
I then disabled Little Snitch and unmounted my Boot Camp partition.
The next time I tried to run Steam it updated as expected and I'm now downloading Portal.

Although I have no idea why this worked, I hope this helps someone!:)

sammehd87
05-13-2010, 12:28 PM

Oh. My. God. THANK YOU for posting this. I have finally been able to get onto Steam on my Macbook through your method.

This solution needs to be reposted everywhere.

apoorvkhatreja
05-13-2010, 01:28 PM
@sammehd87

You're welcome :).

VinitoBlue
05-13-2010, 02:22 PM
ATTN : Peer Guardian Users !

:cool:

Solution right here!

wakko701
05-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Here's what I found worked, if you are using ethernet, switch to wireless and try again. If you're using wireless, switch to ethernet and try again. If you are one of the few people who don't have a wireless router then... gl. You could also just try disabling then re-enabling whichever connection you're using, that aught to do the same thing.

P.S. BYE BYE BOOT CAMP PARTITION!!!!!!

This worked for me!

I unplugged my LAN cable, connected to my router via WiFi, and connected [to steam]. I then turned off wi-fi and reattached my LAN cable... works.... seems like a STEAM networking problem.

edited for clarification.

bobleeswagger
05-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Okay guys, sorry for this late post, I figured the solution out a long time ago, but couldn't post because my account on this forum hadn't been approved by a moderator.

I'd like to say that I had tried all the methods listed in this thread before proceeding.

Nothing worked.

1) I figured out what was wrong by opening up Console.app (Its inside Applications >> Utilities). Steam was trying to update itself by retrieving the required files, but it failed on either 1 or 2 of them due to unknown reasons, and therefore gave the error "Steam needs to be online to update.". It was downloading 6 files, and so I copied the URLs of those 6 files from Console.app.

2) The URLs are -

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam_osx.zip.d12cdd05689faf3740edd5b61450b707e91e 64dc

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/miles_osx.zip.545c8201c2dfecdfe0eadd3e25491a54e4d4 5669

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/public_all.zip.3f435fab9e79cffe64d2be4474258f988d0 4e28f

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/bins_osx.zip.3c4fb6309dc9b42e4a71b7a00c76e4ff3844c 27d

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/webkit_osx.zip.e9f6626b75e938fc3c040082d0a24892a05 5f029

http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/client/skins_all.zip.6a58428db616736d79a3374ba75abd29e2c1 276f

3) Download all the files using these links and save them somewhere temporarily. Note that the long string of text (for example 6a58428db616736d79a3374ba75abd29e2c1276f) after the .zip extension of the files is important, so you need to manually rename the files afterwards if your browser removes that part of the filename.

4) Now open up the Applications folder, right click on Steam.app, and click "Show Package Contents". Then navigate to /Contents/MacOS/. Here you should see a folder called "packages". If it isn't there, create it.

5) Copy all the files that you downloaded into this packages directory. Note that some of those may already exist there, no need to overwrite them.

7) Launch Steam. This time instead of updating, it should show "Extracting" and Steam should launch soon afterwards.

i clicked on one of those links to download it and didnt work error says that safari cannot open the file...

iRod
05-13-2010, 09:52 PM
i clicked on one of those links to download it and didnt work error says that safari cannot open the file...

If it's not downloading then it's blocked. Make sure you have created the empty folder as detailed in above posts and disable any filtering program like little snitch , peer guardian and turn off any firewall programs and settings in mac osx and check your router configuration and make sure it's firewall is off too !

apoorvkhatreja
05-13-2010, 10:03 PM
I use Opera and the links work fine for me. Try again, there seems to be some issues with the files.

rascalb
05-14-2010, 07:45 AM

Unfortunately, it seems to have only worked 100% for you. I followed the directions exactly (by the way, the folder is called "package" not "packages") and it did not work. I opened up the console log and found that it was trying to get newer versions of steam_osx, public_all, bins_osx, and webkit_osx. I downloaded those, and still nothing.

After reading the log, these entries stuck out:

[0x0-0x1c21c2].com.valvesoftware.steam[5526] Failed! http://store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam_client_osx?date=707691

[0x0-0x1c21c2].com.valvesoftware.steam[5526] Download failed: http error 400

[0x0-0x1c21c2].com.valvesoftware.steam[5526] bootstrap_look_up: (os/kern) unknown error code (44e)

From what I remember, an http 400 error is normally for bad syntax. I don't know what an error 44e is.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

bobleeswagger
05-14-2010, 03:43 PM
If it's not downloading then it's blocked. Make sure you have created the empty folder as detailed in above posts and disable any filtering program like little snitch , peer guardian and turn off any firewall programs and settings in mac osx and check your router configuration and make sure it's firewall is off too !

all that is done.. i dont have peer guardian, nor little snitch, firewall is turned off and im running no router on my comp at all....

curlycon08
05-14-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm having similar problems. Tried all of the previous fixes, (creating 'Steam' folder, DL'ing files, have no router/peer guardian/little snitch, and the old-fashioned re-download and reboot) but none of this works. Hopefully by next wednesday there will just be an updated, working version of Steam. I'm immediately regretting deleting Crossover and jumping in to this version, I'm going through TF2 withdrawals!

bobleeswagger
05-14-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm having similar problems. Tried all of the previous fixes, (creating 'Steam' folder, DL'ing files, have no router/peer guardian/little snitch, and the old-fashioned re-download and reboot) but none of this works. Hopefully by next wednesday there will just be an updated, working version of Steam. I'm immediately regretting deleting Crossover and jumping in to this version, I'm going through TF2 withdrawals!

Yes im doing the same thing you are.. Old fashioned, crossover never worked for me so it doesnt bother me once i deleted it just a waste of space for me, but im going through counter strike source withdrawals for about 3 or 4 years now.. i miss that game so much

iRod
05-15-2010, 12:12 AM
all that is done.. i dont have peer guardian, nor little snitch, firewall is turned off and im running no router on my comp at all....

I was soo angry myself that nothing was working but after disabling peer guardian and creating the steam folder mine works fine on my iMac and my MacBook pro. On my iMac I did ensure the mac osx firewall was turned off and also I did go into system preferences , network and simply disabled the wifi and plugged in a cat 5 cable and then removed it and enabled wifi again which others have had success from doing but if you don't have a router and have the cable straight from the modem to your mac it should he fine!

Also I have not recieved a reply at all from steam support who I emailed a few days ago now ( feels like years ) luckily I was able to fix my problem before they could even send an email!!!!

jonsanchez1995
05-15-2010, 03:13 PM
when you create a steam folder in application support do you have to put anything in that folder? I tried putting the steam application in the and the same error as everyones still shows up.

iRod
05-15-2010, 07:36 PM
when you create a steam folder in application support do you have to put anything in that folder? I tried putting the steam application in the and the same error as everyones still shows up.

No the folder should be empty!

iRod
05-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Finally I got a email response from steam !

Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Please exit Steam and go to the folder Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam Delete all of the files in this folder. Then, you will need to launch Steam.app from your Dock or Applications folder. With Steam running, re-test the original issue. Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Dimikill1622
05-16-2010, 02:41 AM

where did u find that? coz' i cant find a folder. plz help :confused:

iRod
05-16-2010, 03:27 AM
where did u find that? coz' i cant find a folder. plz help :confused:

I think just people that did the BETA have the folder. Create a new empty folder yourself !

Dobida
05-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Finally I got a email response from steam !

Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Please exit Steam and go to the folder Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam Delete all of the files in this folder. Then, you will need to launch Steam.app from your Dock or Applications folder. With Steam running, re-test the original issue. Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games. Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

didn't work :(

66Rocket
05-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Hi guys, I just installed steam on my Mac. I am running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and when I try to start up Steam for Mac, I get the message, "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again." I am obviously on the internet, as I am typing this right now.

Thanks,
PopcornColonel

The quoted folder is not there!! Still can't get this thing to work after 3 days. I may just give up and write Steam off as a bad job with too many issues. I am still waiting for tech support from Steam to get back to me.

bobleeswagger
05-20-2010, 03:03 PM
this is so frusterating i was excited for the mac release

Smehrt
05-26-2010, 11:05 PM
This is really frustrating, i wish Valve would do something about this..at the very least make it a sticky thread please?

Seriously, look at the view count. 58 posts and over 6000 views.

hicough
06-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Download this:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15362738&postcount=246

Bengalnator
07-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Download this:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15362738&postcount=246

Thank you so much! This worked like a charm!

EDIT: Login screen is completely blank. *sigh*

nextmullen
08-13-2010, 01:42 PM
I tried all these things and nothing work. I uninstalled, re-downloaded steam and recieved an update error once again. I did absolutely nothing and kept retrying and suddenly, It updated and worked.

I believe all those fixes were just coincidental timing when the server properly responded.

My advice, just keep trying to update until it eventually works.

ColdBrew
08-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks japoorvkhatreja!

A lot of work but it worked. It seems the steam server did not want to give me those files. I kept getting 404 error in the browser. I copied the URL's from the console that you referred to. Pasted them in to Firefox and proceeded to hit reload about 100+ times for each file before I finally got them all. WORKED!

It has to be a problem on Steams side... I don't see that there was anything that could be done to fix it on the client side. Their server just isn't giving us the file!

rkcoyote
08-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanks,
PopcornColonel

This still happens today if you set offline mode...

Bunnykookie
10-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Nothing worked.

2) The URLs are -

:o HELLO ! I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!! WHAT IF THE LINKS ABOVE ARE BROKEN? THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I CLICK ON IT. ONLY THE 2ND AND 6TH ONE WORKS.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I LOVE CSS

Silicon Vampire
10-09-2010, 06:52 PM
o HELLO ! I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!! WHAT IF THE LINKS ABOVE ARE BROKEN? THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I CLICK ON IT. ONLY THE 2ND AND 6TH ONE WORKS.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I LOVE CSS

There have been updates since this post was active last. I don't doubt those files are no longer available.

Your issue would be best queried in the Mac section just beloow this forum on the main page.

MacOnBoard
11-05-2010, 09:49 AM
if the links are no longer aviable you have to read out the console for the lastest packages.

MFG mastermac (joke^^)

EPIc assassin
12-19-2010, 10:04 AM
I contacted steam support and they told me to make sure that my firewall is disabled on my mac

and then asked my if I had some programs blocking it but I was to lazy to write back all of this so I saved my system profiler report to them and they told me to first reset my router -besides I'm connected wirellesly- so I did and it didn't help...

BUT then they told me to be 100% sure that my firewall on my ROUTER is disabled so I disabled the firewall on my router and I worked out fine...

hope it helps ;)

EPIc assassin
12-19-2010, 10:26 AM
For everybody who says "I have tried this for 3 days" you should just chill and have some patience... I mean look i've tried this for 2 weeks now and a reply from steam support usually takes a day so just chill

Yansky
12-20-2010, 09:35 AM
I also have the same problem but none of the fixes in this thread seem to have worked for me. Anyone have any other ideas?

Cheers.

barbapapa
12-20-2010, 04:00 PM
I think I may have found a solution. Although downloading and installing this works: (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15362738&postcount=246), as posted above, it messes up steam. It lets you pass the update process but it makes you unable to join steam servers.

I think the solution might be to:

Install steam, open it, close it upon connection error
Download file above and open package, copy contents folder
Open package of original steam app and delete contents folder, paste other contents folder
Voila

I'm downloading css right now to test whether i can join servers.

Sikosis
12-20-2010, 05:48 PM
So this thread is a little stale from June -- but I've just tried to open Steam (even though I was using it in October) and now it doesn't work -- fails trying to update.

Can't even run it in Offline mode -- so can't play any of the games I've bought.

Ah Steam, if it's not one problem it's another.

konsoleXD
12-20-2010, 07:32 PM
So this thread is a little stale from June -- but I've just tried to open Steam (even though I was using it in October) and now it doesn't work -- fails trying to update.

Can't even run it in Offline mode -- so can't play any of the games I've bought.

Ah Steam, if it's not one problem it's another.

it's not that stale. i'm getting the same problem. OS X 10.6.5
well I guess i'll get to play valve complete pack someday later. stop sucking for mac valve. ;)

barbapapa
12-21-2010, 09:42 AM
My 'solution' didn't work out so I'm still waiting for a fix on this one, also 10.6.5

rectangleboy
12-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Aight, everyone. I tried the Console version of the fix and it worked. Let me outline and walk you through what I did, 'cause trying those links and quickly trying the fix on my own didn't work. There may be something unique to each computer's Steam attempt.

These were done after I reinstalled Steam from scratch (I cleaned it out using AppTrap, then installed the 1.5 Mb download from Steam, which still wasn't working).

1) Run Steam. It'll fail after some time.

2) Open up your Console. It's under /Applications/Utilities/Console.app. Take a look at your "system.log" file. It's on the sidebar to the left and find where Steam did it's thing.

3) One of the first things Steam did will say "Package file package/[complex name of some file] missing, enquing download." It seems that these files need to be in the Steam folder "package," but aren't, so it's going to search for them.

http://i.imgur.com/NuK2X.png

4) For me, there were 7 files. You don't have to memorize them, but at least become familiar with the last few numbers and letters of the files so you can differentiate them; you'll need to search for them in the log (by eye - I wouldn't wanna' try a quicksearch in this whole mess).

5) Go down a few lines and you'll see Steam trying to download them; it'll be sending and queuing requests and stuff. As you peruse, you'll see where it "Failed!" where it had "Success!" 1 of mine went though, while 6 did not. Depending on how far your Steam made it (I think), you may have more or less.

6) Find "Sending request for http://..."

http://imgur.com/QJEpz

Those are where you're gonna' find those missing files - the ones that Steam is failing to download.

7) Download your files. Put them in a folder. Don't modify them in any way - i.e. don't uncompress, rename, or anything. Programs work with their own language, so don't ♥♥♥♥ with it.

Verify that all your files that you found in [4] are in the folder you have.

8) Go to steam in your Applications folder.

Right click and choose "Show Package Contents"

http://i.imgur.com/OEVHh.png

9) Open up the "Contents" folder, then "MacOS," then "package." There may be a file or two in there already. I had one already, so I left it as it is (i.e. I only added files into the folder - I didn't rewrite anything).

Note: The below picture I took after I got Steam working. A few things were different, like the "package" folder was empty (except for the 1 file that made it through) and "package" was one of the only folders or things in the "MacOS" folder.

http://imgur.com/bAxyV

Let me know if this works for you at all. Also, ask me questions, if you have them. I'm just sayin' that this worked for me and I haven't run into anything, yet. I'll let you know if I do run into problems.

Yansky
12-23-2010, 03:35 AM
I finally got it to install on a clean system. I think rectangleboy's idea of uninstalling with AppTrap is the way to go.

BTW, here are the package files in case rectangleboy's solution doesn't work for you:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2067588/Steam%20Package%20Downloads/bins_osx.zip.c142c18f1d54fa969d0f8dc50e6956560ffd9 a25
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2067588/Steam%20Package%20Downloads/breakpad_osx.zip.27f59114a86fcd50533e1d7b128f93009 47f9969
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2067588/Steam%20Package%20Downloads/miles_osx.zip.4850803f70b6846d7653bb926760e35bf910 befd
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2067588/Steam%20Package%20Downloads/public_all.zip.bdf97deae1c4a1de274011b11e0ac9f8336 e1b6d
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2067588/Steam%20Package%20Downloads/skins_all.zip.6a58428db616736d79a3374ba75abd29e2c1 276f
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2067588/Steam%20Package%20Downloads/steam_osx.zip.40673e786e6abfc2c9298a5f8d213f46436c 7659
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2067588/Steam%20Package%20Downloads/webkit_osx.zip.98b47456b0de2d7e7f234f10649087f51cb 53f1d

teymd4
12-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Same problem, i don't have a steam folder either. What can i do?.....Help  

teymd4
12-25-2010, 01:43 AM
I don't have a steam folder either. What can i do. Help   

Weatheredruins
01-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Are any of you using PeerGuardian?

If you are, download AppTrap, completely remove PeerGuardian from your computer and try relaunching Steam.

goffelpoes
03-03-2011, 12:03 AM
I tried all on this forum and NOTHING worked. Initially I had incorrectly setup allowed ports on my router.

The solution was exactly where I first started, the firewall on the router...

Don't try anything else until you've shut off your router and/or your computer's firewall.

I have a Netgear router and needed to turn off port scanning and DOS protection.

Checkbox listed as:

Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection.

Once the update ran successfully and Steam was installed, I was able to change the setting back and launch steam with no problems so it seems it's only required for the initial install.

taraba
03-19-2011, 05:17 AM

I encountered this problem too and that fixed it for me too

DOAbla
03-19-2011, 08:52 AM
i'm getting the same issue for the last 2 days.

i've deleted everything that involves steam, app and the supported app library, and reinstalled the client, but I still get the same error.

one thing that was changed since the last time i've connected was that i've changed my snow leopard to 64bit.

Ace00731
04-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Do not listen to any solutions! All of them are dumb luck. It just so happens that they worked. HELL still try them if you want to. Maybe Restart you computer. It just takes time for it to work properly. Time and a few tries. Sit and wait for it to upload, dont walk away. Keep your computer active.
I had the same problem as all of you. And i had patience and tried a couple times, and even visited this forum.

johannes
06-24-2011, 11:26 PM
I tried everything here but nothing worked. No firewall, direct connection to modem bypassing router, manually downloading the files etc. I have another computer on the same network and that worked fine but that's Windows.

Anyway, I tethered my smartphone to the Mac and downloaded the updates successfully. So for those still struggling with it, try another Internet connection.

DAMMM
07-10-2011, 06:07 AM
Very nice, more specifically you need to just delete "registry.vdf"well i cant find the steam file or registry.vdf soo....... how?:(

Aerafiq
07-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Don't bother with the router/ports stuff, if you are able to use Steam on your PC it should work on the Mac as well.

Back to the original question, if you haven't used the beta and don't already have the <user>/Library/Application Support/Steam folder, just create it then try again. It should fix your problem.

I just got my MacBook Pro today, and the first thing I did was of course, to install Steam. I'd like to thank you very much - this solution still works, even a year later!

Can't believe I had to manually create that folder myself. But honestly, do I HAVE to? Really, Steam? Really? Anyway, I'm not even gonna complain, God bless y'all for the Steam Summer Sales.

Tomtdb
07-21-2011, 10:58 PM
First; I am new to mac, just bought a macbookpro three days ago. Also I bought CIV V on a DVD. When trying to install the game, i noticed that Steam was necessary. After installing Steam from the DVD I got the same error message as you guys in this forum; "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again." I also tried to reinstall Steam from downloading it from Steam, but same problem occurred. I also received the message: "steam needs to be online to update but was set to offline mode".

This turned out to be an error from the Steam settings, not a firewall/port problem. Heres how I solved it:

The problem is in the file "registry.vdf". You should find it here: users/youraccountname/Library/Application Support/Steam.

To find this folder open Finder and choose your name at the left. If you can not find any Library folder under your name, it is because it is hidden. I found out by trying to add a folder called Library (bibliotek in norwegian), and got a message that is already existed. I found a way to show hidden files and folders here (in norwegian):

http://mac1.no/artikkel/5936/hvordan-vise-skjulte-filer-i-leopard

Basically you need to open Finder, choose programs/tools/terminal and write:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true
Then press enter.
Then write:
killall Finder
Press enter again.
Then hold Ctrl+Option (Ctrl+Alt) while you click on Finder, and choose Relaunch.

Now you should find users/youraccountname/Library/Application Support/Steam in Finder. (You can reverse the procedure if you want later, by entering false in stead of true. )

Then you need to edit the Registry.vdf file. I found the solution here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1056068

In the Steam folder, right click (click with two fingers on the pad) on the registry.vdf file. Choose open with TextEdit. This is basically the registry hive Steam uses in windows. Go to the Registry - HKCU-SOftware-Valve-Steam-Offline key. Change the value from "1" to "0". Save and close registry.vdf.

Then start Steam again, and now it should work. It turned out that being the DVD game was a scam, cause i needed to download the whole game from Steam anyway. My advise is to buy the game online cheaper.

In my case this procedure took quite a bit of time to sort out, and a whole lot of frustration. Not good Steam, really this is not good. There has been a lot of posting about this problem, and Steam really should have sorted this out a long time ago for mac users.

awesomebad
11-18-2011, 02:40 PM

THANKYOUTHANKYOU all cod and no tf2 makes awesomebad a dull boy

Kr1sP
06-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Didn't work...by 'it' I mean deleting steam file. It just kept making more and if I made my own file named steam it would put registry in there. So...I opened registry.vdf and set it to open in steam. then it glitched out and opened steam but I could not access the program. Went back and opened registry and it downloaded all the necessary files and steam opened by itself. Seriously though Valve, these random fixes for your issue from 2010? Get on this ♥♥♥♥, it's 2 years later and you haven't done a thing.

ipariszalonna
01-24-2013, 12:52 AM
For Windows users:
I encountered the same problem on Win7 64bit and what solved the issue for me was the following:
"windows key + r, then type "regedit" using the folders that pop up, navigate to:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Va♥lve/Steam" then double click the offline option that will appear on the right, and set the value to 0"

This was posted on Youtube by 'matt123337' on a video about the issue on MAC.

builderkid107
01-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Okay, I set steam to offline mode so i could put on a hl mod. It keeps trying to update but tells me that "extracting package" then eventually "Steam needs to be online to update, but was set to offline mode"
This is really annoying. Any ideas?

Merciful_Zodiac
01-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Okay, I set steam to offline mode so i could put on a hl mod. It keeps trying to update but tells me that "extracting package" then eventually "Steam needs to be online to update, but was set to offline mode"
This is really annoying. Any ideas?

Let me redirect you to another thread... (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3064463)

builderkid107
01-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Let me redirect you to another thread... (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3064463)

Thanks bro!