PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age: Origins for Mac

DesolataX
05-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Has there been anything said about Dragon Age: Origins for Mac being available on Steam? I already own it on Steam for Windows, but would LOVE if I was able to grab the Mac version as well.

Ferazel
05-12-2010, 06:50 PM
There hasn't been any word on EA games coming to Mac. However, since EA games use CIDER (translation software) and they would run like crap I don't know how much we're going to be missing.

FuzzyPuffin
05-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Ferazel's Wand was the best game ever. Man I wish it ran in OS X.

And yes, EA's "ports" suck. not missing anything.

rexbinary
05-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Yes it was. I still have my original CD. :D

poopdedoop78
05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
even though they do suck, It wouldn't be too hard to add them to steam, they'd just have to add the cider container to the mac download...

superberg
05-12-2010, 10:09 PM

And yes, EA's "ports" suck. not missing anything.

Look into Sheepshaver. I use it to play Deathground, another Classic Mac app that won't otherwise run on modern macs.

Innervision180
05-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Honestly, I'd rather not get a game at all than get a Cider port.

Its like if your girlfriend said she was making you a big American breakfast with eggs and bacon and the works. Except you get it, and it turns out to all be imitation, vegetarian eggs and bacon. While it may still taste OK, and you may like it to some degree, it just isn't the same thing. :(

SerFox
05-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Honestly, I'd rather not get a game at all than get a Cider port.

Its like if your girlfriend said she was making you a big American breakfast with eggs and bacon and the works. Except you get it, and it turns out to all be imitation, vegetarian eggs and bacon. While it may still taste OK, and you may like it to some degree, it just isn't the same thing. :(

You haven't even tried any of Transgaming's (Hahaha...shush :( ) releases, have you?

Tut, tut, tut...

Innervision180
05-13-2010, 12:35 AM
You haven't even tried any of Ambrosia's releases, have you?

Tut, tut, tut...

Actually, just one. SketchFighter 4000 Alpha. Great game. I've used some of their other products as well. I'm well aware of them. Why?

Astraos
05-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Not to mention EA may not be willing to do the work required to port it. OSX as a platform has received little love in the past few years, excepting Steam releasing a Mac version. Hopefully it can pave the way, but its going to be a long process. Don't expect many recent third-party titles anytime soon.

SerFox
05-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Actually, just one. SketchFighter 4000 Alpha. Why? Do their other games use Cider?

Ah holdon, getting my companies mixed up here, I did mean Transgaming, my mistake. Believe it or not, their websites look almost identical, hence my confusion.

http://www.transgaming.com/

Yes it is Cider, but they know how to damn well use it. DA:O is already there.

Let me fix my posts now.. and go to bed...

Innervision180
05-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Ah holdon, getting my companies mixed up here, I did mean Transgaming, my mistake. Believe it or not, their websites look almost identical, hence my confusion.

http://www.transgaming.com/

Yes it is Cider, but they know how to damn well use it. DA:O is already there.

Let me fix my posts now.. and go to bed...

In that case, yes I have, though I'll admit I never actually purchased one myself. I'm also very familiar with Wine/CrossOver, from which Cider is a fork of.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion. I just feel that they don't run quite as well, are more of a system hog, and are just not the kind of tech a company should rely on for commercial products.

I will give them credit for getting the games up and running as well as they did, and for luring some of the bigger companies over to the Mac with a cheaper porting solution, but nothing beats a well done native port.

punksdad
05-24-2010, 02:12 PM
City of Heroes/City of Villains (and Warhammer Online) are Cider ports, and they work great. Performance is good, they're on par with the Windows versions, etc.

The Mac port of Dragon Age: Origins is a HUGE disappointment, and it's not because of Cider:

* no patch (still at 1.0)
* no downloadable content (tab in-game is disabled)
* no expansion
* no response from EA, BioWare or Transgaming about if/when any of these will appear
* support requests get you canned Windows responses

You can use trickery to install some downloadable content. Some.

:mad:

The "best" thing about paying full price for DA:O when it was released for Mac is that I was able to use the auth code to download the Windows version and play it via Boot Camp. It's a fantastic game, but I'm really annoyed at how it's essentially full-price abandonware at this point.

I wouldn't expect it to show up on Steam unless EA suddenly decided to support it.

Splinterchaos
05-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I have dragon age for mac and it works very well. I have the last gen macbook pro, and though there were maybe...two times there was some sort of error, the rest of the game was fine.

FuzzyPuffin
05-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Look into Sheepshaver. I use it to play Deathground, another Classic Mac app that won't otherwise run on modern macs.

Doesn't work (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104947&st=0) for Ferazel, unfortunately. :(

DarkRepublica
05-31-2010, 03:46 AM
I just wish i could run space paranoids.

treid for months to cider that stuff, drove me insane. now excuse me while i rip off my ear.

Sargiel
07-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Mac version has been updated to 1.03 and the 1.04 patch is in the works. Also DLC is starting to become available with Return to Ostagar available now and more to follow.

I would prefer to buy via steam so I'm holding off buying for the moment.