PDA

View Full Version : Portal automatically stops downloading

(mahagam3r)
05-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I am downloading portal on my 2008 MBP. . . I have a 4.5mpbs connection, so earlier today I kicked off portal expecting it to be done a couple hours later. I came back and it was around 80%, but my mac was acting weird so i paused the download, and rebooted. when i booted back up, i "resumed update" and it just sat at "starting download..." and would hang there forever. so I sadly deleted the local files and started over.

Now it's up to 57%, but it will occationally stop downloading. it will say "download paused" for a few minutes, then pick back up. is this just due to steam server overload?

100|SoCo
05-12-2010, 06:09 PM
When I downloaded Portal earlier today it would randomly pause.

I just clicked the pause button and then the resume button and it worked. I had to do it around 4 or 5 times. Other people have mentioned it on the forums, so it's not just you.

ramper
05-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I've got a 12 mbps connection and its taken me a couple hours to get to 75%. I'm sure its a combo of high volume of download traffic for a FREE!!!! copy of portal + bugs in the Mac steam client. My client has crashed at least 4 times now. I'm right there with you.